• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Dr. Buni

The third levels in each world are always very easy, sadly. Though they are also quite awesome in their own way, especially 4-3 and 5-3.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for dealing with the Reapers? My magic is relatively weak against them.

Booshka

Any tips for dealing with the Reapers? My magic is relatively weak against them.

The same thing that you use to deal with just about everything else in Demon's Souls, thief ring and backstabs. Unlock, run around to their back then quickly pivot your character to their back and press R1. You can rush through 90% of the mobs in Demon's doing this.

Dr. Buni

Someone suggested using arrows on the first Reaper. The other ones you can deal easily with melee attacks, just make sure to roll through their Soul Ray attack, if you don't have Garl Vinland's shield with you. I personally like to kill the first one with Fire Spray, it is very effective on them, unlike Soul Ray, which barely scratch the enemy.

Veeery slowly getting into this game, have played more over the last couple of days than the last couple of years! have done 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 and currently working my way through 5-1... Mainly melee but I did pick up soul ray for an easier time in some parts (I'm looking at you, adjudicator!). Have gotten to the boss of 5-1 but died, does anyone have suggestions for dealing with the rats and the red orbs that sprout the ticks? my first time past them was ok with soul ray but I have run out of spice, is there any other way to get them down without succumbing to both poison and plague? Not to mention that the size of the rats makes them super annoying to hit with melee >_<

Sullichin

Veeery slowly getting into this game, have played more over the last couple of days than the last couple of years! have done 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 and currently working my way through 5-1... Mainly melee but I did pick up soul ray for an easier time in some parts (I'm looking at you, adjudicator!). Have gotten to the boss of 5-1 but died, does anyone have suggestions for dealing with the rats and the red orbs that sprout the ticks? my first time past them was ok with soul ray but I have run out of spice, is there any other way to get them down without succumbing to both poison and plague? Not to mention that the size of the rats makes them super annoying to hit with melee >_<

Head back to 3-1 and stock up on spices. Soul ray is a pretty safe way of dealing with the rats. Or arrows.

I wish there was some way to change the World Tendency with souls or something a little more controllable. I killed the boss in 5-3 and died in human form before reaching the Archstone because it's in a terrible place. Now I can't finish the Garl line until there is a server event I guess.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I wish there was some way to change the World Tendency with souls or something a little more controllable. I killed the boss in 5-3 and died in human form before reaching the Archstone because it's in a terrible place. Now I can't finish the Garl line until there is a server event I guess.
That's why you should always be in soul form... ;) You can try NG+ too I guess.

That's why you should always be in soul form... ;) You can try NG+ too I guess.

He was body form after defeating the boss... but died before getting to the archstone. :D

Similar thing happened to me after defeating Fool's Idol. An invader bull rushed me off the steps before I could get to the 5-2 archstone, ruining my world tendency.

Levyne

Banned
I remember having Pure White tendency and after killing the Maiden archdemon, then fell into the plague baby swamp. Had to get the PWWT events on my next playthrough.

Is the Moonlight Sword worth the points if have to put into Faith? I'm level 47 and my stats are kind of all over the place but would like to start narrowing down a build.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I just finished the game.

Fire Spray worked a charm in 4-2. I also used it to cheaply kill Garl Vinland. I spent most of my time in 5-2 running through the swamp avoiding the giant enemies.

It's a super impressive game. That being said, the only areas I really loved were all of World 1, 4-1 and maaaaybe bits of The Tower of Latria.

It boggles my mind, in hindsight. Being able to make this game is impressive enough, but to then have the talent to make fundamental design changes in Dark Souls that, for my money, improve the game in most ways is just incredible.

Is the Moonlight Sword worth the points if have to put into Faith? I'm level 47 and my stats are kind of all over the place but would like to start narrowing down a build.

The moonlight sword won't hit as hard as something such as a blessed great axe or blessed mirdan hammer (what I use for my faith based build) as the moonlight sword only does magic damage. The moonlight sword is unblockable though so for an area like boletarian palace where there are red eye and blue eye knights everywhere, it can be pretty effective.

