• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Donos

jesus, i just wrecked the flamelurker first try. a few years ago, i played as a royal and swear it took a ton of tries and looking up strats and everything to beat him. I was pretty scared going in, but Blessed Mace +1 and some good armor made him kind of free.

I thought he was to easy as a Royal with Soul Arrow. Beat him in my first try (around SL40 or so). Don't want to know how often i would have died with a melee approach.

Had a nice but sweaty fight against Executioner Miralda. Took me around 6 minutes chipping her health away (Dragon Longsword +4 but made only 30 HP damage). One hit from her left me with 1-2 HP and she was fast and rolling a lot, so healing was tricky.

A few levels and upgrades more and i'm going to try Doran again.

Note to myself: don't get cocky when Black Phantom Scirvir is almost dead. Because his 3 hit combo can and still will kill you -_- .... ;_;

Time to say goodby to my Dragon Longsword. Crushing Battleaxe +5 with both hands is finally doing serious business. Red Eyed Knights are melting under the blows.
.... but Old King Doran is still not impressed ;_;. He's a real OG.

Tiops

After playing Dark Souls 2 for about 150 hours, I've decided to play some Demon's Souls to remember/see the differences. And the game still has the better design in the series. Even after playing it a lot and knowing where almost everything is, I can't rush through the levels like I do in Dark Souls 1 and 2.

I get tense in almost every area, Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement still make my hands sweat, even if I'm not dying there (only died once in this new playthrough, to Flamelurker).

Amazing game. I'm going to try some builds, I think I've missed a lot of stuff when I played for the first time.

kick51

Banned
I thought he was to easy as a Royal with Soul Arrow. Beat him in my first try (around SL40 or so). Don't want to know how often i would have died with a melee approach.

Maybe I got lucky, but his attack patterns were just not really a problem and very predictable. maybe i got him stuck in an AI loop.

Just beat maneater for the first time!

the first try went like:
"why do people sweat this guy so m--OHHHH I SEE"

took about 10 tries, the 10th try being after I upgraded the dragon sword to +3 and managed to
get the first one down to about 2 in. of health left before #2 appeared. then i had no problem grass chugging through the second guy.

now i'm at 4-2 and have somehow started dropping to black tendency despite not dying much or killing NPCs or anything

kick51

Banned
ok, 4-2 makes me feel like i'm the worst at video games. but I've got most of it down now and have a system that gets me to the boss door (haven't tried the boss yet.) but seriously fuck the stingrays...that's a bit of RNG I could do without.

Shengar

I get tense in almost every area, Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement still make my hands sweat, even if I'm not dying there (only died once in this new playthrough, to Flamelurker).

I guess it's the result of designing each are as separate level. They have more consistent atmosphere throughout the level by mean of aesthetic especially. We could really used another Souls game with Nexus design approach with refined technical performance that brought from Dark Souls 2 and we will have another Souls game with similar but altogether differently flavored.

Does anyone have the original UK PAL release of Demons Souls ? If so, could you take a photo of the front and back of the box for me ? I want to check what I ordered is the exact same version, and not imported from somewhere else in Europe.

Just me being a bit of a collector and wanting the proper release for my country (and original, blergh at Greatest Hits labelling).

Donos

Fook Old King Doran!. He's still owning my lvl90 STR char. I even got me a nice Crushing Claymore +4 now but i'm still only doing around 32 dmg with sticky white stuff (two handed). Going to pour 5-10 lvls into Vitality now to survive at least one direct hit and then heal and chipp away his health for 10 minutes.
I want to kill him in a legit fight (and then teabag him).

This World tendency stuff is really tiring. Forgot to start the game offline and it changed the black world tendency i had in most worlds. Only have one stone of ephemeral eye on me -_-.

Soulhouf

Fook Old King Doran!. He's still owning my lvl90 STR char. I even got me a nice Crushing Claymore +4 now but i'm still only doing around 32 dmg with sticky white stuff (two handed). Going to pour 5-10 lvls into Vitality now to survive at least one direct hit and then heal and chipp away his health for 10 minutes.
I want to kill him in a legit fight (and then teabag him).

This World tendency stuff is really tiring. Forgot to start the game offline and it changed the black world tendency i had in most worlds. Only have one stone of ephemeral eye on me -_-.

