• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Just restarted Demon's after finishing DS1. Has anyone ever noticed that there are way more white phantom ghosts, bloodstains, and messages in this game compared to DS1? I know it's a PS3 exclusive, but there must be at least 3 times as many network-related things going on. I hope the PvP isn't dead.

It has an actual dedicated server for the region, instead of using P2P connections, so you can see and participate in network features more readily.

Donos

Just restarted Demon's after finishing DS1. Has anyone ever noticed that there are way more white phantom ghosts, bloodstains, and messages in this game compared to DS1? I know it's a PS3 exclusive, but there must be at least 3 times as many network-related things going on. I hope the PvP isn't dead.

Also Demon's Souls got a big boost from PS+.

Soulhouf

I also love the red phantom ghosts that show the last seconds before death.
They have a lot more impact than the translucent white ones used in Dark Souls.

daninthemix

Maneaters are giving me severe trouble, mainly because of the cheap, CHEAP way in which they can initiate a second attack while you're still on the floor, waiting to regain control from the previous.

Far be it for me to insinuate that Miyazaki is a raging S&M enthusiast who spends much of his free time getting his raw arse paddled while chained up in leather gimp attire.

Donos

Maneaters are giving me severe trouble, mainly because of the cheap, CHEAP way in which they can initiate a second attack while you're still on the floor, waiting to regain control from the previous.

Far be it for me to insinuate that Miyazaki is a raging S&M enthusiast who spends much of his free time getting his raw arse paddled while chained up in leather gimp attire.

Where do you fight them? It helps when you have something between you and them so fighting at that flame is a good spot.
Had more trouble in NG+ with them because in NG i played through Latria as last world and was already overleveled.

daninthemix

Where do you fight them? It helps when you have something between you and them so fighting at that flame is a good spot.
Had more trouble in NG+ with them because in NG i played through Latria as last world and was already overleveled.

Hmm, maybe I should leave it and tackle another world. Come back when I've levelled more (currently 38). Thing is I'm not doing enough damage either with spells or with my Dragon Longsword +3. Tried two-handing the DBS and though it does 500 dmg per strike, it's too slow and gets me killed from their reciprocation.

Donos

Hmm, maybe I should leave it and tackle another world. Come back when I've levelled more (currently 38). Thing is I'm not doing enough damage either with spells or with my Dragon Longsword +3. Tried two-handing the DBS and though it does 500 dmg per strike, it's too slow and gets me killed from their reciprocation.

Well Dragon Longsword is a very good weapon. Played 3/4 of my first playthrough with the Dragon Longsword +4 till i switched to Crushing Battle Axe and finally found my true love with the Crushing Claymore.

Do you manage to cut the tail off? That makes it easier. With the Claymore R2 attack it went off pretty fast.

I think there is a way to kill the first one through the fog. Check the wiki. Or just come back later. I think i was around 55 with a pure STR build. DMG output was pretty high and their attacks didn't take that much of my HP when they hit me.

Tarkus

Well Dragon Longsword is a very good weapon. Played 3/4 of my first playthrough with the Dragon Longsword +4 till i switched to Crushing Battle Axe and finally found my true love with the Crushing Claymore.

Do you manage to cut the tail off? That makes it easier. With the Claymore R2 attack it went off pretty fast.

I think there is a way to kill the first one through the fog. Check the wiki. Or just come back later. I think i was around 55 with a pure STR build. DMG output was pretty high and their attacks didn't take that much of my HP when they hit me.
I'm glad the Claymore was the first thing I bought. It was my favorite weapon in DS1. Even though its moveset in Demon's is limited, it still seems awesome and makes me feel overpowered. For a quality build, is crushing better with the Claymore? I might leave DEX alone is crushing is better with this weapon.

daninthemix

Nah don't wanna cheese him through the fog door, even though he is an unsporting git. I'm tackling 4-2 now so I'll return with better levels.

