• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

ArachosiA 78 said:
How many hours need to be put into this before it starts to click?

I tried getting into it about 6 months ago. Played about 20 hours worth, but it just never really felt that fun to me.

But I want to like it because everyone else seems to think it's the greatest game this generation. And I would hate to miss out on a masterpiece.

Do I need to try again and put more time into it, or should I just accept that it's not for me?

I was hooked about 10 minutes after the tutorial ended. If 20 hours of hte game wasn't enjoyable to you then your tastes are just different from those of us who rave about the gave whenever given half of an excuse. Sorry.

I cant believe I'm still so invested into this game over Dark Souls. I only bought a 2nd copy a few days before so that I'd get some practice in before Dark, but I'm having too much fun. I just upped my magic a lot and PWWT is making 4-1 a breeze.

I'm thinking about playing both at once but that's probably the worst I could do.

leroidys

Zoe said:
It will dip, but it will reset to PWWT if you go to the Nexus and come back.

OK, great, thanks!

So I'm on NG+ and just got sage Freke, what should I be using my demon's souls on primarily this playthrough. Magic? Miracles? Weapons? Or does it even really matter?

shiroryu

Quote said:
I cant believe I'm still so invested into this game over Dark Souls. I only bought a 2nd copy a few days before so that I'd get some practice in before Dark, but I'm having too much fun. I just upped my magic a lot and PWWT is making 4-1 a breeze.

I'm thinking about playing both at once but that's probably the worst I could do.

Yeah, not recommended. The melee timings for the two games are different...see oracrest's videos: initially, he was having trouble with basic enemies despite being a DeS pro.

Ourobolus

Banned
irriadin said:
But it's the next dark cave area that gets me every time. I'm not even sure what's killing me! But I'm pretty sure it's some kind of invisible ghost that backstabs me :( I'm not sure how to combat that...
The easiest way to tackle this cave IMO is to stand on the first bridge and snipe the ghost to the left with arrows. After he's gone, haul ass down the stairs, and you'll see another ghost at the bottom of the stairs. Run past him to the left (roll if you must), and head straight behind the wall behind him where the reaper is hiding. Slash him once or twice and he should fall to the ground below, killing all the ghosts around him.

I don't recall there really being anything of major importance in that room though, so I'd just skip the backstab ghosts and leave - but the wall tactic mentioned earlier is the best way to deal with them.

irriadin

Ourobolus said:
The easiest way to tackle this cave IMO is to stand on the first bridge and snipe the ghost to the left with arrows. After he's gone, haul ass down the stairs, and you'll see another ghost at the bottom of the stairs. Run past him to the left (roll if you must), and head straight behind the wall behind him where the reaper is hiding. Slash him once or twice and he should fall to the ground below, killing all the ghosts around him.

I don't recall there really being anything of major importance in that room though, so I'd just skip the backstab ghosts and leave - but the wall tactic mentioned earlier is the best way to deal with them.

Thanks for the advice. I must have died at least ten times in that room. Going to try your strategy tonight and hopefully I can own that reaper before four ghosts backstab me off a cliff.

Ourobolus

Banned
irriadin said:
Thanks for the advice. I must have died at least ten times in that room. Going to try your strategy tonight and hopefully I can own that reaper before four ghosts backstab me off a cliff.
Well, killing the reaper doesn't kill the backstab ghosts, just the ones that shoot lasers and try to punch you. However, you can just run past the backstabbers.

darkvir

I took a break from 5-1 and went back to 1-1 to grab all the goodies where the Red Dragon awaits (but doesn't due to the white tendency).

Musiol

I just went back to the Demon's Souls and trying to get platinum. It's going quite good but I will need help from someone from EU servers to get pure moonlight, darkmoon and bladestone. And some rings and unique weapons (mainly from the world tendencies). Will someone from gaffers help me with this? :)

Ourobolus

Banned
Musiol said:
I just went back to the Demon's Souls and trying to get platinum. It's going quite good but I will need help from someone from EU servers to get pure moonlight, darkmoon and bladestone. And some rings and unique weapons (mainly from the world tendencies). Will someone from gaffers help me with this? :)
I can't help (US) but I feel your pain. Pure Moonlight and Pure Darkmoon shouldn't be too rough though. I got those quickly from PBWT in 3-3 and 4-3 Crystal Lizards, respectively. Bladestone, on the other hand... :'(

m31

Is pure white world tendency in network play working for you guys? For some reason executioner Miralda is not appearing. o_O Boletarias world tendency should be pure white because of Demon's Souls 2nd birthday right?

