• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
bone_and_sinew said:
That problem doesn't exist for Dark Souls though!
Whoah, for reals? All versions are on the same server!?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been keeping Dark very hush-hush from myself. Awesome news if so :D

Quote said:
Started 4-1 tonight. I managed to get up to the area of those 2 archers on the wall. I remembered seeing an item earlier and found a way to roll off the wall into that area, but then there was no way out besides fighting the first boss?

4-1 is actually a fun level, just make sure to dodge or make the skeletons rebound off your shield before attacking. The Manta Ray's are what pisses me off in general about World 4, it's just constant cheap shots while I'm stuck fighting the gold skeletons. At least in 4-3 it's payback time on the Manta Ray's with the Stormruler!!!

My advice early on is go after the Cresent Falcon +1 at the first black skeleton, if you upgrade that it will come in handy.

TheExplodingHead said:
4-1 is actually a fun level, just make sure to dodge or make the skeletons rebound off your shield before attacking. The Manta Ray's are what pisses me off in general about World 4, it's just constant cheap shots while I'm stuck fighting the gold skeletons. At least in 4-3 it's payback time on the Manta Ray's with the Stormruler!!!

My advice early on is go after the Cresent Falcon +1 at the first black skeleton, if you upgrade that it will come in handy.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm Royalty (high magic/int) and I mostly use Soul Ray now and Flame Toss when it works better. I'm rocking the binded executioner set and a Scimitar+3, I'm ready to make some changes.

darkvir

just as I was progressing in 3-1, i got booted for "Cannot connect to Demon's Souls server", wth? I thought I could just go on ahead playing offline??

Just ordered this game from Amazon for $20.00.

My friend and I will both be playing it together, and we're looking forward to investing hours into this epic adventure.

darkvir said:
just as I was progressing in 3-1, i got booted for "Cannot connect to Demon's Souls server", wth? I thought I could just go on ahead playing offline??
You can, but you get booted back to the main menu when you get disconnected. If you want to make sure you're playing offline you can simply sign out from your PSN account.

Had some bastard Black phantom appear and wreck all my shit in 1-3.
Thankfully I was trying out black leather over kings armour so it wasnt as expensive to fix but I litrally spent 15misn fighting this guy, even after he broke all my shit Magic weapon let me hit for 200-300.
Somehow though we would run at each other attack and such and then as I would hit him it would then give him the backstab?! happend a good 15 times but only on the last one did it actually take all my hp.

Alot of fun fighting him but the game fucked me over with his teleporting backstaberry :(

darkvir

archnemesis said:
You can, but you get booted back to the main menu when you get disconnected. If you want to make sure you're playing offline you can simply sign out from your PSN account.

yeah got it, after I restart it threw right back to the same spot... me being unprepared got my ass handed and died...

thx for response though.

Don

I managed to kill all five of the main Black Phantoms for PWCT. Now I need to stack up on supplies before I start killing vendors for PBCT.

I've cleared all stages now except for 1-4. Would it better to finish it first before starting the Mephistopheles quests?

I'm so close to getting a bunch of trophies but will need to wait until NG++ before I can unlock them. I just need three more unique weapons, two rings (I could probably have gotten both of these in this playthrough if Ostrava didn't disappear/die on me) and three spells.

oracrest

Don said:
I managed to kill all five of the main Black Phantoms for PWCT. Now I need to stack up on supplies before I start killing vendors for PBCT.

I've cleared all stages now except for 1-4. Would it better to finish it first before starting the Mephistopheles quests?

I'm so close to getting a bunch of trophies but will need to wait until NG++ before I can unlock them. I just need three more unique weapons, two rings (I could probably have gotten both of these in this playthrough if Ostrava didn't disappear/die on me) and three spells.

No, because
by clearing 1-4, you will lose a character that Mephistopheles wants you to kill, possibly two characters

Don

oracrest said:
No, because
by clearing 1-4, you will lose a character that Mephistopheles wants you to kill, possibly two characters
Finished her quests now.
Ostrava and Biorr had already gotten killed beforehand
, but I didn't need their items anyway.

Number45

So it is possible for someone that doesn't consider himself that good at games (I'm not bad, just not great - I'm very patient and methodical though which I think might help me out here...) to just ignore the guides and play the game though the first time as I would if the internet didn't exist?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Starting Demon's Souls for the first time ever :O

Oh, also.

