• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

PranooY

I beat Flamelurker after using all the medicinal herbs I had and moved to the next area. Damn already the next boss. I got an awesome 300+ damage causing Dragon Smasher or something there. I tried hacking at his fingers, no damage at all.
Took 50% health using a big ass arrow. And he one shot killed me with his breath. Is there another big ass arrow? Am I supposed to kill him before going to 1-3?

Edit: killed him. Easiest boss fight.

Edit: The rings are really useful in this game, compared to DS1 & DS2.

Edit: One guy invaded me now, we fight for a while, then he runs away and kills the black phantoms of my world and drops 5 stone ephemeral eyes and leaves my world..LOL...

I hate the fact that you can only have four characters saved at a time.

Just created a new one because of Bloodborne hype train and had to delete my mage. :(

Firebrand

Don't start with Royal (has Soul Arrow / Silver Catalyst from the beginning which is easy mode).

Well there's more stuff but that would ruin the fun of finding out for yourself : P If anything comes up that your not understanding, just post in this thread and I'm sure people would be more than willing to help. Just play and have fun :)

Cheers. I was planning on going light armor / dex and Royal sounds like it's a magey thing.

Soulhouf

I hate the fact that you can only have four characters saved at a time.

Just created a new one because of Bloodborne hype train and had to delete my mage. :(

I hear you.
Despite having 3 versions of the game, all 3 of them are full and every time I start a new character I have to make the tough decision to remove one.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Again, why not just make an alt? I have two PSNs (MorriganStark and ArrogantSmirk... it's a perfect anagram :D), it's really easy to do and you get more slots. Win-win.

Akainu

I was summoned for the first time by the old monk the other day. I actually thought you had to use a red eye stone at his level which never worked for me, so I was surprised when I got summoned with a blue eye one at the false idol door. It was pretty neat. The first couple of times I just screwed around for a bit and let them kill me. But, when someone came in with a blue phantom I felt a little offended by this and just outright killed the blue when he came through the fog gate his friend seemed to just be a mage so he was easy pickings. I ran into these guys a few times. And killed them all.

Soulhouf

Again, why not just make an alt? I have two PSNs (MorriganStark and ArrogantSmirk... it's a perfect anagram :D), it's really easy to do and you get more slots. Win-win.

Huh.
I already have 4 accounts (JP, US, EUR and Hong Kong) but I only use my main to play games. The others are just there to have access to the PSStore of each region.

Soulhouf

Should I kill patches? He keeps backstabbing me, but at least I get a ring out of it.

You can kill him but you won't get anything unique from his corpse. I don't recommend to do so if you are using a bow since he's the only one who sell heavy arrows.
Also he sells pretty useful items.

PranooY

Blue dragon at 1-4 is a pain in the ass (im a melee only character). Need 400 arrows to take it down. Biorr died and i couldn't even get his armour set, since i died on my way to collect it.

Also Is old monk the easiest boss in the game? I killed him on my first try without any health loss.
Astrea fight was sad. Was heartbreaking to slash her.

2AdEPT

Blue dragon at 1-4 is a pain in the ass (im a melee only character). Need 400 arrows to take it down. Biorr died and i couldn't even get his armour set, since i died on my way to collect it.

Also Is old monk the easiest boss in the game? I killed him on my first try without any health loss.
Astrea fight was sad. Was heartbreaking to slash her.
You can get biorr's armour from a white tendency event in 1-1...need to get pure white though and open a previously locked gate.

Monk can be easy or hard depending on who is controlling him....still the best boss in all souls games when there is enough online traffic.

Its very debatable that Astrea deserves any pity what-so-ever...NPC's are known to lie in souls games......piece it together yourself, or look up the lore on you-tube.

Jolkien

My fat 80 GB PS3 just died on me, lost about 10 hours of progress without backing up my save on the cloud. Not sure I have strength to redo all this progress.

