• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Ugh... close, but just couldn't beat the false king. Definitely no walk in the park as a caster! I didn't even get to Firestorm him, because he grabbed me and soul drained my INT, and I lost the slot I needed to keep Firestorm!

At least I killed that blue dragon before the gate. That took a long time. PLEASE tell me when I go back the next time the dragon remains dead so at least I can skip that part ;)

On my NG++ right now, and since I haven't played this game in a while I'm all kinds of rusty, which means I've been dying *a lot*. Took me like 4-5 attempts to get past the Flamelurker, but that's also because I refused to cheese him even though he gave me a few openings to do so :)

I'm in 3-1 now, and those Kthulhu-esque magician lords are giving me nightmares. They've cost me about 100k in souls so far, and although it's often disheartening it never feels unfair, as every single time I die I simply *know* it happened because I became over-confident and rushed into things before thinking them through. The gameplay in this game is incredible, and regardless how good Dark Souls ends up being, I know that I'll often be replaying this game (along the few other Greats in our hobby) until I too have left this mortal realm.

Also, damn this game is beautiful in a dark, bleak and majestic way. What's great is that it never falls into the trap of feeling like other (mostly western) RPGs, that often look and feel like ripoffs/parodies of Lord of the Rings. Even the dragons (some of the most cliche and tired creatures in the genre) truly feel alive, deadly and majestic here, and create a sense of awe and respect. The only other games I can think of that have this kind of artistic coherency are Ico and Shadow of the Colossus (games that I often reference when talking about Demons Souls with my friends, as I consider them to be just as unique and important contributions to the medium as DS is).

I can rave about this game endlessly. If Dark Souls manages to surpass this, then we'll be looking at the best game of the last 10 years (which would naturally only bump Demons Souls down to second place then :)

Mana Sin

Oracle Dragon said:
Ugh... close, but just couldn't beat the false king. Definitely no walk in the park as a caster! I didn't even get to Firestorm him, because he grabbed me and soul drained my INT, and I lost the slot I needed to keep Firestorm!

At least I killed that blue dragon before the gate. That took a long time. PLEASE tell me when I go back the next time the dragon remains dead so at least I can skip that part ;)

I've seen Homing Soul Arrow make mince meat out of him before. Try that out?

ScrubJay

One shotted 1-3 and 5-1. 1-3 was a very relaxing level, and I chose the right time to lighten my armor for rolling ownage. I might end up buying Dark Souls after all, money be damned.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Oracle Dragon said:

He's dead until the next game cycle. If False King whoops you easily as mage, you might as well go glass cannon mode against him and equip the following 5 objects to greatly enchance magic power (assuming your magic is 35+):
(Monk head wrap, Insanity catalyst on one hand, Kriss blade in another, ring of magical sharpness, Clever Rat's ring)
and try to kill him in a couple shots.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Just finished doing some 1-3 invasions with my newly rolled and probably last DS character. SL40 with a Crushing Claymore +5 is leads to a hell of a lot of fun guard breaking.

I forgot how fun and intense PvP fights are in this game. I'm probably gonna spend the last couple days before Dark Souls having PvP matches, so if you get killed by a guy wielding a huge claymore and wearing Gloom Armor don't hold it against me :p.

These PvP vids have probably been posted before but they're worth reposting with all the new attention due to Dark Souls:

Dual Katana - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Lnbz9M4sM&feature=related
Ninja/Stealth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rQazewV4cw
Awesome Mage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkkUteF4Bus

EasyMode

Oracle Dragon said:
When I played a mage, I found flame toss very effective against him. Just keep some distance from him, circle strafe, and cast when he leaves himself open.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I finally beat Old King Doran with my trusty Uchigatana. The fight ended up along the tower near where you find the crossbow. God trilogy must've been on my side as Old King Doran became locked in this animation in which he'd attempt to walk back to his place of origin and wouldn't attack me so I just stood infront of him and impeded his path and "went to town" on the guy lol. I walked away with +30,000 souls, a cool ass set of armor and a stamina ring. Quick question, are there armor better than Doran's that will still allow me to fast roll? I'm soul level 53 with 29 strength.

