• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

shiroryu

Number45 said:
So I managed to get through 1-1 without too much fuss, but then getting whipped on the bridge on 1-2 (there are four archers and a couple of blue eyed knights at the end). I'm pretty sure I can take them, but should I be trying some of the other -1 levels first?

Still have Royalty starting gear other than a few rings (Cling/Herculean).

A general good tactic is to attempt the other 1's - 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1 to get better items, though nothing is mandatory. Do you also have the thief ring? It'll reduce your aggro distance so the encounter might be more manageable. You can also take down the dragon by standing on top of a watch tower and Soul Arrowing it every time it makes a run, but you'll need the help of the Fragrant ring and a healthy stock of Spices. 10k souls and you can lure the normal foes.

The Herculean ring is not required except when you need to carry items back to the Nexus for storage with Thomas.

Number45

Thanks, I think I'll try the other -1s then (though I might make a cheeky run back for the souls first - in fact just to check, the souls are the only thing I lose when I die (other than item durability) right?).

4-2 is kicking my arse, I can't get past the 2nd Reaver. If I kill the 1st Shadowlurker then get out of aggro range (I pretty much never take the Thief's Ring off) will he still come at me?

shiroryu

Number45 said:
Thanks, I think I'll try the other -1s then (though I might make a cheeky run back for the souls first - in fact just to check, the souls are the only thing I lose when I die (other than item durability) right?).
Yes, if you die you get your souls to zero and you have one chance to regain them from your bloodstain. If you die before you get them back, they're gone forever. Don't get too hung up on losing souls, though - the game makes farming for souls easy once you have good items.

You also 'lose' the consumables - grass, spices - you went through in getting that far, as well as item durability, but you can always farm souls to buy more and repair your weapons.

A good way to approach a new level is to focus on opening up shortcuts and learning enemy patterns instead of overly worrying about not dying. There are good farming spots, such as 4-1 where you get a good number of souls relatively quickly, and more open up as you complete levels. It's a good idea to farm when farming ( low risk) and ignore souls when fighting bosses ( high risk).

leroidys

I'm playing through NG+ with a low SL blueblood build, and have found light weapon, which I did not use once on my first playthrough, to be absolutely essential now. It makes bosses and big enemies I can sneak up on SOOOO much easier. As in, still balls hard, but no longer impossible.

Ourobolus

Banned
The Boat said:
Question: after the PWWT event is over, will it stay white if I don't go online after that?
Yes, you should maintain whatever tendency you had when you logged off. But after the 17th if you go online it'll start averaging towards PBWT.

Kerrinck

I only started playing recently and noticed a message saying that the tendency will be pure white until the 17th. Is there any way to go to pure black or do I have to wait until the 17th?

Ourobolus

Banned
AwesomeSauce said:
Anyone got tips against the false king? Dude soul sucked 3 levels from me arghhhhhh.
After playing the entire game as strictly melee, the spell Warding was integral to winning this fight for me. Warding up, run in with a heavy shield, block or dodge the attack, strike. After getting a few hits in I anticipate Warding wearing off, so I run to a corner to hide until it does, then recast and use a spice if I have to.
Kerrinck said:
I only started playing recently and noticed a message saying that the tendency will be pure white until the 17th. Is there any way to go to pure black or do I have to wait until the 17th?
Play offline. Sign out of Playstation Network and when it asks you to connect, cancel. You can manipulate tendency as you like, and it'll remain however you leave it next time you play, as long as you don't go online with it. The PWWT tendency only affects you online, and supposedly after the 17th the online tendency will shift to Pure Black.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
See You Next Wednesday said:
I'm finding magic is the best combat option. Invest heavily in the Magic stat & have a lot of MP potions with you.
Soul Arrow kills most enemies in two shots, there are two additional Magic spells similar to Soul Arrow later in the game.
The last is able to kill most bosses in one shot!

Don't be a pussy. Be a savage.