EDIT: came back much later brimming with new abilities. I one-shotted the first maneater with firestorm, then did the same to the second. Magic is a lifesaver in this game, but in Dark Souls 1 and 2 I never touched the stuff.

EDIT 2: Game complete @ SL79. I let the maiden
wander into the Old One for the good ending.

jimmyd

Just finished Demon's Souls. I started a week ago and I'm bummed it's over now. Enjoyed it more than Dark Souls 2, and even like the graphics better. Went through completely solo, found most of the bosses pretty easy. My main issue was those big club-wielding bastards in Valley of Defilement, absolute bastards. I really love the accent of the Maiden in Black, but can't tell what it is, anyone know?

Soulhouf

Just finished Demon's Souls. I started a week ago and I'm bummed it's over now. Enjoyed it more than Dark Souls 2, and even like the graphics better. Went through completely solo, found most of the bosses pretty easy. My main issue was those big club-wielding bastards in Valley of Defilement, absolute bastards. I really love the accent of the Maiden in Black, but can't tell what it is, anyone know?

Well, she is voiced by Evetta Muradasilova who seems to be originated from Eastern Europe.
Putting non native English speakers voice actors for some characters was brilliant.

Donos

Have you beaten Old King Doran? The true Demon's Souls starts with him :p.

Nordicus

Havel could never comprehend the level of "Backstab, parry or go home" that Old King Doran was.

The Old One can't sleep without help because it witnessed Doran at <50% health and it's giving it nightmares

HF2014

Just wondering people. What was your most "wow" moment with all the games of the series?

Ill go with my choices:

Demon's Souls. The first time i met and beat the Tower Knight. I mean, i was soo impress to see that boss, and like after 10-12 tried, with only melee, i swing my last stroke and defeated him. I was a fan of this game. I can also give a second place to the first time i beat Tower of Latria and the final boss, Fool's Idol. I mean, all the atmosphere of the stage, the boss itself, it was so dark and creepy!

Dark Souls: First time i see the giant wolf, Sif. Man what was that, a huge Wolf fighting you with a giant sword??? I loved fighting that boss. After about 10 time, he was finally done. I started really enjoying Dark Souls. Second goes well, with no doubt, Smough and Ornstein.

Dark Souls 2: Im going to give my first boss, and wow moment of the game, at fighting the first encounter of Royal Rat Vanguard, the small one. I mean, how claustrophobiac was that to being stuck there, with all those rats, smashing and smashing, and not being sure for what to do. Forgive me, but after only 3 tried like, i decide to look the web for answers.Why? Well simply because, i dunno, i wanted to finish it as fast as possible. I was maybe not in it? I cannot point a second place. Overall, i cannot just say that this game hook me even more to the serie.

So, what were you wow moments of the Souls series?

Donos

I missed him the first time, so went to him in NG+. Backstabbed him to around 30% health then he did a full heal. I'll let him live for now :p

He spanked me many times...
Then i fought him with a maxed Crushing Claymore + sticky white stuff at SL70 or so and got him to around 10 % of his health, always keeping him close so that he couldn't heal himself (never used a parry shield in DeS). That alone took around 10 minutes or so. Then i had a camera fuck up at a wall and tripped. He killed me instantly. The scream i released that day was not human.
In my rage i used the Dradon Bone Smasher Backstab "glitch" to finish him. Still feel filthy for that.
Going to challenge him in NG++ again for a fair duel. This day won't be pretty but i'm not going to stop till i get him. Now that i use parry a bit more in DaS, maybe i'm going to try it with him ... but missing the parry ...

I-hate-u

Sorry for the bump, but I am getting increasingly frustrated with the pure bladestone drop. That black double weilded skeleton is being cheap and only dropping shards and soul remains. I have been farming him for hours. Is there anyway else to get the pure bladestone?

