• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

neoemonk

As I skim through the thread, it seems a lot of builds seem to favor magic or faith. Is there anyone who does pure melee, or is it just a terrible idea in this game?

I've only finished 1-1 by the way.

Also, should I look up easy to get secrets/hidden items/etc, or just play through the game blind? I don't really understand how the world tendency things work, other than white is easier than black, and different monsters and NPCs appear at different times. I guess what I mean is I don't know how and where to manipulate that stuff, and not sure if I should bother with it or just do a more "pure" run my first time.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
uuuuugh, I fucking hate valley of defilement. I get lost every time I play. poison swamp to my left, poison swamp to my right, rumble everywhere! where do I goooo... ;_;

I should print out a map.

Number45

I only played through the tutorial earlier, and I started a Royal (going to go pure magic if I can, usually prefer casters/ranged characters when I start a new game), but I spent a little time working on the timing of the parry/riposte mechanic and it feels wonderful when you get it right.

Is building around that mechanic a viable means of playing the game? Tough etc.? I suspect there are a load of mobs in the game that it's just not feasible for.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
To neoemonk: there's some Dexterity and Quality builds floating around, in pvp I've encountered many non-magic/faith builds. Play the first time blind and NG+ with the wiki.

To Number45: versatility is the name of the game. Sometimes parry/riposte is a viable solution, sometimes you need a big-ass shield with high guard break reduction to turtle.

cj_iwakura

Come on people, this is the last night I'll be playing this for months.

So come at me. SL 121. 4-1. cj_iwakura's the PSN, let's do this.

Wow, had the greatest fight ever with Allant. I did get help, but my helper died when the boss had half its health left. I figured it was pretty much over, but I kept my distance and fired Soul Ray at him, managing to replenish my HP/MP when necessary. Right toward the end, he just kind of seemingly changed tactics, stopped using those huge ranged attacks, and came at me. So I said fuck it, swapped my catalyst for my sword, we dueled at close range, and I took him down just barely.

THAT was an epic boss fight. So yeah, I did get help, but I still had to stand on my own for the second half of the fight.

On a side note, can you not level up after you gain access to beneath the Nexus?

nilbog21

Banned
Got an email from newegg:

"We're contacting you today regarding your recent pre-order for Dark Souls Limited Edition. Unfortunately, due to an inadvertent order error, the only version Newegg will receive is the regular edition.As a valued Newegg customer, you are receiving a token of our appreciation for your understanding and continued support, in the form of a $20 promotion code that you may use toward the purchase of the regular edition of Dark Souls or any other game you might be interested in. "

cool :eek:

2AdEPT

cj_iwakura said:

me too ....adepterik2, sl 113, 180, or 99, demon mage, faith mix, and melee. name the place, but my demon mage has to get through boletaria right now before she can get her magic ....if you invade now she is vulnerable!

2AdEPT

brandonh83 said:
On a side note, can you not level up after you gain access to beneath the Nexus?
No. once the maiden goes below you are on your own without her.....black phantom garl didn't show up for me either afterthe sword dropped in the nexus...not willing to try saving black phantoms for after end game again. I used the evacuate to get the northern regalia though....i recommend that option every time...why wait til 2-2 again?

2AdEPT said:
No. once the maiden goes below you are on your own without her.....black phantom garl didn't show up for me either afterthe sword dropped in the nexus...not willing to try saving black phantoms for after end game again. I used the evacuate to get the northern regalia though....i recommend that option every time...why wait til 2-2 again?

I see. What's the Northern Regalia?

cj_iwakura said:

I'd like to take you up on your challenge but my PS3 is taking it's sweet time to upload an Uncharted 3 video. Hopefully it'll be finished soon.

brandonh83 said:
I see. What's the Northern Regalia?
It's the sword that King Doran uses. You need the King's demon soul, the Demonbrandt that you get from challenging Doran and the Soulbrandt, which you'll get from the boss below the Nexus. It does damage based on your character tendency, at pure white or black CT it will have 540 damage.