THE LEGEND ENDURES: DEMON'S SOULS CELEBRATES ITS SECOND ANNIVERSARY

ATLUS honors milestone with October World Tendency events;
reflects on being part of one of the most significant games of all time

IRVINE, CA. -- OCTOBER 6, 2011 -- ATLUS today joined fans across North America in celebrating the second anniversary of the award-winning hardcore multiplayer action RPG Demon's Souls™ for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. Two years later, the game, which recently had support for its groundbreaking online functionality extended into 2012, remains one of the most influential, innovative interactive entertainment releases of all time.

In recognition of the title's tremendous accomplishments and in sincere gratitude to the fan community for two years of unyielding passion and support, ATLUS today revealed World Tendency plans for the month of October. Starting today until October 17, Boletaria will shift to Pure White World Tendency, easing the game's difficulty and unlocking otherwise inaccessible areas and items. From then until the end of the month, the World Tendency will become Pure Black, making the game more challenging and again, opening up otherwise hidden secrets.

"When people get together to talk about games that have forever changed the face of the industry, Demon's Souls remains one of the most salient titles to discuss," shared Shinichi Suzuki, President and CEO at ATLUS. "From the beginning, we were honored to be involved with so daring a project. We endeavored to pour every bit as much of ourselves into how we promoted, packaged, and supported the game as developer FROM Software obviously had. Upon its North American release, there was already a strong, growing community of fans. They received the game, its relevance, and its accomplishments with such great passion and earnestness; we made it our highest priority to not let them down. We are incredibly proud to continue to support the game's online functionality and host World Tendency events as long as we can. We're not just the game's publisher: we're fans, too."

"Two years ago today, Demon's Souls' launch day, was one of the most exciting, unpredictable times in our company's two-decade history," commented Tim Pivnicny, Vice President of Marketing and Sales at ATLUS. "We recognized the caliber of the game. We were certain that fears about it being too challenging for our market were unfounded. Still, we had no idea what to expect. Our modest launch was immediately exhausted, as was the physical pre-order gift at participating retailers, a collectible booklet containing a tangible 24-track, 71 minute soundtrack CD and 36 pages of full color artwork printed on deluxe paper. Our painstakingly designed and assembled Deluxe Edition--still the only place our official 160-page strategy guide was ever made available--disappeared before the month was up. It became a phenomenon, our biggest title ever. Most importantly, Demon's Souls has achieved a rare status of prestige, owed to the tireless support and promotion of the game from the best community of fans in the world. It's easy for some to take that kind of support for granted, but for us, it would be straight up 5-2."

Demon's Souls is out now for PlayStation 3 system for the bargain MSRP of $19.99. For more information, visit the game's official website at http://www.demons-souls.com.

• • • • • • • • • •

About ATLUS
ATLUS has established itself as one of its industry's most consistent, celebrated companies. With proven success across a variety of genres and platforms, including enthusiast-oriented games like the Shin Megami Tensei franchise of award-winning, fan beloved roleplaying games (including the hit Persona sub-series of games and the prestigious Nocturne), the groundbreaking, genre-defying Catherine, and Demon's Souls, ATLUS provides quality critically acclaimed interactive entertainment to a wide spectrum of customers.

ATLUS has published games for every major video game console and handheld system, including the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Wii™, DS™, PSP® (PlayStation® Portable), and PC.

ATLUS is a brand of Index Corporation and its privately held subsidiary Index Digital Media, Inc.

For breaking news, special promotions, insider info, and more, visit http://www.atlus.com/faithful to join the ranks of the ATLUS Faithful!

Twitter: www.twitter.com/AtlusUSA
Facebook: www.facebook.com/AtlusUSA

©2009 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INC. Licensed to and published by Atlus U.S.A., Inc. Demon's Souls has been rated "M" for Mature with Blood and Violence by the ESRB.

Starting today until October 17, Boletaria will shift to Pure White World Tendency, easing the game's difficulty and unlocking otherwise inaccessible areas and items. From then until the end of the month, the World Tendency will become Pure Black, making the game more challenging and again, opening up otherwise hidden secrets.

Unlock the gates!

Zoe

Only Boletaria? :(

I've been playing offline since the beginning of the year to keep PWWT anyway, but I still need to get the Black events in all the worlds.

