• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Sullichin

For anyone that enjoys watching blind playthroughs, I just started playing through Demon's Souls blind and had my boyfriend record it for anyone that wants to join in on the adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbL9lFYxEcc&list=PLlIEOF8cuRfLCrDKkDPiaposIGcn2ccI5

I recently played through and beat Dark Souls. It was my first experience with the souls games, but it was not meant to be my last :3 I'm downright hooked at this point. I can't wait to play Dark Souls 2 and I'm eagerly anticipating Bloodborne!

I think I'm doing pretty good with Demon's Souls so far. (Much better than I did when I started Dark Souls at least). I just got to the Tower of Latria though *shudders* so things might be about to change. If you have any tips or hints for someone that has some experience with souls but is new to Demon's please let me know. Try to keep them vague and spoiler free if possible, however!

Non spoiler tips considering you're coming from Dark Souls:
- There's an item carry weight unlike Dark Souls. A ring helps with this. But watch out, if you leave something on the ground and leave the level, it's gone forever.
- Crystal lizards are more important for maxing out weapons. You can cheese them by save/reloading but they are still way more frustrating than DaS' lizards.
- Heavy armor is quite pointless
- Luck is basically as useless as the resistance stat unless you are going for one very specific build.

Shengar

- Luck is basically as useless as the resistance stat unless you are going for one very specific build.

The Blueblood Sword build, and I could said it is quite potent, at least for PvE in NG++.
Blueblood Sword is cool as hell though, second only to THE Claymore.

cj_iwakura

Allant solo with faith build...

ow.

Needs more faith stones. My halberd out damages the Moonlight Sword and the Istarelle, but it's not agile enough for Allant.

It's only +2. You get them from Valley of Defilement, right?

Mogwai

Damn. I caved in and duplicated some Full Moon Grass. It's just a pain the ass to farm souls in this game. I completed the game one year ago so this is only my second character. Materials/consumables are just so much more time consuming compared to Dark1/2.

Am I forever condemned to be a scumbag or what's the general concensus on that Stockpile Thomas trick? As I understand FROM decided not to remove it from the game?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There was very little support for Demon's Souls, almost no patch. There's still a gamebreaking bug in it, I think (if you die at the same time as killing the dragon god, or something, you can't trigger the end-game). Plus that duping trick was discovered quite late, I think the staff was too busy working on Dark Souls to care about support Demon's, sadly.

That said, you can buy that grass infinitely, so I don't think you have any excuse to use the duping trick unless it's strictly for PvP. :p

Sullichin

Damn. I caved in and duplicated some Full Moon Grass. It's just a pain the ass to farm souls in this game. I completed the game one year ago so this is only my second character. Materials/consumables are just so much more time consuming compared to Dark1/2.

Am I forever condemned to be a scumbag or what's the general concensus on that Stockpile Thomas trick? As I understand FROM decided not to remove it from the game?

I duped Pure Bladestone as soon as I got that shit just to drop for people. Even farming normal upgrade materials is too much of a slog in DeS

Donos

Played NG and 3/4 of NG without the stockpile glitch. Farmed for a while and then started the with the glitch for the trophy. I would absolutely not recomend anyone who starts with the game to even try the glitch. It's like starting a shooter game with godmode or unlimted ammo.

After playing the game for 80 hours the normal way, i had experienced everything the game had to offer so using it then was more of a farming shortcut. Duped everything :). Most important was the Maiden Soul (60.000 souls if consumed).

So i say if you are already deep in NG+ or further and want the trophy then go for it.

So I need some shards of sharpstone and the Hoplites aren't dropping them and I don't know where the Filthy man is. I beat all of world 2 so he should be in 2-2 right? I don't think I encountered him in 2-1 though.

cj_iwakura

So I need some shards of sharpstone and the Hoplites aren't dropping them and I don't know where the Filthy man is. I beat all of world 2 so he should be in 2-2 right? I don't think I encountered him in 2-1 though.

He should be right by the bonfire sword at the start. If not, he'll be by the lava deep in 2-2.

AkuMifune

Banned
Lost 160k souls being an arrogant jerk and bringing them to my fight against Old King Allant last night, then lost them permanently running back to get them in a panic.

Been pissed all day about it.

AkuMifune

Banned
I know. :) In all my souls experience I had never lost that much though.

Spent all last night trying to beat Old King Doran. Now he's hostile from the start. I can survive one hit, but not two. I was breezing through this game until I reached these Old King Jerks.

EDIT: Old Kings down. I've never beat Doran legit before. And was drunk beyond belief. Just decided I was going to do it no matter how long it took, stick and move, stick and move. +10 Uchi to the face. Uh!

Back to DS2 I guess, but I kinda like this game more.

