• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

dosh

I'm pretty astonished to see I'm still getting some multiplayer action in the game. I thought that by now, everyone would have left for Dark Souls, but I'm still getting summoned by Old Monk or other players, and I invaded/got invaded for the better part of yesterday's evening. Really cool.

I'm pretty astonished to see I'm still getting some multiplayer action in the game. I thought that by now, everyone would have left for Dark Souls, but I'm still getting summoned by Old Monk or other players, and I invaded/got invaded for the better part of yesterday's evening. Really cool.

What was your SL? I tried to invade/get invaded at SL100, and had no luck at all.

Sullichin

This game still fucking rocks. Dark Souls adds many improvements but the atmosphere of this game can't be beat.
Still haven't beaten Allant at SL1. 1-4 is really annoying to get through each time, it's much easier to run past enemies in Dark Souls!

Soulhouf

This game still fucking rocks. Dark Souls adds many improvements but the atmosphere of this game can't be beat.
Still haven't beaten Allant at SL1. 1-4 is really annoying to get through each time, it's much easier to run past enemies in Dark Souls!

Dark Souls is definitely the easier game. I have no problem beating it SL1, unlike Demon's Souls where every world is a big challenge.

Totally agree. I put the disc back in this week after watching the ENB playthrough on youtube and I'm loving it all over again. Dark Souls refined a lot of things, but it has nothing that matches Boleteria, Tower of Latria etc. 1-3, 1-4 are just stunning level design and atmosphere.

I still think the weapon upgrade system needs simplifying in the next game, Dark Souls made it a little trimmer, I really feel like it's a bother to look through all the different upgrade types in Demon's - overwhelming, so I just stuck with sharpstone.

Also the Nexus is cool, but I prefer the the connected world of DkS, again to upgrade going to 2-1 and then back to the Nexus, then to another archstone seems a lot of bother.

I'm so glad they dropped the item burden stat, it is a huge pain in the ass.

Soulhouf

I still think the weapon upgrade system needs simplifying in the next game, Dark Souls made it a little trimmer, I really feel like it's a bother to look through all the different upgrade types in Demon's - overwhelming, so I just stuck with sharpstone.

I love the upgrade system in Demon's Souls and I still prefer it to the Dark Souls one, that's whey I don't think simplifying it would make it better.
I pretty much agree that It's complicated and a pain in the ass but that's what make it awesome IMO.

I love the upgrade system in Demon's Souls and I still prefer it to the Dark Souls one, that's whey I don't think simplifying it would make it better.
I pretty much agree that It's complicated and a pain in the ass but that's what make it awesome IMO.
I admit I've never delved into it properly, so it's my own fault if I find it overbearing.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Some of the upgrades just do not make sense to me. Why we got enchanted and magic? Has anyone ever used an occult weapon? Raw?

Wrong thread.

But anyway, a lot of the obscure upgrade paths make the most sense when sticking to a certain SL or stat field. Occult for example is one of the best paths for a base Knight class when not using elementals.

Sullichin

Magic and Enchanted in Dark Souls are kind of equivalent to moon and crescent in Demon's Souls, but DeS upgrade paths actually make sense! You can't make a uchigatana that has A scaling with your magic damage in Dark Souls. Upgrading your weapons is more difficult in this game because of the damn crystal lizards and general rarity of certain materials though. Just took me forever to get the materials for a dragon longsword +5, which is one of the easier upgrade paths. I think it's the strongest weapon I can use at SL1 (two handed). Still only does like 150 damage against Allant. Might use Clever Rat's Ring because this is impossible and I pretty much die in one hit anyway.

I never did all the white/black world tendency events in the game, so I really want to try and do a playthrough to get them all done - doable in NG, or do I need to use NG+ too? I was planning on doing a 100% offline playthrough.

Soulhouf

I never did all the white/black world tendency events in the game, so I really want to try and do a playthrough to get them all done - doable in NG, or do I need to use NG+ too? I was planning on doing a 100% offline playthrough.

It's doable in NG online and here is the safest way:

There is still a way to make it pure white. The only condition is that you need at least one boss alive and the NPC BP and Primevil Demon alive as well.
1/You need to make the world pure black. From that point it's better to be in soul form to not die by mistake and screw your run.
2/After that you kill the NPC BP AND Primevil Demon WHITHOUT returning to the Nexus.
3/Kill the remaining boss
4/Return to the Nexus and go back to the world and it should be pure white

Enjoy!

I completely missed Mephistopheles on the playthrough I just did, I really need to use a FAQ because I forgot *everything* - I didn't even pick up the moonlight sword even though I was down in 5-2 for ages and went up to the area where you cut down the slugs to get it. On 5-2, I hated that area so much the first time around, but coming back to it the other day I had no problems with it at all, all that time in Blighttown took away the anxiety.

