• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Donos

Was finally going through 1-3 pretty good, then saw another red eyed knight and thought "no problem - fuck yeah". Suddenly this fucker starts swinging 2-3 times, two handed without a shield - WTF . Blocking was almost useless -_-. Survived pretty close but few minutes later there was another red eyed two handed bastard who got me. Then i just died at the first three guards in 1-3 because i was cocky. Another 15.000 souls down the drain.Vadernooooo.
I also can't further upgrade my Crushing Battleaxe +2 till i find a chunk of greystone which only rarely drops from the worms in 2-2 :( . Maybe time to switch my weapon or dedicate a few hours of farming.

Still have the Dragon Longsword from World 2. Maybe going to try to upgrade it.

How rare is the sticky white stuff? Doing serious damage with it but want to keep it for bosses.

Spinx

I just wanted to say, FUCK YOU PURE BLADESTONE! I finally got it. This will be my first and last platinum trophy lol. I had to make a new character because I leveled up my luck to 14 on my first one.

Donos

I just wanted to say, FUCK YOU PURE BLADESTONE! I finally got it. This will be my first and last platinum trophy lol. I had to make a new character because I leveled up my luck to 14 on my first one.

I don't even want to look up the trophy list of this game. Only platinum i'm close to is Infamous 2.

But slowly getting addicted to Demon's Souls although i already hate that game :) . Maybe my first plat. Are there any info how long they will let the the servers up? I guess they had a deal with Sony for putting it up on PS+ (Sony paying for servers).

Spinx

I don't even want to look up the trophy list of this game. Only platinum i'm close to is Infamous 2.

But slowly getting addicted to Demon's Souls although i already hate that game :) . Maybe my first plat. Are there any info how long they will let the the servers up? I guess they had a deal with Sony for putting it up on PS+ (Sony paying for servers).

If you're going for platinum, dont play online since it screws with your world tendency. There are specific npcs and items that show up during pure white or black tendency.

Parsnip

I also can't further upgrade my Crushing Battleaxe +2 till i find a chunk of greystone which only rarely drops from the worms in 2-2 :( . Maybe time to switch my weapon or dedicate a few hours of farming.
You can find one chunk of greystone as a treasure.

Donos

You can find one chunk of greystone as a treasure.

Thanks, you mean the one in 2-2?(just watched a youtube vid) Hopefully i didn't collected it already but i don't remember using a chunk of greystone for upgrading so far.

Damn, i should work and not think about this game and roam the wiki
/youtube.

Nibel

> wants pure white character tendency for that stupid ring
> kills all black phantoms
> talks to the little monk upstairs
> he aint givin shit
> me: the fuck is goin on
> realizing i'm still not pure white character tendency
> learns that killing one of the 5 BP's with poison does not count
> has killed one of them with poison
> hangs out in 4-1 for hours waiting for phantoms to appear

LLShC.gif

EasyMode

hangs out in 4-1 for hours waiting for phantoms to appear

I haven't played in ages, but 4-1 was always super active, unless you've killed the boss of course.

You could also put your sign down for co-op and kill an invader for your host to get that tendency bump.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Unless you plan on being a blue phantom a lot, that friend ring is useless anyway. It's very good for PvP though, but if you PvP a lot you'll reach PWCT in no time so... yeah.

Nibel

Beat the game, played some NG++ and now I'm done with the game after getting the platinum trophy :)

I really love the connected world structure of Dark Souls, but something about that Nexus feels really special to me. Glad that I returned to this game and hope that there'll be a second Demon's Souls - but they really need to work on that world/character tendency system; it sounds great on paper, but man it can be incredibly annoying. Give the players more options to manipulate them over and over again instead of forcing players to play the game a dozens times

leroidys

Wait does having higher luck prevent you from getting pure blade stone? I never got that trophy.

Spinx

Wait does having higher luck prevent you from getting pure blade stone? I never got that trophy.

Seems like luck only affects drop rate of an item from an enemy, it does not care about the rarity of it. So if you have higher luck it's harder to get a pure bladestone. I farmed for 10 hours total on my 14 luck character, nothing. I go make another character with 7 luck and get the bladestone in maybe 3-4. Might be a coincidence but I dunno. I'm a believer in the theory that luck impedes pure bladestone :D. Also, if you're on EU servers and are somewhere in 120 sl, I'll drop you one.

Parsnip

Luck stat affecting negatively on the pure bladestone drops seems like crazy talk to me.
It doesn't help, but surely it doesn't impede either.