JerkShep

My SL1 is winding down, only 1-4, 5-2 and 5-3 left....but man that gauntlet in 1-4 is hard.
I actually didn't have many problems during the playthrough, I even killed the Maneaters at my first try, but 1-4 might break me ahah. At least I do decent damage against Allant, thanks to the Fire Long Sword +5...but one mistake and it's all over.

Zocano

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, why is this game so good.

Was watching the Kay Plays thing and just seeing it all again reconfirms this game as just far and above better than either Dark Souls 1 or 2. It's hilariously not even a contest.

I noticed some of the "smaller" things that just make this game so much better than the other two.

There is no weapon/item upgrading bloat. Or rather it's so small that it makes everything actually fun and useful without making anything feel pathetically weak and useless.

Like, a lot of the unique and boss soul weapons don't have upgrades, or what they upgrade doesn't actually increase damage. Like Bramd only increases resistances for example. The upgrade bloat from Dark Souls just made new weapons always feel completely worthless and the numbers just become silly towards the end.

There are also far fewers items in general in Demon's. So each weapon you find is unique and different somehow and they all become useful in some way.

And Scaling was actually good in Demon's Souls and in turn it made weapon upgrade paths actually interesting. Then they fucked it with Dark 1 and in Dark 2 they followed Dark 1 for the most part.

Speaking of upgrade paths, they were actually cool and varied *because* scaling was so important. You could either go for high scaling paths or paths that gave you good side effects.

This isn't even to mention how sweet each unique weapon was. The Large Sword of Moonlight is far better than its sequels' counterparts. We'll never get an amazing version of Meat Cleaver again, either ):

Finalow

any fellow gaffer on eu servers/with a pal version of the game that got demon's platinum? I was going for the platinum run, I didn't talk to the fucking monumental and at the end of the game, after I got pure white CT, he obviously didn't give me the ring. also I'm having trouble farming some pure stones, and the morrowstone chunks. I guess I could level up luck, but how much would that help really? I was using the sword that doubles the drop rate but again, not sure if it actually helps.
anyone that could trade that stuff? ):

not sure if CT carries to the ng+, but I also need the foe's ring, and for that I need to go PBCT so yeah, even if it does I'd need the other ring.

*fuck pure bladestone.

-

great game, it's been 2-3 years at least from my last 2 runs and I enjoyed it a lot, again. I have to say, I found bosses quite easy this time around (playing offline), and the BP npcs were much harder, lol. dat 5-3 ost. also it still looks very good for a ps3 game, the problem is the frame rate which drops drastically in some sections.
I'll do some pvp and 3-3 summons when I'm done with the platinum, if I manage to get it and if the eu servers aren't completely empty that is.

Booshka

any fellow gaffer on eu servers/with a pal version of the game that got demon's platinum? I was going for the platinum run, I didn't talk to the fucking monumental and at the end of the game, after I got pure white CT, he obviously didn't give me the ring. also I'm having trouble farming some pure stones, and the morrowstone chunks. I guess I could level up luck, but how much would that help really? I was using the sword that doubles the drop rate but again, not sure if it actually helps.

not sure if CT carries to the ng+, but I also need the foe's ring, and for that I need to go PBCT so yeah, even if it does I'd need the other ring.

*fuck pure bladestone.

-

great game, it's been 2-3 years at least from my last 2 runs and I enjoyed it a lot, again. I have to say, I found bosses quite easy this time around (playing offline), and the BP npcs were much harder, lol. dat 5-3 ost. also it still looks very good for a ps3 game, the problem is the frame rate which drops drastically in some sections.
I'll do some pvp and 3-3 summons when I'm done with the platinum, if I manage to get it and if the eu servers aren't completely empty that is.

Paging Soulhouf, he has Platinum on all versions of the game.

I am NA only sorry, good luck

Finalow

finally got those chunk of marrowstone, for 6 runs or so those mosquito enemies didn't drop a single item even with the sword of searching and PBWT.

now I just need pure bladestone, clearstone (Ostrava died, gg. not sure if I can get it in ng+ when I go there to free Yuria?) and one of those 2 rings.

cj_iwakura

finally got those chunk of marrowstone, for 6 runs or so those mosquito enemies didn't drop a single item even with the sword of searching and PBWT.

now I just need pure bladestone, clearstone (Ostrava died, gg. not sure if I can get it in ng+ when I go there to free Yuria?) and one of those 2 rings.

In all the times I've beaten the game, Ostrava's gone off without a hitch maybe twice. Way too many variables.

And I'm US too, not sure I can help.

Finalow

uhm, I think that I'm not even pure white, I might have missed the monumental question and this too. I'm reading that if you kill BPs with poison/death cloud it doesn't count towards the PWCT. (I used death cloud for Selen)
really game, really?

and looking at it, my character's chest looks slightly less shiny than this,

purewhitecharacter.jpg

I don't know, killing random BP invaders could help?

