• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

heh guys,

sorry to divert the thread just wanted to get involved,

i have not yet played demon's souls, have heard alot of great things and alot of horrid things but all are intriguing. and the continuing hype and news about dark soul's has really got me intrigued.

probably gonna pick me up a copy on saturday, or should i just jump to dark soul's

also a little bit scared

greyshark

TheExplodingHead said:
I probably should know this by now, but whatever. Anyway to rapidly/easily change the world tendency to white. Every other playthrough I just went in a grabbed the Dragon Bone Smasher but now it's blocked by "non-PWWT rubble"... Guess I died a few too many times on Flamelurker. Also would help me getting into the area with Miralda considering I forgot all about that area before progressing to 1-3.

As far as I know the only way to shift WT to white is by defeating bosses. You'll get a +3 shift when defeating the various named BP's, but you have to be in PBWT in the first place so that won't really help you. I think even if you killed the Primeval Demon and the Named BP at the same time you end up 1 level short of PWWT.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
So yeah, Im playing DS and I revisited Boletarian Castle to challenge the knight with the red eyes and see what he was guarding in that room. Keep in mind Im doing this as a level 20 soul with no armor, a soldiers shield and a long sword. So after numerous resets I kill that damn knight and pop open the doors and there to greet me is Old King Doran and he offers me a sword but only if I best him in battle so while he's talking I just start to unload on this guy. I dodge all his slow ass hits and just go to town on him and I'm only inflicting -2 damage on the guy. He attacks me and I block it and it removes 3/4 of my health bar!!! Ridiculous thank God I have extreme reflexes so I reset the game before it could save. But man his health bar didn't visually drop at all regardless of all the hits I landed. It was actually kind of scary, I'm guessing the sword he's guarding is extremely powerful.

greyshark

Allonym said:
So yeah, Im playing DS and I revisited Boletarian Castle to challenge the knight with the red eyes and see what he was guarding in that room. Keep in mind Im doing this as a level 20 soul with no armor, a soldiers shield and a long sword. So after numerous resets I kill that damn knight and pop open the doors and there to greet me is Old King Doran and he offers me a sword but only if I best him in battle so while he's talking I just start to unload on this guy. I dodge all his slow ass hits and just go to town on him and I'm only inflicting -2 damage on the guy. He attacks me and I block it and it removes 3/4 of my health bar!!! Ridiculous thank God I have extreme reflexes so I reset the game before it could save. But man his health bar didn't visually drop at all regardless of all the hits I landed. It was actually kind of scary, I'm guessing the sword he's guarding is extremely powerful.

You should use your extreme reflexes to dodge his attacks instead of focusing on resetting the game ;).

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
greyshark said:
You should use your extreme reflexes to dodge his attacks instead of focusing on resetting the game ;).
Once I died and was in soul form I never would've been able to beat him lol. But those extreme reflexes came in handy here today

uhhhh soooo

I've restarted the game seeing as I'm probably not going to get my original save file back... I'm in 2-1, someone invades, clears the entire level and leaves me so much shit that I feel like I could probably beat the game now. like 99 legendary soldier's souls, 99 renowned, 88 dark moon grass...

is this even... legal?

Zzoram

brandonh83 said:
uhhhh soooo

I've restarted the game seeing as I'm probably not going to get my original save file back... I'm in 2-1, someone invades, clears the entire level and leaves me so much shit that I feel like I could probably beat the game now. like 99 legendary soldier's souls, 99 renowned, 88 dark moon grass...

is this even... legal?

Why not?

People are probably just helping out new Demon's Souls players and giving away stuff because they're about to stop playing and switch to Dark Souls.

Grinchy

Banned
brandonh83 said:
uhhhh soooo

is this even... legal?
lol he probably used the duplication glitch and goes around giving people stacks of stuff

no I mean I think it's awesome, I had almost no interest in replaying it after the effort I put into my first file. It just caught me by surprise is all.

Oppo

So yeah, like many of you I started on this again since I only ever got like 3 demons in prior, and it feels a shame to let that go. Started a Hunter class, experimenting a lot with the combat, I think I like him. A lot of stuff is slightly counterintuitive to me like, he's really excellent with a dagger or mail breaker, just totally goes to town prison style and shiving the hell out of undead dudes. Normally I would have gone straight sword but I'm more aware of the proximity of my surroundings now. I try to play it as cautiously as I would in real life (optimistically, heh), that helps with certain decisions.

We'll see how far I get. What's the recommended world order again, anyone recall?

edit - and oh yeah what's the deal with the actual demon souls (items) you gain? shouldn't use them till later as I recall but I don't know for what...

so should I just go ahead and use all these souls he gave me? god damn.

edit: I did now I have 804,000 souls hoooly what

I'm playing as a royal (lol), what stats should I use these on? or do I have so many that it doesn't really matter?

PortTwo said:
edit - and oh yeah what's the deal with the actual demon souls (items) you gain? shouldn't use them till later as I recall but I don't know for what...