Struct09

ArachosiA 78 said:
How many hours need to be put into this before it starts to click?

I tried getting into it about 6 months ago. Played about 20 hours worth, but it just never really felt that fun to me.

But I want to like it because everyone else seems to think it's the greatest game this generation. And I would hate to miss out on a masterpiece.

Do I need to try again and put more time into it, or should I just accept that it's not for me?

I'm in the same boat you are. I invested 24 hours, and after killing Maneater I just didn't want to play anymore. I really wanted to like it, and will probably make myself finish up the game before they take the servers offline, but I never really enjoyed the experience.

neoemonk

I'm starting to think maybe this isn't the game for me. I've been stuck on the blue eyed knights at the end of 1-2 for a few days now. I just get all panicked, because if I go too far back the archers will shoot me, and if I go too far forward the second one joins the fray.

I'm starting to think that if I have this much trouble with what is presumably a basic enemy, I'm going to have a real hard time later.

Leunam

Fight the first one in the tunnel that he's in. Learn the range of his attacks and goad him into attacking you and strike when he is open. Once he's dead use the same strategy on the other one.

Sweet, finally got
that cool Executioner armour.
Some doors are still locked though, like that large wooden door after you beat that Red Eye Knight. Maybe that's not a World Tendency event?

Don

Zombie James said:
Sweet, finally got
that cool Executioner armour.
Some doors are still locked though, like that large wooden door after you beat that Red Eye Knight. Maybe that's not a World Tendency event?
Yeah, you need to get a special key from
Ostrava
to open that door.

oracrest

m31 said:
Is pure white world tendency in network play working for you guys? For some reason executioner Miralda is not appearing. o_O Boletarias world tendency should be pure white because of Demon's Souls 2nd birthday right?

The server is set to all white, but your game is only marginally influenced by this when it connects. So depending on where your tendency is, you may need to log in and out of the server a few times to get the full influence.

In full white, the stone goes full blown out. If you can still make out the circle shape of the stone, your not there yet.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I finally beat the game yesterday. I didn't find the false king to be all that tough, the dragon honestly took longer and proved to be more difficult to defeat. Think I'm going to put the game down for awhile but before I do could someone explain how do I get the Northern Regalia? I have the Demonbrandt and Soulbrandt along with the false kings soul. But no pro.pt comes up when I visit blacksmith ed in the nexus. Any ideas about what may be wrong

EasyMode

Allonym said:
I finally beat the game yesterday. I didn't find the false king to be all that tough, the dragon honestly took longer and proved to be more difficult to defeat. Think I'm going to put the game down for awhile but before I do could someone explain how do I get the Northern Regalia? I have the Demonbrandt and Soulbrandt along with the false kings soul. But no pro.pt comes up when I visit blacksmith ed in the nexus. Any ideas about what may be wrong
You have to beat
flamelurker again and give his soul to Ed again in 2-1.

m31

oracrest said:
The server is set to all white, but your game is only marginally influenced by this when it connects. So depending on where your tendency is, you may need to log in and out of the server a few times to get the full influence.

In full white, the stone goes full blown out. If you can still make out the circle shape of the stone, your not there yet.

Worked :) Cheers dude

neoemonk said:
I'm starting to think maybe this isn't the game for me. I've been stuck on the blue eyed knights at the end of 1-2 for a few days now. I just get all panicked, because if I go too far back the archers will shoot me, and if I go too far forward the second one joins the fray.

I'm starting to think that if I have this much trouble with what is presumably a basic enemy, I'm going to have a real hard time later.

Equip the Thief Ring, run up directly behind the wheel barrel and take the three archers out with a crossbow, bow or soul arrows. Then bait the first Blue Eyed Knight with a ranged weapon of choice, dodge or block to get an opening and kill him. Do the same for the 2nd Blued Eyed Knight. After that area be sure to snag the crystal gecko on the floor right above the boss room.