Quick question as I'm trying to get into this for the third time heh. My health bar is half of what is shown, what does that mean? I've died and regained my soul, what do you have to do?

maomaoIYP

Square Triangle said:
Quick question as I'm trying to get into this for the third time heh. My health bar is half of what is shown, what does that mean? I've died and regained my soul, what do you have to do?

It means you're now in the soul form. In order to revive to the human form you need to kill a boss, or use a revive item. You should get used to it as soon as you can though, you'll be playing through most of the game in the soul form. In 1-1 there's an item to extend the health that you get in the soul form, so just push on ahead slowly.

maomaoIYP said:
It means you're now in the soul form. In order to revive to the human form you need to kill a boss, or use a revive item. You should get used to it as soon as you can though, you'll be playing through most of the game in the soul form. In 1-1 there's an item to extend the health that you get in the soul form, so just push on ahead slowly.
Awesome Ty for the info.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
_tetsuo_ said:
Don't be a pussy. Be a savage.

That's what Im talking about. How these guys opt to stand outside an enemies range and nail him with magic and arrows is beyond me. What sense of reward or gratification is gained in doing that? GET UP ALL IN THEY ASS PARRY AND REPOSTE...BAM and that's how you do it. People say newbies shouldn't start off as Barbarians, well I did and I made it bitches! But in all seriousness, melee is the meat of this game and missing it is missing out on the game but the beautiful thing about DS is that it welcomes and suits all play types. I think what Ill do is go through the game and create a character thats maxed out in all fields. Probably take forever to do though but my health and strength are already pretty high.

Allonym said:
That's what Im talking about. How these guys opt to stand outside an enemies range and nail him with magic and arrows is beyond me. What sense of reward or gratification is gained in doing that? GET UP ALL IN THEY ASS PARRY AND REPOSTE...BAM and that's how you do it. People say newbies shouldn't start off as Barbarians, well I did and I made it bitches! But in all seriousness, melee is the meat of this game and missing it is missing out on the game but the beautiful thing about DS is that it welcomes and suits all play types. I think what Ill do is go through the game and create a character thats maxed out in all fields. Probably take forever to do though but my health and strength are already pretty high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ewr4BSTr8Q
First thing that came to mind when I read this post! :p

But I agree, melee is the way to go. But a nice mix of the two will be better in all situations. A lightweight catalyst is better to trudge around than a bow or crossbow.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Kerrinck said:

No need to go offline. You just need to be in body form and then suicide seven times (taking a stone of ephemeral whatever to resurrect yourself) in the world that you want PBWT in. Even if the server is PWWT, your deaths in body form will still shift that world toward PBWT. The only caveat is that the server setting for this special October event will reset the tendency of the world that you're trying to get to pure black every 24 hours (I think midnight PST is when it resets). So you need to do your suicides to get to PBWT and then do whatever it is you want to do in that world (kill BP Satsuki, for example) in the same day, before the server switches the PBWT world back to PWWT at midnight.

But if you don't have time, it's probably just easier to go offline or wait until the 17th when Atlus flips the switch to PBWT.

Ourobolus

Banned
luxarific said:
No need to go offline. You just need to be in body form and then suicide seven times (taking a stone of ephemeral whatever to resurrect yourself) in the world that you want PBWT in. Even if the server is PWWT, your deaths in body form will still shift that world toward PBWT. The only caveat is that the server setting for this special October event will reset the tendency of the world that you're trying to get to pure black every 24 hours (I think midnight PST is when it resets). So you need to do your suicides to get to PBWT and then do whatever it is you want to do in that world (kill BP Satsuki, for example) in the same day, before the server switches the PBWT world back to PWWT at midnight.