The moonlight sword won't hit as hard as something such as a blessed great axe or blessed mirdan hammer (what I use for my faith based build) as the moonlight sword only does magic damage. The moonlight sword is unblockable though so for an area like boletarian palace where there are red eye and blue eye knights everywhere, it can be pretty effective.
Hm, maybe i'll stick with my dragon longsword then.

Garland7G

So I got a PS3 recently and this was the 1st game I grabbed since I loved Dark Souls so much. While the game seems similar enough (I beat Dark souls twice) some things confuse me. So if anyone could answer these I'd appreciate it.

1. I always see messages that say 'in trouble, please recommend this message' whats that about?

2. I was in world 4-1? (the prison lvl) and got up to these steps with an archer guarding them. He was red and looked like an invader (in dark souls they looked like this) so I assumed he was another player. He moved almost like a player as well but I never got an invasion message. A few hours later I tried again and he was still there so he's either not a player or the ultimate troll.

3. I found a blacksmith but he doesn't upgrade armor, anywhere to do this? I'm only 1-1 in all the worlds except the 1st one where I got to 1-2.

4. I really want a bow! I heard there is a vendor at the storm shrine which sells one. Is he very deep into the level? Those skele? guys that roll are tough lol. I usually make it around to the archer on the steps before dying ;)

5. I won't even ask about tendencies yet. Though I've seen a few signs that mention white tend or something.

The main problem I have with the game right now is getting used to no bonfires. It sux starting from the beginning after each death, but I'll get over it ;)

Edit: any spoiler free tips welcome!

1. I always see messages that say 'in trouble, please recommend this message' whats that about?
Whenever a message is recommended, the author's health is fully restored.
2. I was in world 4-1? (the prison lvl) and got up to these steps with an archer guarding them. He was red and looked like an invader (in dark souls they looked like this) so I assumed he was another player. He moved almost like a player as well but I never got an invasion message. A few hours later I tried again and he was still there so he's either not a player or the ultimate troll.
3-1, Tower of Latria; in Demon's Souls there are NPC Black Phantoms, some respawn, some don't.
3. I found a blacksmith but he doesn't upgrade armor, anywhere to do this? I'm only 1-1 in all the worlds except the 1st one where I got to 1-2.
Armor cannot be upgraded in Demon's Souls.
4. I really want a bow! I heard there is a vendor at the storm shrine which sells one. Is he very deep into the level? Those skele? guys that roll are tough lol. I usually make it around to the archer on the steps before dying ;)
He's not far into the level.

Garland7G

Thx for the quick reply, sucks about armor not being upgradable. What armor would you suggest for a dex (sword/bow) build? I have on some black leather stuff I found.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He was body form after defeating the boss... but died before getting to the archstone. :D

Similar thing happened to me after defeating Fool's Idol. An invader bull rushed me off the steps before I could get to the 5-2 archstone, ruining my world tendency.
Oh right, forgot you automatically revive. Haha, that sucks. You mean 3-2 though, right?

Thx for the quick reply, sucks about armor not being upgradable. What armor would you suggest for a dex (sword/bow) build? I have on some black leather stuff I found.
Demon's Souls armours are irrelevant. Wear whatever you think looks good that still allows you to remain under 50% of your equip burden. Black leather looks great on male characters (but kinda lame on females, I prefer the Binded set for them).

Yuripaw

Banned
Home stretch >_< Gotta take a break cuz I've been at it for a while. I've beaten every stage except 1-4. Tried a few times, but been dying on those guys in the stairway. I made it to the dragon once, not sure how to approach cuz I want the loot he's throwing his flames at, lol

Deimo5

Home stretch >_< Gotta take a break cuz I've been at it for a while. I've beaten every stage except 1-4. Tried a few times, but been dying on those guys in the stairway. I made it to the dragon once, not sure how to approach cuz I want the loot he's throwing his flames at, lol

Bring a bow, lots of arrows and activate hyper mode if you can. It will fly away at around half health I think.

