• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Parsnip

How come both STR and DEX boosts would do nothing for my Attack Power right now? They're levelled to 17 and 14 respectively. Is it scaled in such a way to have me start levelling Magic, Faith or Intelligence instead? I just thought I'd wait until I got a bit further.

Consulted the Wiki but couldn't find an answer

I believe that all depends on the weapon you are using. Maybe you are using a weapon that scales with magic or faith.

Dunbar

So I'm about 4-5 hours into the game and I'm starting to mess with soul leveling and weapon changes/upgrades. Is there some kind of a cheat sheet anywhere you can print out that provides easy reference for all these symbols? Between the weapon attributes, item/armor attributes, and the character status screen, I have no idea what the fuck is going on. All of these symbols look chosen to be the most abstract, obtuse representation they could think of. Messing with my inventory and equipment is a real pain.

Socreges

Banned
So I'm about 4-5 hours into the game and I'm starting to mess with soul leveling and weapon changes/upgrades. Is there some kind of a cheat sheet anywhere you can print out that provides easy reference for all these symbols? Between the weapon attributes, item/armor attributes, and the character status screen, I have no idea what the fuck is going on. All of these symbols look chosen to be the most abstract, obtuse representation they could think of. Messing with my inventory and equipment is a real pain.
I thought they might be stylized Japanese characters. But yeah, agreed. I've taken to ignoring the more complex aspects of the game's economy, probably to my detriment.

And thanks, Parsnip

How come both STR and DEX boosts would do nothing for my Attack Power right now? They're levelled to 17 and 14 respectively. Is it scaled in such a way to have me start levelling Magic, Faith or Intelligence instead? I just thought I'd wait until I got a bit further.

Consulted the Wiki but couldn't find an answer

My take would be the opposite. Pick some stats to leave at a minimal level, pick some to prioritize improving even when the listed boost seems minimal and your character will keep improving in a focused way. (I've chosen melee + magic and am leaving Faith/Dexterity/Luck low as possible to still use weapons I like.)

Then try to carry the lightest possible flexible armaments so you can choose the right weapon/magic/tactic for the opponent and your situation. That's the key.

For the boss in 2-2, I got stuck with very little spice...and I'd planned to use magic. I used soul of ephemeral eyes and converted out of soul into body form...then dropped the cling/theives ring and put on rings targeted at that particular boss and improvised a Plan B.

After my spice ran out I used a special weapon
Demonbrandt
I'd carried along "just in case" to finish him off with melee, while taking advantage of the extra health in body form to withstand its huge attack. Worked.

Hit [] button to cycle the stat screens on the right. The symbols will be next ot the stats.

Randam

So I'm starting this game up again for the first time in years, rolling as a Temple Knight, would you all recommend a specific build for that class?

faith sucks in this game imo.

only 1 offensive spell, which sucks as.

second chance is nice, thats it.

Kjellson

I bought this game a while ago and just started it. I've owned it before bet gave up early as hell, but I'm giving it another shot. Anyway, I'm pretty bad at video games and just wondering which class I should go for? I usually go with the sword and shield guy but there are stuff like Soldier, Knight, Templar Knight so I dunno.

I googled, and a lot of people say Royalty. What does it do?

Leezard

I bought this game a while ago and just started it. I've owned it before bet gave up early as hell, but I'm giving it another shot. Anyway, I'm pretty bad at video games and just wondering which class I should go for? I usually go with the sword and shield guy but there are stuff like Soldier, Knight, Templar Knight so I dunno.

I googled, and a lot of people say Royalty. What does it do?

Royalty starts with a useful spell and a ring that allows you to use magic more often.

Kjellson

Royalty starts with a useful spell and a ring that allows you to use magic more often.
Hmmmm. I'm really not a magic kind of guy.

What is the most recommended if you mostly want to use physical weapons? I've seen Temple Knight, but what is the difference between that and regular knight?

vocab

Hmmmm. I'm really not a magic kind of guy.

What is the most recommended if you mostly want to use physical weapons? I've seen Temple Knight, but what is the difference between that and regular knight?

