• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Moobabe

What's the restrictions on co-op? Would game version matter? I'm trying to co-op with a friend who has the EU version and I have the US - is that a problem?

Biggzy

Well I am officially late to the party as I have just ordered Demon Souls from Amazon this is after I couldn't find a single Demon Souls copy at my local game stores. I chose to get Demon Souls first as I have heard very good things of it and also I want to dip my toes into the franchise waters before I put down £40 on Dark Souls.

Moobabe said:
What's the restrictions on co-op? Would game version matter? I'm trying to co-op with a friend who has the EU version and I have the US - is that a problem?
Yeah, since different publishers released the game in each region they're on different servers.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Moobabe said:
That sucks, especially since I imported it and am playing in Europe :(
know that feel bro. I imported the american version too. I'd offer to play with you, but I don't have online on my ps3 at the moment so I won't.

I really need to fix my internet situation before friday. :c

cjsnapp

Neo Member
well i thought i was doing pretty good wearing down on Maneater until ANOTHER ONE APPEARED and owned me... sigh... will have to give it another go next chance i get.

Don

I am really starting to hate Ostrava.

On my first playthrough I saved him in 1-1 but he never showed up 1-2. I just assumed that maybe I restarted 1-1 at some point and ignored him so he got killed.

I’m currently playing through on my NG+ and I saved him in both 1-1 and 1-2. After rescuing him both times he would show up in the Nexus but then disappears after a while (usually when I go to another stage then come back again). Now I just went through 1-3 and he didn't show up at the gate where he is supposed to be.

I think that I am just going to kill him straight away when I get around to my next playthrough.

Mana Sin

Don said:
I am really starting to hate Ostrava.

On my first playthrough I saved him in 1-1 but he never showed up 1-2. I just assumed that maybe I restarted 1-1 at some point and ignored him so he got killed.

I’m currently playing through on my NG+ and I saved him in both 1-1 and 1-2. After rescuing him both times he would show up in the Nexus but then disappears after a while (usually when I go to another stage then come back again). Now I just went through 1-3 and he didn't show up at the gate where he is supposed to be.

I think that I am just going to kill him straight away when I get around to my next playthrough.

Yeah, I was so annoyed that he died in my NG, that I murdered him in NG+ at the first opportunity. If you do that, I think that only thing you miss out on is a free
pure clearstone
, which you can always farm for in 2-3. His drop is the actual important thing, since it gives access to
Old King Doran
, which leads to
Demonbrandt, if you impress him, and some sweet armor, if you kill him

Don

Mana Sin said:
Yeah, I was so annoyed that he died in my NG, that I murdered him in NG+ at the first opportunity. If you do that, I think that only thing you miss out on is a free
pure clearstone
, which you can always farm for in 2-3. His drop is the actual important thing, since it gives access to
Old King Doran
, which leads to
Demonbrandt, if you impress him, and some sweet armor, if you kill him
The main thing that I wanted from him was the
Key to Old King Doran
but I was kind of hoping to get it by rescuing him in each stage.

If he is already dead, does that mess up the
Mephistopheles assassination
quests at all? After I beat Penetrator I'm planning to try and shift all worlds to Pure Black so that I can kill the Black Phantoms to get Pure White Character Tendency and get the
Friend's Ring
, then try and shift again to Pure Black Character Tendency to get the
Foe's ring
. I hope this is possible.

2AdEPT

Don said:
Key to Old King Doran

quests at all? After I beat Penetrator I'm planning to try and shift all worlds to Pure Black so that I can kill the Black Phantoms to get Pure White Character Tendency and get the
Friend's Ring
Foe's ring
Possible but difficult...I alwaysseem to screw something up....like when goign for pure white character I had just enough AI BP's to get the friend's ring and accidentally pushed Miralda off the stairs to her death...you get the axe but not the kill for white character.....the when FIANLLy just about ready to get the foe's ring, I forgot that you have to talk to Meph first before killing her....I forgot that she drops other things not the Foes' ring....all that work for nothing.