And that's pretty much it, if you follow this strategy you'll eventually get it.

Edit: This was my strategy my first playthrough (and subsequent ones) because trust me when I say that you'll be doing this repeatedly trying to finally kill the Tower Knight the first time. Don't let that deter you though because after the Tower Knight most of us are in it for the long haul! And after you kill him those two Blue Eyed Knights are great quick soul farming options.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
well after upgrading my Dragon Longsword to +3 and my Crescent Falchion to +2, i took out the Maneaters alot easier and went on to finish 3-3 as well. time to go finish 4-2!

SolidC213

neoemonk said:

Also those blue eyed knights are vulnerable to fire. If you have a fire spell or fire bombs they should make them MUCH easier.

Since Dark Souls hasn't arrived I decided to start building a strength character in this instead. I beat Vanguard and then the first thing I did in 1-1 was kill Miralda and get her armour. Like a boss. So I can get rid of that heavy Mirdan scale stuff and have pretty much the best armour available to female character (IMO) from the start.

kyubajin

electroshockwave said:
Since Dark Souls hasn't arrived I decided to start building a strength character in this instead. I beat Vanguard and then the first thing I did in 1-1 was kill Miralda and get her armour. Like a boss. So I can get rid of that heavy Mirdan scale stuff and have pretty much the best armour available to female character (IMO) from the start.
And what would the male equivalent to the Binded set be? Ancient King's set?

Sye d'Burns

Quote said:

I went back to Demon's Souls today to revel in the pwwt. I've had this nagging feeling that Dark Souls just seems so empty but I had thought I was mis-remembering. I definitely was not. Ghosts and messages are everywhere in Demon's Soul by comparison. Ghosts in particular, I really love seeing those.

I think I've been having more fun
don't hate me
playing Demon's Souls today than I have playing Dark Souls over the last couple. I'm not really sure why. The emptiness certainly has some bearing on that though.

shiroryu

electroshockwave said:

You beat her with a starting character? Wow. How much does time did it take, and was it a very tough fight? I tried taking her out yesterday with a Lv20 Royal with Soul Arrow/Flame Toss, but it wasn't doing much damage, with her being able to roll, and could only block once before it broke guard.

The pause when the character casts SA/FT is shit. Flame Spray at least sounds like you can keep up a barrage, so need to hopefully take out Armor Spider and rescue Freke before PWWT ends.

Sye d'Burns said:
I went back to Demon's Souls today to revel in the pwwt. I've had this nagging feeling that Dark Souls just seems so empty but I had thought I was mis-remembering. I definitely was not. Ghosts and messages are everywhere in Demon's Soul by comparison. Ghosts in particular, I really love seeing those.

I think I've been having more fun
don't hate me
playing Demon's Souls today than I have playing Dark Souls over the last couple. I'm not really sure why. The emptiness certainly has some bearing on that though.

You are definitely not alone. I am loving every moment of Dark, though the past two nights of Demon's have been on fire with activity and it really accentuates the difference with Dark at the moment.
ATLUS so gets it and always has with DeS. Hopefully, the spike in traffic is as much fresh blood as it is returning combatants.

Sorry to post again about this same topic, but I think I got lost at the end of the last page.

Should I kill Satsuki and Scirvir just cuz I can? Are there any benefits or detriments to either? I ask because I know Satsuki will aggro on me if I talk to him with Makoto in my inventory, but it doesn't seem like he has good drops or anything. What's the point?

Still, I don't want to miss the opportunity to get him while the pure white event is going on. WT seems like too much of a pain to manage manually.

shiroryu

BlewHedgehog said:
Sorry to post again about this same topic, but I think I got lost at the end of the last page.

Should I kill Satsuki and Scirvir just cuz I can? Are there any benefits or detriments to either? I ask because I know Satsuki will aggro on me if I talk to him with Makoto in my inventory, but it doesn't seem like he has good drops or anything. What's the point?

Still, I don't want to miss the opportunity to get him while the pure white event is going on. WT seems like too much of a pain to manage manually.