Sorry for the bump, but I am getting increasingly frustrated with the pure bladestone drop. That black double weilded skeleton is being cheap and only dropping shards and soul remains. I have been farming him for hours. Is there anyway else to get the pure bladestone?
Have someone drop it for you?

spliced

Inspired by a LP on Youtube I played through this again. I originally played it after DaS and while I liked it I felt it was a big step down. Last time it took me awhile to get used to the feel of combat, but this time I acclimatized much quicker since I had just been playing DS2 and this game's combat and controls have a much more similar feel to DS2 than is does to DaS imo.

This game toys with me because I like the first area the best but it's all downhill from there. It has a more closed in cramped feeling(worlds 2 & 3 especially) which I didn't enjoy. World 2 is very tedious, The miner and bug enemies are pretty boring(those bugs take forever to kill) and the platform dropping, fire walking and extensive crystal lizard hunting is all annoying.

World 3-1 is ok but 3-2 is terrible, all I'm doing is focusing on killing enemies the safest way possible so I don't fall. Then the liquid area below is just a boring time waster. I don't mind the enemies but the level design is terrible.

World 4 is my second favorite. I hate the flying Manta Rays but other than that I really like it.

5-1 isn't bad, it's not my favorite but I don't mind it. 5-2 is basically the worst area in any Souls game(really From you won't let me roll?!). This area is so awful I'd even rather go through Lost Izalith than this. This is a prime example of how just making something a challenge isn't good enough, there has to be some level of fun or enjoyment to go along with it.

One thing this game did do very well is boss variety, that is the area it beats the Darks.

Soulhouf

I guess it's a matter of taste but I enjoyed all the areas. Sometimes I like the fact that they sacrifice the gameplay to serve a purpose related to the lore/world.
Here is a good example why world 3 and 5 are so great IMO(from this interview) :

GI: There are two extremely difficult areas in the game that I just need to ask about, two zones where I really struggled. First off, there's 5-2, the swamp area in the Valley of Defilement. In this level you need to move through a swamp that slows your movement, makes you unable to roll, and frequently poisons you. In addition to that, the powerful enemies in the area move at full speed. This was really tough! Why did you decide to make this area so hard? Are there any tricks to getting past it more smoothly?

HM: Rather than calling them difficult, it’s more appropriate to say there are two areas that were meant as “places of evil intent.” The first one is the Tower of Latria (man-made evil) and the second is the Valley of Defilement (natural evil). The difficulty level of Valley of Defilement 2 was born from this idea. We made it a swamp that no one would even want to set foot in. It’s one of my personal favorite (and most hated) areas, so I might’ve overdone it! (laughs)

This is my big issue with DS2. They made a lot of compromises for the sake of "gameplay" and enjoyment.

gogosox82

No. You could try the ones in 4-1 to see if you have any better luck. But I was never able to get it w/o the large sword of searching honestly.

Inspired by a LP on Youtube I played through this again. I originally played it after DaS and while I liked it I felt it was a big step down. Last time it took me awhile to get used to the feel of combat, but this time I acclimatized much quicker since I had just been playing DS2 and this game's combat and controls have a much more similar feel to DS2 than is does to DaS imo.

This game toys with me because I like the first area the best but it's all downhill from there. It has a more closed in cramped feeling(worlds 2 & 3 especially) which I didn't enjoy. World 2 is very tedious, The miner and bug enemies are pretty boring(those bugs take forever to kill) and the platform dropping, fire walking and extensive crystal lizard hunting is all annoying.

World 3-1 is ok but 3-2 is terrible, all I'm doing is focusing on killing enemies the safest way possible so I don't fall. Then the liquid area below is just a boring time waster. I don't mind the enemies but the level design is terrible.

World 4 is my second favorite. I hate the flying Manta Rays but other than that I really like it.

5-1 isn't bad, it's not my favorite but I don't mind it. 5-2 is basically the worst area in any Souls game(really From you won't let me roll?!). This area is so awful I'd even rather go through Lost Izalith than this. This is a prime example of how just making something a challenge isn't good enough, there has to be some level of fun or enjoyment to go along with it.

One thing this game did do very well is boss variety, that is the area it beats the Darks.

