• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Donos

somehow my PWWT in world 1 doesn't open the gate to executioner miralda in 1-1 (NG+).
Switched online on to get the tendency to almost white and beat king allan (false king) to get it further to white.
The shrine looks exactly like all the PWWT pics i see online -_-.

Jolkien

I decided to start the Souls series. Pretty fun so far I rolled a Royal due to alot of the recommendation online, I will probably go toward more melee focused since I prefer it compared to casting.

I have a question tho, I figured to distract the dragon and go to the lair with the other dragon I snatched all the treasure but I got killed heading back, I then died making my way back there and I lost about 2k5 souls, is it very costly at the beginning or I shouldn't worry about it ?

Jolkien

Alright thanks. I managed to kill Phalanx on my first try (a bit easy with soul arrow). Now I gotta figure where to go next (I already did the part to start leveling)

Jolkien

Went a bit inside 4-1 the enemy are strong even if I block I take a lot of damage. I finally gave up for now until I have a better shield and weapon and I went to 2-1 and I cleared the armored spider. I also found a steel shield (100% damage reduction) and I brought up my strenght to 18 to equip it.

Should I start upgrading gear now or it's better to wait ?

And oh god I just went back to world 4-1 I managed to kill a red eye metal skeleton and I found a Crescent Falchion +1 way stronger than the Bastard Sword or the Great Club. Awesome !

Donos

Went a bit inside 4-1 the enemy are strong even if I block I take a lot of damage. I finally gave up for now until I have a better shield and weapon and I went to 2-1 and I cleared the armored spider. I also found a steel shield (100% damage reduction) and I brought up my strenght to 18 to equip it.

And oh god I just went back to world 4-1 I managed to kill a red eye metal skeleton and I found a Crescent Falchion +1 way stronger than the Bastard Sword or the Great Club. Awesome !

Crecent Falchion +1 is one of the best weapons if you put points into magic. It scales with magic.

Nordicus

You can start right now, especially since you got that crescent falchion and that might carry your melee fighting to the end of the game as a caster.

Keep a pure physical weapon around too, because if you hit an enemy with high magic resistance, your falchion is going to have a bad time

Jolkien

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I'll go back a bit later this week as I have too much to do right now. This is a riveting game I'm really digging it so far.

I decided to start the Souls series. Pretty fun so far I rolled a Royal due to alot of the recommendation online, I will probably go toward more melee focused since I prefer it compared to casting.

I have a question tho, I figured to distract the dragon and go to the lair with the other dragon I snatched all the treasure but I got killed heading back, I then died making my way back there and I lost about 2k5 souls, is it very costly at the beginning or I shouldn't worry about it ?

My advice is to worry about souls BEFORE losing them rather than afterwards if worrying is to be done.

You're already making the right conlusions and asking the right questions; you're halfway to victory.

Donos

Only the friends ring is missing for the ring trophy but my character level ist still not even neutral. Killed BP Miralda and Scivir but fucked up Satsuki. He was not really a problem 1- on-1 but he always managed to heal himself after i chipped away all his health for minutes.
Then i just soulsucked him but read afterwards that soulsuck kills of BPs don't change your Character tendency to white ;_;.

So i have to kill at least another 5-6 named BPs to get to PWCT and get the ring... that means NG++ ;_; (not really a problem since i only have Stormking as boss left in my NG+)
Fuck that Platinum but this is the only Platinum i probably will ever get and want for PS3.

Well i also still have no Pure Bladestone...

Soulhouf

Only the friends ring is missing for the ring trophy but my character level ist still not even neutral. Killed BP Miralda and Scivir but fucked up Satsuki. He was not really a problem 1- on-1 but he always managed to heal himself after i chipped away all his health for minutes.
Then i just soulsucked him but read afterwards that soulsuck kills of BPs don't change your Character tendency to white ;_;.

So i have to kill at least another 5-6 named BPs to get to PWCT and get the ring... that means NG++ ;_; (not really a problem since i only have Stormking as boss left in my NG+)
Fuck that Platinum but this is the only Platinum i probably will ever get and want for PS3.

Well i also still have no Pure Bladestone...

Now it's too late but it's always easier to go pure white C Tendency before going pure black.
With that said, you need more than 3 playthroughs to get the platinum anyway so that shouldn't be a problem :p

Donos

Going to NG++ soon and kill the named BPs again. Hopefully thats enough for PWCT. Glad that they are all in the first world and at the start except Scivir.

Then only few things and farming the last pure stones is left. Maybe i will luck out with the Pure Bladestone like i did with some others. Didn't choose the easiest game for my first plat.

