• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

LifEndz

Hey Gaf, I need some help. After looking at Dark Souls I decided to finish playing Demons Souls. I'm level 63 and right now I have the Morion Blade and a Sharp Broad Sword +2. I just beat the Dragon God and I'm a Knight class. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where or how I might obtain a really good sword or other weapon to use based on where I'm at in the game. The Morion blade is really clunky and the sharp broadsword doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot. Any help is appreciated.

LifEndz said:
Hey Gaf, I need some help. After looking at Dark Souls I decided to finish playing Demons Souls. I'm level 63 and right now I have the Morion Blade and a Sharp Broad Sword +2. I just beat the Dragon God and I'm a Knight class. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where or how I might obtain a really good sword or other weapon to use based on where I'm at in the game. The Morion blade is really clunky and the sharp broadsword doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot. Any help is appreciated.

what are your STR, DEX, MAG, FTH stats?

Facism

lol i'm stuck between 1-4 or the entirety of world 5. done everything else except PBWT events on 2, 3 and 4.

Like being stuck between 2 logs of shit.

kyubajin

I'm making a DEX build and would like to know if there is a concensus for the best weapons to upgrade to sharp. Also, are the rest of the upgrades worth it for DEX builds? What shield and upgrade would you recommend for PvE? Thanks in advance.

kyubajin said:
I'm making a DEX build and would like to know if there is a concensus for the best weapons to upgrade to sharp. Also, are the rest of the upgrades worth it for DEX builds? What shield and upgrade would you recommend for PvE? Thanks in advance.
Are you making the build for PVP? The default dex build here seems to be a pretty good choice: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:21
I've never made a Dex build but the uchigatana seems to be the best choice for sharp upgrade. Also, make sure to use the sticky compound long bow, I imagine it's damage is massive with high dexterity characters. If you use the Makoto or Hiltless you could equip the Adjudicator's shield to regenerate the health you lose. The DSS is probably the best shield overall no matter what build you're using but you could also use a steel shield for blocking purely physical damage. It has the same guard break reduction as the PFS (82 when fully upgraded) but it's lighter and has a lower strength requirement and since it's a large shield your guard won't easily be broken.

Yo Gotti

Banned
LifEndz said:

Explore the caves in 2-2, you can find a Dragon Long Sword there. That should get you started with a decently powerful weapon.

Rough directions on how to get it, best I could find in video form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6WyBx5CAMA&feature=player_detailpage#t=539s

What you'll probably want to do is buy a Knight Sword or Claymore and pick an upgrade path that you'll want to stick with.

brandonh83 said:
How should I upgrade the compound long bow? It's giving me options... I could do +4, sticky... stuff like that, what's good?
It depends on your stats and the build you're making. Sticky is for high dex characters. Quality bases stat bonuses equally on strength and dexterity so if you're keeping those even choose that. The basic upgrade path (+4 etc.) will have the highest base damage but it has the weakest stat bonuses. If your character is a mage or your strength and dexterity are both low (especially if your dexterity is low) then the basic upgrade path is the right choice.

electroshockwave said:
It depends on your stats and the build you're making. Sticky is for high dex characters. Quality bases stat bonuses equally on strength and dexterity so if you're keeping those even choose that. The basic upgrade path (+4 etc.) will have the highest base damage but it has the weakest stat bonuses. If your character is a mage or your strength and dexterity are both low (especially if your dexterity is low) then the basic upgrade path is the right choice.

That certainly helps, thank you!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
brandonh83 said:
How should I upgrade the compound long bow? It's giving me options... I could do +4, sticky... stuff like that, what's good?
Already been said by my good man electroshockwave, but yeah it depends on what you want to primarily put your stat points in. Sticky is AMAZING when putting your points in dexterity.

inky

Had my first Black Phantom invasion in 3-1... worst of all, I was AFK (on the phone) =/
Not sure if I could have taken him, but I wanted to fight.
I'm enjoying the game, actually dying less than I imagined so far and haven't lost souls yet. I know I'm still very early, but I think I'll keep going this time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MThanded said:
I booted up to play and died 3 times in a row from falling. Time to take a break....
Haha my man, you stressed up or something?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
could anyone help a brother out? I'm currently on 2 - 1 attempting to kill the flame spider however I didn't have any magic as I'm playing as a barbarian so I died and as a result I went back to the nexus to buy soul arrow and I learned it and remembered it but for some reason the spell still doesn't work I don't understand why, God I'm going to punch someone in the face, not really I'm mostly harmless. Im soul level 30 if that matters.