If you return to the Nexus and go to the Blacksmith in 2-1 you can save yourself the trouble of waiting until you beat Flamelurker in NG+ to forge it. You don't necessarily need to evacuate out just go back the way you came as soon as you pick up the Soulbrandt.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
nilbog21 said:
Got an email from newegg:

"We're contacting you today regarding your recent pre-order for Dark Souls Limited Edition. Unfortunately, due to an inadvertent order error, the only version Newegg will receive is the regular edition.As a valued Newegg customer, you are receiving a token of our appreciation for your understanding and continued support, in the form of a $20 promotion code that you may use toward the purchase of the regular edition of Dark Souls or any other game you might be interested in. "

cool :eek:
Fucking dumb fucks, where the fuck am I supposed to get the CE now?

I just had a moment of insanity and deleted my character and started afresh. By the end of the prologue I'd completely forgotten what logic convinced me it was a good idea.

brandonh83 said:
so how should a caster go about 1-4 boss? I tried and was immediately slaughtered.

Thief ring and poison cloud. Mix in stealth and patience. Creep up the stairs, cast. Creep down the stairs, wait. When he drops dead, give him the single finger salute, collect your soul and move on. :)

electroshockwave said:
It's the sword that King Doran uses. You need the King's demon soul, the Demonbrandt that you get from challenging Doran and the Soulbrandt, which you'll get from the boss below the Nexus. It does damage based on your character tendency, at pure white or black CT it will have 540 damage.

If you return to the Nexus and go to the Blacksmith in 2-1 you can save yourself the trouble of waiting until you beat Flamelurker in NG+ to forge it. You don't necessarily need to evacuate out just go back the way you came as soon as you pick up the Soulbrandt.

Neato. I started my new game+ which is a real testament to how addictive the game is. Have around 150,000 souls but I'm not sure what to spend them on... my magic level is 50, intelligence is 36 or so. Vitality, strength and dexterity are pretty low, but I've found myself in situations that makes me think that I could be a good melee fighter if I built my stats in related areas a bit more.

Basically not sure if I should build my stats in other areas, like to where I can wield swords, shields better, or just keep pumping up my magic.

RyanDG

Probably wouldn't pump up magic any more, just due to diminishing returns. With that high of magic, I would probably focus on building up some vitality, intelligence, and endurance at this point. As for weapon usage, if you haven't done so already, go ahead and pump up a Kris Blade to +5 when you can and then get a crescent weapon upgrade (any of the crescent weapons are good here, but I prefer the rapier types on my mage).

With moon/crescent weapons and your endurance up a bit, you are going to be nearly as effective at sword fighting as you would be trying to boost up another stat right now, simply due to the magic damage bonus you get down the moon/crescent path (with the crescent getting any additional bonus for regen as well as the removal of the need for a str/dex bonus).

Edit - And too bad we just missed each other earlier when it comes to 1-4. Glad you got it done!

Edit 2 - At 36 intelligence - I think I would probably leave that be as well and focus on getting your vitality and endurance up.

RyanDG

cj_iwakura said:
The multiplayer tonight is brutal. These BPs are out for blood.

I'm going to be hopping back on before too long to get a few last matches in before Dark Souls. Can't decide if I want to bring out my mage, my str build or my blue blood build. :p

Brobzoid said:
uuuuugh, I fucking hate valley of defilement. I get lost every time I play. poison swamp to my left, poison swamp to my right, rumble everywhere! where do I goooo... ;_;

I should print out a map.

Yeah. My bloodstain is there... somewhere.

cj_iwakura

RyanDG said:
I'm going to be hopping back on before too long to get a few last matches in before Dark Souls. Can't decide if I want to bring out my mage, my str build or my blue blood build. :p

I'm using my dex build. Dragon Knight Sword+5/Sharp Winged+5. Fun times.

Brobzoid

Phonomezer said:
Yeah. My bloodstain is there... somewhere.
worst was when I fell off a walk-way and was wandering aimlessly in the swamp and died there, only to find that my blood stain was placed somewhere within the first five minutes from the leechmonger spawn. where the fuck was I? how is this level constructed? is the goal elevation? gawd I hate this place. and I'm eating these royal lotuses like a mad man. almost at the point where I get that heal all ailments miracle for my one slot.

>:c

Ashodin

Fuck yeah! I just beat the Armor Spider by a combination of shooting him with arrows, and then slicing his guts with a two-hander (while eating grass). YAY!

mudkyp

The greatest thing about Demon's Souls is that an area can just beat you down, but you walk away. You sleep it off, come back and nail the level and have the greatest feeling of accomplishment gaming can offer. And this feeling persists through NG+ and even after coming back to the game a year later.

