• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

False King telegraphs all his moves. Learn how to dodge, yo. ;) In any case, you can revive if you a) successfully help another player defeat a boss or b) successfully kill a host as an invader (or summoned red phantom but you probably don't have the red soul sign yet).

So even if you're out of stones, you can engage in either jolly cooperation, or invade some poor schmuck and murder him!

Also, Stones of Ephemeral Eyes can be farmed, but the drop rate is kind of meh. IIRC the giant trolls (everyone's favourite enemies!) in 5-2 drop them. I think the aborted babies (*shudders*) in 5-3 can drop them too but they're a pain to fight. If you're that desperate for stones, you can always try that.

Thanks for the information!

i-Jest

No, not a balance in any hybrid sort of way. It's kinda like comparing (3rd edition) D&D sorcerer and wizard. One can cast more times, the other has more oompf and spell variety. Royalty has a MP regen ring which is usually extremely expensive to get.

There's only really one magic/melee hybrid starting class and that's Temple Knight, and he just has a few extra heals at the start, and some powerful miracles (read: light magic) later in the game, rather than start with ranged attack spells.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again.

To follow up my previous story, having no more Ephemeral stones, and frustrated with 1-4, I went back and defeated several bosses I hadn't beat yet. Fought the Storm King (fucking amazing battle, that sword...) and wrapped up Valley of Defilement (that last fight against Astria was kind of sad.) Went back, beat False King Allant first try.

Went down to the Old One. That was a very memorable experience.

Finished the game, onto NG+.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
And the Maneater's are down! Finally! I didn't think I could get through that boss. Made another try today and they now went down on my first try. Good stuff.
Old Monk was suprisingly easy, especially after defeating those flying douchesticks.

Two worlds down, three to go. Old Hero is up next. :)

entremet

This game is finally clicking with me---meaning I'm not dying as much I did in the beginning or my initial attempts. I'm beating bosses the first time and not replaying levels over and over.

A few thing that helped me:

Upgrading weapons--Wow this important. I totally ignored this in my previous attempt to beat the game, which was unsuccessful. I didn't really read any guides and wanted to go blind. I thought the upgrading was a waste of time like it was in many other Action RPGs. Not here. Creating weapons from Souls was also key.

Understanding the stamina bar and respecting it--This really helped me with the Skeletons and other human sized foes--Black Phantoms especially.

Parrying, Dodging, and Riposte--The dodge is amazing and I never used the first time around. Does it have invincibility frames?

This game is finally clicking with me---meaning I'm not dying as much I did in the beginning or my initial attempts. I'm beating bosses the first time and not replaying levels over and over.

A few thing that helped me:

Upgrading weapons--Wow this important. I totally ignored this in my previous attempt to beat the game, which was unsuccessful. I didn't really read any guides and wanted to go blind. I thought the upgrading was a waste of time like it was in many other Action RPGs. Not here. Creating weapons from Souls was also key.

Understanding the stamina bar and respecting it--This really helped me with the Skeletons and other human sized foes--Black Phantoms especially.

Parrying, Dodging, and Riposte--The dodge is amazing and I never used the first time around. Does it have invincibility frames?
It does.

And you're spot on about upgrading weapons, it's so incredibly important in Souls.

Alric

Build Question.

So I played through demons souls a while back and did a pure dex build. I was looking to play again and change things up. I am trying to decide between a Str/Mag or a Str/Fai build. I'm pretty sure I want to use a large or ultra large sword so for anyone that has done one or the other which do you think is a more fun build with maybe some pro/cons.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Something killed Patches? He's seems dead as I only see a thief's ring in usual spot.
That's... wait, what?

Build Question.

So I played through demons souls a while back and did a pure dex build. I was looking to play again and change things up. I am trying to decide between a Str/Mag or a Str/Fai build. I'm pretty sure I want to use a large or ultra large sword so for anyone that has done one or the other which do you think is a more fun build with maybe some pro/cons.
DBS mage is the best build evar (really fun to use in PvP too):

DBS mage, SL 125
VIT 50
INT 26 (for that extra fireball before using spice, with silver coronet)
END 37
STR 30
DEX 8
MAG 30
FAI 16 (for Second Chance)
LUCK 8

Gear:
RH1: Dragon Bone Smasher+5 (duh)
RH2: Talisman of God (for Second Chance, feel free to swap it out for a knight sword or other backup weapon if you want but I generally don't bother)