Booshka

My fat 80 GB PS3 just died on me, lost about 10 hours of progress without backing up my save on the cloud. Not sure I have strength to redo all this progress.

You will probably get back to where you were in about 3 hours or less, and you'll do it better and smarter.

Restarting Souls games is perfectly normal and pretty damn fun actually. Don't be too down about it, just start over and you'll back where you were in no time.

Had played DS2 for the past month or so and was loving it! Bought Demons a few years back but it never clicked at all. Decided to go back and give it a go last week. I have absolutely fallen in love, now I see why people call this the best Souls game...it truly is. The art and feel of each zone is amazing. I only have 4-2 and 4-3 to go, done with the rest, but before I finish I don't care how long it takes I am going to get summoned to fight as the old monk. I had no idea what was going on when it said I got invaded but went to fight the boss, I didn't know a player was controlling it until I got a psn message from them. Brilliant fight!! I cannot believe it did not click for me years ago.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
LOL just noticed my tag. How long have I had it? That's brilliant. :)

Any way to change our GAF usernames? I'd prefer Morrigan Stark (I initially registered under that name but I used my personal domain for the email and that wasn't accepted as a valid email domain).

Booshka

LOL just noticed my tag. How long have I had it? That's brilliant. :)

Any way to change our GAF usernames? I'd prefer Morrigan Stark (I initially registered under that name but I used my personal domain for the email and that wasn't accepted as a valid email domain).

PM a Mod, preferably the one that gave you that tag, I'm guessing Dresden.

Prelude.

I think I might have locked the Dragon Bone Smasher permanently or at least it appears so.
Is there any way to get pure white world tendency on world 2 if I already beat the Dragon God? I died only once in human form on 2-1 before the boss (this is my first souls game, I didn't know that I should always play in soul form before that) and I have always played online so I think it might have been that that screwed me up.

Soulhouf

I think I might have locked the Dragon Bone Smasher permanently or at least it appears so.
Is there any way to get pure white world tendency on world 2 if I already beat the Dragon God? I died only once in human form on 2-1 before the boss (this is my first souls game, I didn't know that I should always play in soul form before that) and I have always played online so I think it might have been that that screwed me up.

I'm afraid it's too late to get it for this run.
If your character is around SL100 I'll be glad to give you mine since I don't need it (US/EUR/JP version).

Firebrand

Fuck you, Armored Spider. I don't care if I ate through my Full Moon Grass like candies because it's all I had left, I will never have to deal with you again (well, hopefully!). Seriously, it'd be easier to avoid webs and fire if I could actually see them for more than two frames before they hit me.

Quite enjoying the game for the most part. Animations feel so much smoother than Dark Souls 2 for some reason, the animation cuts are a lot less jarring. The game's kind of eye-straining though, maybe it's just this crappy monitor but some parts of the game (Tower of Latria 1-1 in particular) are really dark with an incredibly bright / high-intensity bloom spot around the character.

edit: Just beat Flamelurker... "easy" boss I guess? Except of course, again, eating all that grass... kinda silly that only real penalty on spamming heals is that you've got buy / grind them afterwards, but I guess they fixed that in the next game already.

Donos

Fuck you, Armored Spider. I don't care if I ate through my Full Moon Grass like candies because it's all I had left, I will never have to deal with you again (well, hopefully!). Seriously, it'd be easier to avoid webs and fire if I could actually see them for more than two frames before they hit me.

Quite enjoying the game for the most part. Animations feel so much smoother than Dark Souls 2 for some reason, the animation cuts are a lot less jarring. The game's kind of eye-straining though, maybe it's just this crappy monitor but some parts of the game (Tower of Latria 1-1 in particular) are really dark with an incredibly bright / high-intensity bloom spot around the character.

edit: Just beat Flamelurker... "easy" boss I guess? Except of course, again, eating all that grass... kinda silly that only real penalty on spamming heals is that you've got buy / grind them afterwards, but I guess they fixed that in the next game already.

