• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

2AdEPT

thanks for all these tips, kinda wanna try and do it with invasions, instead of exploiting the save system, although i might resort to this if i all i do is die on invaders for days on end

thanks for letting me know about locations for getting invaded, btw how far from the archstone do you have to be to get invaded or does that not matter?

You can get invaded almost immediately past the archstones..try hotkeying your black or blue eye stone and if it lights up you are good to go, if not you are out of range of online.

Not sure there are as many cheap tactics in Demon's than there is for Dark to get a win at all costs invading, (the dragonslayer greatbow in sens perched up high comes to mind LOL)...Hmmm, but Firestorm or wrath of GOd near a ledge is usually a good bet. I prefer a good duel, but if you are not doing well against the twinked vets out there, a little FS or WOG is excusable. Needs to be helped by high levels in faith or magic respectively though. Greatsword will knock guys back off ledges as well if you are not a magic/faith user. If you know their spawn point, you can gank them in the back before they get a chance to fully eneter the world. Unfortunately if you hire help, you still have to be the one to do the deed to get character tendency. Invader ganking/farming usually occurs most frequently in 4-2. You can do it as a phantom as well, but then have to share kills with your host.

You can get invaded almost immediately past the archstones..try hotkeying your black or blue eye stone and if it lights up you are good to go, if not you are out of range of online.

Not sure there are as many cheap tactics in Demon's than there is for Dark to get a win at all costs invading, (the dragonslayer greatbow in sens perched up high comes to mind LOL)...Hmmm, but Firestorm or wrath of GOd near a ledge is usually a good bet. I prefer a good duel, but if you are not doing well against the twinked vets out there, a little FS or WOG is excusable. Needs to be helped by high levels in faith or magic respectively though. Greatsword will knock guys back off ledges as well if you are not a magic/faith user. If you know their spawn point, you can gank them in the back before they get a chance to fully eneter the world. Unfortunately if you hire help, you still have to be the one to do the deed to get character tendency. Invader ganking/farming usually occurs most frequently in 4-2. You can do it as a phantom as well, but then have to share kills with your host.

yeah i'd certainly prefer a good old duel myself, but yeah there is still some occasional cheapness, lots of babys nail and scraping spears in my experience but also few people turning up just ready for a ruck, scraping spear is obviously not that vicious in terms of killing me, but its a bit of an annoyance having to repair your equipment win or lose, but luckily i'm pretty agile, got relatively high strength and high dex, using quality uchigatana + 5 and have light armour, so gotta just keep nimble i guess

dragonslayer bow in sens sounds horrific btw

2AdEPT

yeah i'd certainly prefer a good old duel myself, but yeah there is still some occasional cheapness, lots of babys nail and scraping spears in my experience but also few people turning up just ready for a ruck, scraping spear is obviously not that vicious in terms of killing me, but its a bit of an annoyance having to repair your equipment win or lose, but luckily i'm pretty agile, got relatively high strength and high dex, using quality uchigatana + 5 and have light armour, so gotta just keep nimble i guess

dragonslayer bow in sens sounds horrific btw

Haha,,,yeah best one evver is the suicide unibomber...uses Karmic Jutice to blow up on people....he dies, but kills most with the justice and still gets souls....cant do it in Demons though. Here is guy using it and yet he found a way to live...even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&feature=iv&src_vid=o8HlFkLIbWo&v=OER9mjKnwmQ

Krakn3Dfx

I accidentally popped the Red Hot Demon's Soul trying to give it to Ed and ended up just getting souls from it. I'm assuming at this point I'm cut off from most of the higher end weapons he can forge?

I'm pretty close to the end of the game at this point, I'm assuming it'll drop again in NG+?

Randam

I accidentally popped the Red Hot Demon's Soul trying to give it to Ed and ended up just getting souls from it. I'm assuming at this point I'm cut off from most of the higher end weapons he can forge?

I'm pretty close to the end of the game at this point, I'm assuming it'll drop again in NG+?

you are right.. with everything.

nexttime just talk to him a few times and dont try to "use" the soul on him.

