• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Coldsnap

I'm having a hard time getting my world tendency to shift in world 2. Trying to get the Dragon Bone Smasher.

My method has been to put my soul sign down by Flamelurker, kill it for someone. Then go kill myself in world 1 because I'm shifting that to pure black. World 1 is shifting towards black but world 2 just seems to be stuck in what looks like pure white to me.

I'm surprised how active this game still is. Sunday morning and I've killed Flamelurker 3 times for people.

I'm having a hard time getting my world tendency to shift in world 2. Trying to get the Dragon Bone Smasher.

My method has been to put my soul sign down by Flamelurker, kill it for someone. Then go kill myself in world 1 because I'm shifting that to pure black. World 1 is shifting towards black but world 2 just seems to be stuck in what looks like pure white to me.

I'm surprised how active this game still is. Sunday morning and I've killed Flamelurker 3 times for people.

That's what you want to get the bone smasher. Seems like everything is working the way it should. World 1 is going towards black because you're dying in it, world 2 is going towards white because you're defeating a boss in it.

Coldsnap

That's what you want to get the bone smasher. Seems like everything is working the way it should. World 1 is going towards black because you're dying in it, world 2 is going towards white because you're defeating a boss in it.

I'm not sure if being summoned and killing a boss changes your world tendency now :( Four Flamelurker kills and the path is still blocked. I guess killing invaders is the only option.

one85x

I'm not sure if being summoned and killing a boss changes your world tendency now :( Four Flamelurker kills and the path is still blocked. I guess killing invaders is the only option.
If the Dragon God is still alive, then you can still get to pure white by killing BP Scirvir and the Primeval Demon.

one85x

Okay. I actually need to kill BP Scirvir. Will the tendecy + for killing BP Scirvir unspawn the Primeval Demon though?
Your world tendency only changes when you go back to the Nexus, so you'd have to kill them both without traveling back to the Nexus. Make sure you're not in human form while doing this by the way, just in case.

Coldsnap

Your world tendency only changes when you go back to the Nexus, so you'd have to kill them both without traveling back to the Nexus. Make sure you're not in human form while doing this by the way, just in case.

Gotcha, make sense. Then killing Dragon God will pop it to pure, just have to make sure I stay in soul form.

TnK

I killed BP scrivir, but not the prime evil demon and the 2-3 boss, but it did not change it to pure white for me. Does it work? I wanted to try dual wielding the DBS.

one85x

I killed BP scrivir, but not the prime evil demon and the 2-3 boss, but it did not change it to pure white for me. Does it work? I wanted to try dual wielding the DBS.
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

World tendency ranges from +3 at pure white to -4 at pure black. The black phantom and primeval demon both give a +3 shift to WT when killed. So killing them both will take you from -4 to +2, one below pure white. Killing the final boss gives a +1 shift to WT, which is all you need at that point to get to pure white. So, it works, but you need to kill both the black phantom and the primeval demon without traveling back to the Nexus. If you just kill one and travel back to the Nexus, the other will despawn because you'll no longer be in pure black.

TnK

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

World tendency ranges from +3 at pure white to -4 at pure black. The black phantom and primeval demon both give a +3 shift to WT when killed. So killing them both will take you from -4 to +2, one below pure white. Killing the final boss gives a +1 shift to WT, which is all you need at that point to get to pure white. So, it works, but you need to kill both the black phantom and the primeval demon without traveling back to the Nexus. If you just kill one and travel back to the Nexus, the other will despawn because you'll no longer be in pure black.

I see, I never knew killing a primeval demon adds a +3. Explains why 1-3 suddenly became neutral after killing it.

Started playing this game recently for the very first time. I've completed 1-1, 2-1, 1-2, 3-1 and I'm currently making my way through 3-2. The thing that is bothering me is that I feel overpowered for the part of the game I'm at. I'm level 35. Is my level too high?

Deimo5

Started playing this game recently for the very first time. I've completed 1-1, 2-1, 1-2, 3-1 and I'm currently making my way through 3-2. The thing that is bothering me is that I feel overpowered for the part of the game I'm at. I'm level 35. Is my level too high?

Seems ok (I think?) but your equipment is probably more important than your level. What are you using?
The first stages of a world always have the weakest enemies too.

Tower of Latria has generally very weak enemies. 3-2 has easier enemies than 3-1 for what it is worth it.

Try World 4-1 for a difference.