Yoshichan

Allonym said:
could anyone help a brother out? I'm currently on 2 - 1 attempting to kill the flame spider however I didn't have any magic as I'm playing as a barbarian so I died and as a result I went back to the nexus to buy soul arrow and I learned it and remembered it but for some reason the spell still doesn't work I don't understand why, God I'm going to punch someone in the face, not really I'm mostly harmless. Im soul level 30 if that matters.
You need a Catalyst for that!

1-2 Boletarian Palace - Atop the first tower on the bridge.
3-1 Tower of Latria - Purchased from Once Royal Mistress vendor for 1000 souls.

If you've already gotten it, you need to "Remember" the spell. Talk to the NPC and choose to activate it~

Yoshichan said:
Already been said by my good man electroshockwave, but yeah it depends on what you want to primarily put your stat points in. Sticky is AMAZING when putting your points in dexterity.

I'm such a clueless idiot when it comes to this game. It has so many options and I guess where I'm trying to beat it quickly, I'm obsessed with making the best decisions possible.

entrement said:
Thanks. I'm know getting owned at the tunnels :*(. Man this game has a crazy difficulty curve.

Should I stick to 2-1 or grind?

You could grind a bit I suppose, if you're confident and skilled enough you could farm the Red Eyed Knight on 1-1 for a lot of souls. But 2-1 shouldn't be too bad, just learn the level inside and out and be prepared for the Armored Spider (it's very easy if you know a good strategy).

Here's pretty much the best non-puss stategy for the Spider usiing a melee character (I'd recommend the Purple Flame Shield for this too early on): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjQgSJSTGbM

Yoshichan

brandonh83 said:
I'm such a clueless idiot when it comes to this game. It has so many options and I guess where I'm trying to beat it quickly, I'm obsessed with making the best decisions possible.
Then go with my recommendation (HARR, HARR!) :D You can get some fine damage with the Sticky Compound +5 if you put enough dexterity. The soft cap for it is 40 dexterity (after that you'll barely notice any difference unless you put a bunch of extra points in it).

brandonh83 said:

There's an excellent wiki, to look what different upgrade paths do. You should check it.

Either way, you can look wat different upgrades before chosing, if you already know how you're gonna growth your character you can easily choose what upgarde go.

Also you shouldn't give that much thought, even just going the basic upgrade path of any weapon should give you enough power in your first playthrough, I had a winged spear + 10 and it hits enough to even take the hardest bosses.

LifEndz said:

Put the morion blade on your back while you wield something 2hand and equip the clever rats ring and run around with less than 30% health and scream bloody murder.

I still use the knights sword because I'm comfortable with it and I have learned its range. There are better weapons out there but I usually go back to the KS.

ScrubJay

I've beaten Tower Knight and Armored Spider today. It's been pretty good, somethings nagging me and wanting me to go back and play more. Learning the bosses makes it feel good when they go down. Just winging it seems to be going well enough for me as long as I take it slow.

Styles

So I had PBWT for world 3, went to 3-1 but could not find Lord Rydall(searched everywhere) Anyone know why?

I'm on NG++ now though, so it doesn't matter, but I want to know.

1stStrike

Banned
I made two characters in this game originally - a mage class and a templar knight that regen'd HP. The 2nd one was far better imo with the spear and shield and I'll be looking to do that in Dark Souls as well. It saves so much inventory space (and makes you a bitch to kill in PvP) when you can just regen all your HP back :)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I started as a thief. Finally got around to looking at the wiki... I may have goofed.

Now I understand why I can't wield most of the things I pick up. I will try to tough it out though.