The best part though? Dark Souls comes out tomorrow. We live in a world where Demon's Souls was successful enough to warrant a sequel released in all territories. Thanks gamers!

J2d

Going for a Pure Bladestone again and god I hope From doesn't have any bullshit like it in Dark souls. Need to find some good podcast for tomorrows farming..

oracrest

oracrest said:
I am doing some pieces for an art show that a friend of mine puts on, and I painted up one of my favorite parts of Demon's Souls for one of the pieces. I still might add more, but it's about 99%

I suppose this would be my first fan art for this game...

IMG_7196.jpg

"The Maneaters"
Acrylic on Masonite

I just wanted to give a heads up to any Austin-Demon's Souls gaffers, that I am in an art show this Thursday. First Thursday on south congress (October 6th.) this is one of the pieces I will have in the show
$160

It's at a salon called WET, and the show is called "The Creature Show"

darkvir

I gotta finish this game.... especially with Dark Souls tomorrow!

I'll have to wait for my PS3 wireless headset to get here first. I beat 4 bosses, but haven't played the game in months... maybe its better to restart from scratch??

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
geeeeeeeenius man.

Brobzoid said:
worst was when I fell off a walk-way and was wandering aimlessly in the swamp and died there, only to find that my blood stain was placed somewhere within the first five minutes from the leechmonger spawn. where the fuck was I? how is this level constructed? is the goal elevation? gawd I hate this place. and I'm eating these royal lotuses like a mad man. almost at the point where I get that heal all ailments miracle for my one slot.

the goal is not elevation, at least not until the last quarter of the level. from the start, once you get down to the level of the poison swamp basically follow land. you are sorta island hopping until you get most of the way through the level.

brandonh83 said:
Neato. I started my new game+ which is a real testament to how addictive the game is. Have around 150,000 souls but I'm not sure what to spend them on... my magic level is 50, intelligence is 36 or so. Vitality, strength and dexterity are pretty low, but I've found myself in situations that makes me think that I could be a good melee fighter if I built my stats in related areas a bit more.

Basically not sure if I should build my stats in other areas, like to where I can wield swords, shields better, or just keep pumping up my magic.

Get that int up to 40 and get your last spell slot! Most consider it a waste to raise after 40, since you get (IIRC) 4 mana per point. But at 40 you will get 6 slots, which is the max you can get. (7 slots requires an item to boost it that far).

Brobzoid said:

The longer you are in the poisoned swamp water, the better chance you will be poisoned. While that seems obvious, I did have a significant delay when wearing the poison resist ring. It should be even better with the poison resist armour (should you have it). I did not have it, so I can't comment on how much it would help.

Depending on how much help you do or do not want,
check out this map of the area:

http://www.geocities.jp/kouryakubo/ds_en/chart/chart052.html

The path between point #4 and point #6 is basically the only place you MUST walk in the swamp, and you should only need 1 lotus by the time you arrive at the hill with the giant on it.

ok that's pretty fucking sweet.

but so is yours, oracrest. Then again I imagine it would be damn hard for a talented artist to not come up with nice work based on this game. the art direction was like pshawww all the way through. I was almost constantly in awe by the environments and creativity going on.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Don't remind me about that fucking place in 1-3... god knows how many times I wanted to kill myself because of those assassins in that narrow path. And pulling them back fucks me up even harder. Ugh, I love you DS. Will never forget about you.

Yoshichan

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Any tips to take on the 4-1 shrine of storms boss? I'm fighter type.
Melee or caster? Once you get behind his back, he can't do anything against you. It should be smooth sailing from there.

neoemonk said:
As I skim through the thread, it seems a lot of builds seem to favor magic or faith. Is there anyone who does pure melee, or is it just a terrible idea in this game?

I've only finished 1-1 by the way.

Also, should I look up easy to get secrets/hidden items/etc, or just play through the game blind? I don't really understand how the world tendency things work, other than white is easier than black, and different monsters and NPCs appear at different times. I guess what I mean is I don't know how and where to manipulate that stuff, and not sure if I should bother with it or just do a more "pure" run my first time.

