• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Dunbar

If you post some details, people will try and help you. I'm playing it for the first time myself, and it's tough, but stick with it and it's worth it.

Nimby

Banned
The whole Phalanx archstone area is driving me nuts, I always end up dying at the third red dragon with the archers or knights, or at the boss, and I have to redo that whole section over again. It's driving me cray cray D:

entremet

The whole Phalanx archstone area is driving me nuts, I always end up dying at the third red dragon with the archers or knights, or at the boss, and I have to redo that whole section over again. It's driving me cray cray D:

Are you blocking?

Have you gotten the bow yet?

Nimby

Banned
Yes and no. To clarify, it's not getting past the dragons that are hard, but rather the potluck of archers and enemies at the third tower that decimate me. The arrows from above tend to break my guard a leave me wide open for the blue knight, and I can't get those archers yet.

I can get past them sometimes, but they're my biggest annoyance. I even got a good strategy for the blue knight, but one archer at the bottom of tower usually flees before I can kill him, so he can fire arrows from down the hallway where the other blue knight is, and I don't think I can take two at once.

Is it possible to grab my souls at the boss and return to the shopkeeper or to the Nexus. I figured backtracking through the dragons could pose a challenge?

Randam

hm, never had problems with the level.

is this the 2nd level you are doing?
you could try others first.

many players do 2-1 after 1-1.
or check out all -1 levels.
maybe you find an awesome weapon. ;)

if you have one, you could use a Shard of Archstone to get back to the nexus with all your souls.
but they are rare and expensiv.

some tips: try to roll through the arrows if you can't block them.
then hit the archers with your sword.

Dunbar

Try to pull the first blue knight out of the corridor onto the area at the end of the bridge. You have a bigger area at the end of that bridge than you realize that you can use without triggering the dragon. If you get him out there, you should have enough time to kill him without the 2nd knight joining the fight, and enough room to dodge any stray arrows from archers you couldn't kill. Kill that first blue knight quickly, then move through the corridor and kill the remaining archers on the way to the 2nd knight.

Dunbar

I just beat Armored Spider in 2-1. That was the 2nd boss in a row I tried to fight straight up, got destroyed 5-10 times, and eventually gave up and started plinking away at him with Soul Arrow. Whenever that strategy stops working, I'm going to be fucked. And I looked up a few videos of melee strategy on Armored Spider, and people are doing 200-300 damage hitting him with a sword. I was doing like, 60. I have no idea how people just rock the bosses like that.

EasyMode

I just beat Armored Spider in 2-1. That was the 2nd boss in a row I tried to fight straight up, got destroyed 5-10 times, and eventually gave up and started plinking away at him with Soul Arrow. Whenever that strategy stops working, I'm going to be fucked. And I looked up a few videos of melee strategy on Armored Spider, and people are doing 200-300 damage hitting him with a sword. I was doing like, 60. I have no idea how people just rock the bosses like that.

It's because they're using sticky white stuff, or using a certain sword found in 4-1
(Crescent Falchion)
. Could also just be New Game+ with an upgraded sword.

Socreges

Banned
I've actually got that sword, but didn't think it was anything special. I'll take another look.

I actually find myself thinking about this game while at work and getting hyped to play it. So hard finding the time, though.

greyshark

I've actually got that sword, but didn't think it was anything special. I'll take another look.

I actually find myself thinking about this game while at work and getting hyped to play it. So hard finding the time, though.

Crescent weapons scale with Magic, so if you're not leveling it up at all you won't see the same bonuses magic users would see.

Randam

the
Crescent Falchion
is pretty strong.
especially in the beginning, when you have low stats.

latter it could get weaker, if you are not goint to level int.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
the
Crescent Falchion
is pretty strong.
especially in the beginning, when you have low stats.

latter it could get weaker, if you are not goint to level int.
But by then you have the dragon longsword+5 that roflstomps everything (except Flamelurker), so... xD (ok it won't last long in NG+ but it can carry you through all of NG, honestly).

Socreges

Banned
Is farming stones a bad idea for someone playing for the first time? I really want to upgrade some of my weapons, but don't have the resources. I'm getting by fine, though, so I'm thinking it might not be worth the time unless I'm in trouble.