LH1: Insanity Catalyst
LH2: Dark Silver Shield+5

Spells: Second Chance, Fireball, + 2 slots (some favour Ignite, I prefer Light Weapon)

Armour: Silver Coronet + whatever is light enough to roll that you like (I use the Rogue set on mine). Some wear the crazy tornado hat for more magic damage, but I find it ugly and overpowered anyway (style FTW). :)

Tactic: mix up the DBS moves (1h especially, rolling r1 and running r1 are great and super fast) with fireball casts (pivot or not, usually locked off and aimed at point blank where you think the opponent will roll). If you go with the LW version you can buff your DBS, if not, you can chain ignite after a fireball connects at close range. Or you can roll r1 after the fireball. You can actually chain those indefinitely if you time it right. I've seen a guy win a tourney fight with rolling r1 -> fireball -> rolling r1 -> fireball -> rolling r1 etc. It was amazing. Hard to pull off, though. Pivot casting is a must, but it's really fun.

Starting class for min-maxing: Priest, oddly enough, due to its low dex.

entremet

That's... wait, what?

DBS mage, SL 125
VIT 50
END 37
STR 30
DEX 8
MAG 30
LUCK 8

Gear:
RH2: Talisman of God (for Second Chance, feel free to swap it out for a knight sword or other backup weapon if you want but I generally don't bother)

Spells: Second Chance, Fireball, + 2 slots (some favour Ignite, I prefer Light Weapon)

Armour: Silver Coronet + whatever is light enough to roll that you like (I use the Rogue set on mine). Some wear the crazy tornado hat for more magic damage, but I find it ugly and overpowered anyway (style FTW). :)

Tactic: mix up the DBS moves (1h especially, rolling r1 and running r1 are great and super fast) with fireball casts (pivot or not, usually locked off and aimed at point blank where you think the opponent will roll). If you go with the LW version you can buff your DBS, if not, you can chain ignite after a fireball connects at close range. Or you can roll r1 after the fireball. You can actually chain those indefinitely if you time it right. I've seen a guy win a tourney fight with rolling r1 -> fireball -> rolling r1 -> fireball -> rolling r1 etc. It was amazing. Hard to pull off, though. Pivot casting is a must, but it's really fun.

After doing some research it was Yurt. Damn!

Yurt kills NPC after a while. I should've listened to the message!

Alric

That's... wait, what?

DBS mage, SL 125
VIT 50
END 37
STR 30
DEX 8
MAG 30
LUCK 8

Gear:

Awesome thanks, know of a similar Faith build?

Dunbar

Is it possible to sell items in this game? I'm starting to get weighed down by all the weapons/items I've picked up, but I can't find any way to get rid of them.

entremet

Is it possible to sell items in this game? I'm starting to get weighed down by all the weapons/items I've picked up, but I can't find any way to get rid of them.

Nope. You can deposit them in Nexus. There's an NPC near the blacksmith that stores your items.

Dunbar

Just had my first really bad "oh fuck this" moment. I'm still going through 1-1 trying to figure things out and get better at the game, and I was having my best run yet - killed the executioner and the red eye knight, and I had over 10k souls. So I got to the Old King, who killed me in one hit, even though I blocked. So I said, holy shit, I'm not fighting that guy, and went up to retrieve my souls. I was walking up the stairs when an enemy jumped from above and knocked me down to the bottom, killing me. 10k souls gone just like that. I had to immediately turn the game off and get up and walk away. I'm about 6-7 hours in, so I guess that was my cue to move on from 1-1 and start trying other worlds.

Randam

Just had my first really bad "oh fuck this" moment. I'm still going through 1-1 trying to figure things out and get better at the game, and I was having my best run yet - killed the executioner and the red eye knight, and I had over 10k souls. So I got to the Old King, who killed me in one hit, even though I blocked. So I said, holy shit, I'm not fighting that guy, and went up to retrieve my souls. I was walking up the stairs when an enemy jumped from above and knocked me down to the bottom, killing me. 10k souls gone just like that. I had to immediately turn the game off and get up and walk away. I'm about 6-7 hours in, so I guess that was my cue to move on from 1-1 and start trying other worlds.

what executioner?
and how did you get excess to the old king?

the old king is end-, end-, endgame material. :D

Dunbar

Right, Miralda. She was tough. And the Old King was in the Mausoleum. Tried to face him about 5 times and he one-hit me each time, even with a shield up. So I moved on :)

entremet

Right, Miralda. She was tough. And the Old King was in the Mausoleum. Tried to face him about 5 times and he one-hit me each time, even with a shield up. So I moved on :)

You playing NG plus?