Penalty is more the time it takes to use them. Using items and healing in Des and the Estus in DaS is always a risk when in battle.

Only thing they could change up is that the bar doesnt fill up instantly and instead fills up a little bit slower. So you have to time the healing process better and are more in risk.

Firebrand

Penalty is more the time it takes to use them. Using items and healing in Des and the Estus in DaS is always a risk when in battle.

Only thing they could change up is that the bar doesnt fill up instantly and instead fills up a little bit slower. So you have to time the healing process better and are more in risk.
Yeah. On the Flamelurker boss (on NG) though there was so much time between his attacks it wasn't really a challenge to stay alive, more a matter of not wasting too much resources. Grass is probably where most of souls have been going, I guess there's some spots that could be used for farming them as drops, but eh.

Just looked up World Tendency after seeing a few signs about it in-game. Interesting but harsh stuff, I doubt I'll see a white world tendency on my first playthrough.

Donos

If you get online, almost all levels are white world tendency. Kill one or two bosses in this World and it's pure white. Don't forget to kill yourself in the nexus and loose your human form without shifting it to black after a boss fight.

Use only offline play to achive (pure) black World tendency.

Firebrand

If you get online, almost all levels are white world tendency. Kill one or two bosses in this World and it's pure white. Don't forget to kill yourself in the nexus and loose your human form without shifting it to black after a boss fight.

Use only offline play to achive (pure) black World tendency.
Hmm, my character is online and so far I've killed
Phalanx, Tower Knight, Fools Idol, Armored Spider, Flamelurker
. Everything's still regular as far as I can tell. I usually lose my body inside the levels though, so maybe that's why.

Donos

Yeah dying in human body form is -1 towards black in world tendency so do it ine the nexus with falling from high above and then recollect your souls. Bosses killed in world 1 (Boletaria Palace) only count +1 to white for world 1. Same for the other worlds. This pics helps to see at what tendency lvl you are. http://demonssouls.wdfiles.com/local--files/world-tendency/archstones-wt-boletaria.png

Maybe they fiexed it but when i went online, 1 month ago, the world tendency for every world was pretty white.

Luckily there is not so many pure white world tendency stuff to do compared to Pure black.

cj_iwakura

Made a new Temple Knight character. Alexandra killed Vanguard, she's a keeper.

Nothing in any game is as white knuckle as that tutorial fight.

First faith build. Should be fun!

She DECIMATED the red-eye knight and Phalanx.

1-2 or 4-1 next...

Torraz

So i played this at release, but spon dropped it.

Looking at my stats i have no idea what i was going for, but i think i looked up some build.

Is this salvageable? Not sure if i want to can around 18 hours.
vitality 10
intelligence 14
endurance 12
strength 22
dexterity 13
magic 20
faith 18
luck 7
soul level 37

oddly i have the crescent falchio n equipped, alongside a wand

Edit
Alright, i understand. The STR is for the purple flame shield. The faith for the falchion / miracles / blessed weapons, and the magic for magic.

I should probably quickly pump some points into end / vit to increaae my survivability, correct?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's a bit over the place, but it can work. You need to increase VIT and END a lot more, though. You could actually made a very good DBS Mage with those stats. If you pump your str to 30, you can 1h the DBS (Dragon Bone Smasher, upgraded with colourless demon souls), and use an Insanity Catalyst to cast Light Weapon on it, and/or throw fireballs/soul rays as support. If you don't want to use LW and prefer to focus on ranged magic, I'd suggest using the Talisman of Beasts for it, you can also cast Second Chance with it (otherwise you need another equip slot for a talisman) which is insanely good and you'll get more MP for your casts.
For quick melee the crescent falchion is pretty good, but your high STR is wasted on it. It could be a backup weapon though.

I really, really recommend pumping up VIT more though, especially if you use melee a lot, and more END can't hurt unless you're a pure mage.

EasyMode

What are good faith build weapons besides the Moonlight Sword?