I'm finally getting a handle on the game's mechanics at least. Magic makes sense now, as do a lot of the stat bonuses and such. Still not sure at times which of the several rapiers I've got should be upgraded and which should be tossed aside, for example. In time, I suppose.

Also no idea where to head next. 1-2, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1 and 4-1 are done. 1-3 is inaccessible for some reason I don't understand. I'll try 3-2 next unless someone urges otherwise!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
If you've finished 2-2 i'd advice on trying 2-3. Defeating the boss in there is more like a puzzle. Defenitely not as hard as the the Flamelurker.

Socreges

Banned
Flamelurker was easy.....

Only because I had the right shield and the soul arrow, of course. Probably would have been screwed otherwise.

Dunbar

To get into 1-3 you need to defeat the final boss of another world (that's what an archdemon is). I'm not there yet either. I've done 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1. Next up I'm going to do either 2-2 or 3-1.

Farming for pure bladestone has to be the worst experience ever.

It's interesting playing through this again after having played a lot of dark souls. This feels like the easier game to me. I used to think false king was tough but Artorias is much more aggressive. I still hate Maneater fight though, especially on NG+. The narrow bridge ensures sweaty palms :(.

Nibel

I'm still playing it, but I'm not grinding for those trophies at all. Sorry, bro. I hate BS trophies.

MTNeG0H.png

Man, getting that fucking thing is such a pain in the ass; like, why is the rarest item in the game a freaking ore? I was farming the whole day (!), sitting on my couch all day and telling myself "today I'll platinum DS" - how dumb :lol

Anyway, if someone can give me a spare Pure Bladestone, I'd appreciate it :) PM!

Nibel

try the normal katana skeleton after the hiddin passage at the start of 4-2.

I did! World tendency is on Pure Black for better drop rate, my Luck skill must be high enough and yet all I get is crap after I kill that dude

In fact the best thing about that whole procedure was jumping off the cliff and trying to land on one of those flying enemies to cause 3 damage points and then die :lol

Has NG+ something to do with it?

Parsnip

Sword of Searching and luck stat only affect drop rate, not drop quality, AFAIK.
And since both of the pure bladestone farming spots are guaranteed drops already, raising drop rate is pointless.

I got mine with about 5 hours of total grinding. Fun times.

oracrest

Thanks guys, I passed it. That feeling you get when you pass a section that gives you trouble is amazing.

That part was particularly difficult for me when I first played. At specifically the points where you are getting hung up.

Glad you got past it, because that area is a doozy, and it's one of the biggest difficult runs in the game. Most of the areas provide potential shortcuts to open that making the final boss run a little bit easier.

If you get seriously stuck again, try any of the other first archstones. They are more difficult than the very first area in Boletaria, but are each totally manageable early on. Sometimes you just need to go explore elsewhere and come back with a fresh perspective on an area that is giving you trouble.

Donos

Hi guys and girls, i finally played a bit more after i died like thousand times in 1-1/1-2.

Now i read up some stuff and don't know if i should go for the
crecent falchion
as it seems way to good and maybe overpowered after upgrading it? Like many wrote in countless threads the game is not that hard when you take it really slow and don't get sloppy with "normal" enemies (which i still get often -_-).

I play as Royal (i know...) and already find the Soul Arrow owerpowered sometimes. Have to hack 10 times at the miner dudes in 2-1 / 2-2 /2-3 but can kill them with 1-2 soul arrows. Although i don't know if i still would play this game if i hadn't cheesed my way sometimes with the soul arrow (
spider boss was a cake with it, don't want to know how often i would have died in close combat).

I have done the levels in order so far 1-1 till 1-4 then 2-1 till 2-3. I'm right before
Flamelurker
fight now.

I'm thinking of getting the
Crecent Falchion
in 4 after the
Flamelurker
fight but don't want the game be to easy and also don't want to play with only one weapon.

I'm putting my souls into Strenght / Vitality / Endurance. Still have my wizard starting "armor" but read that armor isn't that important in the game.