Q. IF you kill the regular bodied NPC character, specifically in this case Garl VInland, does his PB not appear then? I thought the reason he did not appear the first time was that I had the sword drop for end game and went back to clean stuff up, but this time he didn't appear again...both times I killed the boss first for pure white world first, then went for black (and definitely had black that's not the problem as selen vionalnd showed up but he didn't). Is this a glitch or must you keep the characters alive. I know BP Rydell just goes away and you can still get BP Rydell, but KILLING is bad right? anyone confirm?

Ourobolus

Banned
Sigh. I need 2 more chunks of Cloudstone but I know I get 2 for free in 4-3, so I'll just wait for NG++.

Pure Bladestone, go to hell. :'(

Marrowstone and Suckerstone, I'll get you later.

Pure Moonlight stone, I'll get Latria to PBWT and try 3-3. Sigh.

First though, I'm gonna own one more human BP (some guy tried to take me out in 1-4 unsuccessfully earlier), get the Friend's Ring, then get to PBCT, then get the Foe's Ring, then finish off NG+.

Damn you Amazon, I wanted Dark Souls today!
LLShC.gif

Don

2AdEPT said:
Possible but difficult...I alwaysseem to screw something up....like when goign for pure white character I had just enough AI BP's to get the friend's ring and accidentally pushed Miralda off the stairs to her death...you get the axe but not the kill for white character.....the when FIANLLy just about ready to get the foe's ring, I forgot that you have to talk to Meph first before killing her....I forgot that she drops other things not the Foes' ring....all that work for nothing.

Q. IF you kill the regular bodied NPC character, specifically in this case Garl VInland, does his PB not appear then? I thought the reason he did not appear the first time was that I had the sword drop for end game and went back to clean stuff up, but this time he didn't appear again...both times I killed the boss first for pure white world first, then went for black (and definitely had black that's not the problem as selen vionalnd showed up but he didn't). Is this a glitch or must you keep the characters alive. I know BP Rydell just goes away and you can still get BP Rydell, but KILLING is bad right? anyone confirm?

I think that Black Phantom Garl appears in Pure White World tendancy after killing him and Astraea. I haven't went to 5-3 yet on this playthrough, but I'm pretty sure that on my first playthrough I finished 5-3 to get Pure White, went back to the Nexus and then straight back into 5-3 again and he was there.

Don said:
Key to Old King Doran

Friend's Ring
Foe's ring
If one of the assassination targets is dead I think it just skips to the next person so you should still be able to get the Foe's ring for killing Yuria but if you want the Talisman of Beasts you'll have to get it from BP Scirvir.

2AdEPT said:

Killing a body form NPC doesn't stop their BP from appearing. Garl Vinland appears at Pure white world tendency not black world tendency.

Actually, does anyone know if killing a BP NPC first stops their body form from appearing?

neoemonk

Played 1-2 for a while today. I probably died on that stupid bridge about 20 times before I realized there had to be a sprint button and went and looked it up. It was not my finest gaming moment, let's just leave it at that.

Also, after clearing to the boss a bunch of times, I realized I can basically sprint through the whole level, because I got tired of fighting those blue eyed knights over and over again.

Don

electroshockwave said:
If one of the assassination targets is dead I think it just skips to the next person so you should still be able to get the Foe's ring for killing Yuria but if you want the Talisman of Beasts you'll have to get it from BP Scirvir.
Yeah, I just got the Talisman of Beasts that way a while ago.

Defeated the Black Phantoms in both 1-1 and 2-2 now so I'll try and get the remaining three tomorrow for PWCT, then start working towards PBCT.

Can the
assassination quests for Mephistopheles
be done at any time or do I need to do them before reaching a certain point?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
re: Mephistopheles' quest
if you kill a target before she tells you, you don't get the reward for that specific kill, just moves on to the next one I believe. I read that on the wiki at least

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Brobzoid said:
re: Mephistopheles' quest
if you kill a target before she tells you, you don't get the reward for that specific kill, just moves on to the next one I believe. I read that on the wiki at least
This is a correct statement.

I learned the hard way about attempting to pick up items when over burdened then trying to unload and go back.

Which ever items are at the bottom of the pit after the fight with the executioner girl (white tendency area) I lost. :(

greyshark

Quote said:
I learned the hard way about attempting to pick up items when over burdened then trying to unload and go back.