Endo Punk

I have a character that's SL64 and I need to get about 34 levels sucked out of me. If someone can help with that then pm me with PSNID. Thaaaanks.

Toxi

Banned
Started a new game, rolled up a green-haired Temple Knight, beat Vanguard, Phalanx, Red Dragon, and Tower Knight. I'm getting a bit sick of the Halberd; any early game weapons with fun movesets I can use alternatively? I was thinking either Claymore, Blessed Mace, or Crushing Battle Axe.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Claymore is a good choice. Going faith build? A blessed claymore wrecks absolutely everything. Avoid the mace and battle axe, they are rather pitiful. A better small weapon would be the knight sword, but it's found in 1-4 (not sure if you can buy one before that).

Toxi

Banned
Claymore is a good choice. Going faith build? A blessed claymore wrecks absolutely everything. Avoid the mace and battle axe, they are rather pitiful. A better small weapon would be the knight sword, but it's found in 1-4 (not sure if you can buy one before that).
The Dregling Merchant sells it in 1-3 and the Red-eyed knights with swords there drop it.

Thanks for the tip. Might go to the Valley of Defilement anyway to see if I can grab some Faintstone.

Soulhouf

The Dregling Merchant sells it in 1-3 and the Red-eyed knights with swords there drop it.

Thanks for the tip. Might go to the Valley of Defilement anyway to see if I can grab some Faintstone.

Guillotine Axe is fantastic too. Very fast and powerful weapon that you can make "blessed".

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
For PvP the guillotine axe is garbage, though it might serve for PvE. I can't think of any reason to use that over the knight sword. The knight sword has a much better moveset and range and is just as fast.

Booshka

So, on my two STR builds one at SL 69 and one at 119 with 30 and 50 STR respectively I am wondering what kind of upgrade I should take a Compound Long Bow with my 12 DEX.

I have one at +10 right now and get pretty good damage out of it, but was wondering if going Quality would be better, even though I am going to keep my DEX at 12. Maybe Quality will be good for 50 STR build, but not 30?

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Soulhouf

So, on my two STR builds one at SL 69 and one at 119 with 30 and 50 STR respectively I am wondering what kind of upgrade I should take a Compound Long Bow with my 12 DEX.

I have one at +10 right now and get pretty good damage out of it, but was wondering if going Quality would be better, even though I am going to keep my DEX at 12. Maybe Quality will be good for 50 STR build, but not 30?

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

I didn't find a situation where quality upgrade for that bow to be a better choice TBH.
If you're low on DEX, keep it normal path and if you're running a quality build which means you have high DEX, the Sticky path is way better.

The Lava bow is pretty good also if you increase your DEX to 16.

@Morrigan Targaryen: Everyone his things I guess. I played a long time with all sort of weapons for faith and the Guillotine Axe remains my favorite for both PvE and PvP. I don't usually like axes in general but that one has something special.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Booshka: I think the difference is marginal between the two, to be honest. Since your dex is low, +10 is probably better. At best you'll get a very small AR boost, nothing significant.

Soul: Oh sure, I like some lolweapons too, I was just saying that the guillotine axe is pretty much the lowest tier among usable weapons (e.g. not counting completely unviable ones like the Needle of Eternal Agony, hah) for PvP. But I'm also talking about SL 125 organized PvP, not random invasions.

Toxi

Banned
I'll just upgrade both a Guillotine Axe and a Claymore; I already picked up at least one Pure Faintstone from a Crystal Gecko in 5-3 and I'll get another from the Nexus.

Speaking of which, playing through 5-2 so close to the beginning of the game was stressful. I had so many healing items from 1-1 and 1-2 I just constantly healed to tank the poison. I used the Thief Ring to pass the giant depraved ones unmolested, thank God. The worst part was when I reached the shortcut to the beginning of the level; I accidentally fell off chasing the Crystal Lizard and had to make the journey through 5-2 again.

I can only imagine how hellish 4-2 is at a low soul level; at least you can avoid the worst enemies in 5-2.

Donos

40 min of Pure Bladestone farming and no luck. Killed the BP Doube Blade Red Eyed Knight around 15-20 times. Hope i don't need 3 hours for it -_-

At least with soulsuck i don't need to fight that fucker every time.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I can only imagine how hellish 4-2 is at a low soul level; at least you can avoid the worst enemies in 5-2.
You want hellish? Try those sections at low level, fatrolling (or, alternatively, no shield), normal (+10) upgrades only, and... PBWT.

My friend and I were trying 4-2 PBWT, level 20, he with no shield and I as fatroller (since low-level I didn't have enough str for a big shield either so I used the kite shield xD). It was... interesting. :D Those BP skellies don't fuck around. And for once, even coop was hard!