You mean the blue dragon? If you have some dexterity and a sticky compound bow. You can shoot it until dies on the last staircase it guards or do what I do. Make a run for it to the staircase LOL. Must be under 50% encumbrance. Once you done that suicide run, you can shoot it from underneath or just keep going.

Shengar

Have you rescued Biorr? Did you defeated the Penetrator normally without any awesome badass old man clad in armor come into the fray?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Biorr makes the blue dragon more trouble than not, IMO. When you're below the dragon's head you can spam projectiles without issue but when Biorr is there, it keeps moving its head to attack him and makes the fight longer.

Dr. Buni

Just run and stay below the Blue Dragon and then shoot arrows. Make sure to bring kunais, to poison the dragon, making the boring "battle" WAY faster.

Simzyy

First time playing this game and I just beat Maneater (5th try). My hands are still shaking. What a god damn great game this is.

Yuripaw

Banned
Thank you guys for the advice on how to deal with the dragon...but now I'm stuck with...well the final boss >_<

I dunno, I know this game is hard, but from the way I'm playing right now, I feel like I'm doing the best I can. I feel like I must have been playing this game by some how just getting through it through brute force and skill..but this final boss just seems like I'm not doing enough damage to him, and not protected enough. I have actually looked online the demon's souls wiki page, and it seems like every strategy they mention involves gear I don't even have. I feel like I'm stuck here unless I decide to do stupid grinding for gear I don't have.

Shengar

Biorr makes the blue dragon more trouble than not, IMO. When you're below the dragon's head you can spam projectiles without issue but when Biorr is there, it keeps moving its head to attack him and makes the fight longer.

I know but Biorr is still awesome :(
It's unfair that he ended up being target practice for the dragons :(

Dr. Buni

Thank you guys for the advice on how to deal with the dragon...but now I'm stuck with...well the final boss >_<

I dunno, I know this game is hard, but from the way I'm playing right now, I feel like I'm doing the best I can. I feel like I must have been playing this game by some how just getting through it through brute force and skill..but this final boss just seems like I'm not doing enough damage to him, and not protected enough. I have actually looked online the demon's souls wiki page, and it seems like every strategy they mention involves gear I don't even have. I feel like I'm stuck here unless I decide to do stupid grinding for gear I don't have.
Then try using spells to power up your attacks (Enchant, Light or Cursed Weapon) and to protect you (Warding). You won't need to grind to have these skills, unless your character doesn't have at least three slots for magic. To be honest, I didn't find Allant to be that hard (Maneater gave me much more trouble), although I think it must be hard to dodge his attacks, if you don't have a lot of experience with similar gameplays (playing Monster Hunter before helped, I guess). Also, you should have the Dark Silver Shield (the one you pick after killing Garl Vinland), equip it.

Yuripaw

Banned
Then try using spells to power up your attacks (Enchant, Light or Cursed Weapon) and to protect you (Warding). You won't need to grind to have these skills, unless your character doesn't have at least three slots for magic. To be honest, I didn't find Allant to be that hard (Maneater gave me much more trouble), although I think it must be hard to dodge his attacks, if you don't have a lot of experience with similar gameplays (playing Monster Hunter before helped, I guess). Also, you should have the Dark Silver Shield (the one you pick after killing Garl Vinland), equip it.

I was actually able to kill that boss without even killing Garl Vinland...

Now beaten 1-2, 2-2 and 5-2. Got myself a meat cleaver, loving it, scales so well with str and dex. One hitting some smaller enemies :D Though I gotta say, though Im enjoying the challenge, and naturally the collecting/upgrading of sweet weapons, why does everyone talk about how great the level design is? I agree for the *-1 levels, but 2-2 and 5-2 were just complete messes. 5-2 was disgusting, slow walk everywhere and poison. The atmosphere was kinda dank and cool but it was essentially a big flat area with a little shanty town just before the boss, the game felt weakest so far to me here. Also fuck the big depraved ones. As for 2-2, better designed by far and maybe after a few more runs i would get the hang of it, but after getting to some tunnels I just kinda stumbled around for a bit until I fell into the worm pit not far from Flamelurker. Didn't feel like I was learning the layout more that it was blind luck (this only really applies to the second half of the level as the first was more structured) Am I missing something? Loved 3-1 and 4-1, Latria's design was masterclass, confusing yet logical when you got it down, but these two feel a little lazy, just to destroy your bearings.