Would it kill for this game to have a checkpoint system in place so that we don't have to redo a level from the start every time we die? It gets old. I don't call that a challenge. I call that bad design. Otherwise, it's a great game and glad I gave it a chance. In world 3-1 at the moment.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Good lord the Blessed Mirdan hammer is broken in pvp. I usually roll Blessed claymore and would only use Blessed Mirdan hammer very sparingly in pve. Sheesh, they weren't embellishing over at the wiki forums. I decided to give it a spin and I've killed 7 BPs in a row with it, almost all of them in one combo string. Went from pure black ct to pure white in minutes. I almost feel bad for the poor bastards.

shiroryu

Finally got the time to beat 1-1 yesterday; running past the bridge with the dragon was awesome, successive rolls past the guards was a great moment. Phalanx was easy with firebombs and Soul Arrow, though I had some nervous moments at the start when the mini-Phalanxes surrounded me. Touched the demon inside the Maiden :)

I don't get why FromSoft made it so you can't level up till you beat 1-1; it probably leads to frustration for the players who don't get why they can't level up. Even in-story, it doesn't make sense for the Monumental and the MiB to wait till the player beats a demon. Hell, after reviving you in the Nexus, the MiB just disappears...

MThanded

Ben Pierce said:
Would it kill for this game to have a checkpoint system in place so that we don't have to redo a level from the start every time we die? It gets old. I don't call that a challenge. I call that bad design. Otherwise, it's a great game and glad I gave it a chance. In world 3-1 at the moment.
I just started this game and I actually disagree. If there were better checkpointing a lot of the charm would be lost IMO.

The way re-spawning works forces the player to adjust their playstyle and play it safe rather than risky. Also since you can reclaim your souls you have incentive to fix your mistakes.

MThanded said:
I just started this game and I actually disagree. If there were better checkpointing a lot of the charm would be lost IMO.

The way re-spawning works forces the player to adjust their playstyle and play it safe rather than risky. Also since you can reclaim your souls you have incentive to fix your mistakes.

Agreed. This is one of the main draws of the game for me, it forces you to get better. Eventually you'll own face all the way to the boss. Also, Ben Pierce, you can open up shortcuts down the road that help quite a bit in certain areas. And don't forget the Wiki, community help can be half the fun if you choose to use it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Facism said:
lol i'm stuck between 1-4 or the entirety of world 5. done everything else except PBWT events on 2, 3 and 4.

World 5 is actually the shortest world :D use a map if you need to :p

So I caved in and started playing this as preparation (...and way of handling the horrible wait) for Dark Souls.

I didn't even remember where I'd left my game off - turns out I had just finished my NG+ and left it at exactly the beginning of my NG++. Perfect :)

Might shoot for the platinum trophy and a couple of world tendency events I missed out the previous time.

Akainu said:
When do you find or make new armor? I've been stuck with the same set since I started I want something new.
What armor are you using and which levels have you beaten? I usually stick with the black leather set you find in 3-1 until I can get either the Ancient King's or Binded set in 1-1 (depending on whether my character is male or female). There are stronger armors but I prefer having a lower equip burden for higher mobility and not having stamina regeneration impeded by heavy armour.

Akainu

electroshockwave said:
What armor are you using and which levels have you beaten? I usually stick with the black leather set you find in 3-1 until I can get either the Ancient King's or Binded set in 1-1 (depending on whether my character is male or female). There are stronger armors but I prefer having a lower equip burden for higher mobility and not having stamina regeneration impeded by heavy armour.
Knight I believe. It's all Fluted armor.

Akainu said:
I think it's better to be able to dodge quickly so maybe you could use a mixture of the fluted and the leather (you can buy it from the vendor in world 4 once you free him) or black leather sets so that your equip burden is under 50%.

kyubajin

I've been listening to the amazing KING'S FIELD original besttrack which includes all the music from the first 3 games, anyone else a fan of the King's Field music? Favourite songs?

Also, does anyone the name of this song from KF IV? As there is no soundtrack release all I find is game music rips but none of them include this song which is my absolute favourite of all the KF music.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Anyone get invaded often?

I feel like I get invaded at least once or twice every session. Always gets my heart racing when that message appears.