Which ever items are at the bottom of the pit after the fight with the executioner girl (white tendency area) I lost. :(

Don't forget about the Ring of Herculean strength.

hmm... So I'm trying to finish off some PBWT events I had left over, and I thought I'd start from Shrine of Storms. I start playing in offline move, die a few times and bring the WT to pure black, kill BP Satsuki, gain a couple of levels from grinding etc.

Satisfied with a job well done, I shut off the game and return to it the day after, only to find that my WT for Shrine of Storms has been semi-reset (feels like ~75% towards white currently), even though I started the game in offline mode.

Any idea why this is happening? I was under the impression that playing in offline mode doesn't reset your world tendency..?

Ourobolus

Banned
Glorious_Paradox said:
hmm... So I'm trying to finish off some PBWT events I had left over, and I thought I'd start from Shrine of Storms. I start playing in offline move, die a few times and bring the WT to pure black, kill BP Satsuki, gain a couple of levels from grinding etc.

Satisfied with a job well done, I shut off the game and return to it the day after, only to find that my WT for Shrine of Storms has been semi-reset (feels like ~75% towards white currently), even though I started the game in offline mode.

Any idea why this is happening? I was under the impression that playing in offline mode doesn't reset your world tendency..?
Well, killing BP Satsuki would bring you almost to neutral. If you also killed the Primeval Demon in 4-2 it would bring you almost to PWWT. The moment you return to the nexus it will register the change in world tendency.
However, are you sure you were playing in offline mode when you came back up again? If you went online it would reset you to the server median.

deim0s

Ourobolus said:
However, are you sure you were playing in offline mode when you came back up again? If you went online it would reset you to the server median.

Oh that's why... was playing offline then the 1-1 was open after defeating the False King - but closed on my next session (online), which prompted me to kill a few demons and a dragon.

Do online servers WT tend to shift randomly or remain neutral forever?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
WT in online servers are a median caculated according to what everyone online at the time is doing. The US ones are usually close to white.

deim0s

So if I wanted to do PBWT, I have to do everything offline then log-in online to automagically shift it to semi-WWT?

Ourobolus said:
Well, killing BP Satsuki would bring you almost to neutral. If you also killed the Primeval Demon in 4-2 it would bring you almost to PWWT. The moment you return to the nexus it will register the change in world tendency.

Good point about killing the BP - it's highly possible that I killed him and then probably stayed in the level long enough that I forgot about it, and then after returning to the Nexus + restarting I was left wondering why it was lighter :)

So yeah, my mistake.

Ourobolus

Banned
deim0s said:
So if I wanted to do PBWT, I have to do everything offline then log-in online to automagically shift it to semi-WWT?
Yeah. There are two ways to really do this easily:

1. Kill 3 bosses (or less depending on what the server tendency is) to get to PWWT.
2. Do all PWWT events in that world.
3. Suicide in body form 7 times in that world to bring it down to PBWT. Alternatively you can murder NPCs in that world, which will usually drop in by 3 levels (suiciding only drops it one level), but this also affects CT, so I don't do it yet.
4. Kill both the BP and the Primeval demon in each world before traveling to the nexus. The reason is that they both only show up in PBWT (Primeval demon technically shows up one level higher), and killing either raises WT by 3 levels, so if you don't do both you'll have to suicide a few times again.
5. You should now be one level below PWWT (+2)

Code:
PBWT        N      PWWT
-4 -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3

Obviously it's simpler to do this offline. However, when you log in online, it simply starts your WT at whatever the median is, and that is your starting point. You can manipulate it however you like from there during that session. If you log out and come back, it will reset to the median, whereas offline it will keep your changes.

thefil

Did 3-1 last night. With the Meat Cleaver, it was a complete joke. I killed the Black Phantom in three hits and the boss in two combos.

So I've done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, and 4-1. Any recommendations on where to go next? Does it make more sense to finish a world all at once, or to do all-2, then all-3, etc.

Ourobolus

Banned
thefil said:
Did 3-1 last night. With the Meat Cleaver, it was a complete joke. I killed the Black Phantom in three hits and the boss in two combos.