Dr. Buni

I am playing this game for a couple weeks. Beat only four levels so far

Boletarian Palace 1, 2
Stonefang Tunnel 1
Tower Latria 1

It is fucking amazing, as well as frustrating (sometimes). Loved every boss battle so far.

Any tips for what level I should try next?

I am soul level 38, focused on endurance, magic and with 22 in strength (to be able to wield the purple shield).

I use Scimitar+5, Purple Flame Shield and Yurt, the chief's armor.

Shengar

I am playing this game for a couple weeks. Beat only four levels so far

Boletarian Palace 1, 2
Stonefang Tunnel 1
Tower Latria 1

It is fucking amazing, as well as frustrating (sometimes). Loved every boss battle so far.

Any tips for what level I should try next?

I am soul level 38, focused on endurance, magic and with 22 in strength (to be able to wield the purple shield).

I use Scimitar+5, Purple Flame Shield and Yurt, the chief's armor.

I would point my finger to the Archstone on the right corner, Valley of Defilement.

Shengar

Sounds good. I guess I should equip Adjudicator's Shield to counter the HP-draining swamp?

PS: Dude, you are everywhere.

That is the problem. I don't know which I want to experience next.

To quote Domhnall of Zena: "Great mind think alike eh?" :p

Just go there with whatever equipment you like! Taste Valley of Defilement to its fullest I say!
Actually other than the enviroment, Valley of Defilement have sucky boss. When your level is high, they become increasingly easy to handle. 5-3 is a bit different though, and I can't say it suck due to the atmosphere and the music.

Dr. Buni

To quote Domhnall of Zena: "Great mind think alike eh?" :p

Just go there with whatever equipment you like! Taste Valley of Defilement to its fullest I say!
Actually other than the enviroment, Valley of Defilement have sucky boss. When your level is high, they become increasingly easy to handle. 5-3 is a bit different though, and I can't say it suck due to the atmosphere and the music.
Why do you say the is boss sucky? :(

Seanspeed

Banned
Finished 1-1 and 1-2.

I can see how people who played this and then Dark Souls think Dark Souls isn't very difficult. Its just being used to the combat and the general Souls-style strategy. I'm playing this after Dark Souls and I haven't been too troubled yet. Only died twice, both of which were to the red-eyed spear guy in 1-1 who I did beat on the 3rd try. And I only died because I would frantically try and finish him when he was super low on health before he could heal himself again and I'd get caught out cuz he could suddenly block out of nowhere and stun me for a second.

Combat/movement is slightly faster than Dark Souls and little less meaty feeling as a result, but its not too different - just enough to where I have to relearn the timing and backstabs and whatnot.

Love the art style so far. Very Souls and possibly even darker and more sinister than DaS, which is awesome. Its a shame this is a PS3 only game because a PC port would have really done it justice. The art style is its only saving grace visually. Framerate is killing me, but I think I'm gradually adjusting to it. And the tearing is god awful.

Otherwise definitely looking forward to playing more. Having a whole new Souls experience to get through is pretty exciting. :)

Shengar

I wanted to know why they are sucky. Bosses are like, the thing I like the most about games.
They just boring for most of the part. Maybe it because I employ ranged attack for the first boss which is immobile, while the second boss is slow and cumbersome to move.
Oh that reminds me, another minor little nitpick - the boss music in Demon's is totally weak compared to the more fully orchestrated pieces in Dark.

Overall they are weaker, but to point out certain track, I don't think there is yet anything from DaS to beat 5-3 music.
DaS final boss track and Sif come close, but not quite there yet.

Dr. Buni

Oh that reminds me, another minor little nitpick - the boss music in Demon's is totally weak compared to the more fully orchestrated pieces in Dark.
Then Dark's music must be truly incredible, because so far I am loving the music in Demon's Souls. Armor Spider and Fool's Idol's music themes are amazing. Tower Knight's is great too.
They just boring for most of the part. Maybe it because I employ ranged attack for the first boss which is immobile, while the second boss is slow and cumbersome to move.
Speaking of that, Armor Spider was big joke since she (he?) can't hit the character in a certain spot. I kept spamming soul ray until she died. Next time I play I will try to melee her.

Sullichin

Overall they are weaker, but to point out certain track, I don't think there is yet anything from DaS to beat 5-3 music.
DaS final boss track and Sif come close, but not quite there yet.

