• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

RyanDG

Phonomezer said:
So what is so good about the homing soul arrow?

I just bought it and it costs SO much MP to use once, I don't see the point, just use Soul Ray... unless it's useful for a boss?

What's the best place to farm souls? I need to go up a few levels methinks. I also need some new weapons, Scimitar +5 and Wooden Catalyst just won't cut it any longer, lol.

It is possible to one hit bosses with it under the right circumstances (kris blade, ring of magical sharpness, monk's head wrap, talisman of beasts, hypermode w/ insanity catalyst etc) even through new game+ with it.

RyanDG said:
It is possible to one hit bosses with it under the right circumstances (kris blade, ring of magical sharpness, monk's head wrap, talisman of beasts, hypermode w/ insanity catalyst etc) even through new game+ with it.

Oh... :D

fredrancour said:
It becomes up to 5 shots at once as your magic increases, which equals obscene damage.

Cool. I guess I'll just have to farm and pump the souls into intelligence.

Dreweyes

So because of this thread I went back to my minimal amount of hours played copy of demons souls, and beat that beast in a week! I'm so glad that I did, one of my all time favorite PS3 games for sure now! Had a blast running the knight class with the Meat Cleaver + Curse Weapon, healing shield, healing ring, and lava bow! Thanks GAF!

Dark Souls, my body.... is ready.

shiroryu

Having beat 1-1, went through the level again to save Ostrava, who I'd left hanging till I beat Phalanx. Weird thing is, both the red and blue dragons had moved on, and I easily got the Purple Flame Shield, the Strength ring, and a number of souls. Is this supposed to happen?

I can see the red dragon in 1-2 now, and I've read that the blue dragon comes back in 1-4. But it's damn awesome of the game to give you these good items early on! Half thought I'd need to risk being fried if I wanted these early.

Edit: Thinking back, it might be that playing online, I had White tendency from the server for Boletaria, and killing Phalanx made it Pure White, which let me get the items?

Having beat 1-1, went through the level again to save Ostrava, who I'd left hanging till I beat Phalanx. Weird thing is, both the red and blue dragons had moved on, and I easily got the Purple Flame Shield, the Strength ring, and a number of souls. Is this supposed to happen?
You ended up with Pure White World Tendency (PWWT) so yes. Unless you did anything to tilt toward Pure Black...

Black Phantoms just keep screwing with me.

Yesterday, I get invaded and the BP starts giving me the "come hither" gesture. Having read a couple of recent posts here about piles of free stuff, I decide to follow her. She leads me through 4-1, showing me how to skip to the Regenerator Ring by rolling over the wall and backstabbing everything to earn me souls. I'm jacked up, so I'm in front of my TV yelling, "CHAAAARGE!" as I plow through the boss fog.

X_WHATSHISHOLE_X has disconnected.

I found out later that black phantoms can't follow you into the boss fog, but I liked it better when I'd thought the guy had fooled me into thinking I had back-up, only to pull out after I'd started the Adjudicator showdown. Did kill the big guy, btw, but was shitting my pants.

It seems that either I've over-leveled my character for my point in the game, or have over-estimated the difficulty of boss battles in this game. Flamelurker has created a certain expectation for asskickings that really hasn't been lived up to since. Surely, some of the later bosses are pretty ridiculous, but Dragon God, Adjudicator, Vanguard and so on have been pretty underwhelming comparatively.

Anyone have tips for tackling the NPC BP in the poison swamp? I've tried to pull her back to the big island as suggested in the wiki, but she loses interest and I don't have the stones to keep looking behind me. Any plans to cheese my way through it?

Many thanks to you guys for offering help and answers. A lot of people really like this game because of the challenge of the unknown, but for me it has been much more enjoyable since I've come back to it and had a wealth of knowledge here to plunder.

shiroryu

Wolf Akela said:
You ended up with Pure White World Tendency (PWWT) so yes. Unless you did anything to tilt toward Pure Black...