There's no "have to" - killing them is only if you want their gear. You can keep Makoto without needing to fight Satsuki. Their PWWT forms don't drop much anyway. PBWT seems to be where you can get good drops from their BP forms. And killing their PWWT forms shouldn't prevent them from showing up in PBWT in BP form - at least I haven't read otherwise.

canadian crowe said:
So, since it's PWWT now I decided to try
getting the brushwood armor. Why does Miranda attack me? Is'nt she just supposed to talk to me?

Nope. You are mistaken.
black phantom or not, she is hostile.

shiroryu

canadian crowe said:
So, since it's PWWT now I decided to try
getting the brushwood armor. Why does Miranda attack me? Is'nt she just supposed to talk to me?
Demon's Souls. Where even white is a shade of black. Thought you would just get the Brushwood Armor for free, huh? :p

I tried the same thing and got whacked.

Though once PWWT and PBWT get done, and the server tendencies go to the median, the area will still be open, and you can get the armor then. Be sure to carry a Ring of Herc Strength...if you drop the items because you can't carry them, they'll be gone forever. Or kill Biorr for it.

shiroryu said:
You beat her with a starting character? Wow. How much does time did it take, and was it a very tough fight? I tried taking her out yesterday with a Lv20 Royal with Soul Arrow/Flame Toss, but it wasn't doing much damage, with her being able to roll, and could only block once before it broke guard.

The pause when the character casts SA/FT is shit. Flame Spray at least sounds like you can keep up a barrage, so need to hopefully take out Armor Spider and rescue Freke before PWWT ends.
It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be actually and only took a few minutes, nothing truly terrifying like facing her black phantom form with a starting class. I started with a Temple knight so I went two-handed with my halberd, which caused her to stagger while I hit her a few more times. Then I backed off while my stamina recovered. Although, one time she did roll forward and hit me with that uppercut type move that the Guillotine axe has, which took a large chunk of my health. So I ran back to the area where the crystal lizard is to heal but since I didn't have the thief's ring yet she followed me which was pretty scary.

Since you're a mage I'd say go beat 3-1 and rescue Freke first so that you can learn Soul Ray, it does a lot more damage than Soul arrow. Homing Soul arrow, which you get from Latria's archdemon soul, is really useful too.

Ashodin

So I just iced the Doll and Leech dude.

Doll was easy - Used Adjudicator Shield + Makoto and since I had enough stamina for like 8 hits, she was below 35% health before she disappeared. Then the game was stupid enough to make her reappear at the altar and 1 second later, she was dead. Never got to see her attacks or anything.

Leech was also easy. After making the trek to the floor, Dragon Bone Smasher did its thing. Huge chunks of HP just flying off per attack, and his own attack not even very hard.

I think I've overleveled the game.

Andrew.

Banned
Maxrpg said:
So I just iced the Doll and Leech dude.

Doll was easy - Used Adjudicator Shield + Makoto and since I had enough stamina for like 8 hits, she was below 35% health before she disappeared. Then the game was stupid enough to make her reappear at the altar and 1 second later, she was dead. Never got to see her attacks or anything.

Leech was also easy. After making the trek to the floor, Dragon Bone Smasher did its thing. Huge chunks of HP just flying off per attack, and his own attack not even very hard.

I think I've overleveled the game.

wait till ng+...you wont be over leveled

See You Next Wednesday said:
Started the game up yesterday. I put 10 hours into it & not as impressed as I thought I would be.
10 hours in two days and you're not impressed? I... uh... okay.

Quote said:
10 hours in two days and you're not impressed? I... uh... okay.

I'm not quite liking it, but I am compelled to keep playing.

No maps, no save points, no checkpoints in large labyrinth levels. Spend an hour in a dungeon, only to die at the boss fight from not knowing what to expect? Start all over again from the start.
Leveling not only takes forever, but it does very little to help you.

The game is all about one hit kills, enemies that can kill you in a single hit or combo, or traps that will instant kill you. It's about knowing the enemy patterns & not making even one single mistake taking them on.
Being extra cautious at every turn & goading enemies to chase you so you can take them one on one because this game doesn't have a good system for taking on multiple opponents.

