• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

cj_iwakura

I started playing earlier this week and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Something confusing just happened online, though, so I'm wondering if anyone could explain what was going on.

I was farming souls a bit in 4-1 after beating Flamelurker and got invaded. I fought the black phantom for a while and used some grass just to survive, but he definitely seemed to be out of my league. After a couple of minutes he dropped an item which I picked up without checking since I was focusing on the invader, and then we fought some more. This happened two more times and when I was finally about to let him kill me, the invader retreated.

Afterwards I checked what he dropped and it turns out they were three really good weapons, including a Blessed Knight Sword +5.

Does anyone know what was going on? My best guess is that after a few minutes of fighting the invader started offering me good weapons if I'd let him kill me, but I really don't have much of a clue.

Some people are just cool like that.

Tarkus

I started playing earlier this week and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Something confusing just happened online, though, so I'm wondering if anyone could explain what was going on.

I was farming souls a bit in 4-1 after beating Flamelurker and got invaded. I fought the black phantom for a while and used some grass just to survive, but he definitely seemed to be out of my league. After a couple of minutes he dropped an item which I picked up without checking since I was focusing on the invader, and then we fought some more. This happened two more times and when I was finally about to let him kill me, the invader retreated.

Afterwards I checked what he dropped and it turns out they were three really good weapons, including a Blessed Knight Sword +5.

Does anyone know what was going on? My best guess is that after a few minutes of fighting the invader started offering me good weapons if I'd let him kill me, but I really don't have much of a clue.
I got a Dragon Bone Smasher this way. The Demon's Souls community is very generous. That hasn't happened to me in Dark Souls.

I beat Demon's Souls over the weekend and decided to give Dark Souls a try to shake things up. I have to say, based on first impressions, I like the way DeS plays much, much more than DaS1. My character is now so sluggish. Did anyway else have an uncomfortable time making the switch?

Donos

I beat Demon's Souls over the weekend and decided to give Dark Souls a try to shake things up. I have to say, based on first impressions, I like the way DeS plays much, much more than DaS1. My character is now so sluggish. Did anyway else have an uncomfortable time making the switch?

The first hour of DaS i felt like the roll had some weird delay compared to DeS. Don't know why.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The first hour of DaS i felt like the roll had some weird delay compared to DeS. Don't know why.
Yup. That's why I was amused by people complaining about Dark Souls II being "slow" or "sluggish" compared to Dark Souls. I kept thinking, no, it's Dark Souls that was sluggish first compared to Demon's! But eventually I got used to Dark Souls just fine, and ditto for DkSII.

Nordicus

Saying that Dark Souls 1 feels more sluggish than Demon's does not suddenly undo how Dark Souls 2 feels significantly more sluggish than either of them. People have different thresholds

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I felt the difference is far more pronounced beween Demon's and Dark, than Dark and Dark II, myself. And I have hundreds and hundreds of hours in both.

Soulhouf

I felt the difference is far more pronounced beween Demon's and Dark, than Dark and Dark II, myself. And I have hundreds and hundreds of hours in both.

Yep I felt the same as well.
At first I thought it was just me but when I went back to DeS after DaS I was shocked how much my character felt light and vivacious.
It's really weird.

I don't mind the slowness of Dark Souls though. I'm used to King's Field and that series was so slow but it gave you the time to be more strategic and methodical when you engage a fight. I like that.

Tarkus

Yep I felt the same as well.
At first I thought it was just me but when I went back to DeS after DaS I was shocked how much my character felt light and vivacious.
It's really weird.

I don't mind the slowness of Dark Souls though. I'm used to King's Field and that series was so slow but it gave you the time to be more strategic and methodical when you engage a fight. I like that.
I felt the same coming from Dark to Demon's. Since I'm no expert on a game's technical side, I thought that Demon's might be 60 frames per second or something because it's so snappy. I looked it up and never found an answer.

daninthemix

I went Dark > Dark 2 > Demon's and found Demon's massively more responsive, but I attributed that to fastroll being available at <50% equip load.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
About to start up this game after finishing up Dark Souls 2 a couple months ago and started feeling an itch for more. I'm kinda glad that it's going to be more punishing than the newer series since DS2 felt somewhat easy.

Edit: Welp, that tutorial boss.

jimmyd

About to start up this game after finishing up Dark Souls 2 a couple months ago and started feeling an itch for more. I'm kinda glad that it's going to be more punishing than the newer series since DS2 felt somewhat easy.

Edit: Welp, that tutorial boss.