Zoe said:

I've been playing offline since the beginning of the year to keep PWWT anyway, but I still need to get the Black events in all the worlds.
They probably mean the kingdom of Boletaria, as in all worlds, not just the Boletarian Palace.

shiroryu

Shit yes! PWWT! Fortunately have a long weekend, so should be able to explore the PWWT goodness.

Does PWWT immediately unlock all PWWT-linked closed gates across all worlds forever by default, or do you actually have to explore that world and level to unlock it?

Zoe

shiroryu said:
Does PWWT immediately unlock all PWWT-linked closed gates across all worlds forever by default, or do you actually have to explore that world and level to unlock it?

Automatic. The very first thing I did after the tutorial was accidentally go through the gate in 1-1 :lol

shiroryu

Zoe said:
Automatic. The very first thing I did after the tutorial was accidentally go through the gate in 1-1 :lol
And met Miralda? lol if so.

Took down the red dragon in 1-2 with Soul Arrow and 3-4 spices, without a single death. Then turn around and visit 2-1 for Blacksmith Ed...and die repeatedly to dogs and laughing fat officials. Switch from magic to spears for the dogs. And once I got the timing down, roasting fat officials was fun.

Got Water Veil and Protection from Freke's apprentice.

Then went to 4-1, and died in seconds to the damned rolling skeletons, lol. I died once each at each of the starting three skellies, before I figured out to block and use Fire Toss instead of Soul Arrow. Cheesed the Vanguard with Soul Arrow, ashamed to admit, but the guy's drops are useless. Then went in and took down Samurai Skeleton to get the Crescent Falchion and god this weapon rocks for royals. I've been pumping magic, and it's inhuman damage for a non-melee character. Brilliant from From :p

oracrest

Zoe said:

All the areas are within the larger country of Boletaria.

Ourobolus

Banned
Oh nice, I was wondering why Satsuki was there when I booted up NG++.

However, Latria looked like it was still at neutral? Anyone else have that, or should it be PWWT also?

Pejo

haha loved this line from Wario's post:

Most importantly, Demon's Souls has achieved a rare status of prestige, owed to the tireless support and promotion of the game from the best community of fans in the world. It's easy for some to take that kind of support for granted, but for us, it would be straight up 5-2.

I love Dark Souls but can't help wishing that it was Atlus publishing again instead of Namco. Ah well!

irriadin

I've been playing Demon's Souls little by little for a couple weeks and haven't had any stretches that were TOO insanely difficult, but I'm kinda stuck at 4-2 now. I can make it past the first grim reaper. Two heavy arrows from my +4 Composite Long Bow and goodbye! I started getting owned by the rolling skeletons and manta rays outside the next area until I swapped the Cling Ring for the Thief's Ring. Golden armor dudes are easy to bait and take out.

But it's the next dark cave area that gets me every time. I'm not even sure what's killing me! But I'm pretty sure it's some kind of invisible ghost that backstabs me :( I'm not sure how to combat that...

Grinchy

Banned
When I finally got back into this game last year, it was during a pure black event. I had kinda forgotten about the world tendencies, and I just thought it was normal for black phantoms to appear in the levels. It was a great way to die and get good at the game.

When I got back to making my worlds pure white, it was like easy mode.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I manhandled someone who invaded my game as the old monk. I straight up wrecked him with like 3 or 4 hits. I was so amped up after, that I went back and got summoned to be the old monk and destroyed the poor fellow.

AniHawk

i'm going to give this game one more serious try, but i'm having some problems getting into it:

1. started off as a soldier. pretty much cleared all of 1-1 aside from phalanx, who is giving me issues
2. i still have standard soldier weapons, a bastard sword, and two mail breakers

so aside from stocking up on turpentine and firebombs, i'm kinda at a loss of what to do. running around in a circle and occasionally dealing damage isn't my idea of fun either. i'm getting flashbacks of mh3 (or at least its demo).

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just demolished Miralda.

Went down the ladder and found armor, but I couldn't pick up the whole set, so I dropped what I grabbed (big mistake) and went back to Thomas to deposit items. I come back after destroying the black phantoms, and poof armor is gone. I wasn't going to use it since I like my quick roll, but was the armor special or something?

AwesomeSauce said:
Just demolished Miralda.