When he does that overhead 2H attack, roll away. It will kill you in one hit.
His one hand attack is easy to parry. So I recommend practicing parry and you'll see that you'll be doing much more damage that way.

kick51

Banned
got Old Hero in about 15 tries.

then went through 5-2 very slowly. first, I was ecstatic to make it to the shortcut. then I decided to try out the boss. Since I'd never heard anyone talk about Dirty Colossus, I figured he'd be free and yeah...ended up being the easiest boss in the game yet by far, first try without even really trying lol

sunnz

Got back into Demon souls after watching DS2 streams.

I don't even want to move forward with the story, I just find farming and exploring already beaten areas A lot of fun.

But I have 1 problem, in the 2nd world I noticed my weapons do like 1/5 of the damage they should do to the enemies there ( Scale Miners especially)

I know they are somewhat resistant to physical attack but I remember before my weaker weapon did a lot more damage to them and killed them in like 2 or 3 hits yet my current weapon ( 4 or 5 times more powerful) does less damage...
Using the weapon that was decent before also does less damage now, so something has changed.
My halberd does 25ish damage but the stats are 135, for example.

Soul arrows obviously are 1 shot kill and do a lot of damage.

I did die in human form but that was in world 4, not 2...

Rolled into the water and lost the brushwood armour...#

I beat Demon's only once, back in 2010 when it came out in PAL territories. I was blown away by it and it remains one of my favorite games of the past generation.

Four years later I have the urge to go back at it again and to a complete sweep (NG & NG+) with a new character now that I'm a "Souls Veteran(TM)" (having beat DS I & II since). :D
The only problem? Those damn World/Character Tendencies. *sigh*

It seems like such a bother and yet I feel like I'm missing half the game by playing online and having a neutral WT.

What's the best approach to this? I was thinking about playing through the game first, but not finishing NG (
working my way all up to Allant, but not beating him
), then replaying every level on PWWT and then on PBWT.
Seems like a lot of work/chore/hassle though... :/

Advice?

Shengar

Yeah, managing World Tendencies is sucks (offline is better than online actually) since moving toward White severely limited by a handful of option that hard to achieve, while Black is very easy considering all you need to do is just kill NPCs or just jumped yourself over the ledge. Mostly the ideal way to do it is PWWT for first playthrough, then grab all the stuffs from PBBT.

Donos

Had Doran down to around 20% of his health in a fair fight (around 10 minutes), then i got stuck on corner and he fucked me up, even with second chance. Raged hard and decided to cheese him out. Equipped Dragon Bone Smasher, Clever Rats ring + thiefs ring and used the backstab > run away tactic. Felt dirty but i can't use my limited gaming time to fight this guy for weeks ;).

Finished the game and played a good chunk of NG+ (really disappointing end boss art design wise).

Best worlds for me 1 >>> 2 > 3 > 4 >>>>> 5 (maybe 2 and 3 are equal - got overhyped for Tower of Latria from GAF but it was just okay)

Found out about the dupping glitch yesterday and lvld some weapons for trophies with it but then stopped because this platinum would be worthless with this glitch. It took away all my desire to play the game further and i'm not really a trophy hunter anyway (don't have a sinlge platinum trophy so far)
Still had 110 hours of legit Demon Souls fun and rage.

Nordicus

Replaying Demon's Souls after a long time, I've found myself not dying as much as I often do in Dark Souls so far, even when I've played the latter far more. My build might be a factor and the order I go through these levels in (go get Blessed Mace for my Priest from 5-1, then bash through World 4 because the skellies don't like blunt weapons)

I hit a little bit of a wall with King Allant because I had my Bastard Sword unequipped and he wasn't really impressed with my mace. There's like 60k souls sitting in his boss room right now, but I think I'll just finish worlds 2, 3 and 5 before coming back again. Only beaten the first level in each.

He's a really different fight in melee. Last time I beat him with a bow, and his long distance attacks are very slow and telegraphed. Kiting was often easy but now I can't really do that.

Donos

During my last playthrough, fight with Penetrator without Biorr's assistance was my favorite fight.

It was so steady, rhythmic, almost like a dance.

Was a total soul arrow royal wimp at that time and never let him close enough -_- , and also had Biorr ...

Maybe in a year or so i will start an new playthrough with a DEX build and no soul arrow and as less bow as possible.