I think I am the exact opposite. Was never a fan of Shrine of Storms especially that gauntlet you have to go through in 4-2. But I loved Latria. The best part about Latria was how atmospheric and daunting it felt. You could tell some bad shit went down from the moment you enter the level. There's something to be said about creating an atmosphere that may not be the best to gameplay wise, but is very interesting from a lore/world building perspective and I think Latria and the Valley are prime examples of this.

Loving the game, but its so hard for me to actually sit down and play it.

I've been making some progress (1-1, 2-1, and I assume I'm close to 3-1 boss) when playing. However, its as if I have to be in a certain mindset to even jump into it. Can go a week or two between play sessions.

Does that seem strange? At this rate I will have completed the game by the end of next year. :-(

Donos

Oh shit, that's really exactly me except 5-1 which is not as bad as 5-2 but still shitty.

Nordicus

First level after the tutorial. Died halfway through. Realized there are no checkpoints. I'm done, at least for today.
Mmmm, yes and no. The archstones work as hard checkpoints, and you unlock shortcuts back, so keep your eyes open. Some stages are "do it in one go" affairs but the first proper stage isn't one of those.

Donos

Mmmm, yes and no. The archstones work as hard checkpoints, and you unlock shortcuts back, so keep your eyes open. Some stages are "do it in one go" affairs but the first proper stage isn't one of those.

The problem is that from the beginning to the second archstone
Phalanx
is where you learn the combat and the area so it feels like an eternity till you reach the "checkpoint" safe. That's why i had a four month break after constantly dying in 1-1. After that break i read some good tips up on the wiki and took it really slow. Then it clicked.

daninthemix

First level after the tutorial. Died halfway through. Realized there are no checkpoints. I'm done, at least for today.

I said exactly the same thing myself. The next day I picked it (and myself) up again and proceeded to complete the game in 2 days. It'll worm its way into your psyche if you're not careful...

In my opinion, if you can make it through 1-1 and 1-2, beating the Tower Knight, then you are ready for everything else the game has in store for you.

Ambitious

I said exactly the same thing myself. The next day I picked it (and myself) up again and proceeded to complete the game in 2 days. It'll worm its way into your psyche if you're not careful...

In my opinion, if you can make it through 1-1 and 1-2, beating the Tower Knight, then you are ready for everything else the game has in store for you.

Second attempt: FUCKING BOULDER TRAP
Third attempt: Words cannot describe the satisfaction of beating the boss. I need a break.

Took me a while to get across the bridge guarded by the dragon. I was too scared to go too far; I wasn't sure if it was actually possible to fully cross it without getting roasted.

Unrelated to 1-1:
  • I still have trouble getting the timing for parrying/countering right, so blue knights are a nightmare. I beat one of them conventionally, but that was sheer luck.
  • Not being able to pause the game sucks.
  • What's with the text below the fullscreen messages? For example, "You shall obtain the Demon Soul" right below "THE DEMON WAS DESTROYED". It's almost illegible. Is it the game or my screen?

daninthemix

Unrelated to 1-1:
  • I still have trouble getting the timing for parrying/countering right, so blue knights are a nightmare. I beat one of them conventionally, but that was sheer luck.
  • What's with the text below the fullscreen messages? For example, "You shall obtain the Demon Soul" right below "THE DEMON WAS DESTROYED". It's almost illegible. Is it the game or my screen?

I think I abandoned parrying same as in the other Souls because the consesequences of missing it are too severe. Just make sure your weapon is in the best state it currently can be (in terms of upgrade) so that blue knights and such can be taken out without hassle (there are many materials in 2-1, in fact if you complete stage 2 entirely I believe you could have a +5 Fire Longsword which is good for the rest of the game).

Yeah, that text was unreadable for me too (playing at 1080p).

Donos

I think I abandoned parrying same as in the other Souls because the consesequences of missing it are too severe. Just make sure your weapon is in the best state it currently can be (in terms of upgrade) so that blue knights and such can be taken out without hassle (there are many materials in 2-1, in fact if you complete stage 2 entirely I believe you could have a +5 Fire Longsword which is good for the rest of the game).