Went down the ladder and found armor, but I couldn't pick up the whole set, so I dropped what I grabbed (big mistake) and went back to Thomas to deposit items. I come back after destroying the black phantoms, and poof armor is gone. I wasn't going to use it since I like my quick roll, but was the armor special or something?
Just Brushwood Armor. No big deal. Biorr wears that armor set and can be killed for it.

How many hours need to be put into this before it starts to click?

I tried getting into it about 6 months ago. Played about 20 hours worth, but it just never really felt that fun to me.

But I want to like it because everyone else seems to think it's the greatest game this generation. And I would hate to miss out on a masterpiece.

Do I need to try again and put more time into it, or should I just accept that it's not for me?

man, i was hoping for world tendency event this month.

i first started the game during the PBWT event last year. neutral, the game is basically easy when you grow accustomed to playing it in PB. for a beginner (as i was), 1-2 on PB has to be basically impossible
two red knights immediately after the last run away from the dragon? are you kidding me?

AniHawk said:
i'm going to give this game one more serious try, but i'm having some problems getting into it:

1. started off as a soldier. pretty much cleared all of 1-1 aside from phalanx, who is giving me issues
2. i still have standard soldier weapons, a bastard sword, and two mail breakers

so aside from stocking up on turpentine and firebombs, i'm kinda at a loss of what to do. running around in a circle and occasionally dealing damage isn't my idea of fun either. i'm getting flashbacks of mh3 (or at least its demo).

my suggestion is to use the pillars in that room to your advantage. if you keep them between you and the phalanx you should be able to restore health when you need it. other than that, just use the turpentine and take your time. really, "take your time" is important advice for the whole game.

irriadin said:
I've been playing Demon's Souls little by little for a couple weeks and haven't had any stretches that were TOO insanely difficult, but I'm kinda stuck at 4-2 now. I can make it past the first grim reaper. Two heavy arrows from my +4 Composite Long Bow and goodbye! I started getting owned by the rolling skeletons and manta rays outside the next area until I swapped the Cling Ring for the Thief's Ring. Golden armor dudes are easy to bait and take out.

But it's the next dark cave area that gets me every time. I'm not even sure what's killing me! But I'm pretty sure it's some kind of invisible ghost that backstabs me :( I'm not sure how to combat that...

Inside that area are basically sort of invisible ghosts, just lock-on and you'll get them every time. I'd recommend a fire-based weapon or Sticky White Stuff for dealing with them if they are too much trouble. Kill the Grim Reaper at the next little area and they all disappear.

The next enemies that will come out will laugh before they appear. They are basically little invisible enemies, just stand against a wall and hold block until they appear and you can lock-on. The next area down there will also be two more. After this is done all of the difficulty of the level is over, get ready for
Old Hero
! :p

Edit: When coming down the walkway towards a locked-on ghost ALWAYS have your shield up because they will shoot a beam at you that will carve your health. Even with a decent shield you might still take a bit of damage but just keep your shield up when approaching each locked-on ghost.

ArachosiA 78 said:

I tried getting into it about 6 months ago. Played about 20 hours worth, but it just never really felt that fun to me.

But I want to like it because everyone else seems to think it's the greatest game this generation. And I would hate to miss out on a masterpiece.

Do I need to try again and put more time into it, or should I just accept that it's not for me?

Much as I love the game I'd say if you've already really put in more then 10 hours and it hasn't clicked you can probably safely drop it. It's hard with this game because I don't think it clicks right away for anyone, it certainly didn't for me.

I suppose a better question would be have you beaten a boss or two yet? It's about the time that I beat second boss that I knew I was in it to go the distance.

Trying to knock out all the PWWT events and there are some NPCs running around that I haven't seen before. The wiki has a bunch of info on how to approach fights against Satsuki and Scirvir, but doesn't really mention why to bother.

Do I want to kill these guys? Does it cause any problems later on or affect whether or not I get their black phantoms to spawn during PBWT?

ArachosiA 78 said:

If you have beaten 2 or 3 bosses and it still hasn't click, I would sadly say it's not going to.

shiroryu

Max said:
Thanks.

Blue Dragon is still in 1-1, has it not been switched on yet?
You might need to disconnect and reconnect a few times to get your in-game tendencies to match up with the servers. Same wiki has a picture of how each world looks, so use that as a reference.

Top Bottom