Also had my first NPC hitting accident. Was runnning after a crystal lizard in Stonefang tunnels and started to slash away at it till something was complaining at me. Was the Filth man sitting there. Had a heart attack till i looked him up and saw that he is not important. I always try to put my fingers away from the triggers now in the Nexus.

Really like this game so far. Even with reading some stuff up from time to time. My gaming time is limited so i can't really test everything out on my own and dump down 300 hours on this game but i try to play as long as possible without help till i die alot on one place or can't find the right way.

Had also a bunch of classic Demon Soul's moments. Had around 35.000 souls before Flamelurker yesterday (which is alot for me as i'm only lvl 23 or so) and knew that i won't finish him without dying. So i ran all the way back to the nexus but forgot that there is a pit in the tunnels which you have to circumvent. Was yellling at my tv while falling down.
As i respawned i thought, now that i knew the map, i could breeze through it to the pit and regain my souls. But already the the first two miners almost fucked me up. I had no pixel of health visible anymore and my heart was racing again, so close to loosing 35k souls. I managed to doge and backstab one miner and fall back to soul arrow for the other. Healed me, then rolled wrong and almost got me killed again from the yellow proximity bomb thing, again with no pixel left.
Needles to say that i took it real slow after this till i regained my 35k souls and got back to the Nexus safe to use them all up.

Today is [boss name spoiler)
Flamelurker
day.

WTF, just read some post from the last page and the Yurt guy is killing NPCs? Maybe i have to read up on him before he suprises me and starts killing ppl in the nexus. Didn't meet him yet though.

Parsnip

Crescent scales with magic, and it's +1 weapon that you can get very early. That's why it's powerful in the beginning, especially for royalist's starting magic stat. And you can keep it powerful if you pump souls into magic, and upgrade the sword to increase the scaling.

But for a player like me, who prefers to carry a large shield, strength is a must, and at that point it's more economical to get a weapon that scales with strength and then get Crushing (instead of Crescent) upgrades on it. So I for example rolled the back half of my game with Claymore, and then upgraded it to Crushing Claymore. Used the Battle Axe for a brief time as well because it's faster but still strength scaling.

And speaking of accidentally killing NPC's, I accidentally agroed
Yurt on my first time through. I found him and set him free, and then went to see him on nexus. I talked to him, and then set the controller down on the couch, but because of the way the L2/R2 buttons are on the Dualshock 3, they pushed down and my dude managed to land two heavy hits before I noticed and grabbed the controller, but by then it was too late already.

I then had to go look up the ramifications, and realized that I was pretty lucky, considering. :p

Socreges

Banned
I have done the levels in order so far 1-1 till 1-4 then 2-1 till 2-3. I'm right before
Flamelurker
fight now.
I'm confused. First off, Flamelurker is 2-2. And secondly, you need to beat 2-3 before accessing 1-3.

I've beaten 1-3, 2-3, 3-1 and 4-1 so far. On 3-2 right now but haven't played for days. Excited to get back in it.

Donos

I have the Crushing Battleaxe from 2-1 (or 2-2?) but i feel that it's not quite good atm as my scimitar +3. But i have a lot of stuff for upgrading it so i'm going to visit the blacksmith soon.

Donos

I'm confused. First off, Flamelurker is 2-2. And secondly, you need to beat 2-3 before accessing 1-3.

I've beaten 1-3, 2-3, 3-1 and 4-1 so far. On 3-2 right now but haven't played for days. Excited to get back in it.

Sorry, since i'm pretty new to the game, i still mix up the levels. I have beaten tower knight and thought i cleared everything in 1 except the way (gate) behind the red eyed uber knight but i remember that i read up that you need to beat an archdemon and the one in world 2 is the easiest, so i went to world 2.

So then i have only cleared 1-1, 1-2, 2-1,2-2 except the boss. Well, still a lot to go.

cjp

Well I picked it up for the first time in a couple of years, never really got around to properly playing it before.

No real idea what I'm doing but I spent a couple of hours playing and beat the first boss as a Knight.