But if you don't have time, it's probably just easier to go offline or wait until the 17th when Atlus flips the switch to PBWT.
I thought the way it worked was that because the server median is automatically pushed to PWWT, every time he logs in it will move his current WT towards PWWT. I didn't think it was one giant push to PWWT - I did that earlier and ended up with...neutral, or close to it, after coming off of PBWT. Technically if he logs in and out enough times in succession during the day, he should get to PWWT.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
shiroryu said:
A general good tactic is to attempt the other 1's - 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1 to get better items, though nothing is mandatory.
Except for 1-3 right? I beat the boss of 1-2 (the level was a breeze...the boss was not) and it says I need to defeat an archdemon to pass. I'm assuming that means I need to try another area for now?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Ourobolus said:
I thought the way it worked was that because the server median is automatically pushed to PWWT, every time he logs in it will move his current WT towards PWWT. I didn't think it was one giant push to PWWT - I did that earlier and ended up with...neutral, or close to it, after coming off of PBWT. Technically if he logs in and out enough times in succession during the day, he should get to PWWT.

Does he want to get to PWWT though? I thought he wanted to get to PBWT, even though the servers are in PWWT. All I know is that I was in neutral WT before the event started and then I logged in after Atlus flipped the PWWT switch and everything was white. After dying seven times to get one of my worlds to pure black, I logged off last night. Playing this morning I noticed that the PBWT world is now pure white again, even though I hadn't killed the BP that I'd pushed the world to black for. I still need to do Mephistopheles's side quest, so I'll see how things look like tomorrow.

Leunam

Jive Turkey said:
Except for 1-3 right? I beat the boss of 1-2 (the level was a breeze...the boss was not) and it says I need to defeat an archdemon to pass. I'm assuming that means I need to try another area for now?

The Archdemons are the X-3 bosses of each location other than Boletarian Palace.

Dragnet

Finished this last night on my first run, absolutely loved all 70 hours. Definitely up there in my top games ever. Only just realising the depth too, I read so much stuff on the wiki during my run through and it's only just hitting me how much depth there is, how many ways to play and paths to take. Love it!

Decided not to go NG+ but to start a new character because I wanted to play very differently (was heavy melee my first run), I've gone for a Thief/Mage crossover, I can get close up if needs be and do some Dagger damage but I can keep distance too and rain hell down on them, lots of fun so far.

maomaoIYP

Dragnet said:
Finished this last night on my first run, absolutely loved all 70 hours. Definitely up there in my top games ever. Only just realising the depth too, I read so much stuff on the wiki during my run through and it's only just hitting me how much depth there is, how many ways to play and paths to take. Love it!

Decided not to go NG+ but to start a new character because I wanted to play very differently (was heavy melee my first run), I've gone for a Thief/Mage crossover, I can get close up if needs be and do some Dagger damage but I can keep distance too and rain hell down on them, lots of fun so far.

Not moving to Dark Souls? I honestly think that Dark Souls is a much better game.

shiroryu

Jive Turkey said:
Kinda lame that you can't go through the full world but oh well. 2-1 here I come.
Yeah, it feels like an arbitrary restriction, in the same way that you can't level up before you beat 1-1.

shiroryu

maomaoIYP said:
Not moving to Dark Souls? I honestly think that Dark Souls is a much better game.

The loss of the Nexus is a sore point for me, I liked having a place of sanctuary where all NPCs were clustered, as opposed to a spread-out world where bonfires are your only recourse. Plus having all NPCs in a single area makes shopping easier :p

I appreciate some of the gameplay changes, however. The DkS equivalent of Soul form no longer carries a stiff HP penalty, and changing back to 'body form' is easier as well. Plus the environments are brighter and more beautiful. Grinding is easier because you can simply grind around bonfires.

Edit: Double post, dammit.

Ourobolus

Banned
YES! Finally got my Pure Bladestone. I was getting annoyed so I pulled out my calculator to see how many souls I was getting per run, and the moment I did it the PB dropped. Heh.

Now I just need to get the Foe's Ring, then beat the game and then Old Monk and Maiden Astrea one more time and I'll finally get that damn plat. My first!