So far I've been able to win the majority of the invasions only got killed twice IIRC. Sometimes when I coop with my buddy, we double team the hell out of the unsuspecting black phantom.

shiroryu

What do people generally do with the Phalanx's soul? The Scraping Spear seems to be kind of underpowered unless you're trolling armored enemies with it. Is it better to just consume it for the souls?

kyubajin

shiroryu said:
What do people generally do with the Phalanx's soul? The Scraping Spear seems to be kind of underpowered unless you're trolling armored enemies with it. Is it better to just consume it for the souls?
Scraping Spear is very nice for PvP :D troll-worthy almost and the amount of souls it gives is negligible.

MThanded

Was rolling a thief a bad idea for a beginner?

Was there a class description on the starting screens? Did I miss it? How would I know what each class was like before choosing?

MThanded said:

Was there a class description on the starting screens? Did I miss it? How would I know what each class was like before choosing?

I found magic was easiest to being with. The beginning of the game seems a bit harder, but once you get rolling it's a lot easier especially the bosses; I dumped everything into Magic (and a bit of Vit) so I have to be careful and dodge a lot... but most things don't live more than 1-2 hits of Soul Lance and even bosses drop pretty fast to magic.

shiroryu

MThanded said:

Yeah, thief is tough for a beginner, because though it starts at Level 9, it has a lot dumped into the Luck stat which is kind of useless unless you plan to go for a certain sword.

Melee-wise, temple knight is beginner-friendly as you get armor plus the Heal miracle; if you want to go magic, royal is the best class.

There's no description as to the challenge level, unfortunately. However, if you can get past 1-1, you start finding items 'belonging' to other classes, so you can always shift over pretty soon. 3-1 for example has magician and temple knight equipment, so if you grind a bit you can raise your stats to go the direction you want - melee, ranged, magic, hybrid.

Zzoram

Facism said:

The 5-1 boss is the easiest thing in the world, if you have a range attack. You can just stand up way above it and shoot down without ever getting hit.

MechaX

Man, 2 characters, now four playthroughs, and 70+ hours in and invasions are still more annoying to me more than anything else. I typically end up winning significantly more than I lose, but 100% of the time BPs catch me the exact moment I'm trying to get something accomplished. I know, you can just play offline, but 9 times out of 10 I swear BPs just have bad timing.

In case point, guy invades me in 1-1 when I'm starting a NG+ cycle. Personally, I would never try to invade in 1-1 given how you have no way of knowing if the player is on a new cycle or what, there area is pretty huge, and you have no idea what gates, if any, the host has opened yet. I'm dicking around on the other side of the map for a good 15-20 minutes before letting down the final gate to fight Phalanx. This BP literally waited 10 minutes at the Phalanx gate. I think "Oh man, that's dedication. He must really want to fight." And the fight essentially goes...

*Soul Ray takes off 2/3rds of BP's Health*
BP starts casting a miracle. I don't know if it's Second Chance or God's Wrath, but I keep my distance.
*Casts another Soul Ray, BP dead in under 20 seconds total*

MechaX said:
Man, 2 characters, now four playthroughs, and 70+ hours in and invasions are still more annoying to me more than anything else. I typically end up winning significantly more than I lose, but 100% of the time BPs catch me the exact moment I'm trying to get something accomplished. I know, you can just play offline, but 9 times out of 10 I swear BPs just have bad timing.

I agree. I'm relatively still a novice, but I finally beat this game the other day for the first time and the BP invasions can get really annoying. I recall playing on 1-3 one night for the first time trying to get through it. Make it close to the end and of course I get invaded and its some guy with some crazy armor and I just get destroyed. Start level over, use an emphermal eyes(since I want full health for the boss), get to the final steps with all the red eye knights. Get invaded again by the same fucking guy and get killed. After that I just played offline and fought penetrator(and died). I just played that level offline until I beat it.

MThanded said:

Doesn't really matter. If you've beaten 1-1 then just grab the wooden catalyst on top of a tower in 1-2, then go to the nexus and buy soul arrow and you'll basically be rolling a Royalty.

Top Bottom