Soulhouf

Wow, I got the Pure Bladestone first try this time. Umbassa!

Bma9htaCAAA13yx.jpg

BTW, I almost forgot how nice the scaling and the upgrade menu are in Demon's Souls. Damn straight.

FromSoft, you should perhaps check this and fix the mess you did in Dark Souls II. Such a regression is unacceptable.

bobawesome

Are there any character creation guides floating around? My guy looked good enough on the character creation screen but ugly as sin in the actual game.

kick51

Banned
I think I only have 1-4 left. the music is different in the nexus.

however, I haven't done much of any upgrading and am still SL70ish, so I might need to stop to grind a little.

I think I'll head straight into NG+ and mess with world tendency. but having not looked at any guides, I don't even know how I would begin doing that. :\

Shengar

Wow, I got the Pure Bladestone first try this time. Umbassa!

BTW, I almost forgot how nice the scaling and the upgrade menu are in Demon's Souls. Damn straight.

FromSoft, you should perhaps check this and fix the mess you did in Dark Souls II. Such a regression is unacceptable.

Yeah they have nice upgrade menu in Demon's Souls then quite messed it up in Dark Souls and went into deeper with Dark Souls II.
I guess that part of Demon's Souls UI are being done by SCEJ rather than FromSoft.

Donos

5 fucking hours (with some breaks) of killing stone worms and no pure greystone

fuck this game, that was stupid.

Farmed only 15 min each for a Pure Greystone (two times) and was always suprised when it dropped. Thought i had to farm 1-2 hours.

kick51

Banned
Farmed only 15 min each for a Pure Greystone (two times) and was always suprised when it dropped. Thought i had to farm 1-2 hours.

Turns out I'm dumb and should've gone PBWT first. I did that and got one in 10 minutes. so, the experience taught me how WT works, which is good.

but now I'm at that Soul Level draining piece of shit boss who I hate with all my heart right at the moment!

I think instead of NG+, I'll roll a whole new character and do all the WT stuff on NG, then go on to the real deal.

Donos

Turns out I'm dumb and should've gone PBWT first. I did that and got one in 10 minutes. so, the experience taught me how WT works, which is good.

but now I'm at that Soul Level draining piece of shit boss who I hate with all my heart right at the moment!

I think instead of NG+, I'll roll a whole new character and do all the WT stuff on NG, then go on to the real deal.

Sounds like my buddy Old King Allant. Best boss <3

ced

After finishing DS2 I decided to try DeS again.

I cleared to and beat first boss with no deaths, it's crazy because I remember dying so much when I first played.

Game looks and feels so much better than DS2 it's astonishing.

Nordicus

Going to the right tunnel after the Armor spider archstone should lead you to the boss quickly, going left will just lead you to extra loot, a lot of it being heavy ore, and a more convoluted way through the level.

I suppose 3-2 and 5-1 would be good places to visit. The former is not all that tough but has one of the hardest bosses in game, and the latter has a lot of ambushes and 1 or 2 difficulty spikes but the enemies shouldn't generally pose a problem.

Going to the right tunnel after the Armor spider archstone should lead you to the boss quickly, going left will just lead you to extra loot, a lot of it being heavy ore, and a more convoluted way through the level.

I suppose 3-2 and 5-1 would be good places to visit. The former is not all that tough but has one of the hardest bosses in game, and the latter has a lot of ambushes and 1 or 2 difficulty spikes but the enemies shouldn't generally pose a problem.

Thanks, I found him quite easily this time, but got crushed. Oh well I'll try again soon.

Nordicus

Beat King Allant on my Faith-based character, and I have to admit that beating him in melee is a lot tougher than ranged. In fact, I almost utilized ranged strategies anyway, stood at medium-long range and baited his slower attacks. I largely hit him once with my Large Sword of Moonlight +1 every time he did that jumping slash or charged up his killer Aoe. He tends to randomly shrug off stagger, so I could never risk doing a whole combo on him, because he could just punish me with a combo of his own that takes 70+ percent off my health bar.

Just a little over 15 hours on this save. I might try to do all Black World Tendency stuff that I can before officially letting my character graduate to NG+. The game's actually quite short once you know generally what to do and are comfortable with the mechanics.