Temple knight starts out with heal. They are kinda like a paladin, but they have stats that allow them to be the masters of everything easily.. IMO I find them better than the regular knight. They start out with a halberd which isn't the best, but for a starter weapon in 1-1 its really damn good. Temple knight is the class I brought to NG+++++

Royal makes everything easy mode. Soul arrow is an I win button.

Knight is the vanilla ass melee class.

Booshka

are you saying faith is over powered?

Yes, you don't roll faith for the spells, although Second Chance is best spell, you roll faith for the Blessed upgrade path. Regen ring, blessed weapon at +5 with 40-50 faith and the Adjudicator's shield on your back, with Second Chance on, means you almost never die.

Kjellson

Started with Temple Knight after all. Maybe I should have started with Royalty if it's so much easier, but whatever.

So far so good, only died on the boss you're supposed to die on and are already farther than last time. Just wondering some things though, just met a dude that looks like Dhalsim selling stuff, but I can't compare the stats of the weapons with my equipped one. Do you have to look at your stuff in another menu when buying stuff? A bit annoying unless I'm not missing something.

Also, I'm wondering about checkpoints and when you can save. I've heard that this game is pretty cheap with checkpoints, so I'm really afraid to die, but does the game tell you when you reach a checkpoint and do you have to finish a level to save? It's getting late.

Booshka

Started with Temple Knight after all. Maybe I should have started with Royalty if it's so much easier, but whatever.

So far so good, only died on the boss you're supposed to die on and are already farther than last time. Just wondering some things though, just met a dude that looks like Dhalsim selling stuff, but I can't compare the stats of the weapons with my equipped one. Do you have to look at your stuff in another menu when buying stuff? A bit annoying unless I'm not missing something.

Also, I'm wondering about checkpoints and when you can save. I've heard that this game is pretty cheap with checkpoints, so I'm really afraid to die, but does the game tell you when you reach a checkpoint and do you have to finish a level to save? It's getting late.

You can quit the game at any time and it will save your exact progress. You can't pause, but just quit out and you will load back in right where you left off. Only exceptions are bosses, if you quit, you load in front of the fog door, and if there is a phantom in your game, you either have to die or kill/remove them from the game to quit.

Kjellson

You can quit the game at any time and it will save your exact progress. You can't pause, but just quit out and you will load back in right where you left off. Only exceptions are bosses, if you quit, you load in front of the fog door, and if there is a phantom in your game, you either have to die or kill/remove them from the game to quit.
Ah, okay. Thanks!

Just died because of some dragon fire. Started right at the beginning of the level. Sigh...

Socreges

Banned
I'm loving this game...

As much as I'm tempted to ask you guys where I should go next or just search for suggestions, the most satisfying experiences are when you take a risk and go into the unknown. That sensation that 'maybe I'm not supposed to be here yet' and 'oh fuck I can't afford to lose all these souls but I have to keep going' is pretty thrilling as far as games go.

I just actually completed 1-2 without dying (that Tower Knight made it rough) and without knowing that it was 1-2. I'd gone in to 1-1 and ventured past the first boss area, just thinking it was a part I'd neglected... and then it kept going... and I eventually find myself at another boss. Pretty cool experience. I've only beaten 1-1 and 2-1 so far (3-1 spat me out instantly) and am soul level 20, but am not sure if it's about right that I took on 1-2 next. Pretty fluid experience either way.

Socreges

Banned
Ah, okay. Thanks!

Just died because of some dragon fire. Started right at the beginning of the level. Sigh...
That kind of punishment in a game would normally make me quit, but I actually enjoyed a) taking on the same enemies again and seeing how I've improved, and b) the challenge of having to survive so I could at least reach my souls...

Nordicus

I'm loving this game...

I've only beaten 1-1 and 2-1 so far (3-1 spat me out instantly) and am soul level 20, but am not sure if it's about right that I took on 1-2 next. Pretty fluid experience either way.
Yes, 1-2 and 2-1 are usually the levels you want to take on after 1-1 as a new player. The other stages are a bit harsh if you haven't quite "mastered" the combat yet

That kind of punishment in a game would normally make me quit, but I actually enjoyed a) taking on the same enemies again and seeing how I've improved, and b) the challenge of having to survive so I could at least reach my souls...
It's also easier to handle this kinda stuff in a game that's consistently not going easy on you.