Because you need to have almost beaten 1-4, very late game to have gotten that key.

Deimo5

You playing NG plus?

Because you need to have almost beaten 1-4, very late game to have gotten that key.

You can get it very early, just have Ostrava die and he drops it. Doesn't have to be in 1-4.

I guess the online server is trending strongly towards white if you could access Miralda while not going beyond 1-1? Or killing some invaders.

Dunbar

This is my first time playing a Souls game and I have no comprehension of that world tendency stuff or how to affect it. I'd pretty much decided to ignore it since it doesn't really seem like the kind of thing you should worry about on your first play through. But I've played about 6-8 hours, and I've cleared 1-1 and made a few attempts at 1-2, that's it.

entremet

You can get it very early, just have Ostrava die and he drops it. Doesn't have to be in 1-4.

I guess the online server is trending strongly towards white if you could access Miralda while not going beyond 1-1? Or killing some invaders.

Ah. It makes sense then.

Dunbar

Well, I just beat the Tower Knight through probably the cheesiest way possible. Cleared out all the archers and stood up on a parapet spamming Soul Arrow until he went down. So that's 1-1 and 1-2 down.

Question, should I just be using sharpstone/hardstone to upgrade my regular weapons, or is it better to save stuff? I have a regular shield and scimitar that I've been able to upgrade to +3 with the items I found, but I don't want to lock myself out of upgrading when I get better weapons later.

entremet

Man the final boss is giving me tons of trouble. I've played him over 40 times and gotten slivers alway but then I choke it away.

I have Blue Blood Build, but this guy is super cheap. And that Soul Suck move is the worse thing in a video game.

Socreges

Banned
2-2.... fuck. Apparently I took a 'shortcut' (right at the fork). I dropped down this shaft and naturally realized that I'd need to continue going down. So now I'm at the bottom with two options: go through the fog to an enemy (boss?) that I apparently need spells to beat. I have no spells. Alternatively there's an area where I can climb a couple ladders and go down a corridor where I eventually have three more options: a) some kind of scaled, fired up slug, b) his cousin, or c) what looks like lava. All three leading to certain death.

On top of that, there are fire-breathing worms that I can't kill less I exhaust my few bolts.

Is it safe to say that I'm out of my element here and should give up my souls and return to the Nexus? I've beaten 1-1, 2-1, and 1-2 so far. Maybe I should try 1-3? I tried 3-1 earlier but didn't enjoy it so I left.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You don't need spells to beat the 2-2 boss. You do need fast roll though. Or the purple Flame Shield if you're fatrolling but I really wouldn't recommend fatrolling ever in this game (it's basically hard mode for no trade-off).

Eusis

Have their been any events in recent years? If not I'm glad I at least got some of the rewards I really wanted, but kinda disappointing given World Tendency really wasn't a well conceived idea.

Socreges

Banned
I don't have the purple flame shield. No idea where I'd get it.

I assume I'm fatrolling, but I don't know what that is exactly. Presumably the slow, clunky rolls that I execute, though I have no frame of reference. Fast rolling is when you have low equip burden and are more agile, I'm guessing?

Anyway I thought I was stuck. I actually died and left my 10,000 souls at the bottom. I went back to retrieve them, though, convinced there must be a way out. There was! Not to mention a ton of valuable items and another 10k Souls. Really cool and strange feeling to work my way out with the uncertainty of knowing whether or not it was possible.

entremet

2-2.... fuck. Apparently I took a 'shortcut' (right at the fork). I dropped down this shaft and naturally realized that I'd need to continue going down. So now I'm at the bottom with two options: go through the fog to an enemy (boss?) that I apparently need spells to beat. I have no spells. Alternatively there's an area where I can climb a couple ladders and go down a corridor where I eventually have three more options: a) some kind of scaled, fired up slug, b) his cousin, or c) what looks like lava. All three leading to certain death.

On top of that, there are fire-breathing worms that I can't kill less I exhaust my few bolts.

Is it safe to say that I'm out of my element here and should give up my souls and return to the Nexus? I've beaten 1-1, 2-1, and 1-2 so far. Maybe I should try 1-3? I tried 3-1 earlier but didn't enjoy it so I left.

Beat all the -1 levels first, you find some good loot doing so. You should be able to beat 1-2 with ease too.