ZQQLANDER

Does anyone know if Demon's Souls is gonna be available digitally on PS4 in the near future? I desperately want to play it, but don't want to buy both a PS3 and PS4.

burgerdog

What's up, I'm a huge fan of the dark souls series and I bought this game yesterday. I haven't played it yet and I wanted to ask if the servers are still online. And things to watch out for in general. General tips without spoiling much.

burgerdog

So this game is $11 digital on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AB7TX8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Should I buy it? Played through a few hours of Dark Souls (13 hours) and I love it so far, but I wanted to check this game out too.

Edit: I should note that my hard drive is quite old so I'm not sure if it'll work 100%. Any one have experience with slowdowns when playing from hard drive?

There shouldn't be any slowdown when playing from the hard drive, it is a lot faster than the bluray drive.

There shouldn't be any slowdown when playing from the hard drive, it is a lot faster than the bluray drive.

Thanks! I got it and it's amazing! I only got to play an hour, but I can totally see why people like it more than Dark Souls. It controls really well.

I made it to the dragon bridge and didn't realize the dragon would kill most of the dudes so I just ran past them until they caught me and I died. Now I need to finish an assignment but I can't wait to get back to it!

Edit: I did experience stuttering during the cutscenes though. I think it's because my hard drive is so old. Anyone know what to do? I've done the reformatting stuff a few times and it helps out briefly, but I don't want to keep needing to do that.

Donos

So NG+ ... 1-1 and 1-2 - no problem ... 1-3 is a real pain again. Weapons maxed, STR, VIT, END all on 50, Doran armor (armor=:lol) and i'm sometimes still have to run away. It's a real love/hate situation that a normal archer or a puny "ninja" can fuck me up if i make a little mistake.

Learned to love Second Chance in NG+ although i don't care about losing souls anymore.

Changed back from my Crushing Claymore +5 to the Crushing Battleaxe +5 because the Claymore is just too slow sometimes and going twohanded without shield against the 1-3 mobs is not the best idea. Also can't swing the claymore in tight spots.

So I beat 1-3 and 5-2 today the latter of which was painfully excruciating with the stupid poison lake which doesn't let you roll. Urgh really stupid, the boss however was extremely easy. I'm still having lots of trouble with 4-2 but it grants amazingly many souls.

Haven't tried 3-2 yet, but I heard it's hard as hell, might try that tomorrow.

It's a fun game, I just beat the first boss and moved on to another world or zone. Having ds1 and 2 experience is helping a ton.

Yep! Me too. I finished 1-1 and 1-2. I had no idea that the tower knight was coming but luckily I had summoned 2 people and they helped me out. I probably would've died instantly haha. So far I think I'm liking it more than Dark Souls, but that could just be because I'm better at it/luckier than I was with Dark Souls when I started.

Also, I read that I should save 1-4 for last? Any reason for that?

Yep! Me too. I finished 1-1 and 1-2. I had no idea that the tower knight was coming but luckily I had summoned 2 people and they helped me out. I probably would've died instantly haha. So far I think I'm liking it more than Dark Souls, but that could just be because I'm better at it/luckier than I was with Dark Souls when I started.

Also, I read that I should save 1-4 for last? Any reason for that?

Well you can't even enter 1-3 until you beat the 3rd level of another zone. Essentially, the "final boss" is in 1-4, but you don't have to kill him last.

5-2 today the latter of which was painfully excruciating with the stupid poison lake which doesn't let you roll.
Finished 5-2 yesterday. Amazing experience. :D Even better than the first playthrough I did 4 years ago.
The lake was shit though. Especially that Meat Cleaver BP. So unfair.
But I smashed her with my Compound Long Bow + 9, bwahahhah

Finished 5-2 yesterday. Amazing experience. :D Even better than the first playthrough I did 4 years ago.
The lake was shit though. Especially that Meat Cleaver BP. So unfair.
But I smashed her with my Compound Long Bow + 9, bwahahhah

Amazing? I found it really really tedious. :D
I just beat 3-3 and 5-3, that Maiden Astraea Boss Fight was really weird in a very melancholic way. I felt pretty touched, which is all kinds of weird as well. :D

Have yet to beat Old Hero, so that's probably next.

Edit: Just finished 2-3 as well. Is there anything I should do before going for 1-4? I heard you can't upgrade your soul level after that? I'm at 77 right now, is that enough?

Top Bottom