EDIT: Forgot to add, when I started playing I thought the 'shortcuts' mechanic was a brilliant idea, ie, opening the gates in 1-1, starting the elevator in 2-1, unlocking doors in 3-1... does it still happen in the later levels or have i managed to skip merrily by? Would be a shame as when you have already beaten the level but are dying on a boss, doing a level you already know again and again doesn't seem to add much outside of padding, whereas the shortcuts where like 'Ok, you got this far so jump back in here and cut out the unnecessary downtime'

Coldsnap

Picked this game back up after beating it at launch. Can't stop playing it. Beat it with a Dragon Bone Smasher build and now working on a Magic + Crescent Uchi build. Already planning my next Dex Hiltless blade build.

Dragon Sword +5 and Dark Silver Shield.

Run up to their face, block the Soul Ray they cast and take a swing of your DS+5.

Kills them in 2-3 hits even on NG+++. Repeated this method hundreds of times while Soul/ Bladestone grinding.

I faced the same exact block as you. I was doing totally fine the whole game (Maneaters melee, Flamelurker) then the last boss was just unbeatable. I tried my best. I felt I could not be any better. It was the apex of my Demon's Souls skills.

PRESERVE. For sure you have Dragon Sword +5 and Purple Flame Shield? This is enough (a very low end Sword and a Shield you can pick up in 1-1).

For me the turning point was that I stopped rolling out of his lunging attack. I always, ALWAYS fumbled the roll and he would punish me and then soul suck me.

I stopped rolling. I just blocked. He deals magic damage so I would always lose some stamina AND health but hey at least *I* was in control the whole time. Block his attack, attack him once and roll the fuck away (backwards).

That did the trick. Just do the same for 20 minutes. Preserve. Block, jab once, roll away. Repeat till he is dead. Do not try anything fancy because the punishment is severe.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If it weren't for the Rune Shield, I feel my MAG build would have had a much harder time on the False King.

I used a faith build and equipped every health regen item that I could (blessed weapon, adjucator's shield, regenerator's ring) along with casting second chance for tackling false king. It felt a little cheap but it was really effective.

ZenaxPure

Alright, my play through I started of this from a few months ago got sidetracked by close to 200 hours of Dragon's Dogma, but, I finally got back into this earlier in the week. I typically play rogueish characters when given the chance and I've been doing it in this game to great effect, I've had like no trouble getting up to bosses so far, but, when I reach one, about half the time my dagger and bow combo seems pretty shit. Either I can't backstab them or don't get great opportunities to shoot them from ranged (though a few bosses have been complete jokes with a bow I will say, this is more aimed at the ones that haven't).

So, to cut to the point, I'm going with a dex build since if I understand the stat screen thing correctly my dagger scales better with it or something. Anyway, for just dealing direct damage to enemies are there any recommended weapons for a dex build that deal heavy damage without parrying or backstabbing? Maybe bosses aren't supposed to take much damage in general, but, I just feel like my dagger has been pretty useless on every one I've fought so far.

Alright, my play through I started of this from a few months ago got sidetracked by close to 200 hours of Dragon's Dogma, but, I finally got back into this earlier in the week. I typically play rogueish characters when given the chance and I've been doing it in this game to great effect, I've had like no trouble getting up to bosses so far, but, when I reach one, about half the time my dagger and bow combo seems pretty shit. Either I can't backstab them or don't get great opportunities to shoot them from ranged (though a few bosses have been complete jokes with a bow I will say, this is more aimed at the ones that haven't).