The maps are really hit or miss, like the starting castle & the Storm Shrine are really fun to explore, but the underground swamps, prisons & other such dungeons are a chore.

From what I read, Dark Souls is even harder & more inaccessible than this game, that pretty much killed my hype for that game.

With that all said, this game still has a great sense of accomplishment & is pretty damn addictive. I'm probably going off to play it after I finish posting.

shiroryu

See You Next Wednesday said:
I'm not quite liking it, but I am compelled to keep playing.

No maps, no save points, no checkpoints in large labyrinth levels. Spend an hour in a dungeon, only to die at the boss fight from not knowing what to expect? Start all over again from the start.
Leveling not only takes forever, but it does very little to help you.

The game is all about one hit kills, enemies that can kill you in a single hit or combo, or traps that will instant kill you. It's about knowing the enemy patterns & not making even one single mistake taking them on.
Being extra cautious at every turn & goading enemies to chase you so you can take them one on one because this game doesn't have a good system for taking on multiple opponents.

The maps are really hit or miss, like the starting castle & the Storm Shrine are really fun to explore, but the underground swamps, prisons & other such dungeons are a chore.

From what I read, Dark Souls is even harder & more inaccessible than this game, that pretty much killed my hype for that game.

With that all said, this game still has a great sense of accomplishment & is pretty damn addictive. I'm probably going off to play it after I finish posting.

You're right about the nature of the game, but it's also about exploration. Your first steps once the world opens up are to simply explore the starter levels for items. For example, as a Royal, I explored 4-1 and got a great falchion that scales with magic, giving me a great melee option. It's not going to drastically alter the game, but things like these keep giving you boosts that make it easier. Most enemies can't one hit-kill you, unless you're playing a squishy class with low vitality; that's reserved for bosses.

Trying to go at this in a linear way, completing levels in one attempt, is sure cause for frustration. Keep in mind that you can open shortcuts in most levels, so you cut down on the traveling and combat you need to do to re-traverse the level. Also, enemies don't chase you too far, so you can even run by them instead of fighting if you know your way around the level.

As for Dark Souls, while the themes stay the same, the level design has been changed to make it open world, so you might appreciate the areas more. There's still swamps and shit, but you have a good variety of open and lighter areas like the Palace and Shrine in Demons' Souls. Don't let DeS turn you off Dark Souls, or vice versa. Check out the Dark Souls threads if you haven't already.

Quick question about the Black/White Tendency stuff. Are the named characters and their BP forms separate entities?

I have world 2 at PBWT at the moment, if I kill the BP NPC will he still appear for me to do his PWWT event later?

shiroryu

Die Squirrel Die said:
Quick question about the Black/White Tendency stuff. Are the named characters and their BP forms separate entities?

I have world 2 at PBWT at the moment, if I kill the BP NPC will he still appear for me to do his PWWT event later?
Yes, they are separate.

Number45

So I managed to get through 1-1 without too much fuss, but then getting whipped on the bridge on 1-2 (there are four archers and a couple of blue eyed knights at the end). I'm pretty sure I can take them, but should I be trying some of the other -1 levels first?

Still have Royalty starting gear other than a few rings (Cling/Herculean).

Number45 said:
So I managed to get through 1-1 without too much fuss, but then getting whipped on the bridge on 1-2 (there are four archers and a couple of blue eyed knights at the end). I'm pretty sure I can take them, but should I be trying some of the other -1 levels first?

Still have Royalty starting gear other than a few rings (Cling/Herculean).

I'm finding magic is the best combat option. Invest heavily in the Magic stat & have a lot of MP potions with you.
Soul Arrow kills most enemies in two shots, there are two additional Magic spells similar to Soul Arrow later in the game.
The last is able to kill most bosses in one shot!

Musiol

Ok, practically I beaten NG+ (only False King left) but I want to platinum this game. Need Pure Greystone (currently farming one), weapon from Marrowstone (next farming of chunk), and then Bladestone farming and probably won't farm Darkstone, all lizards dead. And after this whole weapon upgrade shit 2 gold trophies, all rings and unique weapons.

IF someone want to help me with this (would really appreciate this), I'm playing EU server, currently 239 SL. (halp, please? )

Top Bottom