The Purple Flame shield is in 1-1, where the dragon's roost is. The dragon's leave that spot once you beat the Phalanx. But you took the wrong fork in 2-2. Take the rightmost fork to get to the boss. Come back later to get those goods in the left hand section.

Dunbar

I'm in basically the same spot, and I have the Purple Flame Shield, but there's no way I can use it. It requires stats well beyond what I have now.

entremet

World 4 is the best soul farming spot by far. All of the levels in that world as well and each keeps getting better and better in terms of souls as you progress.

EasyMode

I assume I'm fatrolling, but I don't know what that is exactly. Presumably the slow, clunky rolls that I execute, though I have no frame of reference. Fast rolling is when you have low equip burden and are more agile, I'm guessing?

You fast roll when your equip burden is below 50%. Try taking off armor until you can fast roll, it's a game changer. Heavy armor ain't worth it in this game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Anyway I thought I was stuck. I actually died and left my 10,000 souls at the bottom. I went back to retrieve them, though, convinced there must be a way out. There was! Not to mention a ton of valuable items and another 10k Souls. Really cool and strange feeling to work my way out with the uncertainty of knowing whether or not it was possible.
Good job. And yes there's a way out of this pit, though it's long-ish. Those bearbugs take forever to kill unless you have magic damage (either a magic weapon or, well, magic), they're weak to it but resistant to fire and physical attacks.

And yes, what EasyMode said: heavy armour is never worth it in this game. In Dark Souls you get lots of poise at least, but in Demon's the few extra points of defense you get for each armour makes very little to no difference in the end. So use light stuff like the black leather armour or something like that. Trust me. I struggled with the game (and the 2-2 boss) until I understood heavy armour was not worth it.

World 4 is the best soul farming spot by far. All of the levels in that world as well and each keeps getting better and better in terms of souls as you progress.

World 4-2 is delicious in this regard. Although you need to know the level well to no screw up.

I don't have the purple flame shield. No idea where I'd get it.

I think that's why 2-2 was one of my favorite level in Souls. When you slowly make your way down that shaft, then you think there's no way out and keep exploring with the uncertainity of losing the souls and then reaching the bonfire again victorious?.

3-1 is still the king.

And you're right about your guess. The less weight the faster your character (and rolls) are. Big armors are really useless in Demon (and just slightly less on Dark)

Socreges

Banned
Beat all the -1 level. You find some good loot doing so. You should be able to beat 1-2 with ease too.

The Purple Flame shield is in 1-1, where the dragon's roost is. The dragon's leave that spot once you beat the Phalanx. But you took the wrong fork in 2-2. Take the rightmost fork to get to the boss. Come back later to get those goods in the left hand section.
Hmm I actually went back to the roost and the dragons were still there. Unless the Phalanx isn't the 1-1 boss and I still haven't encountered it?

Good job. And yes there's a way out of this pit, though it's long-ish. Those bearbugs take forever to kill unless you have magic damage (either a magic weapon or, well, magic), they're weak to it but resistant to fire and physical attacks.
So you can imagine how long it took me (no magic!). And one of the bearbugs (the 2nd I met) actually exploded and killed me. Meaning I had to start all over again. But I kept going, determined to escape with all souls.

EasyMode

The dragons will leave the roost when world 1 has pure white tendency. If you're playing online this will typically happen after beating 1-1.

Even if they're still around, you can grab the good loot there by going to the bridge and baiting the dragon over, then hauling ass back to roost while he's roasting the bridge. Might wanna do this after spending your souls though.

Edit: IIRC, the dragon needs to start breathing fire before you make a run for it. That way, he'll do several passes over the bridge, giving you enough time to grab the loot.

Socreges

Banned
The dragons will leave the roost when world 1 has pure white tendency. If you're playing online this will typically happen after beating 1-1.

Even if they're still around, you can grab the good loot there by going to the bridge and baiting the dragon over, then hauling ass back to roost while he's roasting the bridge. Might wanna do this after spending your souls though.
World tendency.... I still suspect I don't know how this works or how exactly to confirm what it is. And I am definitely online. How can I bring it to white tendency if it isn't already there?

World tendency.... I still suspect I don't know how this works or how exactly to confirm what it is. And I am definitely online. How can I bring it to white tendency if it isn't already there?