Sweet, now the gate in 1-1 is open and I can get the Brushwood set. Though I unfortunately died in body form twice, so the world has shifted back to neutral, so won't meet Miralda.

ScrubJay

Welp I've basically finished the game. 26 hours over the weekend, and now all worlds are completed, just going to do the Black Tendency World events and call it. I think it's safe to say this is an excellent game. I stuck with the same two weapons and shield for this game so I'm looking forward to experimenting a bit in NG+.

By the way, False King really reminded me of a Ninja Gaiden boss more than anything in this game. That is not a bad thing at all.

Also replaying... And trying to get trophies.

Why do I not get the magic trophy? I've exhausted Freke, Yuria and the other guy! Do I need to equip them?

Soulhouf

33-Hit-Combo said:
Also replaying... And trying to get trophies.

Why do I not get the magic trophy? I've exhausted Freke, Yuria and the other guy! Do I need to equip them?
No need to equip them.
Make sure that you used all the bosses souls to create the special magics. Some souls allow you to make 2 different magics so you have to go through the game at least twice to get them all.

deim0s

Wow... the false king did soul drained me twice in succession! Never got the chance to get out of the way as I need to re-fill my health pronto.

Soulhouf said:
No need to equip them.
Make sure that you used all the bosses souls to create the special magics. Some souls allow you to make 2 different magics so you have to go through the game at least twice to get them all.

Literally have them all, there's nothing left for them to teach me. I've had every soul thrice now too, so there's nothing I don't have.

Is there any reason they would withhold spells?

33-Hit-Combo said:
Literally have them all, there's nothing left for them to teach me. I've had every soul thrice now too, so there's nothing I don't have.

Is there any reason they would withhold spells?
Did you get soulsucker?

hayguyz

Banned
I picked this up after a long hiatus. The first time I played I only got past 1-2 and started as a Royal so I used soul arrow a lot.

This time I started as a knight and it is very satisfying to use melee on everything. I had a really tough time with the Tower Knight and was about to give up after running all of 1-2 five times only to get killed at the boss and have to do the level again.

I upgraded my weapon to +4 and WOW what a difference it makes. I was able to defeat him no problem.

However, with Armor Spider, I feel that I just cheesed him and don't feel good about it. There was a sign to say use ranged, so I was thinking it would be a ranged fight, but I was out of magic and didn't have a bow. Right off the bat I was getting caught in web and burned. I was getting really ticked off and didn't want to lose all of my souls because I was ready to stop playing. I said f it and ran in and got stood right next to him the whole time and kept attacking and using herbs. I didn't really see him or any attacks. I would like to redo it and see what the fight would really be like, but there's no way to replay it unless I start over or wait until NG+. Le sigh.....

TUSR

Banned
hayguyz said:
I picked this up after a long hiatus. The first time I played I only got past 1-2 and started as a Royal so I used soul arrow a lot.

This time I started as a knight and it is very satisfying to use melee on everything. I had a really tough time with the Tower Knight and was about to give up after running all of 1-2 five times only to get killed at the boss and have to do the level again.

I upgraded my weapon to +4 and WOW what a difference it makes. I was able to defeat him no problem.

However, with Armor Spider, I feel that I just cheesed him and don't feel good about it. There was a sign to say use ranged, so I was thinking it would be a ranged fight, but I was out of magic and didn't have a bow. Right off the bat I was getting caught in web and burned. I was getting really ticked off and didn't want to lose all of my souls because I was ready to stop playing. I said f it and ran in and got stood right next to him the whole time and kept attacking and using herbs. I didn't really see him or any attacks. I would like to redo it and see what the fight would really be like, but there's no way to replay it unless I start over or wait until NG+. Le sigh.....
Should have just got the crescent falchion +1 from 4-1 instead of upgrading your other weapon.