Figured I'd try and explore the bit after with the bridge and then some high level guy invaded with all this smart gear, tore me apart and gave me plague or something.

So, yeah. I don't think this games for me.

Edit: I messaged him and he said he was level 6. How can he have, I assume, much better gear? Or am I just woefully shit?

EasyMode

Well I picked it up for the first time in a couple of years, never really got around to properly playing it before.

No real idea what I'm doing but I spent a couple of hours playing and beat the first boss as a Knight.

Figured I'd try and explore the bit after with the bridge and then some high level guy invaded with all this smart gear, tore me apart and gave me plague or something.

So, yeah. I don't think this games for me.

Edit: I messaged him and he said he was level 6. How can he have, I assume, much better gear? Or am I just woefully shit?

Twink invaders are dicks. They're actually low level, but have late game gear. They avoid leveling up, but can advance through the game because they've beaten it dozens of times. You can't expect to beat them.

You can avoid invasions by playing offline (sign out of psn before loading) or you can suicide in the Nexus whenever you get your body back. You can't be invaded in soul form.

Also, since your a Knight, try taking off bits of armor until you can quick roll. It makes a big difference.

cjp

Twink invaders are dicks. They're actually low level, but have late game gear. They avoid leveling up, but can advance through the game because they've beaten it dozens of times. You can't expect to beat them.

You can avoid invasions by playing offline (sign out of psn before loading) or you can suicide in the Nexus whenever you get your body back. You can't be invaded in soul form.

Also, since your a Knight, try taking off bits of armor until you can quick roll. It makes a big difference.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm not sure if they had completed the game - I checked their trophies and only a couple of ones for Demon's Souls are unlocked, but I guess you must be right because I can't see how they'd have such better gear.

cjp

just because an invader beat you, you think the game isnt for you?

It was more the fact that after painstakingly traversing a new section and getting pretty far, which I found pretty difficult, I got invaded by a player far beyond what I could have possibly hoped to deal with. If it had been a death that I deserved, like from rushing into an area or messing up combat with an NPC, than yeah, fair enough, my mistake, I'll try again. But getting invaded by an experienced grifter after playing for just 2 hours? Yeah, my enthusiasm waned.

Socreges

Banned
So do most of you guys deliberately play in Soul form? I've been playing in Body form at every opportunity. If I die, I return to Body form immediately. I didn't realize damage would be increased; always thought it was just easier to die and generally inferior.

Donos

So do most of you guys deliberately play in Soul form? I've been playing in Body form at every opportunity. If I die, I return to Body form immediately. I didn't realize damage would be increased; always thought it was just easier to die and generally inferior.

I just play always in Soul form as i don't want to be invaded. It was probably fun in the early days but i bet that now you only get invaded from Pro's and trolls with no chance to beat them.

And damn, i hit a wall again with 1-3 after the tower knight archstone. Sometimes i get to the red eyed knight (fighting them is really fun) an then i die and die again at the first 5 guards. Lost 15.000 souls and put the controller down. Need some days to get back into it. Tried 4 - 1 for a few minutes and NOPE to these rolling skeletons.

And damn, the Thief's ring is essential for me. If i don't use it, everybody is ganging up on me simultaneously.

Socreges

Banned
Those skeletons are actually quite easy if you've got a decent shield and can face them individually. Otherwise some of their attacks can knock you back. My uninformed opinion anyhow.

Parsnip

I believe skeletons are weak against blunt damage, so using a mace or something like that instead of a sword will probably help you out in 4-1.

Donos

When i have fought against them more, i probably will get their attacks better. I deal already alot of damage to them with my Crushing Axe + 3. Was just a sudden change of pace from slow enemies to these guys on crack. First thing that came to my mind (after initial WTF) was "they see me rollin, they hatin...".

I just wanted a little peek of that map and the talisman to use my heal miracle. Want to finish up 1-3 first.

Socreges

Banned
I believe skeletons are weak against blunt damage, so using a mace or something like that instead of a sword will probably help you out in 4-1.
This is true. Though I personally couldn't find a blunt weapon that wasn't unwieldy and slow.

When in doubt, Dragon Long Sword +

Top Bottom