I don't even remember which one is dirty colossus and which one is leechmonger, they're both just dumb blob looking things. DeS has some dull bosses mixed in with the better ones. I think Dark Souls bosses are much better and more challenging overall.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I generally prefer the music in Dark too, but the song to Demon's Souls's "evil" ending is probably the best overall. So haunting and beautiful and awesome.

Shengar

Then Dark's music must be truly incredible, because so far I am loving the music in Demon's Souls. Armor Spider and Fool's Idol's music themes are amazing. Tower Knight's is great too.

Speaking of that, Armor Spider was big joke since she (he?) can't hit the character in a certain spot. I kept spamming soul ray until she died. Next time I play I will try to melee her.
Who couldn't love Tower Knight/Penetrator track?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zihSkliPxxA
I don't even remember which one is dirty colossus and which one is leechmonger, they're both just dumb blob looking things. DeS has some dull bosses mixed in with the better ones. I think Dark Souls bosses are much better and more challenging overall.
I agree wholeheartdly that in term of boss battle design, DeS is far inferior compared to the variety we have in DaS. Miyazaki seems to know that particular flaw in DeS, and vastly improved it with DaS. But for me I can somewhat tolerate it since DeS came before DaS, and have to design the boss battle from scratch. Also Miyazaki seems to focus more on the atmosphere in DeS while later in DaS he noticably put focus on combat.

cj_iwakura

I generally prefer the music in Dark too, but the song to Demon's Souls's "evil" ending is probably the best overall. So haunting and beautiful and awesome.

I think the Demon's souls music nails oppressiveness more, especially the 'ah ah ah AH' stuff with Tower Knight. That's just perfect timing, because in that moment you're like 'oh my god I have to fight that?!'.

Seems ok (I think?) but your equipment is probably more important than your level. What are you using?
The first stages of a world always have the weakest enemies too.

I'm using the armor and sword that comes with the Knight class. Only thing I've upgraded is the sword. Saving shards for a better armor set if there is one.

Tower of Latria has generally very weak enemies. 3-2 has easier enemies than 3-1 for what it is worth it.

Try World 4-1 for a difference.

Thanks, I'll try that after 3-2.

Edit - I'm getting my ass handed to me by the Maneater Boss. Just when I thought I was making progress, a second one appeared. Fuck!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm using the armor and sword that comes with the Knight class. Only thing I've upgraded is the sword. Saving shards for a better armor set if there is one.
You can't upgrade armour in Demon's Souls.

Edit - I'm getting my ass handed to me by the Maneater Boss. Just when I thought I was making progress, a second one appeared. Fuck!
The Real Demon's Souls Starts Here. :D

original.png

Deimo5

Maneater was the hardest boss for me during my first playthrough.
Nigh unblockable charge attacks, easy to fall off the edge, supercharged form if you don't interrupt it, homing ranged magic attack...and that's all before the second one arrives.
Then you might have to worry about one flying away into the darkness and losing track of it, hoping it doesn't come back and pounce on you unawares. The Dragon Longsword from 2-2 definitely helps, and using the central brazier to block their path of course.
Kinda glad they toned it down with the Bell Gargoyles the second time around.

After failing to beat the Maneters, I decided to try 4-1 to level up and for a change of pace. Wasn't really planning on getting through most of the level, but I made it to the boss, which killed me in two hits. I didn't even see where the boss is or what it looks like. So basically no progress in the last 3 days, other than getting familiar with 3-2 and 4-1.

Deimo5

After failing to beat the Maneters, I decided to try 4-1 to level up and for a change of pace. Wasn't really planning on getting through most of the level, but I made it to the boss, which killed me in two hits. I didn't even see where the boss is or what it looks like. So basically no progress in the last 3 days, other than getting familiar with 3-2 and 4-1.

Got you with it's tongue attack I guess? It is pretty easy once you are in melee range and you find out where to hit him. Just run downstairs quick as you can.
There is an item in the level that shows you a picture of him too, you might have picked it up.

Soriku

I know that feel.

Actually if you were able to make it to the boss in 4-1, that's progress enough already. The boss can be confusing if you go into it blindly. All you have to do is get down really quick and then attack its noticeable weak spot. The boss is easy to dodge so he's not too bad.

Dr. Buni

Just beat 4-1 and the Adjudicator. That boss has some fucked up design. It is like a Demon's Souls version of Lickitung. Loved it.

Edit: Is the Meat Cleaver weapon worth using?

mellow

Just beat 4-1 and the Adjudicator. That boss has some fucked up design. It is like a Demon's Souls version of Lickitung. Loved it.