Toxi

Banned
You want hellish? Try those sections at low level, fatrolling (or, alternatively, no shield), normal (+10) upgrades only, and... PBWT.

My friend and I were trying 4-2 PBWT, level 20, he with no shield and I as fatroller (since low-level I didn't have enough str for a big shield either so I used the kite shield xD). It was... interesting. :D Those BP skellies don't fuck around. And for once, even coop was hard!
Dear God, that sounds like hell.

Black phantoms giant depraved ones are way tougher than I remember. Killed a few of them while farming faintstone and I don't think I could fight two at once... Not in a million years.

EDIT: Are the servers down for anyone else?

Donos

I think i'm losing my breath to platinum this fucker.
Farmed the Pure Bladestone for over two hours but no dice. I use the Hidden Passage Knight in 4-2 + Firestorm which is way faster and easier for me compared to the 4-3 backtrack BP Knight with Soulsuck and Reaper.
Reading up the randomness of this drop doesn't help. Some needed 15 min with luck of 4, some farmed it for 40 hours plus with luck 60 (or 8 or 2 or 99.. doesn't matter).

I also still need to kill 5 named BPs again to get the damn friends ring.

Bought Dark Souls for 18 € yesterday and when this arrives, i think i'll will give up on the trophy for Demon's Souls :(

Maybe i will search someone who will give me the two items.

Soulhouf

I think i'm losing my breath to platinum this fucker.
Farmed the Pure Bladestone for over two hours but no dice. I use the Hidden Passage Knight in 4-2 + Firestorm which is way faster and easier for me compared to the 4-3 backtrack BP Knight with Soulsuck and Reaper.
Reading up the randomness of this drop doesn't help. Some needed 15 min with luck of 4, some farmed it for 40 hours plus with luck 60 (or 8 or 2 or 99.. doesn't matter).

I also still need to kill 5 named BPs again to get the damn friends ring.

Bought Dark Souls for 18 € yesterday and when this arrives, i think i'll will give up on the trophy for Demon's Souls :(

Maybe i will search someone who will give me the two items.

Yeah I once got it first try with a base luck (see the previous page).

BTW this is a common mistake people do. Luck has no influence on the pure bladestone drop. Luck only increases the odds for an enemy to drop something and since that black skeleton always drops something, it doesn't change anything.
The only factor that increases the quality of a drop is the world tendency.

leroidys

So I need literally ONE more item to get my platinum - the foe ring.

The problem is, I need to kill Ostrava so that I can get the mission to kill Yuria, but I can't find Ostrava anywhere, went all the way to the end of 1-4, checked the inital spot you rescue him from and the jail at the towernight, the whole area leading to the penetrator... nothing.

Anyone have any ideas or tips?

Donos

So I need literally ONE more item to get my platinum - the foe ring.

The problem is, I need to kill Ostrava so that I can get the mission to kill Yuria, but I can't find Ostrava anywhere, went all the way to the end of 1-4, checked the inital spot you rescue him from and the jail at the towernight, the whole area leading to the penetrator... nothing.

Anyone have any ideas or tips?

Isn't the first time you see him in 1-1 after the fog gate on top of the wall, fighting in a pit against some normal foes? Then in 1-3 where he roams the gate where the fat hat guy was standing (after you opened the gate). You have to help him there not to die. He patrols the sideway to the ninja guys. Then at last he's sitting at the stairs after the blue dragon.

When he lives, he's sitting in the nexus. If not, he probably died in 1-3 on his patrol.

leroidys

Isn't the first time you see him in 1-1 after the fog gate on top of the wall, fighting in a pit against some normal foes? Then in 1-3 where he roams the gate where the fat hat guy was standing (after you opened the gate). You have to help him there not to die. He patrols the sideway to the ninja guys. Then at last he's sitting at the stairs after the blue dragon.

When he lives, he's sitting in the nexus. If not, he probably died in 1-3 on his patrol.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure that the game thinks that he's alive. When I talk to Mephistopholes she says "Whats the matter? I gave you a simple task!" or whatever. I need to get that mission out of the way so I can kill Yuria.

I haven't really played on this save in over a year, so I don't really remember for sure if I saved him or anything. I just can't find him now :(

FYI you can still complete the quest if he died on his own, you just won't get the reward for that specific kill.

Is there something to do to advance the mission?

EDIT: Sorry everyone, I know that there's a LOT of Ostrava questions, but they all seem to be just about getting his key. I definitely did try google first. Thanks for your help!