Also, the bloodstain mechanic is rather ingenius, because if you last progress wasn't a fluke, and you made it back to recover your souls, it's not like the game slapped you on the face and said "Do it again, stupid" anymore, but rather forced you to grind a bit. Other games would just GAME OVER and not give you squat after you die

Edit: this method doesn't admittedly work as much when we're talking boss battles because the bloodstain is almost always inside the arena, but as far as regular level progression goes, it works

Socreges

Banned
Yes, 1-2 and 2-1 are usually the levels you want to take on after 1-1 as a new player. The other stages are a bit harsh if you haven't quite "mastered" the combat yet

It's also easier to handle this kinda stuff in a game that's consistently not going easy on you.

Also, the bloodstain mechanic is rather ingenius, because if you last progress wasn't a fluke, and you made it back to recover your souls, it's not like the game slapped you on the face and said "Do it again, stupid" anymore, but rather forced you to grind a bit. Other games would just GAME OVER and not give you squat after you die

Edit: this method doesn't admittedly work as much when we're talking boss battles because the bloodstain is almost always inside the arena, but as far as regular level progression goes, it works
Checking out others' bloodstains is brilliant as well. Very good way of foreshadowing imminent danger. So many times I've seen a bloodstain before a dark corridor and known to be more cautious.

As for the levels, I think it may have actually be 4-1 where I went in, saw a message about having to be at soul level 30, proceeded anyway, and was then chased back to the Nexus by a large and scary fast skeleton. I'll check out 3-1 next.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
And the Flamelurker is down! Yay! Great Scott, that basterd was though. So many deaths.

Hadn't tried to beat him in weeks, just went on exploring other areas. To my suprise I defeated him on my first try this time, even though I made a lot of stupid mistakes (and forgot to put on my fire ring). Defeated 2-3 afterwards. Most bosses feel a bit like puzzles in this game but this one actually was one. :p

Cleared all -1's, 1-2 and World 2. Currently exploring 1-3, pretty cool level. I hate those dogs, though. Hated them in Dark Souls, hating them now.

That
lickatung
in 4-1 was pretty awesome.
Cat's Ring status effect image made me giggle.

Man, exploration is so good in these games.

i-Jest

I'll be starting up Demon Souls soon. So excited. Can't decide which class I should go with as a beginner. Hunter, Wanderer, Magician, or Knight?

Demon Souls GAF, council me.

Dunbar

For 1-1, are the red eye knight and the executioner meant to be fought later? I didn't have much trouble with the rest of the level, but try as I might, those 2 just beat me down no matter what I do.

Nordicus

I'll be starting up Demon Souls soon. So excited. Can't decide which class I should go with as a beginner. Hunter, Wanderer, Magician, or Knight?

Demon Souls GAF, council me.
Hunter - started as this class myself. The axe is kinda neat if a bit slow, but in the beginning of the game, arrows are SO expensive even if they're really useful in some situations. By the time arrows become generally economically viable for regular fights, you'll probably have found/bought a bow for your character anyway.

Wanderer - can't say much about this. Kinda similar to a Hunter but without a bow and more agile. More dependant on getting in, dealing a few quick blows and getting out.

Magician - decent starting class because magic is so powerful in Demon's Souls, however, Royalty is a better starting choice. The spells don't pack quite as much punch, but you can cast them a whole lot more.

Knight - tankiest of classes, wearing the full armor set will hinder your speed and dodging, but you can always take a piece or 2 off and still have good defense, since the set is really good. Can branch off into spells and miracles easily.

I guess I would recommend either Knight or Royalty (or Magician). Playing either Wanderer or Hunter will require you to do quite a bit of melee with gear that's not exceptionally good if you're completely new to the series.

