• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Booshka

I don't remember as the playthrough is more than a year old. All I know is that he's not anywhere he's supposed to be, and Mephistopholes thinks that he's alive.

Time to call Agent Scully and Mulder.
010-the-x-files-theredlist.jpg

Gaz_RB

what part?

Well you know when you've gotten to the boss of an area, and then you die, and then you want to just hurry back to the boss of the area? But then you're being impatient so you make silly mistakes and get yourself killed over and over and over again and get angry and post on GAF about how much Demon's Souls makes you angry? That was happening in 5-1 for me. I detest that level haha.

But I took a break, watched some GoT, and then beat it on the first try on my return. On to 5-2, though I'm thinking of going back to 4-2 or 2-2, but I've heard 2-2's boss is pretty hard.

Donos

Fucking seriously... OKD just healed himself all the way when he was almost dead.

I had not the patience to beat him fair anymore. Had him almost down with around 15% health of him left and then i got stuck on a corner and the raped me. Used the thieves ring/backstab way to bring him down.
He didn't really took much damage with every hit from me although i had Crushing Claymore +5 +Sticky White Stuff and Soul lvl 180 or so. One OP m****therfucker.

Also what you had with OKD i had with BP Satsuki. He heals even more frwequent than OKD. So i soulsucked him (which didn't raised my CWT, which was my aim).

Gaz_RB

Holy shit. This game just clicked like I've never had a game click before.

After getting my ass handed to me for like 15 hours, I finally have a grasp on this damn game. Killed Flamelurker, Maneater, and the Penetrater straight without dying, first time. I'm going light, and my strat is usually to just roll around most the time, striking quick with the Crescent Falchion+4, double handed. It's working reaaally well.

I finally understand the Souls game. Can't wait to go and finish Dark Souls 1 and 2 after this.

Booshka

Holy shit. This game just clicked like I've never had a game click before.

After getting my ass handed to me for like 15 hours, I finally have a grasp on this damn game. Killed Flamelurker, Maneater, and the Penetrater straight without dying, first time. I'm going light, and my strat is usually to just roll around most the time, striking quick with the Crescent Falchion+4, double handed. It's working reaaally well.

I finally understand the Souls game. Can't wait to go and finish Dark Souls 1 and 2 after this.

Fast rolling and 2 handing your weapon is the best way to play these games, glad you are having fun and doing well with it.

Gaz_RB

Fast rolling and 2 handing your weapon is the best way to play these games, glad you are having fun and doing well with it.

Thanks man. I have a question.

I'm being invaded by someone with a tornado on his head, and he keeps breaking all my shit, and draining my soul level, and he wont die. What is going on?

I've been fighting him for like 40 minutes now haha

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

I'm being invaded by someone with a tornado on his head, and he keeps breaking all my shit, and draining my soul level, and he wont die. What is going on?

Erm... is that in 3-3? Some other player is trolling you.
You can fight that boss offline, it'll be an NPC invader.

Gaz_RB

Erm... is that in 3-3? Some other player is trolling you.
You can fight that boss offline, it'll be an NPC invader.

Yeah! I eventually just quit and came back. I was still online, but I got someone else and took him down.

Just beat the game. The last boss was pathetic... Also, what is a good place to read up on the lore? Or is it mostly open to interpretation? I'd like to know more about the Maiden Astraea and other things like that.

Toxi

Banned
Yeah! I eventually just quit and came back. I was still online, but I got someone else and took him down.

Just beat the game. The last boss was pathetic... Also, what is a good place to read up on the lore? Or is it mostly open to interpretation? I'd like to know more about the Maiden Astraea and other things like that.
NPC dialogue reveals the most. For example, the clerics in the Nexus and the filthy woman in the Valley of Defilement talk about Astraea. You can also look at item and spell descriptions and the descriptions on the various archstones.

The story is left somewhat open to interpretation, but most of the details are there. The most ambiguous stuff is
anything to do with the Old One, God, and the Maiden in Black.

Also, think of the last boss as a mirror to the boss of 1-4; what King Allant once was, and what he now is.

ChipotIe

Banned
Havent played in like 2-3 years. Decided to give it another go. Kept 3-1 for last.

Now I'm in 3-1 with no other choice and I'm hating it. I'm not good with areas with repeated assets. Fallout 3 subways and 3-1 are my bane. 2 hours trying to make my way through 3-1 and counting! What makes it worse is how dark it is. I can't see 3 feet ahead of me and I always get frustrated and speed things up.... eventually falling into a hole and having to start all over again.

Soulhouf

Havent played in like 2-3 years. Decided to give it another go. Kept 3-1 for last.

Now I'm in 3-1 with no other choice and I'm hating it. I'm not good with areas with repeated assets. Fallout 3 subways and 3-1 are my bane. 2 hours trying to make my way through 3-1 and counting! What makes it worse is how dark it is. I can't see 3 feet ahead of me and I always get frustrated and speed things up.... eventually falling into a hole and having to start all over again.