Leunam said:
Are all the spells on the same character? I'm pretty sure they need to be.

Yeah, I'm using the same character, going to each magician, and none of them have anything left to teach me. I'm on NG++ too.

electroshockwave said:
Did you get soulsucker?

Yep.

This is baffling, I think for some reason it just isn't clocking it.

thefil

Squire Felix said:
Should have just got the crescent falchion +1 from 4-1 instead of upgrading your other weapon.

It's behind the dual sword red knight, yeah? At the time I was too afraid to fight him, but now that I've defeated his twin outside of the 4-1 boss I realize he is not so bad.

thefil said:
It's behind the dual sword red knight, yeah? At the time I was too afraid to fight him, but now that I've defeated his twin outside of the 4-1 boss I realize he is not so bad.

The other thing there is, you can just slip in behind him, grab it, and jump off the cliff; so even if you're not prepared to fight him you can still nab it.

Icefire1424

deim0s said:
Wow... the false king did soul drained me twice in succession! Never got the chance to get out of the way as I need to re-fill my health pronto.

Gahhhhh - I hate reading this, because this is the last guy I need to fight before I can finish the game, with the problem being I'm currently stuck at work. Dark Souls comes out tomorrow in the States, and I cannot in good conscience play that without having beaten this first.

Crunch time. Time for my wanderer to step up. Open with the White Bow at distance, close with the Dragon Long Sword. Sounds like a plan.

so how should a caster go about 1-4 boss? I tried and was immediately slaughtered.

Icefire1424 said:
Gahhhhh - I hate reading this, because this is the last guy I need to fight before I can finish the game, with the problem being I'm currently stuck at work. Dark Souls comes out tomorrow in the States, and I cannot in good conscience play that without having beaten this first.

I'm in the saaaame boat. the failboat. the D.S. Failboat.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
brandonh83, I wish I could help... I truly do. But this (for me) were one of those bosses that just 'clicked' on me once I mastered the art of rolling. You've got three invincibility frames on rolls. Use every single frame to your advantage!

Yoshichan said:
brandonh83, I wish I could help... I truly do. But this (for me) were one of those bosses that just 'clicked' on me once I mastered the art of rolling. You've got three invincibility frames on rolls. Use every single frame to your advantage!

I wish I could help myself. But I'm so close, I can't stop now.

Should I upgrade my Crescent Falchion and melee the bastard?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
brandonh83 said:
I wish I could help myself. But I'm so close, I can't stop now.

Should I upgrade my Crescent Falchion and melee the bastard?
There's really no difference if you'll go melee or caster for this fight since you'll still have to learn his patterns and avoid his attacks.

Number45

After an insane amount of avoiding playing this (I've owned it since US release) I'm finally going to dive in tonight. I have a question, as I'm likely to play some kind of magic based character - am I going to have to run around with that stupid funnel on my head later in the game?

Yoshichan

Number45 said:
After an insane amount of avoiding playing this (I've owned it since US release) I'm finally going to dive in tonight. I have a question, as I'm likely to play some kind of magic based character - am I going to have to run around with that stupid funnel on my head later in the game?
Only if you become dedicated and a pro.

inky

Lost about 25k souls in 4-1 today but finally beat it. I always miss the stupid lizards and never understand how and why they respawn. Is there any reason to upgrade any of the starter weapons? I began as royal with a Rapier, i upped it to +2 but the Crescent Falchion +1 I found is better I think. Should be reading the stupid wiki but I hate doing that.

I'm having fun but had to stop to do some chores, also, the servers seem to disconnect me often idk why. Onwards to 5-1 later today =)

Yoshichan said:
There's really no difference if you'll go melee or caster for this fight since you'll still have to learn his patterns and avoid his attacks.

So for this guy it's basically just... learn him and hope for the best? But surely an upgraded weapon would deal more damage, no?

RyanDG

brandonh83 said:
So for this guy it's basically just... learn him and hope for the best? But surely an upgraded weapon would deal more damage, no?