For 1-1, are the red eye knight and the executioner meant to be fought later? I didn't have much trouble with the rest of the level, but try as I might, those 2 just beat me down no matter what I do.
The Red Eye Knights are definitely an end-game enemy

Nordicus

you can beat him on sl 1 with your starting gear.
you have to know the game a little bit, but it is possible.

but you dont have too. ^^
I never said you CAN'T beat them early, but you're not really intended to on your first run. You're supposed to make it to the final parts of the game, then go "Oh, there's that guy in 1-1" and then come back for the stuff he's guarding

Like Black Knight in Dark Souls, or Havel, or the Sif boss.

Kjellson

Okay, so I opened the gate at the beginning of 1-1 (still at the first level, lol) but I have to leave soon. Do I start right where I was if I quit after the game autosaved? I don't want to go through all of that again. Thank the fucking god for that shortcut by the way, that dragon at the bridge part was scary.

Are you at the bridge? Because that's some decent progress for someone thats never played the game before.
Thanks! I'm doing this extremely slowly, lol.

Yes, I agree. When I played this a couple of years ago I thought it was the dumbest thing ever, but this is actually kinda fun.

Dekanach

Okay, so I opened the gate at the beginning of 1-1 (still at the first level, lol) but I have to leave soon. Do I start right where I was if I quit after the game autosaved? I don't want to go through all of that again. Thank the fucking god for that shortcut by the way, that dragon at the bridge part was scary.

Yes, you start just in the right spot when you quit & reload the game, with the current state of the world you were in (enemies killed, items collected, world tendency...). Of course this comes with some exceptions, i.e. drops items will dissapear or enemies wounded but not killed by you return to their original position.

EDIT : when I wrote reload the game I meant to reload your file, lol.

entremet

I keep getting on shotted by the Adjunctator. His swings are hard to dodge and just one and I'm dead.

I've view YT videos but I'm just stuck and my reflexes just suck.

I'm running a Temple Knight melee set.

Nordicus

I keep getting on shotted by the Adjunctator. His swings are hard to dodge and just one and I'm dead.

I've view YT videos but I'm just stuck and my reflexes just suck.

I'm running a Temple Knight melee set.
It's a bit cheap, but I've managed to beat Adjudicator once by staying in a high platform in a corner where he could barely reach (can't for the life of me remember exactly where), and just kept firing arrows at him

Furthermore, I don't think your reflexes can suck that much since you managed to get to the end of 4-1. That is not easy, even if you managed to get that one unintended shortcut. Anyway, iirc, Adjudicator in melee has one side, either left or right, where he can't really hit you very well. Try hugging his ribs inbetween striking the weak spot

entremet

It's a bit cheap, but I've managed to beat Adjudicator once by staying in a high platform in a corner where he could barely reach (can't for the life of me remember exactly where), and just kept firing arrows at him

Furthermore, I don't think your reflexes can suck that much since you managed to get to the end of 4-1. That is not easy, even if you managed to get that one unintended shortcut. Anyway, iirc, Adjudicator in melee has one side, either left or right, where he can't really hit you very well. Try hugging his ribs inbetween striking the weak spot
Thanks I beat him.

The bigger characters are tricky, but it took time to figure it out.

Thanks!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Finally got enough faith to use the Large Sword Of Moonlight. It doesn't only look like it, the thing really is awesome. Especially against the Red Eye Knights in 1-3 and 1-4, which i'm currently exploring.

The Penetrator was laughably easy.
With Biorr distracting the boss and me hammering at his back, he fell down within a minute.

I have so many cool weapons and can't choose which one to use! :p

Seanspeed

Banned
what?

you can beat him on sl 1 with your starting gear.
you have to know the game a little bit, but it is possible.

but you dont have too. ^^
Yea, I beat him before ever moving on from 1-1. I couldn't have done it without playing Dark Souls first, though, so I knew how the combat works in general.

In fact, he proved to be my primary source of soul grinding early on.

Deimo5

The Penetrator was laughably easy.
With Biorr distracting the boss and me hammering at his back, he fell down within a minute.

Yeah on NG at least it's so bad that with my later characters I would not take that option on purpose so it was actually a decent fight.

Galdelico

Oh boy, where did I live until now?