You can make the miracle "Anti magic field" from the Storm Ruler soul if you still have it.
It makes the area a lot easier since these Mind Flayers become completely inoffensive.

Donos

Best example why i played that boss and most of the game offline :)

Jaeger

Playing this after not playing it since it first came out. It feels brand new. I don't remember a damn thing.

Currently feeling under-leveled, and in World 1-3 getting my ass kicked. Went to 3-2 and killed Yurt for dat Armor. hating World and Character Tendency, along with sex specific Armor Sets. I want the Binded Set, which I can't even access with the World Tendency not being Pure White. And even once I do, I started this game with a male character, so I couldn't even wear it.

This game is still a masterpiece though, and still seemingly very active! That's crazy. I still see people running around, and I even got invaded once so far. Glorious FROM Software.

Soulhouf

This game is still a masterpiece though, and still seemingly very active! That's crazy. I still see people running around, and I even got invaded once so far. Glorious FROM Software.

I noticed that during the last 2 weeks online activity increased in the game. I wonder if Bloodborne has something to do with that...

PranooY

Fellas, I've played Dark souls and Dark souls 2 in its entirety and done NG+ too...
I had started Demon Souls 2 years ago, but didn't complete due to other issues. (Beat like 2 bosses). So my question which is the most awesome build. ;)
I love dexterity build, but it was seriously nerfed in Dark souls 2. Is Quality build any good? What abt Magic build? And Str build?

Any tips?

Soulhouf

All the "main path" builds (crushing, sharp, quality, crescent, blessed) in Demon's Souls are pretty powerful.
They didn't do the same goofy stuff as in DS2. The scaling in particular is so rewarding here.

Fellas, I've played Dark souls and Dark souls 2 in its entirety and done NG+ too...
I had started Demon Souls 2 years ago, but didn't complete due to other issues. (Beat like 2 bosses). So my question which is the most awesome build. ;)
I love dexterity build, but it was seriously nerfed in Dark souls 2. Is Quality build any good? What abt Magic build? And Str build?

Any tips?

I've played with the amazing Magic/Strength Crescent Falchion build, worked wonders for me! :D

PranooY

All the "main path" builds (crushing, sharp, quality, crescent, blessed) in Demon's Souls are pretty powerful.
They didn't do the same goofy stuff as in DS2. The scaling in particular is so rewarding here.
I went with strength build knight. Could you enlighten me what the other builds are?

Btw since I'm going for physical damage, which stat should I mainly concentrate on? Which should I ignore?

Btw Parry is amazing in this. DS2 parry sucked.

Soulhouf

I went with strength build knight. Could you enlighten me what the other builds are?

Btw since I'm going for physical damage, which stat should I mainly concentrate on? Which should I ignore?

These are the names of the upgrade paths.

Crushing = strength (S)
Sharp = dexterity (S)
Quality = both str and dex (C/C)
Crescent = magic (S scaling with MP regen)
Blessed = faith (A scaling with HP regen)

Upgrading is a lot more complex than in Dark Souls since it's not linear, you can't apply every upgrade on every weapon and each type of build requires specific stones.

PranooY

Only 2 rolls right?
Fast for Equip burden < 50%
And slow- fat roll, if greater than 50%.
Is there any faster "equip burden <25%" roll?

Edit: I killed the red dragon which flies over the Phalanx Archstone bridge. Is it good for anything other than consuming for souls?

EasyMode

Only 2 rolls right?
Fast for Equip burden < 50%
And slow- fat roll, if greater than 50%.
Is there any faster "equip burden <25%" roll?

Edit: I killed the red dragon which flies over the Phalanx Archstone bridge. Is it good for anything other than consuming for souls?

Yes, only 2 rolls. Nothing for <25%.

Since there is no poise stat, there's no point in wearing heavy armor. Although some weapons' 2-handed R2 attacks are armored, like great axes or the halberd.

The dragons souls have no uses besides consuming.

Booshka

Cap your STR at 34, 2 handed scaling falls off after that. Level Vitality, Endurance and a little bit of Dex to get some weapon requirements. 12-16 for Dex imo. Make everything you can Crushing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You can do it in 5-2 with little handicap :p
I'm disappointed, you're starting to forget this game Morrigan.
Eh? 5-2 still has non-swampy terrain and fast-roll is incredibly useful against those giant depraved ones.

The only reason to fast roll is to gimp yourself for the lulz (which I've done, 4-2 in PBWT with a kite shield and level 20 is very very amusing).

Fat rolling can be "good" for learning a new style/weapon. My second character was a Temple Knight and I was able to master the halberd because I was two handing it and couldn't rely on blocking or rolling.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My second character was also a temple knight, and I removed pieces of armour (and eventually replaced them with lighter pieces) until I could fast roll... so I don't understand the post above me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What is this souls tendency stuff? How do I make it pure white so that I can use Demonbrandt?
Kill named black phantoms (e.g. Satsuki, Miralda, etc.) or black phantoms players (invaders or BPs summoned from a red sign). You can only do the former in Pure Black World Tendency (you need to die in body form 7 times to go from PWWT to PBWT, and also return to the Nexus to register the WT shift... annoying), and the latter when you haven't cleared the area boss and online is active.