So I've done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, and 4-1. Any recommendations on where to go next? Does it make more sense to finish a world all at once, or to do all-2, then all-3, etc.

Might as well knock out 2-3, it's just a boss, and a pretty simple one at that. 3-2's boss will most likely drive you insane, but it's up to you.

Personally, I'd knock out 4-2, 4-3, then 5-1, 5-2, and 5-3. Do Shrine of Storms because of the fact that it gives you the most amount of souls compared to the other worlds (and the 4-2 and 4-3 bosses are pretty easy). As for Valley of Defilement, you will HATE the levels, but the bosses are cake. Best to just get it over with, IMO.

I grinded my way to Soul Level 35 and finally killed two more bosses after defeating 1-1's boss. I managed to kill 1-2's boss and 4-1's.

I'm halfway through the first prison level and finally took a look around 2-1. I'm not sure which I should concentrate on.

My Knight build has a 25 STR and pretty high endurance and VIT. I think I only got to 12 on DEX. Right now my +4 Mace and +5 Heater Sheild have been good enough to get me through. I recently turned my +3 Long Sword into a Quality +1 Long Sword.

MMaRsu

Just finished this aftef i had given up hope of ever finishing world 5. Last night i took care of that in an awesome way :D. I then went on to 1-4 and took care.of the penetrator before calling it a night. Today i cleared the rest without dying once! Thats right i beat all those bitches without dying.feels so good

kyubajin

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I grinded my way to Soul Level 35 and finally killed two more bosses after defeating 1-1's boss. I managed to kill 1-2's boss and 4-1's.

I'm halfway through the first prison level and finally took a look around 2-1. I'm not sure which I should concentrate on.

My Knight build has a 25 STR and pretty high endurance and VIT. I think I only got to 12 on DEX. Right now my +4 Mace and +5 Heater Sheild have been good enough to get me through. I recently turned my +3 Long Sword into a Quality +1 Long Sword.
If you're aiming for a STR build you should aim for the Crushing (greystone) path of upgrading.

Ourobolus

Banned
I get a 4 day weekend starting Friday. Gonna start Dark Souls then, but I'm gonna try to pound out NG+ before then.

Still have 1-4 and 3-3 left to go, and I want to do the Character Tendency stuff too. I just need to kill one more Black Phantom to get PWCT, then I'll just go on an NPC murder-spree. Then Meph quests. Then 1-4. Should be doable.

oracrest

Ourobolus said:
I get a 4 day weekend starting Friday. Gonna start Dark Souls then, but I'm gonna try to pound out NG+ before then.

Still have 1-4 and 3-3 left to go, and I want to do the Character Tendency stuff too. I just need to kill one more Black Phantom to get PWCT, then I'll just go on an NPC murder-spree. Then Meph quests. Then 1-4. Should be doable.

If your up to Mephistopheles at 1-4, you will end up having to play through all of 1-4, minus the boss, to finish her stuff.

slimer5

Neo Member
Okay, Gaf, I need your help. I've been thinking about buying this for a couple months now, but I can't convince myself either way. I've watched so many videos on both Demon's and Dark Souls and they both look awesome, but I don't have a lot of patience with games and can enter destructive rage mode fairly quickly. But I also already understand that I need to take these games slowly and avoid being greedy.

I also want to play Demon's Souls before the server support ends (even though its not until some time in 2012). I don't want to rent it because if I end up liking it, I don't want to have to pay $20 on top of the amount I already paid to try it. Additionally, my backlog of games is quite extensive (not to mention the titles that are coming out soon), so I don't know if I should even commit myself to this before I play games that I already own.

What do you guys think? Should I just shut up and buy it? If so, should I find a guide for a character build that makes the game a bit easier (can you link me to one?)? Or should I just focus on the games that I already have and wait for Demon's Souls to be even cheaper (if that's even expected considering it's an exclusive)?

Thanks in advance.

inky

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

I found 2-1 easier than 3-1 but I got ranged char. I don't think you'll have many problems with either. I'd go 2-1 first but only because I hate the stupid facehuggers from the prison level.

