• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Man I am grinding so hard in this game lol. I keep collecting souls by killing the red eyes knight then letting old king Doran kill me, so far I've gotten 78,000 souls by dying and recollecting my soul. Doing this I thought up a way to beat king Doran as well. I learned that my standard and strong attacks only do only about 4-9% damage however if I reposte/parry him it does 45 and his health drops way faster. The only drawback is that if I mess up its a one hit kill. Hopefully after I get 100,000 souls I'll return to the MiB and level up a bit and go to 2-1 somehow find a catalyst and defeat the armor spider and find a sword in 2-2 that's supposed to be powerful and pay Old King Doran another visit. Maybe I'll also learn that shield spell, that should make the encounter infinitely easier too.

I'm genuinely glad I gave this game another chance. I bought it and Catherine at the same time though I've bought Demon Souls a grand total of 3 or 4 times but this time I've decided to stick with it. Thought I would enjoy Catherine more but surprisingly this game has risen to be one of my favorites in my PS3 game collection but I still do dread loading it up once and a while.

So I platinumed this game a few days ago. I did it the hard way, no duping or trading, on one character. I have about 150 hours of playtime. It was tedious as hell, but it feels good man.

Though I'm a little burnt out on this game right now, I can safely say that I'm prepared to die.

Replaying to prep for Dark Souls...almost done with NG++ at sl 123and finally playing online for the first time (I know...).

Anyway, I managed to summon someone in 4-1 but he died immediately. It seems like there aren't very many of the blue summon signs around.

Also not sure how to make MYSELF available to help out others.

Relaxed Muscle said:
I had a winged spear + 10 and it hits enough to even take the hardest bosses.

Haha, my winged spear is only +9 but it's been my primary weapon in all three playthroughs I've done thus far. It takes longer to whittle away at some of the tougher enemies' health, but the melee combat is so enjoyable that I don't mind the challenge. It has such excellent reach, too. Hoping there's a nice winged spear in Dark.

Zeth

Revisiting 5-2 today since I put it down a few months ago. Cleared everything except 5-2 onward. It's a god damn nightmare for me.

So I decided to try playing this again after only reaching Level 16 over a year ago. I still suck, and 4 hours later have made zero progress. Maybe I just don't understand how to play? I can't really remember where I'm at, but I've a warrior class and finished the first two areas. At the recommendation of a few guides I moved onto stonebridge, but am constantly having my ass handed to me. I've got a shitty sword, zero souls and am pretty much out of health. I tried the area 50 times and made no progress. Talk about frustrating. Any recommendations on what I should do? I'm just about ready to say I'm just too shitty at the game to make it worth me while.

sublimit

Banned
Kyleripman said:
Also not sure how to make MYSELF available to help out others.
Choose the level area you want to play,and use a blue eye stone while you are in soul form.
place your sign either at the start of the level or right outside a boss area.

Superblatt said:
So I decided to try playing this again after only reaching Level 16 over a year ago. I still suck, and 4 hours later have made zero progress. Maybe I just don't understand how to play? I can't really remember where I'm at, but I've a warrior class and finished the first two areas. At the recommendation of a few guides I moved onto stonebridge, but am constantly having my ass handed to me. I've got a shitty sword, zero souls and am pretty much out of health. I tried the area 50 times and made no progress. Talk about frustrating. Any recommendations on what I should do? I'm just about ready to say I'm just too shitty at the game to make it worth me while.
Have you tried to upgrade a long bow and use ranged attacks?Also having the thief's ring always equipped helps a lot.

Chinpoko_Master said:
So I platinumed this game a few days ago. I did it the hard way, no duping or trading, on one character. I have about 150 hours of playtime. It was tedious as hell, but it feels good man.