Musiol

Can anyone help me to get Pure Bladestones and Darkmoon stone? Literally, I'm doomed, because Lizards are dead and I can't get this.. EU servel, SL 275.

Number45

Man, I tried 3-1 and 4-1 last night and sucked pretty badly at both of those. :p

I did manage to get past the red eyed knight and pick up the Crescent Falchion +1 though, so that's something at least. Screw the poison dudes in 3-1 (I really should just ignore those caskets shouldn't I?).

I'm toying with the idea of trying to take down the dragon in 1-2 so that I can get the items from that open area in 1-1 (there's a decent shield there if I'm right?). Maybe I'll try 2-1 later as well.

Biggzy

Number45 said:
Man, I tried 3-1 and 4-1 last night and sucked pretty badly at both of those. :p

I did manage to get past the red eyed knight and pick up the Crescent Falchion +1 though, so that's something at least. Screw the poison dudes in 3-1 (I really should just ignore those caskets shouldn't I?).

I'm toying with the idea of trying to take down the dragon in 1-2 so that I can get the items from that open area in 1-1 (there's a decent shield there if I'm right?). Maybe I'll try 2-1 later as well.

If you are feeling brave then you don't have to take the Dragon down for the purple flame shield. Instead if you are quick you can can evade his flame and get the loot and quickly run and jump down the ledge. I should know because I have done it.

Sarcasm

Ugh I get so lost...

Finally figured it would be time to actually use my consoles, having a blast with a starter royal. I get the cling ring open a shortcut. But so lost.

Also why can't I wear the cling ring?

Leunam

You should be able to wear your Cling Ring with no issues. You won't get the benefit in body form but I don't think that should stop you from equipping it.

Sarcasm

Leunam said:
You should be able to wear your Cling Ring with no issues. You won't get the benefit in body form but I don't think that should stop you from equipping it.

The Use Item is greyed out..now thinking about it I may be in the wrong pane?

Number45

Biggzy said:
If you are feeling brave then you don't have to take the Dragon down for the purple flame shield. Instead if you are quick you can can evade his flame and get the loot and quickly run and jump down the ledge. I should know because I have done it.
Just looked at that shield, seems mahoosive so I'm not sure it's going to be a worthwhile investment in terms of mobility for what's essentially going to be a magic heavy build.

Mind you, with the Falchion (boosted by Int/Mag right?) I suppose I can have my cake and eat it?

Sarcasm said:
Yeah, move one pane to the right and you'll see the ring slots towards the bottom right of the equip screen.

kyubajin

Sarcasm said:
If you take 3 minutes to read the game manual, you will learn that all equipment, including your consumables, must be equipped throught the obscurely named Equipment tab.

Leunam

Sarcasm said:

Equip it in the equipment window. Keep three rings on you (they don't weigh much) so you can swap rings on and off when you revive and die and revive and die.

Sarcasm said:

You equip items from the 2nd menu option from the left (the one that says equipment). The ring slots are the two on the 2nd row, fathest right.

FatalT

Banned
I picked this up today because I never actually beat it and traded it in a while ago. I rented Dark Souls and it's awesome but I wanna finish this one first. I hope there's still a lot of people online.

ruxtpin

Banned
I started my first playthrough of DS and choose a priest. So I'm rolling with this mace and I've upgraded it a couple of times by using the guy at the Nexus. Should I stop doing "standard" upgrades at a certain point if I hope to have it upgraded into that special cleaver? I read something that recommended not upgrading past +3...

shiroryu

Number45 said:

Eh, right now the servers are in PWWT till the 17th, so if you connect and reconnect a few times you'll get Boletaria to PWWT. Check your tendency screen, and you'll see the Boletaria archstone all white with a slight glow in the middle.

Guess who go missing in 1-1 when Boletaria is in PWWT. It's an all-you-carry buffet.

Top Bottom