Donos

fuck the traps in 4-1 !!!!!!

At least my Dragon Long Sword +3 is plowing through the rolling skeletons now. I don't see any weapon coming even close in the near future to the damage. Even more if i find the stuff for +4.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
fuck the traps in 4-1 !!!!!!

At least my Dragon Long Sword +3 is plowing through the rolling skeletons now. I don't see any weapon coming even close in the near future to the damage. Even more if i find the stuff for +4.
Dragon weapons are very good early game, because they have high base damage. But, they don't scale at all. Which means levelling up dex or strength won't increase your damage output, only upgrading the weapon will, and it'll cap at +5 of course. Dragon weapons are excellent early to mid game, and okay (viable, but not great) til early NG+, then they are kind of bad. Just FYI.

Donos

- wants to get the Lava Bow
- use up all of my Stones of Ephemeral Eyes to shift World 2 to PBWT to farm Hardstones (accidently aggroed the filthy man and had to kill him)
- make one runthrough and get some good stones - prepares to make 9-10 farming runthroughs
- sees a fat glowing rat thingy at the start of 2-1 and kills it
- world tendency shifts back +3 to white
- ;_;
- when is halloween again ? -_-

Spinx

- wants to get the Lava Bow
- use up all of my Stones of Ephemeral Eyes to shift World 2 to PBWT to farm Hardstones (accidently aggroed the filthy man and had to kill him)
- make one runthrough and get some good stones - prepares to make 9-10 farming runthroughs
- sees a fat glowing rat thingy at the start of 2-1 and kills it
- world tendency shifts back +3 to white
- ;_;
- when is halloween again ? -_-

Killing a crystal lizard should not affect the world tendency at all. Weird.

Edit: you killed the primeval demon lol. Happened to me in world 4.

Donos

This game...

Even with a detailed map from the wiki i keep falling down holes and ledges in 3-1. Damn dark in there.

I can't imagine how it was for the first japanese players to power through this game without wiki and all. 3-1 alone would have taken me several weekends without the map.

Found the flute armor and lol at that old man's rolling animation. Sadly there is no sound when he "rolls".

Going to keep my wizard rags and the quick roll.

randomkid

Hey dudes! I'm about to face the very first boss and I got 3300 souls to spend, what should I get? I'm a Royal cuz I heard that was the easiest class.

Basically, will a better shield or sword help out much up next? Or should I just horde until I can actually level myself up later?

Edit: Never mind, that boss was a joke. Royals really do make everything pretty simple!

Chris R

Tower Knight... I can do like 90 damage to him :( I see his ankle is spitting blue stuff out but 90 damage is less than 1/10th of his bar...

I have a scmitar+2 and a halbred+2, should I switch weapons? Also, can I get in, get my souls and get out? I'd be able to gain 3 or 4 levels with all the souls sitting in his area :|

Socreges

Banned
Tower Knight... I can do like 90 damage to him :( I see his ankle is spitting blue stuff out but 90 damage is less than 1/10th of his bar...

I have a scmitar+2 and a halbred+2, should I switch weapons? Also, can I get in, get my souls and get out? I'd be able to gain 3 or 4 levels with all the souls sitting in his area :|
Keep hitting his ankles. Eventually he drops and you can do more damage. It's a war of attrition, imo.

And once you're in a boss arena, there's no exit unless you defeat the boss... or die. Just get back in there without dying, collect your souls, and defeat him. As long as you're cautious, it's definitely possible.

leroidys

Seems like luck only affects drop rate of an item from an enemy, it does not care about the rarity of it. So if you have higher luck it's harder to get a pure bladestone. I farmed for 10 hours total on my 14 luck character, nothing. I go make another character with 7 luck and get the bladestone in maybe 3-4. Might be a coincidence but I dunno. I'm a believer in the theory that luck impedes pure bladestone :D. Also, if you're on EU servers and are somewhere in 120 sl, I'll drop you one.
I'm in NA but thanks.

Donos

Like Scorges said, hit the ankles till he falls. Then hit the head for more damage.
Tower knight is easy to stay behind him. After you see a while how he moves you have no fear of stepping between his legs or staying close to him/behind him.

Edit: False King (1-4 endboss) totally mopped the floor with me. His attacks are quick. First time i'm considering using help from a Phantom. I don't want to cheese him out with 400 arrows (just had this with the blue dragon) and beat him in close combat with melee. Maybe i'm savning him for later.