Though I'm a little burnt out on this game right now, I can safely say that I'm prepared to die.
You are a saint.

deim0s

Zeth said:
Revisiting 5-2 today since I put it down a few months ago. Cleared everything except 5-2 onward. It's a god damn nightmare for me.
I held out finishing the level, being intimidated by poison and getting clubbed by giants repeatedly. So started fresh, restocked and ran thru it carefully. Surprised that the last two bosses were easy for my 70-ish knight,basically breezed thru it.

Only left is the two kings. Any advise? Got level-drained by the false one. Add the fact that the game won't give me chunks of grey and dragonstones. :p

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Just got the Demonbrandt by impressing Old King Doran! I whooped his ass, just kept circling him and critical'ing him from the back. Question can I kill him and take his armor?

QisTopTier said:
Go around them?

Well where's the fun in that? ;)

Anyway, can anyone confirm whether online is still fairly active? Can't seem to find many blue phantoms, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

LifEndz

weekend_warrior said:
what are your STR, DEX, MAG, FTH stats?

STR: 25
DEX: 15
MAG: 20
FTH: 17

I also just cleared 1-4 and I didn't see Ostrava (the gold knight) at all. I don't remember ever letting him die or not saving him. Did I lose out on getting the key he carries?

neoemonk

I made it up to Phalanx again today but had to stop. I love this game, and I haven't even scratched the surface. Seeing new areas is such a great feeling. I hope the whole game is like that for me.

It's also really cool knowing there are places I can go back to, even in the first world, like the two dragons or the red eyed knight.

After months I'm still stuck on the Armoured Spider..

I know how to cheese it, I'm just not sure how to go about it. I have no potions and only 15 arrows, so I'm wondering: can I go back to another area to gather items, souls etc (I've died once or twice over) or should I just start the game again?

I'm still trying to get back into this with the hype of Dark Souls. I remember defeating the first boss but not sure if this is on the save file I'm playing- wouldn't the gate be open if it were defeated?

kyubajin

Sigh, I was sniping Black Phantom Scirvir and the mutha'ucker jump down the ledge... I switched off the PS3 Immediately and when resumed playing Scirvir was there but he wouldn't take damage anymore... I returned the nexus and I'm in PBWT no more, if I suicide once more will I be able to kill the fucker and contiue with the tendency events?

MarshMellow96 said:
After months I'm still stuck on the Armoured Spider..

I know how to cheese it, I'm just not sure how to go about it. I have no potions and only 15 arrows, so I'm wondering: can I go back to another area to gather items, souls etc (I've died once or twice over) or should I just start the game again?
Your best bet is to farm souls and buy 80+ arrows. You can farm blue eye knights, fat officials, and if you can do it, the skeletons in 4-1 are a very fast way to farm souls.

Noaloha

Square Triangle said:
I'm still trying to get back into this with the hype of Dark Souls. I remember defeating the first boss but not sure if this is on the save file I'm playing- wouldn't the gate be open if it were defeated?
If by 'first boss'* you mean the squidgy black tar-monster covered in shields and spears, yes, that big portcullis across the crenellated approach, straight ahead of where you zone into the very first proper level (1-1), will be open.

If the portcullis is closed though, you may as well just cruise along for the ride and start as you are, afresh and green. Soak up the lessons 1-1 teaches you, pop 'em in your pocket.

*There's a slim (very slim!) chance that your mention of 'first boss' refers the big ugly bastard you meet at the end of the initial tutorial level -- I get the feeling this is not the case however.

Toodles said:
If by 'first boss'* you mean the squidgy black tar-monster covered in shields and spears, yes, that big portcullis across the crenellated approach, straight ahead of where you zone into the very first proper level (1-1), will be open.

If the portcullis is closed though, you may as well just cruise along for the ride and start as you are, afresh and green. Soak up the lessons 1-1 teaches you, pop 'em in your pocket.

*There's a slim (very slim!) chance that your mention of 'first boss' refers the big ugly bastard you meet at the end of the initial tutorial level -- I get the feeling this is not the case however.