Edit: Is the Meat Cleaver weapon worth using?

depends on stats, It's one of the best if not the best weapon for high str & dex builds iirc

Day 4. Still can't beat Maneater. Losing hope...

You can cheese the first one before you enter the fog gate with a bow if you're having that much trouble, leaving you with just the one to finish off. Takes a lot of arrows. Also fire spells are super effective. These guys are definitely a pain compared to most bosses in the game.

Dr. Buni

depends on stats, It's one of the best if not the best weapon for high str & dex builds iirc
I see. My char is big on intelligence, strength, endurance and little bit of magic, so I guess I shouldn't pick the Meat Cleaver.

On a random note, I am really not the biggest fan of the 4-2 level.

Day 4. Still can't beat Maneater. Losing hope...

They are totally doable in a fair, no-cheating, no-central brazier fight. Mano-a-mano melee them to death on the bridge for the best "I AM THE BOSS!" feeling. Been there done that after being humiliated by them a couple of times.

Now, if you have problems with Maneaters and do not want to cheat:

- use the central brazier. Hide behind it. Run around it. Always keep one of them on the other side of the brazier and attack only after they attack and miss. Just one jab!!! and run the fuck behind the brazier again. Rinse and repeat for 20 minutes. DON'T charge in when one of them has only 1% of life left for that quick kill. It can cost your life.

As for 4-1 Boss: I died almost the same way during my first encounter with him! I entered the boss room and umm... nice music. Then a pink tentacle (?) swiped me to death in two blows. I was SURE this boss is an Octopuss back then. Boy, was I surprised later on.

He can be killed with a ranged weapon or Soul Arrow from the starting point (above) or meleed to death down below.

So I just started Demon's Souls yesterday (first playthrough) as the Royalty class - I read this is a good starting class. I mean, I've beaten Dark Souls, so I know the general feel of the game already and how it will be, but.. any tips? I've beaten 1-1 and 1-2 so far. And I went into 4-1 and picked up the Crescent Falchion +1 (something I read was also a wise thing to do for my class). It does seem quite powerful for where I am right now. Anyways, I haven't really read anything else online and probably won't go looking around online too much as I feel like part of the fun in these games is not knowing what to expect next. :) But... I would like some feedback on how to use my souls to level up as Royalty - I use magic quite often (as it's easier and more convenient to use in this game than in Dark Souls). So far, I've been putting most of my souls into more health and more powerful magic with a few here and there for Stamina increases. Will this be viable for PVE? Is there a point in which I should stop putting points into Magic?

Thanks for any help. :)

Shengar

I suggest you to put a decent amount of strength or dexterity (whatever you weapon of choice is) so you can dealt decent physical damage. 5-3 boss, if you fight them as it should, is highly resistant to magic.

None I think. 2-2 boss is very agile and will be hard for you to hit him with magic, but he's susceptible to it, so your Crescent Falchion will do just fine.

Gotcha, well that's good then. :) Thank a lot for the advice! I thought I should finally play Demon's Souls while waiting for Dark Souls 2. Having a good time so far, and some of the changes Dark Soul made are interesting (like Demon's Souls has a completely different item/health system where you can stockpile a lot of healing items).

Shengar

The biggest change must be inventory weight. Now you must actually manage your inventory, what to bring, what to wear, et cetera. Personally I think it is a good thing, adding a lot to the atmosphere of being hub world and the existence of the Nexus as a safe, soothing place. It's the line of thinking "Should I bring a lot of arrow? Or should I emptied my bag so I can safely bring loot along the way?" that make DeS substansially different than DaS. In a way, this affect heavily on the multiplayer too. It kinda bummer in DaS where you can change your equipment to literary everything mid battle provided your finger have the agility to do it.

The biggest change must be inventory weight. Now you must actually manage your inventory, what to bring, what to wear, et cetera. Personally I think it is a good thing, adding a lot to the atmosphere of being hub world and the existence of the Nexus as a safe, soothing place. It's the line of thinking "Should I bring a lot of arrow? Or should I emptied my bag so I can safely bring loot along the way?" that make DeS substansially different than DaS. In a way, this affect heavily on the multiplayer too. It kinda bummer in DaS where you can change your equipment to literary everything mid battle provided your finger have the agility to do it.

It also means you are punished for surviving and exploring a whole level in one try if there are several weapons and armor sets to find, as you will be immediately overburdened when picking them up, and if you leave the level, they (or any item you drop to make room) will be gone forever.

Top Bottom