You locked on to him?? That was my mistake...

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
You locked on to him?? That was my mistake...

I got stuck against a wall and one cleave was basically the end of that. I probably could have taken him down if I had another chance but ah well, it's not worth the trouble.

I'm following Yoshi-chan's guide on progression and I'm really digging the atmosphere in each level. I'm not sure if the combat is easier or if I just know how to play these games now. Maybe temple knight is just an OP starter.

Fezan

Just ended the game. was much easier later on. But it has more to do with me quitting the game as soon as i died and restarting from last check point. Also still have no idea about world tendency or character tendency. Also never used parry mechanics .
Ended the game with Cresent falchion +4 and Steel shield. What should i chose for new game + ?

Also had so many demon souls left unused

Pancakes

World 4-2 is seriously rage inducing. Everything else has been cake so far.

Power outage when I finally start making progress...about to go full Yoshichan now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shit :lol just try and relax sir!

TnK

World 4-2 is seriously rage inducing. Everything else has been cake so far.

Power outage when I finally start making progress...about to go full Yoshichan now.
For me, 4-2 is the hardest area in any souls game. Dead serious. Beat other areas before going to 4-2. I think I got stuck in 4-2 for maybe 10 hours lol. My mistake was that I was trying to beat it before beating the other areas in the game. I was tackling the stage before it's time.

zewone

Can you guys tell me what I should be working on next?

I currently am on 1-4, 2-4, 3-3, 4-2, & 5-1.

Just made a Crescent Uchigatana +4 tonight. Finally getting an understanding of weapon upgrades in DeS which is way more convoltued than either DS 1 or 2.

Heropon

So I bought this game three weeks ago and I'm slowly playing through it without an usable internet connection, so disconnected mode it is. I've beaten 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 4-1, 3-1, 4-2, 2-2 and 5-1 in that order so I'm wondering what I should do next.

For me, 4-2 is the hardest area in any souls game. Dead serious. Beat other areas before going to 4-2. I think I got stuck in 4-2 for maybe 10 hours lol. My mistake was that I was trying to beat it before beating the other areas in the game. I was tackling the stage before it's time.

If this is true then I think I'm able to tackle everything right now, but I've heard a lot of bad things about 5-2 and if the third world has many more mindflayers I think there is much pain awaiting me.

So I bought this game three weeks ago and I'm slowly playing through it without an usable internet connection, so disconnected mode it is. I've beaten 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 4-1, 3-1, 4-2, 2-2 and 5-1 in that order so I'm wondering what I should do next.

If this is true then I think I'm able to tackle everything right now, but I've heard a lot of bad things about 5-2 and if the third world has many more mindflayers I think there is much pain awaiting me.
I would finish off world 2 or 4, it's advantageous to finish off a world entirely asap imo so you can
lift the fog at end of 1-2 and continue that zone

I think 5-2 and 4-2 are the hardest areas, 4-2 is still annoying to me, and 5-2 feels very long and arduous until you open the shortcut, but VoD is one of favourite zones overall.

Heropon

I would finish off world 2 or 4, it's advantageous to finish off a world entirely asap imo so you can
lift the fog at end of 1-2 and continue that zone

I think 5-2 and 4-2 are the hardest areas, 4-2 is still annoying to me, and 5-2 feels very long and arduous until you open the shortcut, but VoD is one of favourite zones overall.

Thanks for answering. What is interesting enough in
1-3
for me to want to unlock it soon?

VoD scares me a lot even when 5-1 was pretty easy once I managed to try to complete it. The thought of being inflicted with status ailments makes me want to stay away from that place and the expensive price of the items to cure plague doesn't help.

Thanks for answering. What is interesting enough in
1-3
for me to want to unlock it soon?
1-3 and 1-4 are two of the best areas imo, but I guess it doesn't matter when you do them -
there is an NPC to be found that is a magic trainer
, I suppose that's the only reason really. :)

Heropon

Holy shit at
2-3 being entirely a boss fight.
I wasn't expencting that and I was a bit terrified at first, then I proceeded to discover that it was the easiest level. I think that completes the demon quota of the day, I'll think about whether I should go to world 1 or 4 next tomorrow. Now I understand one of the reasons why Red Liquorice told me to
finish world 2 asap, it didn't have as much left as I thought.

Pancakes

Nearing the end of the game just world 5 and 1-4 left to go. I have to say, I'm very happy they got rid of world tendency in the dark series. It makes absolutely no sense unless you go read up a guide about how it works and how to change it. Even then it's dictated based on server medians so you have to play on offline mode to get what you want. It's a mind boggling decision to have story events, items, and other goodies hidden behind this worthless mechanic.