Yeah I meant the black tar creature that you use firebombs on. I just haven't played this game in so long I'm lost.

Styles

So someone invaded me today on my new character, and he killed me after fleeing from about a dozen times to heal up. I had 3 grasses with me, knew I should have escaped, cheap bastard.

I have to say, I like the strength build better than the magic one I had in my first play through. I can at least take more than two hits now.

ScrubJay

I think I'm hooked on this game. I've spent 6 hours or so playing today. Cleared world 2 and 3-1 and 4-1. Playing melee was rough as hell at first against tower knight but it's worked out well now that I've got enough HP to last a bit longer under fire. I'm using the Dragon Sword +2 and Winged spear+4 with a +5 Purple Dragon Shield. I wonder if my good luck is about to run out here.

E : Looks like I lucked out and found a Dragon Bone Smasher.

anyone with the asian/chinese version have a pure moonlightstone and/or pure bladestone or equivalent +5 weapon they want to trade me? can match any soul level. wanted to get a second plat before dark souls but i'm pretty tired of trying to do it the hard way.

I've been playing this in preparation for Dark Souls -- my first time though. About 15 hours in and I just have 1-3 and 1-4 left to go, I think. I almost quit after dying right before the end of 3-1 after a cheap mistake and falling to my death, but I picked it up again a few days later and have been tearing through the rest. Great game, can't wait to wrap 'er up and tear into Dark Souls.

Man, 4-2 is giving me some serious trouble! I'm a magic user, and use Soul Ray as my primary attack. I can take out the first reaper, and the silver and gold skeletons no problem. But when I get to the caves (past the first fog) the new lurkers are destroying me! They use a ranged beam attack that darn near kills me. I can live and take them out, but more often than not when I am fighting the 2nd/3rd one, the other ones respawn (thanks to the reaper) and shoot me from behind.

Any good tips for a magic class for this area? If I can make it to old hero my magic attacks will annihilate him... but GETTING there is tough going!

I've got 4-2, 5-2, 4-3, 5-3, 1-4 left to go (planning to do them in that order).

Sykotik

I was in the same situation as you. After I got to the second area with the spirits, I just killed the very first one, and ran past the rest to the boss. It sucks, but if you're pure magic, as I was, it's just way too much of a pain to deal with those spirits. Though, have you tried the main fire spell? Perhaps that will make it easier, though, I didn't try it myself.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yep, my good man Sykotik already said this but running past those beam-guys is the preferred way to go.

Blackheim

Heh, Tower Knight made me his bitch, twice. Will whip him another day when I have time >_> I have to work all day the next 3 days :/

Yoshichan said:
Yep, my good man Sykotik already said this but running past those beam-guys is the preferred way to go.

I guess this is a moot point but I also found it easy to roll right under the beams and then attack again (as long as you're careful not to roll of a cliff).

Whew and Old Hero goes down, next up 5-2! I think I may need to break and do some farming, the previous bosses were no sweat with my magic. Old Hero was supposed to be weak to magic, but it still took quit a few shots of soul ray to bring him down, even with the +magic kris and ring. I guess I could have ran up and firestormed him, but after all that dying to the Soul Lurkers I just wanted to cheese it :)

The reaper suicide trick worked perfect on the 2nd reaper, then I took your guys advice and just booked it past the 3rd one. I also sprinted through the slug room since Sticky White Stuff is no use to my caster. Besides with Old Hero dead, I can go back easy enough now.

EDIT: Any build advice? My caster is currently:

Soul Level: 58
VIT: 10
INT: 40
END: 8
STR: 9
DEX: 12
MAG: 40
FTH: 12
LCK: 7

Im using Venerable Sage gear, Crescent Falchion +3, and Dark Buckler +2.