Also I was invaded by two black phantoms at the same time yesterday, is that even legal? This happened in 3-3 while I was searching for the Dragon Longsword and Flamelurker. I was happening to be hunting a crystal lizard at the time and managed to get him then down the corridor I see these 2 crimson black things heading for and suddenly I'm like "oh shit black phantoms!" and I take off. I run back to the lift and go back up leaving them stranded. I wait about five minutes and go back down. One of them left but the other was killing those reptilian miners so I attempted to critical him from the back but he quickly turned around, hearing my armor and footsteps. I didn't want to die...I had 30,000 souls. So me and the person squares off, I assume he was a barbarian like me with a steel shield and spiked club. I easily dodged his attacks and hit him once taking off a 1/4 of his health bar. He hit me and did like 10 damage so I knew he was fucked. I baited him and waited for an opening, killed him and collected his loot.

The feeling of the battle was exhilarating! My heart was pounding and my hands got all sweaty and shaky. I was so scarred. Haven't had a game do that to me in a while. Off I go to play some more.

Allonym

Yo Gotti said:
Just finished doing some 1-3 invasions with my newly rolled and probably last DS character. SL40 with a Crushing Claymore +5 is leads to a hell of a lot of fun guard breaking.

I forgot how fun and intense PvP fights are in this game. I'm probably gonna spend the last couple days before Dark Souls having PvP matches, so if you get killed by a guy wielding a huge claymore and wearing Gloom Armor don't hold it against me.
I say bring it buddy, its your funeral and loot I'll be taking :p

Eccocid

Allonym said:
I easily dodged his attacks and hit him once taking off a 1/4 of his health bar. He hit me and did like 10 damage so I knew he was fucked. I baited him and waited for an opening, killed him and collected his loot.

As far as i know player BPs don't drop loot lol.
It must be one of those AI Black Phantoms?!

Yeeeah! Got False King this morning. Man, it's been a LONG time since I played a game so much in a session like that (not to mention even FINISHING a game), after giving up half way months ago I basically did the other half all last night. 33 hours to beat it first play through, even got a bit of time to check out NG+ before Dark Souls; what a great game.

Been playing again in anticipation for Dark Souls. Decided to try a faith build. I really love the Large Sword of Moonlight. My Blessed Guillotine Axe +5 is more powerful but I don't find it as enjoyable to use.

Kayo-kun

I'm playing NG+ and I am around soul level 100, but the servers seems to empty since I last played (its been several months). I don't even any blue phantom signs on the ground. Is it because my level is too low/high for NG+? I also live in Europe so the timezone might play a role in this (I have the US version), but there were still far more players before.

Pejo

Man, NG+ is no joke at all. I'm a faith build, trying to beat 3-2 Boss, and i can barely even take off any health on it. Any Gaffers around SL106 that could lend a hand?

Oppo

weekend_warrior said:
Doesn't really matter. If you've beaten 1-1 then just grab the wooden catalyst on top of a tower in 1-2, then go to the nexus and buy soul arrow and you'll basically be rolling a Royalty.
I have a Hunter, about level 26, but no spells. I thought it was an NPC in the Nexus who sold spells but I can't find anyone who sells them...? sorry for the noob question

Sykotik

If you're facing the center of the nexus, with the blacksmith and stockpile at your back, turn to your right and go behind the pillars on the base floor, there's a guy there that sells them. Faith vendor will be on the opposite side when you rescue him, and the other spell vendors will be with the first guy when you save them.

Pejo said:
Man, NG+ is no joke at all. I'm a faith build, trying to beat 3-2 Boss, and i can barely even take off any health on it. Any Gaffers around SL106 that could lend a hand?