So, to cut to the point, I'm going with a dex build since if I understand the stat screen thing correctly my dagger scales better with it or something. Anyway, for just dealing direct damage to enemies are there any recommended weapons for a dex build that deal heavy damage without parrying or backstabbing? Maybe bosses aren't supposed to take much damage in general, but, I just feel like my dagger has been pretty useless on every one I've fought so far.
You have to upgrade your weapon. Since your going dex, I recommend upgrading to sharp upgrade on the Uchigatana. After a few cuts, it bleeds for 30% of their total hp and it can be buff with any enchantment you want. Sharp flamberge is also good, but I forgot whats its moveset.
Its been so long, I kinda forgot the upgrade path. Its either +5 or +0 before going to sharp.

ZenaxPure

You have to upgrade your weapon. Since your going dex, I recommend upgrading to sharp upgrade on the Uchigatana. After a few cuts, it bleeds for 30% of their total hp and it can be buff with any enchantment you want. Sharp flamberge is also good, but I forgot whats its moveset.
Its been so long, I kinda forgot the upgrade path. Its either +5 or +0 before going to sharp.

Cool cool, yeah I have been upgrading my weapons (I had a quality dagger+3 before finding a secret dagger and upgrading it to fatal) but the non-backstab/riposte damage just seemed really bad compared to my bow considering it's far more risky to run up there and slash a few times. That answers my question perfectly though since I found an Uchigatana randomly (forget where) and the one handed attack animation for it seems to cover my biggest weakness with daggers, long reaching slashes from left to right. That is, the only times I really feel like I am in deep shit is when like 3 or 4 enemies surround me at once (particularly in tight corridors which the level I just finished seemed to have a lot of).

I don't actually have the strength to one hand it right now it seems though, lol. Going to have to grind out a few levels I guess.

Finally got into this game after buying it two years ago and giving up on it.

Almost finished up (just have 1-4, 3-2, 3-3, 5-2, 5-3 left)!
I'm really putting off finishing off world 3, I hate that place :\ The mind flayers in 3-1 are pretty much what made me quit the game the first time...

Anyway I'm using a mainly magic build and am wondering what the best weapon would be. Using a crescent falchion +3 atm, with... some shield. I'll use the dark silver shield once I finish off world 5 which I'm doing atm.
Then I've got wooden catalyst and kris blade for when I'm casting.

Would a different weapon with an enchantment be better damage? I bought that light weapon spell.

I've got around 25-30 in both int/magic and I believe 18 strength, 16 faith, and I think 14 dex, whatever I needed for a bow.

ZenaxPure

Spent like an hour upgrading all my stuff and making sure I had a good amount of consumables before going into 2-3, figuring it'd be a crazy level, only for none of it to matter. That "fight" was kind of lame >_>

Did this get posted here already, saw it posted in another DS thread earlier today: http://www.twitch.tv/gibbed

Someone going through the debug menu, lots of cut content and character models. Just saw some guy with a ponytail and monacle, reminded me of Marvelous Chester in a menacing way, and a kid that I presume was going to be the Filthy Woman's son.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I just beat Demon's souls for the first time. I found it pretty damn easy. Took me 31 hours, Dark Souls I have 90 Hours and still going on my first try.

Fantastic game, amazing to see what the PS3 can pull off early in the in its life.

ibpbrwrSbH34s5.bmp

ib03YDcKUw2VHV.bmp

gogosox8

Can anyone give me a hand with Flamelurker? SL21. I have a weird character build and this guys giving me some trouble.

If you have magic, you can cheese him with soul arrow/soul ray. If you have enough str you can use the purple flame shield from 1-1. Sticky white stuff will also help.

Curufinwe

Can anyone give me a hand with Flamelurker? SL21. I have a weird character build and this guys giving me some trouble.

Use the rib bones on the left as a shield to hide behind and do ranged damage, then run to the other side when he gets too close.

Wear the Thief ring and it willl lose track of you until you start hurting him again.

Top Bottom