Sykotik

Your build looks strikingly similar to mine. I stacked every level of mine in to Will and MAG, and it worked wonderfully until 1-4. Every single gud durn thing in 1-4 killed me in one hit. I went through all my ephemeral eyes, I had to resort to overpowering people as a black phantom to get my body back, but I stopped doing that cause I was invading the same person over and over who was having the same trouble I was. Eventually, I managed to get through it with Total Protection, I think it's called Ward in the US version. You may want to just start putting into Vit. NG+ will be a nightmare too, without more Vit.

Bad7667

Can someone please help me. I am having a very hard time fighting any enemy without dieing. I am Royalty and my specs are

Vitality 12
Intelligence 18
Endurance 11
Strength 29
Dexterity 14
Magic 18
Faith 12
Luck 7.
Soul Level 41

I just killed the Old Hero.

I'm hardly an expert at this game, but I honestly feel like you placed way too much into Strength while not putting nearly enough into Vitality and Endurance to really take advantage of it. Not to mention I think 4-2 is meant to be more of a late-game stage, so a SL of 41 would leave you with relatively light defense.

Updating my progress: I just plowed through Maneater, Old Monk and Penetrator tonight. Excluding the final boss, I've got five stages left in the game (4-2, 4-3, 5-2, 5-3, 4-1).

Made some good progress today, but wow, 4-2 really intimidates me. I reached the boss and died within 10 seconds. I'm further along than I was on my first playthrough which is on my dead PS3, but yeah, 4-2 scares me, I'm blocked by a giant dragon in 1-4, and I don't even want to go anywhere near 5-2.

Bad7667

SpeedySwaf said:
I'm hardly an expert at this game, but I honestly feel like you placed way too much into Strength while not putting nearly enough into Vitality and Endurance to really take advantage of it. Not to mention I think 4-2 is meant to be more of a late-game stage, so a SL of 41 would leave you with relatively light defense.

Updating my progress: I just plowed through Maneater, Old Monk and Penetrator tonight. Excluding the final boss, I've got five stages left in the game (4-2, 4-3, 5-2, 5-3, 4-1).
Okay. I have 49000 souls, should I use them to level Vitality and Endurance?

Can you tell me what world I should be doing with my soul level?

Also my equipment; I am using the gloom armor with black gloves and leggings. My sword is a Bastard sword +2. Is that okay for my level?

Thanks.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Bad7667 said:
Can someone please help me. I am having a very hard time fighting any enemy without dieing. I am Royalty and my specs are

Vitality 12
Intelligence 18
Endurance 11
Strength 29
Dexterity 14
Magic 18
Faith 12
Luck 7.
Soul Level 41

Your vitality is way too low, IMO. Get it up to 18-22.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Bad7667 said:

Vitality 12
Intelligence 18
Endurance 11
Strength 29
Dexterity 14
Magic 18
Faith 12
Luck 7.
Soul Level 41

Vitality needs to be higher, strength is way too high, it should only be that high if you have Crushing weapons which I assume you don't. Royaltys are usually for mage builds.

Zertez

brandonh83 said:
What should I do with the boss souls? I've read time after time to not use them, but what are they for?
Many of the souls can be used for upgrades to weapons and trades for spells etc. Best to check Demon Souls wiki on which are ok to eat and which ones are needed for items. Later on farming souls is extremely easy and eating them is not worth it.

Zertez said:
Many of the souls can be used for upgrades to weapons and trades for spells etc. Best to check Demon Souls wiki on which are ok to eat and which ones are needed for items. Later on farming souls is extremely easy and eating them is not worth it.

Cool, I'm playing as Royalty, magic level is 41 I think, is there anything that I should, particularly, try to get for that setup concerning the boss souls? I'm seeing that I can upgrade to a Soul Ray, is that pretty useful if you use Soul Arrow extensively?