I'm playing through this game again for the second time. Best Souls game.
I need five chunks of greystone though, lol.
Many people seem to have problems with the rolling skeletons. There's a trick (for low level players) you may want to know:

Use your fists.
Yes, seriously. They go down after 2-3 hits (tried it with SL 19).

Donos

Now that i have SL around 60 , Dragon Longsword +4 and almost PWWT in world 4, the rolling skeletons die with one kill. And you can strafe pretty easy around them.

A black tendency in world 1 made the red eyed knights in 1-4 damn dangerous again. Some attacks are one hit kills. I really like that the game challenges you always, even with "normal" enemies.

The Dragon Longsword is one one of the best weapons, seriously. I upgraded it to +4 and every Boss is a joke, lol.
But it doesn't scale so I think it's pretty useless in NG+ ?

Also, can I get in, get my souls and get out? I'd be able to gain 3 or 4 levels with all the souls sitting in his area :|

If you select Quit Game from the menu while in a boss fight, when you restore your game you will be outside the boss door. You can use this tactic to retrieve your bloodstain and spend the souls.

Soulhouf

The Dragon Longsword is one one of the best weapons, seriously. I upgraded it to +4 and every Boss is a joke, lol.
But it doesn't scale so I think it's pretty useless in NG+ ?

Don't increase your stats beyond the requirements otherwise you're wasting them.
And yes, in NG+ that weapon won't shine anymore.

kick51

Banned
i've started this and stopped a bunch of times, but finally committed to a build today to play through for real. Started soldier, playing with no magic and not using any hints outside of what I already know. Before, I played as Royal and used some light gamefaqs'ing, didn't finish the game for what ever reason. I played Dark Souls as pyro and went a little more heavy on the hints and finished one playthrough. Now I'm doing a Souls game for real for some redemption.

beat the 1-1 boss handily, as I've already beaten him plenty of times, though it was slightly different with melee. 2-1 took me down a few tries, then went down pretty easily once I got the pattern down. I've made it as far as the
Flamelurker
some years ago, but don't remember much outside of the first stage in each level.

i hope if this gets ported to PS4 or Vita that saves transfer -_-

Donos

Ok, Black Phantom Scivir wiped me away like an annoying fly. A hit of my Dragon Longsword +4 took like 3 hp from him ...

Will put him right next to False King in my "come back later when overpowered" drawer.

Edit:scratch False King, lvled up 6-7 levels and tried again. Took me around 10 minutes in a fair melee close combat fight. Was close of dying two, three times. Absolutely loved this fight. Most fun i had this game so far.

But i don't know how you could manage that (melee) without the quick roll.

Only have 3-2,3-3 and Old King Doran left now + all the Black/White Tendency only enemies but that's rather for NG+.

Don't know if i'm going straight to NG+ or pause and try Dark Souls.

Yasawas

Many people seem to have problems with the rolling skeletons. There's a trick (for low level players) you may want to know:

Use your fists.
Yes, seriously. They go down after 2-3 hits (tried it with SL 19).

What! I finally got a US copy of this yesterday to get the hat-trick of platinums so I've put a fair bit of time into this game but I've never heard of that, can't wait to try it.

Playing 1-1 again last night was still a great experience after all these years, I love both Dark Soulses but this is the pick of the bunch for me.

What! I finally got a US copy of this yesterday to get the hat-trick of platinums so I've put a fair bit of time into this game but I've never heard of that, can't wait to try it.

Playing 1-1 again last night was still a great experience after all these years, I love both Dark Soulses but this is the pick of the bunch for me.

Aaaaaaaaand? Did you try it? :p
It works. Fists destroy the skeletons.

BTW: I just got invaded in that level. The fight lasted 10 minutes but I beat him/her with my Dragon Longsword +4. I accidently used the soul of the fatty though, lol.

Ok, Black Phantom Scivir wiped me away like an annoying fly. A hit of my Dragon Longsword +4 took like 3 hp from him ...

Will put him right next to False King in my "come back later when overpowered" drawer.

Edit:scratch False King, lvled up 6-7 levels and tried again. Took me around 10 minutes in a fair melee close combat fight. Was close of dying two, three times. Absolutely loved this fight. Most fun i had this game so far.

But i don't know how you could manage that (melee) without the quick roll.

Only have 3-2,3-3 and Old King Doran left now + all the Black/White Tendency only enemies but that's rather for NG+.

Don't know if i'm going straight to NG+ or pause and try Dark Souls.
Scivir will run out of mana if you keep dodging his fireballs.