Yeah, that text was unreadable for me too (playing at 1080p).

Tried parry 4-5 times and never used it again. The shield i used for the rest of the game also had no parry (STR build). Also do you mean the Dragon Longsword in world 2 (has fire damage)? Yeah, one of the best weapon for first playthrough.

Tried parry a bit more in Dark Souls against Black Knights / Silver Knights which is rather easy when you know all their moves but it's still not worth for me.

Tarkus

Unrelated to 1-1:
I started this game long ago and never finished. I then played 120 hours of Dark Souls and learned the combat system very well. Parrying is difficult to do and only slightly useful in PvE for me. Backstabbing is the golden technique that will have you destroying blue eyed and red eyed knights in no time. I didn't even know about backstabbing when I first started Demon's long ago.

The text is too small. I think it says something about slayer of demons blah blah blah.

Funniest line: "touch the demon inside me.........art thou done?"

This game just taught me a tough lesson... Always carry repair stones with you.

My Weapon just broke right outside of 2-2 boss. Seems like I'm stuck. Can't find a way out after I dropped all the way down. :-(

Donos

This game just taught me a tough lesson... Always carry repair stones with you.

My Weapon just broke right outside of 2-2 boss. Seems like I'm stuck. Can't find a way out after I dropped all the way down. :-(
In the deadend cave where 3 rockworms spawn (where you probably fell) is a ladder at the wall. You can work your way up there.easy to miss.

Flamelurker down on the first pull! Had some close calls and used a lot of grass.

I've been going into this game spoiler free which has turned out to be rewarding...if not frustrating at times. Ended up losing about 30k souls getting to him though. :-(

Tarkus

Flamelurker down on the first pull! Had some close calls and used a lot of grass.

I've been going into this game spoiler free which has turned out to be rewarding...if not frustrating at times. Ended up losing about 30k souls getting to him though. :-(
There's a major shortcut to get to him. Bwahahaha

Tarkus

Yeah but it's a mistake to use it if you're a melee build - the materials you find during the normal walkthrough of the level is invaluable for upgrading weapons your first time through.
Well yeah, but without a guide or someone telling you about it, it's likely to never be found for future playthroughs. I wouldn't advise using it if someone has never gone through 2-2.

greyshark

Well yeah, but without a guide or someone telling you about it, it's likely to never be found for future playthroughs. I wouldn't advise using it if someone has never gone through 2-2.

Heh, actually my first time through I went right instead of left and ended up dropping to the boss area. I didn't realize where I was, found the ladder up, and ended up unknowingly working my way up the level until I got to the beginning again. Whoops :)

This might be a stupid question but is it possible to play multiplayer between copies of different regions? My buddy started to play recenty but he's got the PAL version where as mine is an import NA copy bought before Euro release.

greyshark

This might be a stupid question but is it possible to play multiplayer between copies of different regions? My buddy started to play recenty but he's got the PAL version where as mine is an import NA copy bought before Euro release.

Different servers, so I believe you can't.

Soulhouf

You can't unfortunately.
There are 3 different severs: Asia, America and Europe and each one is managed by a different company (SCEJ, Atlus, Bandai-Namco).

I started playing earlier this week and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Something confusing just happened online, though, so I'm wondering if anyone could explain what was going on.

I was farming souls a bit in 4-1 after beating Flamelurker and got invaded. I fought the black phantom for a while and used some grass just to survive, but he definitely seemed to be out of my league. After a couple of minutes he dropped an item which I picked up without checking since I was focusing on the invader, and then we fought some more. This happened two more times and when I was finally about to let him kill me, the invader retreated.

Afterwards I checked what he dropped and it turns out they were three really good weapons, including a Blessed Knight Sword +5.

Does anyone know what was going on? My best guess is that after a few minutes of fighting the invader started offering me good weapons if I'd let him kill me, but I really don't have much of a clue.

Top Bottom