This game is so brutal, it frustrates me like anything else in a long time but... God I love it, it's so compelling, so addictive!
Everytime I die in a critical point (and with alot of souls in my bag) it feels like a tragedy. XD

I'm rolling with my (almost fully armored) barbarian, who can now hold a bastard sword with one hand and use the scimitar quite proficiently. I still feel 'weak' on the whole, but the combat starts feeling really satisfying... I can easily take down the infamous red-eyed knight at this point, haha.

I'm still a bit confused about a couple of things, tho...
- Level progression: I cleared the first 3 parts of Boletarian Palace, boss included, and I can now travel to all the other areas but I don't really understand whether or not there is a specific order to approach them (maybe related to the story or tied to different difficulty levels?).
- UI: I'm not an RPG veteran but not a complete newbie either, still I can't easily figure out yet how the items you pick up influence your character's stats... Seems a bit convoluted to me, but I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.
- Magic and spells: again, I assume it may be related to the character class I picked up but... I don't seem able to cast spells/use magic yet. I find all kind of messages warning me to use magic, fire spells etc. but no way I can do it.

I would have said 'Saving state' too but I just read a reply above by Booshka that clarified it to me, thanks!

Deimo5

I'm still a bit confused about a couple of things, tho...
- Level progression: I cleared the first 3 parts of Boletarian Palace, boss included, and I can now travel to all the other areas but I don't really understand whether or not there is a specific order to approach them (maybe related to the story or tied to different difficulty levels?).

'Story' wise I guess the only thing that usually comes up is to leave 1-4 until the end.
Shrine of Storms (4) would be one of the more difficult areas for a beginner I think, and the Valley of Defilement (5) can be a bit annoying as well.
Stonefang Tunnel (2) is not that bad except for the second boss having a bit of a reputation for kicking people's butts.
Tower Of Latria (3) is not too tough either in my opinion as long as you can deal with the cthulhu head guys effectively. On the other hand it is probably one of the easiest places to get lost in and the second boss killed me more than any other in my first playthrough.
The first areas are generally the easiest but its not so bad that you couldn't just clear each world in order like you did with the Boletarian Palace so far.

- UI: I'm not an RPG veteran but not a complete newbie either, still I can't easily figure out yet how the items you pick up influence your character's stats... Seems a bit convoluted to me, but I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.

It is convoluted but you can get used to it. Reading the wiki explanations of the concepts would not really do any harm if you haven't already - http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/concepts#toc8

- Magic and spells: again, I assume it may be related to the character class I picked up but... I don't seem able to cast spells/use magic yet. I find all kind of messages warning me to use magic, fire spells etc. but no way I can do it.

You need to be wielding a catalyst to cast spells (or a talisman for miracles). You may have already picked up the wooden catalyst from 1-2. Try 4-1 for an easy to reach talisman. Then its just a matter of going to the right NPC for learning and setting spells.

entremet

I don't understand this Tendency stuff at all. I can never get Pure White or Black and I'm following the recommendation online.

What gives?

Parsnip

I don't understand this Tendency stuff at all. I can never get Pure White or Black and I'm following the recommendation online.

What gives?

You are probably online, and the server median is screwing you over.
If you really want to get pure white world tendency, your best bet is to play offline.

i-Jest

Hunter - started as this class myself. The axe is kinda neat if a bit slow, but in the beginning of the game, arrows are SO expensive even if they're really useful in some situations. By the time arrows become generally economically viable for regular fights, you'll probably have found/bought a bow for your character anyway.

Wanderer - can't say much about this. Kinda similar to a Hunter but without a bow and more agile. More dependant on getting in, dealing a few quick blows and getting out.

Magician - decent starting class because magic is so powerful in Demon's Souls, however, Royalty is a better starting choice. The spells don't pack quite as much punch, but you can cast them a whole lot more.

Knight - tankiest of classes, wearing the full armor set will hinder your speed and dodging, but you can always take a piece or 2 off and still have good defense, since the set is really good. Can branch off into spells and miracles easily.

I guess I would recommend either Knight or Royalty (or Magician). Playing either Wanderer or Hunter will require you to do quite a bit of melee with gear that's not exceptionally good if you're completely new to the series.