I'm probably going to replay dark souls 1 since I got sick of the game around the end when the level design went to garbage.

Edit: The False King is such an annoying fight...might just need to cheese it with poison.

Heropon

I tried a bit of 3-2 and while the enemies are as dangerous as kitties the layout of the level is very dangerous. Remind me to not move too much while trying to kill foes. After doing a task there I returned to the Nexus and finished world 4. I can't express enough how I love my bow and arrows.

After that I tried 1-3 and almost finished it (I think). I was too reckless while trying to save Ostrava and the knights destroyed me. About
the NPC, I couldn't find it but an enemy dropped some keys so it must be in this level and I'll keep searching tomorrow.

Pancakes

Just finished the game. Absolutely loved it even though it showed its age in many places.I can see why people consider the game to be a classic. I definitely preferred the interconnected worlds of the dark series but I love how each world had it's own unique atmosphere going on.

Now to finish Dark Souls and trudge through the bed of chaos lameness.

This is why I need to get around to playing the Atlus version. Asia version's community was all but dead the majority of my playthrough :/

That being said, something like this DID happen to me in Dark Souls. Got Havel's ring and a Blackknight Greatsword early because of it

oneils

I've ragequit this game a few times (over the past 2-3 years). I never managed to finish, or progress very far (only killed boss of 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 4-1, and 3-1).

Finally picked it up again this past week. I killed Flamelurker and Maneater! Woot!

I've been farming reaper souls and and trying to continue my progression. I'm hoping I can finally finish this thing.

Mogwai

I've ragequit this game a few times (over the past 2-3 years). I never managed to finish, or progress very far (only killed boss of 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 4-1, and 3-1).

Finally picked it up again this past week. I killed Flamelurker and Maneater! Woot!

I've been farming reaper souls and and trying to continue my progression. I'm hoping I can finally finish this thing.
With patience and persistence you'll make it.

Don't rage quit. You need to study the enemy and learn their movesets and attacks.

zewone

So i am planning to head back into this game for my 3rd play through. How is the online community these days ?

I just beat the game for the first time last night and I found one co-op partner and was invaded once in my whole playthrough.

Take that as you will.

Might not be a lot of people doing NG with low level characters.

Heropon

So after I finally avoid the
blue dragon's breath in 1-4
it decides to suddenly change the pattern of attack and OHKO me. Today has been a really frustrating day completing world 5 and then this. These last areas are leaving a bad impression on me and I don't know if I want to finish but there is so little left...

Pancakes

So after I finally avoid the
blue dragon's breath in 1-4
it decides to suddenly change the pattern of attack and OHKO me. Today has been a really frustrating day completing world 5 and then this. These last areas are leaving a bad impression on me and I don't know if I want to finish but there is so little left...

1-4 almost made me quit the game. Use the watershield spell or second chance if your still having trouble reaching the castle. The real rage point will be after you get in the elevator...

Heropon

1-4 almost made me quit the game. Use the watershield spell or second chance if your still having trouble reaching the castle. The real rage point will be after you get in the elevator...

It can't be...

I think my problem was trying to do something difficult after acumulating all that rage in world 5. I still remember that shadow butcher and not being able to do anything... I'll play something easy like Pokémon and come back tomorrow to get my revenge!

Another problem I have is with Second Chance. I wasted all those precious souls in getting miracle slots and it doesn't save me when I need it the most: An enemy does one of those crazy combos where I die twice or when I fall from a high place. That reminds me of that ring that lowers fall damage, when I found it I thought that it should be cool and then I finished reading the description and how it didn't raise the height from which you can fall without dying. Then it became the crappiest ring ever in my mind.

oneils

With patience and persistence you'll make it.

Don't rage quit. You need to study the enemy and learn their movesets and attacks.

Thanks for the encouragement, man.

Since I've picked up last week I have finished 2-3, 2-4, 3-2, 3-3, 4-2, and 4-3. Feels awesome man.

On another note. What do people here think of duping. I saw it in a video. Had no idea how easy it is. so tempting to do for upgrades. Maybe on another playthrough.

Shengar

Gonna start a melee only (except the dragons, fuck those dragons) run using THE claymore. What's the best build for it? Crushing or quality?

YUp, I feel it this way too. But I never complained about since I get used to it pretty quick.

Top Bottom