Chris R

If you select Quit Game from the menu while in a boss fight, when you restore your game you will be outside the boss door. You can use this tactic to retrieve your bloodstain and spend the souls.

I'll try this tomorrow to get a few levels to try the tower knight again.

Donos

Scivir will run out of mana if you keep dodging his fireballs.

Well, he killed me with his sword and not with a fireball. Also missed to hit him when he did cast his Regeneration spell.

Old King Doran is not better. Almost every direct hit is one hit kill. I only make 20-30 damage even with Crushing Battle Axe +4 (STR 40, VIT 25, END 26) and sticky white stuff. Don't want to cheese him out so i'm going to wait.

Forgot that i also have world 5 left. (fuck 5-2 !)

Yasawas

Aaaaaaaaand? Did you try it? :p
It works. Fists destroy the skeletons.

It's amazing, thanks!

I made some nice progress on this yesterday before remembering if you're going for the platinum you need to be suiciding in the Nexus after each revivial. Noooo. I think I must be one notch short of PWWT in Stonefang and I'm not going online so that big sword will have to wait until NG+ now.

kick51

Banned
I'm dying way more on 5-1 than I ever did in Blight Town. maybe playing DS1 on PC with a good frame rate and draw distance contributed to my lack of trouble there

Donos

Was through 5-1 in around 4 minutes but 5-2 ... holy shit who made that level. Seriously, you don't know where you are, you can't roll or move fast in the swamp, a roaming black phantom with meat cleaver on your neck who can roll in the swamp and these huge dudes (giant depraved ones) who maul me with their clubs while i can't roll -_-. They also take all my stamina and stagger/stun me when i block (adjudicator shield). Way to few islands to fight them properly.

Most frustrating part of the whole game so far.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you're fighting in the swamp, you're doing it wrong. Lure the BP on those small islands (where you find the war scythe IIRC) and fight it there, then she's piss easy. The giant ogres are always a pain though, but if you fight it on the island it's way more manageable.

Incidentally, if you're blocking with the Adjudicator shield, you're also doing it wrong. ;) That shield is good as an accessory on your back for the HP regen, but it's shit for blocking. Either get a good shield (knight shield upgraded, or steel shield if you have the 18 str to wield it) or just dodge.

Donos

It's clear that i can't fight the BP in the swamp but the islands are pretty scarce so i avoided it the last time with thief ring and the "anti-BP" ring.

Have the adjudicater with me because i don't want to use Royal Lotus every 5 seconds. The Adjudicater keeps the poison at bay.

But since i have like 76 Royal Lotus on me, i'm going to take my Purple Flame Shield +3 with me next time.

Still get lost in this level.

Edit: ah silly me, you can still run in the swamp (sprint) -_-. That makes it easier to fight the giants. Now i feel stupid.

Well, he killed me with his sword and not with a fireball. Also missed to hit him when he did cast his Regeneration spell.

Old King Doran is not better. Almost every direct hit is one hit kill. I only make 20-30 damage even with Crushing Battle Axe +4 (STR 40, VIT 25, END 26) and sticky white stuff. Don't want to cheese him out so i'm going to wait.

Forgot that i also have world 5 left. (fuck 5-2 !)

Try Greatsword on Doran. I killed him in NG+, dealing something like 70 damage each time, but by two handing I pancaked him with each hit. Just keep him off his feet and victory achieved.

Horp

Anyone got any advice on how to kill the damn flying mantas in the later parts of shrine of storms? Like when you have to run along the side of the cliff, to get to old hero boss. I can kill them by manually aiming my bow but it takes so much time..

Yasawas

I've never bothered... I did that level yesterday and I'm sure they never attacked me when I had the Thief Ring on so you could try that.

Donos

Thx, yea I read about the thiefs ring tactic. But I want to kill them :p

Yeah, they only casually attack when you have thiefs ring which i have equipped for 95 % of my playthrough.

You can lock on to them when they are close and use Soul Arrow / Bow.
The give a good bunch of souls.

Yasawas

Made myself a coffee, got some cake, had a good Twitch stream running in the background and settled into the couch for at least two hours of Bladestone farming and the fucker dropped first time. Can't believe it. Umbasa.

kick51

Banned
jesus, i just wrecked the flamelurker first try. a few years ago, i played as a royal and swear it took a ton of tries and looking up strats and everything to beat him. I was pretty scared going in, but Blessed Mace +1 and some good armor made him kind of free.

Top Bottom