Just wait till you hit the next + :D

Oppo

Sykotik said:
If you're facing the center of the nexus, with the blacksmith and stockpile at your back, turn to your right and go behind the pillars on the base floor, there's a guy there that sells them. Faith vendor will be on the opposite side when you rescue him, and the other spell vendors will be with the first guy when you save them.
I found all of them but they don't sell me anything. Spell guy calls me a brute and tells me to get lost. :(

Sykotik

Your Mag. has to be at 10 or above for him to teach you anything. Also, there is a faith guy on the opposite side, you don't have to rescue anyone first. He requires a Faith of 10.

Allonym

Eccocid said:
As far as i know player BPs don't drop loot lol.
It must be one of those AI Black Phantoms?!
Awww dammit gotta get off my high horse now...lol you just pissed all over my parade.

When I was 1-1 with my Royalty character after starting over from my Temple Knight I went up to the Red eye knight to take him on as I had already beaten him with my first character. But this was during the black tendency event last October and as I approached the Red eye a BP Blue eyed knight spawned in front of him and promptly killed me. Even though it would have been impossible because I was still in soul form I was sure that I'd been invaded until I made it back up to the same point and saw the BP spawn in again.

Oppo

Sykotik said:
Your Mag. has to be at 10 or above for him to teach you anything. Also, there is a faith guy on the opposite side, you don't have to rescue anyone first. He requires a Faith of 10.
ah! thank you.

Jesus, 5-2 would be soooo easy if it weren't for those fucking giant club-wielding trolls.

And I helped someone beat 5-2 but I didn't know I wouldn't get the trophy or that the victory wouldn't apply to my personal game. But at least it gave me a sense of the whole level and the boss.

Allonym

Hey question guys...if I die and return to the nexus will my soul still be in the world I died in if I revisit it immediately afterwards? Or would I just ne out of luck?

Zzoram

Allonym said:
Hey question guys...if I die and return to the nexus will my soul still be in the world I died in if I revisit it immediately afterwards? Or would I just ne out of luck?

If you die, your bloodstain will stay near where you died until you die again. That means you can go somewhere else and go back and it will still be there, assuming you didn't die again. You can only have one bloodstain at a time, so only your newest one will persist.

LifEndz

Anyone know what the current total sales are for Demons Souls? A lot of people on my friends list are playing it now and it seems like a good amount of new people are asking questions in here.

It had sold 280,000 copies in the U.S. 18 months ago and 6 months ago the sales were still favorable. In Japan it has sold about 240,000. There are rarely European sales numbers available.

That's it. I have to finish Demon's Souls before thursday.

I think I only have 4-3, 5-1/2/3 & 1-4 to go.

I hope I can do it. I'm already scared, lol.

Sykotik

4-3 is pretty quick and easy, if you're online you should see plenty of "safe spot" messages. World 5 is by far my least favorite. I just did it again about 20 minutes ago. And 1-4 is short if you know the route and battles. Otherwise, it can be one of the most frustrating ones.

LifEndz said:
Anyone know what the current total sales are for Demons Souls? A lot of people on my friends list are playing it now and it seems like a good amount of new people are asking questions in here.
at least 500K. Last I heard was around 750K forgot where I saw that.

P.S Demon's Souls was a Greatest Hit title.

Allonym

Thanks be to everyone in this thread who's been helping me (a noob) with this game really appreciate it

Allonym

Is there a vendor who sells CHUNKS of sharpstone or CHUNKS of hardstone or is that something that has to been looted from enemies and lizards?

RyanDG

Allonym said:
Is there a vendor who sells CHUNKS of sharpstone or CHUNKS of hardstone or is that something that has to been looted from enemies and lizards?

Looted only (or treasure) on both unfortunately.

Glad to find that Dirty Colossus was one of the easiest bosses in the game. Now I just have to deal with 1-4, 4-2, 4-3, 5-3, and whatever else I don't know about yet.