Upgrading your weapon will definitely help make the fight quicker.

If you are on the NA version - I may have a character that can help out on the fight if you want to try to knock it out.

Yoshichan

brandonh83 said:
Yep, will help :)

Doomrider

brandonh83 said:

I remember reading in the Deluxe Edition guide that you can equip the Thief Ring, slowly walk up behind him, backstab and repeat (hiding in the elevator area). You could also try getting someone to help.

Other than that, if you're going melee on him, yeah, upgrade your weapon. Also, rolling is a must; make sure you can do it quickly. Other than that, when he's in "stab sword into the ground" stance, run up to him and attack, that'll interrupt it; soulsucker is easy enough to avoid considering you have a decent amount of time to get away from him and the animation is easy to identify. As for the rest of his attacks, get used to them and use rolling as much as possible to get on his side or behind him. Cautiously aggressive is the way to go on this battle.

I think it's normal to get slaughtered; it happened to me tons of times. Victory will compensate for your frustration, I assure you =D

Quikies83

2AdEPT said:
Magic users best go to 3-1 right after 1-1 to free sage freke
(gives new spells like soul ray which keeps going through multiple enemies and other fire spells) His helper gives the same once he is saved but not until. Also this level gives you a tonne of spice. wear thief ring, watch the floor for holes and never show your face to the medusas (backstab)... and you will never die.....well watch out for the AI phantom which shoots crossbow...close range she will kill you if you don't have a shield. She drops good stones and the black stone for invading. (unless you killed one in 2-1- first.)

Thanks a lot!!! Some great information there!

Ashodin

Quick question about the game. I'm on 1-2 and I saw this little phantom frog thing that disappeared after I moved towards it.

deim0s

Icefire1424 said:

Crunch time. Time for my wanderer to step up. Open with the White Bow at distance, close with the Dragon Long Sword. Sounds like a plan.
Finally got the bastard. Just toughened it out man.

Dropped everything up to the half equip burden point and rolled and ganked him when the opening is wide enough. 95% of the game I ran with the fluted armour and thought why not mix em up to roll like a thief but keep defenses up for this engagement. ( basically used the gloom/silver amour and black leggings/gauntlets)

Maxrpg said:
Quick question about the game. I'm on 1-2 and I saw this little phantom frog thing that disappeared after I moved towards it.

That's not a question.

It's a crystal lizard. They drop ore and are finite, only spawning 3 or 4 times per game. Kill it next time.

Quikies83

Can anyone break down the World Tendencies for me? I don't quite follow or understand what I'm supposed to do in order to remain in WWT.
I just completed 1-1 in hollow body (died in the tutorial of course) and regained my human form.. I then died on my next attempt in 4-1.
I'm wondering if I can jump back in 1-1 (now hollow body - again) - and access some of the WWT goods.

greyshark

Quikies83 said:
Can anyone break down the World Tendencies for me? I don't quite follow or understand what I'm supposed to do in order to remain in WWT.
I just completed 1-1 in hollow body (died in the tutorial of course) and regained my human form.. I then died on my next attempt in 4-1.
I'm wondering if I can jump back in 1-1 (now hollow body - again) - and access some of the WWT goods.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

deim0s

Quikies83 said:
Player death in body form (or invading a player) in the world you're in, shifts it towards black. So, killing demons/BPs shifts it to white.

RyanDG said:
Upgrading your weapon will definitely help make the fight quicker.

If you are on the NA version - I may have a character that can help out on the fight if you want to try to knock it out.

sorry I didn't get your post until now, but yes that would be awesome! at this point I just want to see the game through so that I can start Dark Souls tomorrow. later on I will go through new game plus a few times and get the remaining trophies, so I don't mind to get help now.

anyway how would I go about meeting up with you? just at the start of 1-4? also sent you a PM just in case.

Top Bottom