I dunno how PvP'ers rate them, but I had fun with the Mirdan Hammer and Crescent Axe. Upgraded to Blessed +5 with an Adjudicator Shield +5 on your back, and you've got 14 HP regen per second. Both weapons have armored 2-handed R2 attacks.

cj_iwakura

I dunno how PvP'ers rate them, but I had fun with the Mirdan Hammer and Crescent Axe. Upgraded to Blessed +5 with an Adjudicator Shield +5 on your back, and you've got 14 HP regen per second. Both weapons have armored 2-handed R2 attacks.

I was steamrolling until 4-2.

Torraz

It's a bit over the place, but it can work. You need to increase VIT and END a lot more, though. You could actually made a very good DBS Mage with those stats. If you pump your str to 30, you can 1h the DBS (Dragon Bone Smasher, upgraded with colourless demon souls), and use an Insanity Catalyst to cast Light Weapon on it, and/or throw fireballs/soul rays as support. If you don't want to use LW and prefer to focus on ranged magic, I'd suggest using the Talisman of Beasts for it, you can also cast Second Chance with it (otherwise you need another equip slot for a talisman) which is insanely good and you'll get more MP for your casts.
For quick melee the crescent falchion is pretty good, but your high STR is wasted on it. It could be a backup weapon though.

I really, really recommend pumping up VIT more though, especially if you use melee a lot, and more END can't hurt unless you're a pure mage.

Thanks for the detailed write up. I doubt I am going to manage this world tendency thing, so the DBS will probably not be in my reach.

Looks like several hours of farming to pump up vit/end as I am at around 8k souls / level.

Donos

Has the stockpile thomas dupe been fixed? Start does not close the window.

It's still there. Just time it right. Smith > choose to buy herbs then when you can change the amount, start walking away slowly > buy window disappears and your evacuate speel gets white from grey > do evacuate and hit "start" > go to stockpile thomas > profit.

daninthemix

Just died to the tower knight and I just don't have the motivation to run back and try again. Dark Souls lure was strong enough to surmount death and repetitious runs, so far Demons is not (for me).

Soulhouf

Just died to the tower knight and I just don't have the motivation to run back and try again. Dark Souls lure was strong enough to surmount death and repetitious runs, so far Demons is not (for me).

If you kill the red dragon, it's a very easy and straight forward run to the boss.
Also you may come back later if you didn't explore the other *-1 worlds yet.

Any thoughts? DOA? No Doran fight for me I guess...

Sorry, no idea.
During the dozens of runs I did he always followed the same behavior (except the very first time where he died).
Did you check in the Nexus? Did you speak to him in the room with the phalanxes?

Red UFO

Any key tips for this game like their are for Dark Souls? E.g. don't go over 50% weight, don't level up resistance, etc.

Finished Dark Souls and my copy of Demon's Souls has just arrived.

cj_iwakura

If you kill the red dragon, it's a very easy and straight forward run to the boss.
Also you may come back later if you didn't explore the other *-1 worlds yet.

Sorry, no idea.
During the dozens of runs I did he always followed the same behavior (except the very first time where he died).
Did you check in the Nexus? Did you speak to him in the room with the phalanxes?

I've never seen him there... didn't know he goes to the Phalanx room.

Donos

Any key tips for this game like their are for Dark Souls? E.g. don't go over 50% weight, don't level up resistance, etc.

Finished Dark Souls and my copy of Demon's Souls has just arrived.

Armor is not upgradeable and really not important, even if you are a melee fighter. A lot of other things (light the weight you mentioned) is the same as in Dark Souls. Leveling characters / weapons is almost the same.

Very important: don't aggro any (important) NPC. There is no mechanic like in DaS to reset them.

Tarkus

Just restarted Demon's after finishing DS1. Has anyone ever noticed that there are way more white phantom ghosts, bloodstains, and messages in this game compared to DS1? I know it's a PS3 exclusive, but there must be at least 3 times as many network-related things going on. I hope the PvP isn't dead.

Top Bottom