And Dirty Colossus goes down.. finally. Now I see why people dread 5-2... it's an interesting level, but the combination of no visibility + being lost + swamp makes you move slow + being poisoned all the time is a big drain. After that, my favorite part of being a caster... Warding then run up into the bosses face and a single firestorm wipes him out ;)

Just the 4-3 and 5-3 bosses left, then 1-4, then I can finally beat this game and feel good about buying Dark Souls on Tuesday :D

brandonh83 said:
Cool, I'm playing as Royalty, magic level is 41 I think, is there anything that I should, particularly, try to get for that setup concerning the boss souls? I'm seeing that I can upgrade to a Soul Ray, is that pretty useful if you use Soul Arrow extensively?

Well take my advice with a grain of salt, as I have not even finished the game yet (getting there though). I found Soul Ray to be far more powerful than Soul Arrow, and at soul level 60 (and quite some time before that) it's my staple spell. Until you have a good mana pool though it can be a real mana hog. For a while I had soul ray for bosses and soul arrow for the regular enemies.

Now I use Soul Ray all the time and for the weaker enemies I have a Crescent Falchion (which gets damage from your magic stat) and I just slash them. Even large groups of enemies can be overcome with that sword + Warding spell cast on myself.

Oracle Dragon said:
Well take my advice with a grain of salt, as I have not even finished the game yet (getting there though). I found Soul Ray to be far more powerful than Soul Arrow, and at soul level 60 (and quite some time before that) it's my staple spell. Until you have a good mana pool though it can be a real mana hog. For a while I had soul ray for bosses and soul arrow for the regular enemies.

Now I use Soul Ray all the time and for the weaker enemies I have a Crescent Falchion (which gets damage from your magic stat) and I just slash them. Even large groups of enemies can be overcome with that sword + Warding spell cast on myself.

Is the Crescent Falchion the "best" sword for mages?

Man, I really want to play this game, but keep putting it off. The game has been shrinkwraped & sitting on my shelf for over a year.

I love the thought of playing a great looking, difficult loot game with good unique dungeon design with tons of secrets & exploration paths.
Yet, every time I contemplate trying the game, I remember if you get killed & can't get to my original dead spot, I would permanently lose all my stuff.
I remember seeing all those youtube videos of random traps that can kill you instantly & overpowered enemies with 2HK potential even at the very first area of the game. All the stuff about the game being non-descriptive of elements of the game & going in blind in some areas.

It's just too overwhelming & kept putting me off. I saw the 54 minute speed run & don't want to play it like that, but I do want to be over-leveled & OP as much as I could in the start of the game to quickly get through the game.
Has there been any tricks found to do so in the 2 years the game has been out? Youtube has a ton of video on getting 100,000+ of souls in minutes. Are any of them viable & doable at the start of the game?

brandonh83 said:
Is the Crescent Falchion the "best" sword for mages?

I don't recall too many of the unique weapons being super-great for casters. I use "Crescent Falchion" but thats because you can find one (+1) in 4-1, and then upgrade it from there. You could take any normal weapon and have it forged to "Crescent" using Darkmoonstone.

Lots of casters use a Moon weapon instead (same idea, crafted) because it does more damage overall. The Crescent weapons do less damage, but do offer some mana regen as well. I find that Cresent weapon + Fragrant Ring regen mana decently quickly and it has come in handy many times.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Yet, every time I contemplate trying the game, I remember if you get killed & can't get to my original dead spot, I would permanently lose all my stuff.

Well, you lose your souls you collected, so basically your money. You don't lose any items. And once you get a bit more powerful, you can farm souls easily, 20K+ in a few minutes, so it's not a big deal. I'm almost done the game, I have never farmed anything (thought Im tempted), and I have died PLENTY (and lost my souls as well) and I've never had a problem having enough to buy the stats/items I need.

Storm King is dead and 4-3 is done! Seems to be recommended to use the Storm sword (in that level) on him, but if you are a caster it must have taken only 6 soul arrows to take him out.

Got the Crescent, and wow, I'm destroying those rolling skeleton assholes with it. Very nice. It's fast and does a lot of damage. Now I just need to grow a pair and beat some more levels.

Top Bottom