Ikkarus

Yo Gotti said:
These PvP vids have probably been posted before but they're worth reposting with all the new attention due to Dark Souls:

Dual Katana - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Lnbz9M4sM&feature=related
Ninja/Stealth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rQazewV4cw
Awesome Mage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkkUteF4Bus
I lost my previous DS save when my 60GB console bit the dust, still what a lovely excuse to play it again though. :D

Just watching those 3 videos has got me interested again. Just out of sheer interest does anyone know the name of the first song played in the Ninja/Stealth video?

Kayo-kun

I dont want to brag, but I believe Faith builds are great and easily one of the best builds in the game. I am playing NG+ with my SL110 and tearing through everything so far and haven't been close to dying. I'm following Ilkar's Faith build to be more specific. I have been invaded several times today, but the black phantoms I've met so far haven't been a challenge at all and died really fast.

That Dual Katana build seems to be an interesting build. I might make a similar character just to try it out. I have a friend who are built very similar to the Firestorm mage and its very effective in PvP. It's quite risky to play since you can die easily and therefore you need to be a skilled at dodging. The thing is that that build might not kill characters with high faith and magical resistance, hence it might not be able to kill Faith builds easily.

EasyMode

Kayo-kun said:
I dont want to brag, but I believe Faith builds are great and easily one of the best builds in the game. I am playing NG+ with my SL110 and tearing through everything so far and haven't been close to dying. I'm following Ilkar's Faith build to be more specific. I have been invaded several times today, but the black phantoms I've met so far haven't been a challenge at all and died really fast.
Yeah, I have had more success with the faith build than any other. Second Chance + 14 HP regen per second + weapons with hyper armor = success.

MechaX

brandonh83 said:
Glad to find that Dirty Colossus was one of the easiest bosses in the game. Now I just have to deal with 1-4, 4-2, 4-3, 5-3, and whatever else I don't know about yet.

Save 1-4 for last. It just works better that way.

You'll have a fairly easy time with the rest of the stages. 4-2 is a little bit of a bitch to get used to at first, though.

EasyMode said:
Yeah, I have had more success with the faith build than any other. Second Chance + 14 HP regen per second + weapons with hyper armor = success.

I would imagine that faith builds are indeed pretty godly. But I rolled Pure Mage the second time around and I was essentially curb-stomping everything and everyone, even most invading BPs. It's just astonishing how almost every enemy in the game has shit magic defense. Even Old King Doran was a piece of cake despite how my first DBS wielder was only doing double digit damage to him.

Kayo-kun

EasyMode said:

Yepp, not to mention the variety of weapons you can use: Guillotine Axe, Mirdan Hammer, Claymore, Knight Sword etc. I had a Magic Katana Knight/Mage hybrid build before, but it didn't work as good in NG+ and PvP later on when everyone started building superior builds.

Massa

So there's a guy in the Nexus with messages like "Liar" and "Coward" left right next to him... is there anything special about that dude? I get the feeling I should kill him, hehe.

Edit: now it says "Be aware of the enemies cuteness"... wtf.

EasyMode

MechaX said:
I would imagine that faith builds are indeed pretty godly.
I see what you did there :p.

Kayo-kun said:
Yepp, not to mention the variety of weapons you can use: Guillotine Axe, Mirdan Hammer, Claymore, Knight Sword etc.
I'm partial to the Mirdan Hammer for guard break and Crescent Axe for hyper armor.

Yeah I was planning on 1-4 last.

I just defeated Astrea and now some
satanic organ music is playing
in the Nexus which took me totally off guard.

So it seems I'm getting kinda close to the end... thus naturally I have some questions!

1. Strategies against the 4-2 boss. I need them. My class is Royalty, focus on magic, I have an upgraded compound long bow but it basically says I'm not good enough when I equip it. I know that the fucker is blind and it's best to attack with range but apart from that I'm pretty clueless and intimidated.

2. Upgrading. I've been saving upgrade materials and have several "pure" items. At this point, and considering my class and style, what should I be doing as far as gathering new equipment, upgrading stuff, etc.? I've saved all the Demon's Souls, haven't spent a one. The only place I've seen that I can upgrading using those souls is from the miracle guy but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the boss souls there or not.

Top Bottom