Online mode tendency works kinda randomly so probably you want to play in offline mode. Unlucky for you is way more easy to obtain pure black tendency than pure white. The only way to gain "white points" is: kill a boss (you gain + 1), kill the dragon in 1-2 and 1-4 (you gain +1). This is the only way to get pure white on offline, you get white points too if you kill an invading phantom. To get pure white you need +3 points, so you have little chances in one playthrough to get pure white, also every time you die in body form means -1 less point so...yeah lol

Here's a more detailed guide:

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

EasyMode

You can check where it is in the world tendency menu:

dvIksdY.jpg

In this example, Stonefang Tunnel is pure white, and Tower of Latria is pure black. Killing a boss will move you towards white. Dying in body form or killing certain NPCs will move you towards black. Also, the server tracks the average world tendency of players online, and every time you login your own tendency will be influenced by the server's, making it tricky to manage while playing online.

Those are the basics, but there's a lot more to it than I can explain. What an intuitive and user-friendly concept. From was smoking some next-level shit.

Socreges

Banned
So, in Layman's terms, I'm fucked for the foreseeable future? ;)

I'll try baiting the dragon then.

And thanks for the info, guys. I'd seen a basic explanation before, but now I actually understand how it works.

So, in Layman's terms, I'm fucked for the foreseeable future? ;)

I'll try baiting the dragon then.

And thanks for the info, guys. I'd seen a basic explanation before, but now I actually understand how it works.

Yeah.

I wouldn't bother with world tendency in NG. Maybe in consecutive playthroughs...unless you want to try pure dark, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are fully confident of your skills.

entremet

I've been reading the beginning of this thread and I kinda regret not playing this game when it was more popular. But it's fun reading everything in hindsight. People complaining about Yurt killing NPCs is funny as it happened to me.

Better late than never at least.

What happened to the poster known as Canova? He's like a DS super fan and has tons of great advice. Seems he may be permabanned since his last post is in 2012. But dude was super hardcore.

Socreges

Banned
I really have no idea where to invest my souls. Suggestions welcome:

Temple Knight

Vit 20
Int 10
End 19
Str 20
Dex 14
Mag 9
Fai 13
Luc 7

I know certain weapons require certain focuses. But without knowing which weapons I'll end up using I don't know which attributes to level. I like using lighter swords (ie, with a shield) and hope to use magic offensively ASAP. What do you guys think I should work on then?

Oh and BTW: I had no idea about the agility gained by having Equip Burden under half. Wow. Completely transforms the game.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Endurance, endurance, endurance. Built up that Stamina bar, one of the most important stats in the game.

"Completed" the game. Yay!
False King was pretty though but he's got to be my favorite boss in the game. He's challenging but fair. Every attack is perfectly dodgeable and he gives you plenty of time to get back up your feet and heal when he explodes. Really fun, challenging battle. :)

Awesome game. And I can't say it enough; great exploration.

greyshark

I really have no idea where to invest my souls. Suggestions welcome:

Temple Knight

Vit 20
Int 10
End 19
Str 20
Dex 14
Mag 9
Fai 13
Luc 7

I know certain weapons require certain focuses. But without knowing which weapons I'll end up using I don't know which attributes to level. I like using lighter swords (ie, with a shield) and hope to use magic offensively ASAP. What do you guys think I should work on then?

Oh and BTW: I had no idea about the agility gained by having Equip Burden under half. Wow. Completely transforms the game.

Based on your preferences, I'd suggest leveling up DEX (with END and VIT of course) and using Sharp weapons.

Socreges

Banned
Based on your preferences, I'd suggest leveling up DEX (with END and VIT of course) and using Sharp weapons.
Cool, thanks. How come so many people normally neglect DEX? Because they're focusing on magic or big swords?

Also I'd like to point out how weird it is that many shields, at least according to the wiki, cannot parry.

Parsnip

Cool, thanks. How come so many people normally neglect DEX? Because they're focusing on magic or big swords?

Also I'd like to point out how weird it is that many shields, at least according to the wiki, cannot parry.

Large shields bash, regular shields parry.

Alric

Question Regarding World Tendencies since I've seen a few posts recently. The only time I played through the game was online and I never once had a pure white or pure black tendency. Should I just play offline so I can control it better or has anyone had luck with getting pure tendencies while online?

Dekanach

Question Regarding World Tendencies since I've seen a few posts recently. The only time I played through the game was online and I never once had a pure white or pure black tendency. Should I just play offline so I can control it better or has anyone had luck with getting pure tendencies while online?

That's the idea. In online mode, the game tends to change the WT according to the median calculated by the servers. The only safe way to control WT is playing offline.

Top Bottom