Krakn3Dfx

you are right.. with everything.

nexttime just talk to him a few times and dont try to "use" the soul on him.

tumblr_l7ktkvZ3qW1qa2q59o1_400.gif

That's what I figured.

TraBuch

Banned
Oh my fucking God. I actually have to equip the weapons to get credit for them for the Soldier's Trophy? Goddammit. I crafted a Northern Regalia thinking I would finally get the trophy, but I never actually equipped Demondrandt or Souldbrandt. I'm unbelievably annoyed right now.

Oh my fucking God. I actually have to equip the weapons to get credit for them for the Soldier's Trophy? Goddammit. I crafted a Northern Regalia thinking I would finally get the trophy, but I never actually equipped Demondrandt or Souldbrandt. I'm unbelievably annoyed right now.

The weapon only has to hit your inventory to count, you don't have to equip it. You must be missing some other weapon.

TraBuch

Banned
Disregard my meltdown. The trophy notification apparently popped while I was on my computer crying. Now I feel like a bigger idiot than I did when I thought I needed to equip everything.

Ostinatto

i'm going for a pre-DSII run, just for a warm up.

which two handed weapon has the best dps? with magic properties maybe?

i want to go naked, two handed only.

Dunbar

Is there any sort of spoiler-free list of tips or advice for people about to start for the first time? I'd like to figure out as much as possible for myself, but it sounds like there are some things design-wise you just couldn't get unless someone told you. Also, I'm only going to play the game once, so anything I'd only pick up for use in a second playthrough isn't going to do me any good.

Randam

I would say you dont need a list.

when leveling concentrate on vitality, endurance and then str or dex and int or faith.

you can go str only.
str and dex for quality weapons.

str/dex and faith
str/dex and int.

magic is pretty strong.
faith(miracles) can help you but there is only one offensiv miracle and it sucks imo.
but second chance is nice. ^^

just dont level str, dex, faith and int.
try to concentrate on 2.
well 3, because you need int for more Magic memory slots and more MP when using magic or miracles.

luck isnt necessary imo.

and try not to die to often in body form. makes the game harder. ;)

other than that you should be able to beat it without a guide.
there isnt that much to figure out.
dark souls has more things.

but if you need help, you could post here and we give you a spoiler free hint.

Is there any sort of spoiler-free list of tips or advice for people about to start for the first time? I'd like to figure out as much as possible for myself, but it sounds like there are some things design-wise you just couldn't get unless someone told you. Also, I'm only going to play the game once, so anything I'd only pick up for use in a second playthrough isn't going to do me any good.

Don't concentrate on what you don't know, concentrate on what you do know. Also like the man above said, min-max and stick with what you pick.

Also: beware when you hear bells, that troll is bigger than you think, always remember that you drop souls BUT keep items upon death, take enemies on one at a time if possible, and have fun!

i beat this game for the first time recently and the best advice i can give to you is just enjoy it really, don't worry about stuff too much, if anything is worth discovering you will discover it naturally as you play and it is much more rewarding than seeing it on the internet

general tips i found that helped me first time through,

-every time you defeat a boss kill yourself in the nexus, prevents invasion, obviously if you want invasions then don't do this, but i feel by doing the above it means you can tackle that part of the game when you feel ready

-cling ring is your friend in soul form

-don't worry too much about armour, its mostly junk, your stats are much more important, pick things you like the look of

-don't get too disheartened when an area is kicking your ass, your either not ready for it and therefore can go somewhere else or its time for a break from the game, the game is at its worst when irritation and fatigue is kicking in, you get worse, you fail more you become more irritated, and repeat

-could do more but will keep brief as don't want to bombard you and i am sure you can come here and ask questions if/when you feel you need to, take everybody's advice with a pinch of salt, what works for them will not necessarily work for you, absorb the information but don't follow blindly, i found much of demon's souls was discovering how i could play the game, how i learnt from my mistakes and also what things i could do to aid my play style, the beauty of this game is how open it is in terms of how you can tackle it, so find what is good for you not for someone else

-enjoy it, its really not as hard as the world suggests, its not easy though either, you just need your wits about you

'you have a heart of gold, don't let them take it from you'

Socreges

Banned
New player here...