The Red Eye Knights are definitely an end-game enemy

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Will probably go with Royalty. Would you say Royalty is a decent balance between knight and magician?

Nordicus

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Will probably go with Royalty. Would you say Royalty is a decent balance between knight and magician?
No, not a balance in any hybrid sort of way. It's kinda like comparing (3rd edition) D&D sorcerer and wizard. One can cast more times, the other has more oompf and spell variety. Royalty has a MP regen ring which is usually extremely expensive to get.

There's only really one magic/melee hybrid starting class and that's Temple Knight, and he just has a few extra heals at the start, and some powerful miracles (read: light magic) later in the game, rather than start with ranged attack spells.

Traipsed around in 1-4, dashed past the Blue Dragon, ran up the stairs, beat a phantom, and holy shit the end boss. I got him down to less than 10% of his health, then died.

Then I proceeded to use every last Stone of Ephemeral Eyes to try and get back to fight him again. Died, died, died.

Zero stones left.

I'm simply crestfallen. No desire to play the game right now.

Still have a few bosses I didn't beat, maybe going back to fight them.

It's going to suck playing the forseeable remainder of the game in Soul Form, with just the Cling Ring to help me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There's only really one magic/melee hybrid starting class and that's Temple Knight, and he just has a few extra heals at the start, and some powerful miracles (read: light magic) later in the game, rather than start with ranged attack spells.
The hell are you talking about?
a) Temple Knight starts with the Heal miracle, yes. But any class can learn miracles, you just gotta level up faith a bit, that's all.
b) What do you mean by "Light magic"? All the miracles, save one, are healing spell variants or defensive buffs. There's only one offensive miracle, and it kind of sucks (its Dark Souls equivalent is actually much stronger, kinda OP). The closest thing to "light magic" that comes to mind is the spell "Light Weapon", and that's a weapon buffing spell taught by Sage Freke, not a miracle.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Traipsed around in 1-4, dashed past the Blue Dragon, ran up the stairs, beat a phantom, and holy shit the end boss. I got him down to less than 10% of his health, then died.

Then I proceeded to use every last Stone of Ephemeral Eyes to try and get back to fight him again. Died, died, died.

Zero stones left.

I'm simply crestfallen. No desire to play the game right now.

Still have a few bosses I didn't beat, maybe going back to fight them.

It's going to suck playing the forseeable remainder of the game in Soul Form, with just the Cling Ring to help me.
False King telegraphs all his moves. Learn how to dodge, yo. ;) In any case, you can revive if you a) successfully help another player defeat a boss or b) successfully kill a host as an invader (or summoned red phantom but you probably don't have the red soul sign yet).

So even if you're out of stones, you can engage in either jolly cooperation, or invade some poor schmuck and murder him!

Also, Stones of Ephemeral Eyes can be farmed, but the drop rate is kind of meh. IIRC the giant trolls (everyone's favourite enemies!) in 5-2 drop them. I think the aborted babies (*shudders*) in 5-3 can drop them too but they're a pain to fight. If you're that desperate for stones, you can always try that.

Nordicus

The hell are you talking about?
a) Temple Knight starts with the Heal miracle, yes. But any class can learn miracles, you just gotta level up faith a bit, that's all.
b) What do you mean by "Light magic"? All the miracles, save one, are healing spell variants or defensive buffs. There's only one offensive miracle, and it kind of sucks (its Dark Souls equivalent is actually much stronger, kinda OP). The closest thing to "light magic" that comes to mind is the spell "Light Weapon", and that's a weapon buffing spell taught by Sage Freke, not a miracle.
You can't see it, but my hand is making the "yap yap" motion

Yeah sure you can get just about any end game build from any starting class, but you still don't want to spread your stats too thin, especially on first playthrough.

And the miracles, by "light magic" I mean "holy magic" "divine magic", draw a picture of what you'll get from miracles without needing to go into detail, a'ight, not hard to grasp i hope? And I didn't say you'd get powerful offensive miracles at later parts of the game, I meant powerful in general. No need to be nitpicky.

Top Bottom