Need to read up on world tendency too so I get it right - this was one of the parts of the game I almost completely ignored the first time.

Soulhouf

Oh yeah.

I gave you a task. Now get on with it.

Another event I had a hard time running into was Surt in the Nexus. Some great dialogue there too.

Hmmm done already? Here is your reward, take it.

Among the special WT NPCs, my favorite is Selen. Her quest is elaborate and her BP kicked my ass so hard the first time.

Reading about WT - now I understand why everyone was always suiciding in the Nexus, because if you die in body form, that world decreases -1 WT.

And it seems easier to get to Pure Black, so would you guys say it's better to go for Pure White WT first, then do the PBWT events afterwards?

cj_iwakura

Reading about WT - now I understand why everyone was always suiciding in the Nexus, because if you die in body form, that world decreases -1 WT.

And it seems easier to get to Pure Black, so would you guys say it's better to go for Pure White WT first, then do the PBWT events afterwards?

Yep. PWWT is tough, PB is easy.

Soulhouf

Do this, that way you do PB and PW at the same time, you kill 2 birds with one stone:

1/You need to make the world pure black. From that point it's better to be in soul form to not die by mistake and screw your run.
2/After that you kill the NPC BP AND Primevil Demon WHITHOUT returning to the Nexus.
3/Kill the remaining boss
4/Return to the Nexus and go back to the world and it should be pure white

That way you're guaranteed 100% that you don't screw up.

@cj_iwakura: Haha. That's so accurate indeed.

So you can do the whole of the world without worrying about WT, die a few times in body form to make it PBWT, and just make sure the final boss of that whole world is still alive. Killing the NPC BP, Primevil Demon and the boss will turn it to PWWT and then do the PWWT events in that world.

Wrapping my head around it all now! Thank you. :)

Edit - One last question - is there any connection between NPCs in body form and their BP versions? Say I turn a world Pure Black, kill the BP version, then when I make it Pure White, the NPC is there in body form? I'm getting confused again!

Soulhouf

So you can do the whole of the world without worrying about WT, die a few times in body form to make it PBWT, and just make sure the final boss of that whole world is still alive. Killing the NPC BP, Primevil Demon and the boss will turn it to PWWT and then do the PWWT events in that world.

Wrapping my head around it all now! Thank you. :)

Edit - One last question - is there any connection between NPCs in body form and their BP versions? Say I turn a world Pure Black, kill the BP version, then when I make it Pure White, the NPC is there in body form? I'm getting confused again!

No connection. In PW all the NPCs will show up in human form except for Rydell who will be a blue phantom (for a good reason).
In PW some are friendly and others are hostile.

Completed this playthrough and did all the tendency events except getting an item in 5-1 - I totally forgot about it even though I was being thorough.

Now I've done them I see tendency isn't complicated, it's just another of those things that isn't really explained in game very obviously, and I guess it's aimed at extending the games life for repeated plays since it depends somewhat on know what to do when and where.

Glad I came back to the game after all this time and finished off those few things I didn't do originally.

I'm trying to platinum the game, and the struggle for that pure bladestone is killing me.

Tell me about it. I got that out of the way ASAP, before I even thought about doing anything else. After that it's pretty much a cake walk. Still time consuming though!

Vibed

I just got the sequel a few days ago and am going to play that, but I noticed this thread so...

I got this game back in May when they said the servers were going to shut down in June. I bought it under that impression and on my first night of playing, got my ass whupped.

I spent six fucking hours on the first level and ended up worse than I started with dull blades and healing items mostly depleted. (I was a wanderer, by the way.) Frustrated the hell out of me, but I pushed on. I adapted my style of play from frenzied to methodical. I thought I wasn't rushing it before that, but I guess I was. I used my shield more often instead of trying to dodge everything. Over time, I did get better and it became for the most part easier as I progressed. Finally, I beat it several weeks later. I had a lot of fun and it actually humbled me a bit. I tried not to rush it, take it slowly, and plan ahead. Worked out pretty well.

Also, I never used riposte besides testing it once or twice, it that normal?

Hopefully I can tackle the sequel with less difficulty~!

Soulhouf

Also, I never used riposte besides testing it once or twice, it that normal?

Nothing is wrong with that but it makes fights against the knights easier. It's a must against King Doran as well since he is very resistant and very easy to parry/riposte.

dosh

Tell me about it. I got that out of the way ASAP, before I even thought about doing anything else. After that it's pretty much a cake walk. Still time consuming though!

DeS platinum is like a tiny black hole that eats away my time. Getting all the trophies in Dark Souls felt pretty good, but in retrospect it seems so easy compared to DeS...