Do you guys recommend I spend my souls as soon as I have enough for an upgrade or valuable weapon? Or are they worth hoarding for key items? I've got 10,000 right now and have only spent 1400 on a couple vit/end upgrades so far. Otherwise I'm reluctant to spend.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In Dark Souls, souls are better spent on titanite and upgrades early on, but in Demon's, I find it's generally better spent on levels since upgrades are cheap and ore more plentiful as loot/drops.

Socreges

Banned
In Dark Souls, souls are better spent on titanite and upgrades early on, but in Demon's, I find it's generally better spent on levels since upgrades are cheap and ore more plentiful as loot/drops.
Not sure I follow since you say upgrades twice... So I should use souls to level up my attributes but not spend souls on weapon upgrades since the necessary stuff (eg, ore) is plentiful?

Curufinwe

Use your regular souls to level up whenever you have enough. There's no point going into a new area with 10K souls; you could easily lose all of them if you die twice.

Socreges

Banned
Use your regular souls to level up whenever you have enough. There's no point going into a new area with 10K souls; you could easily lose all of them if you die twice.
Yeah, I just realized this as I continued playing on. Died in 2-1 (?) on the other side of a doorway with the fat, laughing enemy who throws flames and has a rapier (name?). Got the souls back, but fuck me that was almost a disaster. As much as I enjoyed the pressure, I won't put myself in that situation again.

Started playing this again yesterday. Left off at SL 60. Took out Leechmonger and the Dragon God effortlessly. Went onto 1-4, had an awesome PvP experience where the guy didn't want to fight at all. He helped me grab some items and helped with enemies.

Forgot how tight Demon's feels. So damned good.

Curufinwe

I think it's just Fat Official, and those guys really suck unless you can kill them from a distance.

You will get quite a lot of basic materials early on so there's no harm in using them to upgrade the weapons you are using if you like those weapons

Socreges

Banned
I think it's just Fat Official, and those guys really suck unless you can kill them from a distance.

You will get quite a lot of basic materials early on so there's no harm in using them to upgrade the weapons you are using if you like those weapons
Fat Official seems about right. Cool enemy design.

Now that I understand his pattern, I can kill him with my pickaxe. I definitely need to get some bolts for my crossbow, though.

I won't put myself in that situation again.

Haha, I said that, too! :)

Good luck with that...the game is very well designed to force you to repeatedly make tough choices about pushing forward or turning back.

Furthermore, even a situation you've won once...isn't always going to be a situation you win the second time you encounter it.

I've completed the first levels. 1-1 through 5-1.

Some of my stupidity still haunts me! But the moments where I just consistently guessed correctly when to be cautious...and when to be bold...gave this game an amazing feeling!

Proudest moment: making it to the sub-boss in 3-1 unaided (and in body form) first time through. Took me a couple nights...so slow and so much thinking! Kind of unforgettable mood and atmosphere in
Latria
...and then, of course, I died.

Most charming moment: Discovering
Sparkly
. Was kind of a FFIX type experience!

Most Batshit crazy moment: figuring out how to get help to fight the boss in 4-1 and immediately getting invaded after I had summoned two other players. It all happened so fast. Poor guy.

Question: any advice on how to make the rest of the game maximum fun for a first playthrough? Should I summon help more or go it alone as I have been mostly? Should I use the
Demonbrandt I picked up?
I could also hang out and help others...is that for later?

My inclination is to just play the rest of the game blind to enjoy the environment and story and let it all happen as it may. Still plenty of good hints and blood stains to guide me.

still going through again trying to clean up before dark souls 2, which is now dangerously close, tomorrow in fact for me living in the uk

spent nearly two weeks looking for invasions to up my character tendency and get friends ring

and equal time farming for bladestone

sadly i have found no chunks or pure bladestone to finish off my uchigatana on new game plus plus now

and in two weeks have only been invaded once :(

can anyone out there help with the the wonderful gift that is bladestone or the friends ring

on eu servers, around level 150

obviously willing to trade if anybody out there needs anything i can provide, got pretty much everything else other than two or three weapons and aforementioned items

thanks

oracrest

No biggie though. The game is still plenty beatable using just the basic upgrades.