You need the named boss souls to buy advanced spells and weapons later on.

also I seemed to have acquired some rare weapon upgrading materials... just to make it clear I'll post what I have:

Shard of Hardstone (17)
Large Hardstone shard (4)
Chunk of hardstone (1)
Shard of sharpstone (8)
Large sharpstone shard (3)
Chunk of sharpstone (1)
Shard of Clearstone (6)
Chunk of Clearstone (1)
Shard of Dragonstone (2)
Shard of Spiderstone (6)
Chunk of Spiderstone (3)
Pure Spiderstone (1)
Shard of Meltstone (1)

basically... what should I do with all this shit? yes I am a complete noob and completely baffled by what my next course of action should be.

Riposte

Think might sound like heresy to some people, but I would have liked to be able to trade crafting shards(and only crafting shards) in some anonymous/auction house fashion.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
brandonh83 said:
so should I just go ahead and use all these souls he gave me? god damn.

edit: I did now I have 804,000 souls hoooly what

I'm playing as a royal (lol), what stats should I use these on? or do I have so many that it doesn't really matter?
Dude hook me up with some souls lol.

AwesomeSauce said:
Dude hook me up with some souls lol.

I'm wondering too, how much should I save for weapon upgrading? or should I just not worry about that? SO MANY QUESTIONS

how do I hook you up with souls.... again SO MANY QUESTIONS. I'll give you some but keep in mind I'm trying to beat this as fast as possible since Dark comes out Tuesday!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
brandonh83 said:
I'm wondering too, how much should I save for weapon upgrading? or should I just not worry about that? SO MANY QUESTIONS

how do I hook you up with souls.... again SO MANY QUESTIONS. I'll give you some but keep in mind I'm trying to beat this as fast as possible since Dark comes out Tuesday!

Pick a weapon you like and modify that weapon to a stat you like. For example if you like dexterity, upgrade a weapon with the spiderstones and push your dex up high. How do you pick a stat? You just do. There are weapons you can find in the game already upgraded down a certain stat path that you can use to shortcut the first few levels of upgrading. Most people will say a blessed/faith build is the best. Also get your endurance up high enough that you can block/roll a fair amount without being drained. If you're terrible at the game get some vitality but you really shouldn't be getting hit much once you know how to play the game/the level designs. If you want to cheese stuff, I recommend dexterity and a quality (spider) bow.

After using everything I'm up to soul level 75.

My dexterity is at 16, but my magic is 35, vitality 21, int. 35, luck 17... so I'm guessing I should focus on magic then, since I didn't use much on dex.

I have the compound short bow, should I get the long bow and upgrade that one?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
brandonh83 said:
After using everything I'm up to soul level 75.

My dexterity is at 16, but my magic is 35, vitality 21, int. 35, luck 17... so I'm guessing I should focus on magic then, since I didn't use much on dex.

I have the compound short bow, should I get the long bow and upgrade that one?

Never touch luck. It does nothing. You don't need it. Yeah, go magic. Crescent weapons and throw some soul arrows around. Boom game complete.

worldrevolution said:
Never touch luck. It does nothing. You don't need it. Yeah, go magic. Crescent weapons and throw some soul arrows around. Boom game complete.

duly noted, won't touch it again. just grabbed the compound long from 4-1 and managed to kill an invader! what can you tell me what I need to know about crescent weapons? also where can I get some good armor for a royal?

I'm an expert

All of worlds 3 and 4 are good for magic items/weapons. You being a royal means nothing, what you want to know is where you can get some good armor for your playstyle. If you plan to be ranged and lightfooted rolling around, you can basically wear anything since your defense is your agility. If you plan on being up close and willing to take some hits, you can find entire sets of armor in worlds 1 and 2. I definitely recommend beating 4-1 for the boss' shield.

I guess I just care more about looking a bit cooler than I do right now, lol

But yeah, probably going to be more of a ranged fighter. I'm dreading the maneater boss but maybe it will be easier this time. thanks for the help. :)

I'm an expert

If you want to look cool you want the armor set from 3-2 from a certain..person. Or you'll have to play with tendency to unlock the Brushwood set in 1-1.

Binx

Went to BB to pick up Ico/SotC, but they had zero copies. I walked out with Demons Souls instead. I don't even know what I am doing. But I am ready to die.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Finally past the first area. Decided to hop straight into the 4th area. Got ganked. Headed back to 1-2 and then someone came into my game and killed me...dat death.

This game is good though. Super addicting.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
entrement said:
Beat the Phalanx. I have 5600 souls. I'm a temple knight, what should I focus on upgrading next.
Depends completely on how you want your build to end up! Endurance never hurts (more stamina and equip burden).
MThanded said:
Finally past the first area. Decided to hop straight into the 4th area. Got ganked. Headed back to 1-2 and then someone came into my game and killed me...dat death
If you're using shield: go back to 4-1 and master the art of blocking and side-strafing and YOU'LL be the one ganking those skeletons.

entrement said:
Beat the Phalanx. I have 5600 souls. I'm a temple knight, what should I focus on upgrading next.