Ourobolus

Banned
slimer5 said:
Okay, Gaf, I need your help. I've been thinking about buying this for a couple months now, but I can't convince myself either way. I've watched so many videos on both Demon's and Dark Souls and they both look awesome, but I don't have a lot of patience with games and can enter destructive rage mode fairly quickly. But I also already understand that I need to take these games slowly and avoid being greedy.

I also want to play Demon's Souls before the server support ends (even though its not until some time in 2012). I don't want to rent it because if I end up liking it, I don't want to have to pay $20 on top of the amount I already paid to try it. Additionally, my backlog of games is quite extensive (not to mention the titles that are coming out soon), so I don't know if I should even commit myself to this before I play games that I already own.

What do you guys think? Should I just shut up and buy it? If so, should I find a guide for a character build that makes the game a bit easier (can you link me to one?)? Or should I just focus on the games that I already have and wait for Demon's Souls to be even cheaper (if that's even expected considering it's an exclusive)?

Thanks in advance.
Unless you find a sale, it's unlikely to get below $20 since it's a Greatest Hit. This game requires patience, but it's also one of the most rewarding games I've ever played in regards to feeling accomplished when you overcome something. Honestly I'd recommend you rent just to see if you like it or not (or borrow from a friend or something).

People say that the Royal class makes the game a little easier since you start with a spell and a ring that regens MP. I did Temple Knight for a more melee-focused character, but your class only determines your starting stats and items - you can distribute your later stats however you see fit. A soldier can become a powerful mage, for instance.

Ourobolus

Banned
I don't suppose anyone would let me kill them as a BP for one more point of CT, would they? No one seems to be invading around SL 170 and I would really appreciate it. US Servers.

Ourobolus said:
I don't suppose anyone would let me kill them as a BP for one more point of CT, would they? No one seems to be invading around SL 170 and I would really appreciate it. US Servers.
Haha I would do that for the same but you are too low for me to invade at the moment.

kyubajin said:
If you're aiming for a STR build you should aim for the Crushing (greystone) path of upgrading.

I'm unsure at this point. I only really wanted to use that neat sheild I found in 1-1 that required 26 STR. If upping VIT keeps me from dying so often, in a big way, I'd like to go there.lol

greyshark

Ourobolus said:

Have you killed all the named BP's in this game cycle? They'll raise your CT as well.

Ourobolus

Banned
I did, but I think that two of them I soulsucked which apparently doesn't raise CT.

Can you be invaded on any level, regardless of whether or not you've beaten the boss? I know you have to be in body form.

Ourobolus said:
I did, but I think that two of them I soulsucked which apparently doesn't raise CT.

Can you be invaded on any level, regardless of whether or not you've beaten the boss? I know you have to be in body form.
If the boss is dead then that level is not able to be invaded or played with a blue.

thefil said:
Beat 2-2 last night. Flamelurker was a dick, mostly because the only attack I really was comfortable attacking during was his fire smash, but as soon as I got the hang of it he stopped doing it. Probably took me an hour and six or seven tries to beat him.

Ground for a bit to equip the Meat Cleaver WHAT. I did not expect Buster Sword, but it seems pretty good.

I hate 3-1 though. Even though the tentacle guards can't hurt me more than a little bit (I must be way over-levelled) I've died to pretty much every sudden hole in the floor in front of me. :(

Sorry for the old reply, but this is what I hated most about DS...cheap death pits and retarded fall physics. It ain't any better in Dark Souls either though. I just wish that messages actually worked for these situations and didn't become "I'm in trouble, please recommend this message" bs.

Started 4-1 tonight. I managed to get up to the area of those 2 archers on the wall. I remembered seeing an item earlier and found a way to roll off the wall into that area, but then there was no way out besides fighting the first boss?... and I died.

TheExplodingHead said:
Sorry for the old reply, but this is what I hated most about DS...cheap death pits and retarded fall physics. It ain't any better in Dark Souls either though. I just wish that messages actually worked for these situations and didn't become "I'm in trouble, please recommend this message" bs.
I always try to put a message like "Beware of fall ahead." I also tend to walk slowly with my shield up in unfamiliar areas to not fall into traps, falls included.

Top Bottom