Donos

The thing is, I'm pretty sure that the game thinks that he's alive. When I talk to Mephistopholes she says "Whats the matter? I gave you a simple task!" or whatever. I need to get that mission out of the way so I can kill Yuria.

I haven't really played on this save in over a year, so I don't really remember for sure if I saved him or anything. I just can't find him now :(

Is there something to do to advance the mission?

EDIT: Sorry everyone, I know that there's a LOT of Ostrava questions, but they all seem to be just about getting his key. I definitely did try google first. Thanks for your help!

It's totally ok, that's what the thread is about besides me yelling at the Pure Bladestone droprate. Did you check the places the wiki shows under "Found in:"? http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/ostrava (look on the map of the wiki for the worlds. Really well made maps. The location of Ostrava is mentioned there)

Jolkien

Finally had some time to play more, I killed Fools Idol and started clearing 4-1 and I got invaded. My invader took almost no dmg and he did almost none to me, but he broke all my equipement at the same time. Costed me like 10k souls to repair. Not sure what was going on with the damage in that duel either.

RedSwirl

Man. Despite my need to get to other games, I'm really considering starting a new Demon's Souls character having learned what I learned from Dark Souls and Dark Souls II.

Man. Despite my need to get to other games, I'm really considering starting a new Demon's Souls character having learned what I learned from Dark Souls and Dark Souls II.

Demon's Souls is shorter and more straightforward than the Dark Souls games, so if you're in the mood for more Souls you have nothing to lose.

Booshka

Demon's Souls is shorter and more straightforward than the Dark Souls games, so if you're in the mood for more Souls you have nothing to lose.

Also, don't be too hesitant to use the old duping with Thomas glitch to get a build going. I have done 100's of hours of farming for legit characters for years now in Souls games, I earned my ability to glitch for some upgrade materials to get my build going.

Let me know if you want some jolly co op, always up for running through some areas in DeS. I have NA DeS and a character at SL 69, a few 120's and a 175 character.

Yeah, there is an item dupe exploit that you can use to quickly make a character build you want and never have to worry about dying and losing your bloodstain. You can dupe boss souls and stones of ephemeral eyes and stay body form for full health and not really worry about losing progress from invasions.

bobawesome

Got invaded by someone in 1-4 and they send a message hours later asking for help.
I say sure because it's rare enough to find people willing to help you out. He then has the nerve to ask if he can have my armor. Haha...I don't think so.

Aaaaaaaaand Ostrava is nowhere to be found in 1-1 after 20 hours of game time. I'm done with this game for a while, I think.

Jolkien

Adjucator (4-1) and Flamelurker (2-2) down. God 2-2 is so mazy. I was starting to lose my patience every time I died on the boss. It blew my mind when I found a short cut, such a well made game.

RedSwirl

It's just that last time I played through Demon's Souls I really didn't know what I was doing with my character build.

Gaz_RB

So I'm new to the game and have a question.

I'm in Latria's Tower or whatever it is called, and was attacked by a red ghost. Is that a player?

If so, I'm pretty happy because I whooped his ass.

Soulhouf

So I'm new to the game and have a question.

I'm in Latria's Tower or whatever it is called, and was attacked by a red ghost. Is that a player?

If so, I'm pretty happy because I whooped his ass.

If you're talking about the girl with a light crossbow and baby nail (dagger) just before the boss in 3-1, then it's an NPC black phantom.

bobawesome

Contrary to what I posted yesterday, I stayed up for several more hours plugging away at the game. Maiden Astrea and Storm King are probably my favorite fights in the Souls series.

leroidys

Man, checked all the usual places, still no sign of Ostrava. I think my game is glitched :(

Any kind Soul willing to let me hold a foe's ring for a second to get my platinum? Umbasa.

Soulhouf

Man, checked all the usual places, still no sign of Ostrava. I think my game is glitched :(

Any kind Soul willing to let me hold a foe's ring for a second to get my platinum? Umbasa.

Do you remember if you saved him in the previous areas? (1-1, 1-2, 1-3)
I'm afraid you broke his quest line somehow...

Toxi

Banned
Adjucator (4-1) and Flamelurker (2-2) down. God 2-2 is so mazy.
While you already found the short cut, there's also a neat way to find out which direction to go in the tunnels: Follow the tunnels framed by torches and wooden supports. Seems the miners also needed some path markers.

leroidys

Do you remember if you saved him in the previous areas? (1-1, 1-2, 1-3)
I'm afraid you broke his quest line somehow...

I don't remember as the playthrough is more than a year old. All I know is that he's not anywhere he's supposed to be, and Mephistopholes thinks that he's alive.

Top Bottom