PranooY

Kill named black phantoms (e.g. Satsuki, Miralda, etc.) or black phantoms players (invaders or BPs summoned from a red sign). You can only do the former in Pure Black World Tendency (you need to die in body form 7 times to go from PWWT to PBWT, and also return to the Nexus to register the WT shift... annoying), and the latter when you haven't cleared the area boss and online is active.
But from what I read Satsuki appears in 4-1, only if you have Pure white tendency.

Demon Souls is lot more confusing than Dark souls 1 or 2.

But from what I read Satsuki appears in 4-1, only if you have Pure white tendency.

Demon Souls is lot more confusing than Dark souls 1 or 2.

The World Tendency (and Character Tendency) certainly is, but like Covenants, none of it is necessary to complete the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm talking about the swamp obviously.
But why would you wear >50% gear in the swamp and then adjust it to go <50% on the dry land? Might as well go <50% all the time since it's better in every way and there are no downsides.

Each world has one named NPC (Miralda, Scirvir, Rydell, Satsuki and Selen Vinland, in order from 1 to 5) which appears in human form in pure white world tendency (PWWT) and as a black phantom in pure black world tendency (PBWT). Killing the humans lowers your character tendency (CT) towards black, and killing the BP shifts your CT towards white. Killing the human version doesn't affect the spawning of the BP and vice-versa (each will appear if at the correct the WT regardless of whether or not you killed the other version or left it alive).

To get pure white character tendency (PWCT), you need to kill black phantoms. These BPs can be either the black phantom versions NPCs I mentioned, or by killing black
phantom players (invaders or players summoned from a red soul sign).

And yes, World Tendency and Character Tendency stuff is a bit confusing. Fortunately it's all optional stuff, normally you don't have to worry about it at all.

Soulhouf

But why would you wear >50% gear in the swamp and then adjust it to go <50% on the dry land? Might as well go <50% all the time since it's better in every way and there are no downsides.

I don't switch to <50% as long as I'm in the swamp part.
I typically never use this strategy, but since I got destroyed by that MeatCleaver BP at SL1 multiple times, wearing Yurt's set helped me a lot to beat her at SL1. Since then I was doing that even when I'm not SL1 because it made that part easier without losing anything other than the stamina regen speed.

BTW it seems that Bloodborne hype contribued to bring many people to play this game again because I'm seeing much more activity in the last 2 weeks especially in the Japanese and US versions. It can't be coincidence <3

BTW it seems that Bloodborne hype contribued to bring many people to play this game again because I'm seeing much more activity in the last 2 weeks especially in the Japanese and US versions. It can't be coincidence <3

Soulsgiving comes early this year?

Maybe I should make a new character...

PranooY

I hate Valley of defilement. Its too tough to swing my long ass weapons and I don't have any decent small weapons. :(

Its too challenging for pure crushing melee.

Donos

I hate Valley of defilement. Its too tough to swing my long ass weapons and I don't have any decent small weapons. :(

Giant deprived ones are the only problem. Lure them 1on1 to islands where you can maneuver, and there they are easy fooder for Crushing Claymore +5. Avoided the Meatcleaver BP because there was no good island in close proximity.

Soulhouf

Shields are OP in this game when you play str build.
Bring one with high stability and you're pretty much invincible even in the swamp.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Giant deprived ones are the only problem. Lure them 1on1 to islands where you can maneuver, and there they are easy fooder for Crushing Claymore +5. Avoided the Meatcleaver BP because there was no good island in close proximity.
There is one, actually. It's near where you find the war scythe IIRC. I always fight her there.
Shields are OP in this game when you play str build.
Bring one with high stability and you're pretty much invincible even in the swamp.
Except against
BP Selen Vinland
... ;)

Firebrand

Hello. I've played DS1 and DS2 and I'm about to start Demon's Souls.

What do I need to know coming from the Dark series? I hear dex builds aren't crap, there's inventory weight and lizards are gone forever if I don't get them. Anything else, non-spoilery? Cheers in advance.

Donos

What do I need to know coming from the Dark series? I hear dex builds aren't crap, there's inventory weight and lizards are gone forever if I don't get them. Anything else, non-spoilery? Cheers in advance.

Don't start with Royal (has Soul Arrow / Silver Catalyst from the beginning which is easy mode).

gogosox82

Well there's more stuff but that would ruin the fun of finding out for yourself : P If anything comes up that your not understanding, just post in this thread and I'm sure people would be more than willing to help. Just play and have fun :)

jimmyd

I'm also about to start Demon's after having played DS1 and 2. Is it still likely to find people to engage in some jolly co-op?

Top Bottom