What SL are you? I can give you one, I think my platinum character is SL150 or so

Thanks for the offer, kind sir. I stopped leveling at around 60 though. But that's very generous of you :)

JeTmAn81

So after playing Dark Souls I decided to pick this up and got a copy from a Gaffer. Enjoying it so far, though I've only visited a few levels. The art style and general graphics engine seem to be not as good as Dark Souls, but the core gameplay is exactly the same. I'm noticing a lot of areas that have equivalents in Dark Souls, so that's interesting to notice as I play through (Blighttown = Valley of Defilement).

Anyway, I expended most of my healing grasses on my battle with the Fool's Idol, only to beat her and then learn that I had to do it all again since I hadn't killed the guy that resurrects her first. D'oh! I decided to check out some other levels to build up my grasses, but I haven't had a lot of success with the second level of Stonefang Tunnel. I did get quite a ways into the Valley of Defilement but I died without unlocking a shortcut and I didn't feel like slogging all the way back to where I died at that moment. I will probably just go back and try the Fool's Idol again now. Any suggestions on optimal completion order for the areas?

Soulhouf

So after playing Dark Souls I decided to pick this up and got a copy from a Gaffer. Enjoying it so far, though I've only visited a few levels. The art style and general graphics engine seem to be not as good as Dark Souls, but the core gameplay is exactly the same. I'm noticing a lot of areas that have equivalents in Dark Souls, so that's interesting to notice as I play through (Blighttown = Valley of Defilement).

Anyway, I expended most of my healing grasses on my battle with the Fool's Idol, only to beat her and then learn that I had to do it all again since I hadn't killed the guy that resurrects her first. D'oh! I decided to check out some other levels to build up my grasses, but I haven't had a lot of success with the second level of Stonefang Tunnel. I did get quite a ways into the Valley of Defilement but I died without unlocking a shortcut and I didn't feel like slogging all the way back to where I died at that moment. I will probably just go back and try the Fool's Idol again now. Any suggestions on optimal completion order for the areas?

In the beginning Blue Eye Knights are your best bet to obtain good healing grasses.
As for the completion order, doing a suicide run in the beginning of world 4&5 will give you good items. After that I always go to Stonefang Tunnel to get the blacksmith into work :)

Dresden

Doing the first level of each zone isn't a bad idea - 4-1 and 5-1 in particular have some good loot.

mattp

ok so i just about finished the the dark souls dlc content and i'm ready to go back to demon's souls for the first time since before dark souls
are there still enough people playing that i'll get
a real person for the 3-3 boss?

PolishQ

After beating Dark Souls on PC I've been playing through Demon's on PS3. Had a nice breakthrough last night and beat Maneater, Old Monk and Flamelurker!

elohel

After beating Dark Souls on PC I've been playing through Demon's on PS3. Had a nice breakthrough last night and beat Maneater, Old Monk and Flamelurker!

christ! that's one hell of a breakthrough dude lol

also, so for sure the american version of demon's souls STILL has its servers up?

I restarted my first borked character (overloaded, bad gear and horrible face/hair) and got through 1-1. I also helped someone with 1-2 and got myself a Claymore that I'll be taking to Crushing. Hopefully with a bit of a plan I might get through this some day.

Mifune

Mehmber
Getting my ass absolutely handed to me by that fucking giant just past the rats in 5-1. He either beats my brains in or I roll and fall off the cliff. What's funny is I beat that dude the first time I got that far (and succumbed to the plague from the filthy rodents) but now I don't even get a swing in. It's like I freak out or something.

Anybody have any legit non-cheese strategies for fighting this guy? Thanks much.

one85x

Getting my ass absolutely handed to me by that fucking giant just past the rats in 5-1. He either beats my brains in or I roll and fall off the cliff. What's funny is I beat that dude the first time I got that far (and succumbed to the plague from the filthy rodents) but now I don't even get a swing in. It's like I freak out or something.

Anybody have any legit non-cheese strategies for fighting this guy? Thanks much.
If you've lowered it, you can lure him across the bridge for some extra room to fight.

Soulhouf

Purple Flame Shield is all what you need.

I've done Flamelurker, Dragon God and 1-2 just now. I have a +3 Crushing Claymore, a +8 or 9 Compound Short Bow and a +3 Purple Flame Shield. I just don't know if I should bother getting more endurance (would want 2 more in Equip Load so I can switch in a chestplate) or more luck for farming.

I found that backtracking from Flamelurker was really good for farming Greystone, so there's something.

What decides how many times I can farm the lizards? Both the one at Dragon God and the one at the start of 2-1 have disappeared now after killing them maybe 3-4 times.

Top Bottom