My advice is dump souls into Vitality/Endurance/Strength/Dexterity early on, at least:

-Vitality = 12
-Endurance = 15-20
-Strength = 15-20
Dexterity = 17-20

That way you end up allocating the post-10,000 points where you want them vs. where you need them. Of course if you're a magic/faith-based user you could swap out Strength for Magic or Faith early on.

stupei

I know you can basically make it through the game using whatever if you're agility based, but is there any cool looking armor that's not too bad on equip burden?

Zzoram

MThanded said:
Finally past the first area. Decided to hop straight into the 4th area. Got ganked. Headed back to 1-2 and then someone came into my game and killed me...dat death.

This game is good though. Super addicting.

4-1 and 4-2 are good farming sites once you're a bit stronger.

In terms of order of progress, 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 is probably the order you want to do.

stupei said:
I know you can basically make it through the game using whatever if you're agility based, but is there any cool looking armor that's not too bad on equip burden?

Those Black/Assassin stuff in 3-1? They're really light.

inky

Zzoram said:

In terms of order of progress, 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 is probably the order you want to do.

This is good to know. Done with 1-1 and 1-2 today and I must say Tower Knight was easier this time around than I remember (only died once :p). Although it might be due to me rolling Royal instead of knight this time. I'll probably leave 2-1 for tomorrow.

Binx said:
Went to BB to pick up Ico/SotC, but they had zero copies. I walked out with Demons Souls instead. I don't even know what I am doing. But I am ready to die.
Then you know exactly what you're doing. Godspeed.

Zzoram said:

I'd go with 3-1 after 1-1 if your character can use magic. You'll be able to save Freke and use the boss soul to learn Soul Ray which is amazing. Boss is super-easy too.

greyshark

Fahrenheit said:
Wish someone would pop into my world and set me up.

Don't - getting overlevelled like that will just cheapen your experience as you'll basically be invincible through most of the beginning stages.

worldrevolution said:
Im pretty sure it enhances the damage for the blue blood sword but yeah for him its woudl do nothing of worth.

monkey pickle

Neo Member
just started replaying in preparation for dark souls....i was kinda rusty. plus i realized that quite a few of these bosses i never actually defeated by myself. feels good to do it alone since hardly no one plays this. one boss left to go.

Binx

fredrancour said:
Then you know exactly what you're doing. Godspeed.

Ha! Thanks. I felt pretty badass last night, jumping in, killing everything, not dying, then ran into that red eyed knight. Fuck him. Fuck him right in his red eye!

J2d

Bought this game again and made a character that was focused on magic. I'm never gonna make that mistake again. The game becomes so boring and I can't think of anything as horrible as having to go through Valley of Defilement with the monks headgear.
worldrevolution said:
Unless you want to experience the awesomeness of the Blueblood sword! God I hope there's something like it in Dark Souls.
monkey pickle said:
just started replaying in preparation for dark souls....i was kinda rusty. plus i realized that quite a few of these bosses i never actually defeated by myself. feels good to do it alone since hardly no one plays this. one boss left to go.
I'm under the impression that the community is pretty healthy still, maybe it depends on the region.

kyubajin

Dunno if this has been posted before, but I found this blind run incredibly addicting and fun :D

My thoughts so far: it's hard. I've neglected to check any guides, including the instruction booklet, to aid in my playing of the game. In fact, the only help I've received since starting is advice from a couple watchers in the form of comments. And even then, frustration is abound...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
This might sound odd but I would love some cool pictures of players in awesome armors/wielding sweet weapons. I just adore the art.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Can someone do me a favor and de-level a couple of my characters? I'll trade anything except Foe's Ring if you want. I'll even provide the spices.

entremet

TheExplodingHead said:
My advice is dump souls into Vitality/Endurance/Strength/Dexterity early on, at least:

-Vitality = 12
-Endurance = 15-20
-Strength = 15-20
Dexterity = 17-20

That way you end up allocating the post-10,000 points where you want them vs. where you need them. Of course if you're a magic/faith-based user you could swap out Strength for Magic or Faith early on.
Thanks. I'm know getting owned at the tunnels :*(. Man this game has a crazy difficulty curve.

Should I stick to 2-1 or grind?

Isamu Dyson said:
heh guys,

sorry to divert the thread just wanted to get involved,

i have not yet played demon's souls, have heard alot of great things and alot of horrid things but all are intriguing. and the continuing hype and news about dark soul's has really got me intrigued.

probably gonna pick me up a copy on saturday, or should i just jump to dark soul's

also a little bit scared

Get Demons Souls, and enjoy what is (so far) the most engaging, intense, immersive and downright best game that's come out in the last 5 years :)

Regardless whether Dark Souls manages to match (or even surpass) its predecessor's greatness, Demons Souls will always be - by any measure - a game truly worth experiencing; a true classic that will entertain, haunt and inspire gamers for countless years to come.

Top Bottom