I'm basically only pure melee, but my current stats are 18/18/18 for Int, Magic and Faith (because I want to use the Insanity Catalyst and Blueblood Sword well). And lots of good items stack well with decent stats like that. My advice is go for what feels good for you and makes the level more enjoyable. I personally find melee a much more technical and skillbased way to play...

But for the first run go in blind and use a guide when needed, NG+ wiki everything! The White/Black tendency basically shift based on skilled play and whether you want to shift it (usually the black for souls/phantoms, white for accessible paths). But getting a White "character tendency" can be much harder per playthrough than a black.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

As said, get behind the fat boy's back and work your way too the knife in his belly and keep slashing that. After enough times he'll go down face first, and just hit his head as hard as you can for as long as you can...rinse and repeat.

I have no idea why some people consider DS bosses to be hard, their not at all save for NG+. Leechmonger is a joke against a Dragon Long Sword, and Fool's Idol is a joke period.

Ourobolus

Banned
Hmm...my Amazon copy of Dark Souls hasn't shipped yet...getting anxious.

I suppose it gives me more time to plat DS though. Still on NG+, working on grinding out upgrade stones. Pure Bladestone is understandably a bitch, but holy hell if Cloudstone Chunks don't drop all that much either. I got one in about six runs in 4-3. Such a pain. I should be able to knock out Faint/Sucker/Marrow when I finish 5-2 and 5-3 though. After that the only one left for me is Moonlight, and that's just going to be based on if I can get a Pure Moonlightstone from a Crystal Lizard in 3-3. If not, there's always NG++.

Hopefully NG++ and NG+++ will go more quickly after I farm the upgrades and finish up with the World/Character Tendency crap.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Yeah, me too. He's pretty easy, though. Keep circling to the right the entire fight, hugging near or past his giant knife wound. When you hear him giggle, make sure you're as far to his right as possible. Once he swings, you should be able to get two, maybe three (depending on the weapon) attacks on his wound. After a few of those, he'll fall down and you can attack his head. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The only major problem is when he gets up and is really close to a wall so you can't circle him completely. When that happens run to the farthest corner from him and wait for him to take a few steps towards you. His swings shouldn't hit you if you're far away enough. After he gets closer, run back in and repeat the above.

RyanDG

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

The way I do it as a melee fighter is keep myself lined up slightly to the right of the bit of metal protruding from him. Attack it a couple of times, rotate with him and be sure to roll to the right if he does his wide swing. Rinse and repeat until he falls and then attack the bird man. Depending on your weapon time, you should only have to bring him down twice before he's dead.

Mana Sin

Two trophies away from platinum... Rogue's and the Bladestone one :( I need the Friend's Ring and, of course, Pure Bladestone -.-

On NG++ now.. I guess my only option is to fight BPs?

Number45

bone_and_sinew said:
To neoemonk: there's some Dexterity and Quality builds floating around, in pvp I've encountered many non-magic/faith builds. Play the first time blind and NG+ with the wiki.

To Number45: versatility is the name of the game. Sometimes parry/riposte is a viable solution, sometimes you need a big-ass shield with high guard break reduction to turtle.
Thanks, now I'm toying with the idea of broadening the focus of my character. Nice to hear your first comment though, to be honest I'd just assumed that I'd get my ass handed to me if I didn't read up on a decent build in advance.

Brobzoid

I died from the plague just as Maiden Aestra died. Does this mean I'm fucked or is that bug specific to the Dragon God?

Mana Sin

bone_and_sinew said:
I'll hook you up with pure bladestone and a friend's ring if you delevel two of my characters.

De-level? I could do that, since I have soul-suck, but this character is level 368 (I over-leveled this guy, but he also has most of my stuff) None of my other characters have access to soul suck at the moment.

thefil

Beat 2-2 last night. Flamelurker was a dick, mostly because the only attack I really was comfortable attacking during was his fire smash, but as soon as I got the hang of it he stopped doing it. Probably took me an hour and six or seven tries to beat him.

Ground for a bit to equip the Meat Cleaver WHAT. I did not expect Buster Sword, but it seems pretty good.

I hate 3-1 though. Even though the tentacle guards can't hurt me more than a little bit (I must be way over-levelled) I've died to pretty much every sudden hole in the floor in front of me. :(

Top Bottom