Dekanach

I spended eight hours with no results for pure bladestone... dammit it, it's just too much effort to get it. I have PBWT, raised my luck to 22, I have the large sword of searching, bla, bla, bla, and nothing :'(

Socreges

Banned
Haha, I said that, too! :)

Good luck with that...the game is very well designed to force you to repeatedly make tough choices about pushing forward or turning back.

Furthermore, even a situation you've won once...isn't always going to be a situation you win the second time you encounter it.
True. Was more meaning that I wouldn't go deep into a level with that many souls again. Basically all the souls I'd earned up to that point. Went back and spent loads on attributes.

How do I refill my MP? Or whichever one is the blue bar. I'm guessing it refills when I return to the nexus, but otherwise is it hard to acquire the refill items?

How do I refill my MP? Or whichever one is the blue bar. I'm guessing it refills when I return to the nexus, but otherwise is it hard to acquire the refill items?

Spice. Sold in Nexus and at a good price by a
singing
vendor hidden in a level (who is not that hard to figure out how to return to, once you've done it once.)

Also Crescent weapons and some rings will slowly regen your MP when equipped. (Knowing when to use them in combo mid-level can really save you spice, but if you rely on the Thieves ring / Cling ring combo for HP / stealth, it's important to remember to reequip those back or you can have rude surprises of all sorts.)

That's all I've found so far.

Socreges

Banned
Thanks!

Really struggling to find time to play Demon's. And I've got Dark on my backlog, plus DS2 once both are done. At this rate I'll finish the series by the time DS3 is out.

Kweh

I am struggling to get PWWT. I have just started NG+ and noticed all my world tendencies have remained the same, so some are in black.

I did see on Twitch a guy reset his PS3 clock to the Valentines event that gives PWWT, but never got to see if it worked. Does anyone know if that's possible?

2-2 chasing a Crystal Gecko on a narrow walkway and accidentally hit an NPC (
filthy old man
) and it now appears that he is enraged with me, I guess, for the rest of the game?

Yeah, I could have used a guide or been more careful...but, seriously, I've BEEN careful. I don't know how much more cautious I can be and still functionally play the game!

Don't go chasing Geckos, I guess...

Soulhouf

2-2 chasing a Crystal Gecko on a narrow walkway and accidentally hit an NPC (
filthy old man
) and it now appears that he is enraged with me, I guess, for the rest of the game?

Yeah, I could have used a guide or been more careful...but, seriously, I've BEEN careful. I don't know how much more cautious I can be and still functionally play the game!

Don't go chasing Geckos, I guess...

It's probably the NPC I accidentally killed the most in my all playthroughs. He is hard to see and I always forget he is sitting there until I hit him.
No big deal though, he isn't important...

Parsnip

Congrats. I remember farming that thing for like...5 hours straight. Not the longest stretch, but annoying nonetheless.
Thanks.

I did some short farming session days prior, but today I loaded up some podcasts and farmed away for about 4 hours before it popped.

Levito

Banned
So I'm starting this game up again for the first time in years, rolling as a Temple Knight, would you all recommend a specific build for that class?

Dunbar

Well, it took me 4 hours, but I finally beat the first boss and started to get new soul levels. Now to go back in that stage and try to figure out how to beat the knight with the red eyes and the black axe wielding maniac. Those guys were kicking my ass.

Booshka

So I'm starting this game up again for the first time in years, rolling as a Temple Knight, would you all recommend a specific build for that class?

Temple Knight is one of the best Starting Classes in the game, along with Royalty, they are really the only two starting classes you should bother with.

For Temple Knight, they are suited best for STR, Quality, Dex, and Faith.

Socreges

Banned
Haven't found the game unreasonably hard.... until now. Fuck that Armored Spider boss (2-1). Killed me within a minute. I'll give it another shot right now, but am tempted to consult a guide.

Socreges

Banned
How come both STR and DEX boosts would do nothing for my Attack Power right now? They're levelled to 17 and 14 respectively. Is it scaled in such a way to have me start levelling Magic, Faith or Intelligence instead? I just thought I'd wait until I got a bit further.

Consulted the Wiki but couldn't find an answer

Top Bottom