Donos

haha, i wanted to help you like a gaffer helped me but after loading up my save i see that i have killed every npc after gaining my platinum. Even stockpile thomas and he has/had all the things you need. Sorry.

Only things i still have on my char (slvl 154, EU):
Pure: Marrowstone, Moonlightstone, Darkmoonstone, Faintstone
Some rings but all easy obtainable.
boss Souls: 2 iron, 1 Silver, 91 False King, 1 swollen demon's, hero, doll, mixed, wriggling, eroded, hard, dragon, grey and 76 colorless demon's souls

Finalow

haha, i wanted to help you like a gaffer helped me but after loading up my save i see that i have killed every npc after gaining my platinum. Even stockpile thomas and he has/had all the things you need. Sorry.

Only things i still have on my char (slvl 154, EU):
Pure: Marrowstone, Moonlightstone, Darkmoonstone, Faintstone
Some rings but all easy obtainable.
boss Souls: 2 iron, 1 Silver, 91 False King, 1 swollen demon's, hero, doll, mixed, wriggling, eroded, hard, dragon, grey and 76 colorless demon's souls
any chance that you didn't deposit friend's ring or foe's ring? :p

thanks anyway.

Donos

any chance that you didn't deposit friend's ring or foe's ring? :p

thanks anyway.

Like i said, i checked for the things you need but i stored almost everything at stockpile t before i killed them all. Just thief's ring and some other trash ring are on my character. Sorry.

Soulhouf

*fuck pure bladestone.

-

I should still have the character I platinumed the game with on my EUR version and I would be happy to help.
My PSN ID is "Soulhouf".

Regarding character tendency, it's possible to achieve both pure white and black in a single playthrough by going pure white first then pure black by killing NPCs.
And yes, character tendency carries over to NG+ and beyond.

BTW, if you have Demon Brandt, it's an excellent way to tell if you are at pure white or not. It gives +130 physical and +110 magic attack when your CT is pure white.

Zocano

In all the times I've beaten the game, Ostrava's gone off without a hitch maybe twice. Way too many variables.

That's really weird to hear. I've gone through the game *several* times and I've never had that storyline (unintentionally) fail.

Only time it "failed" was for Mephistopheles.

Finalow

I should still have the character I platinumed the game with on my EUR version and I would be happy to help.
My PSN ID is "Soulhouf".

Regarding character tendency, it's possible to achieve both pure white and black in a single playthrough by going pure white first then pure black by killing NPCs.
And yes, character tendency carries over to NG+ and beyond.

BTW, if you have Demon Brandt, it's an excellent way to tell if you are at pure white or not. It gives +130 physical and +110 magic attack when your CT is pure white.
thanks, I'm going to add you later and when you're available we can trade.

Is this Garl Vinland dialog only triggered if you are in human form?

I'm talking about these lines.

You will not turn back, will you?
I shall let no harm come to dearest Astraea.
May you rot in the deepest depths of this swamp.

How dare you persist in intruding upon our haven.
You abandoned us long ago; what right do you have?
We live humble lives. Leave us be!

Donos

After beating the game awhile back i realized that i really want the platinum, i started a female barbarian, let's see how i do.

Getting the friends ring is tricky. Good luck with the pure bladestone drop... Dark Souls platinum is not half that difficult.

Zocano

Getting the friends ring is tricky. Good luck with the pure bladestone drop... Dark Souls platinum is not half that difficult.

It's so weird to hear people always bring up pure bladestone.

It only took me maybe 2 or 3 hours of farming to get it.

Donos

It's so weird to hear people always bring up pure bladestone.

It only took me maybe 2 or 3 hours of farming to get it.

Some need 10 minutes, some 50 hours. You got lucky. Droprate is damn low. I farmed it probably around 5 hours or more. With both dual katana skeletons.
If you read some "researches" around the net about PBS, it really has a shitty droprate. 2 hours or less is probably more on the rare side.

Loxley

Grabbed this on sale from PSN - it's the first Souls game I've decided I'm going to give an honest shot. I played a bit of Dark Souls on the PC a while back but got side-tracked fairly quickly with other games I was more interested in at the time.

I keep going back and forth on how much research to do before progressing (just completed the tutorial). I decided to go with the Temple Knight for my class since that just looked interesting (and I tend to like playing the paladin/holy warrior classes in RPGs). For all I know that could have been the worst possible thing to do, but I managed to successfully pull off the parry + reposte combo twice in the tutorial so I'm feeling good about myself :lol

EasyMode

I keep going back and forth on how much research to do before progressing (just completed the tutorial). I decided to go with the Temple Knight for my class since that just looked interesting (and I tend to like playing the paladin/holy warrior classes in RPGs). For all I know that could have been the worst possible thing to do, but I managed to successfully pull off the parry + reposte combo twice in the tutorial so I'm feeling good about myself :lol

Temple Knight is good choice for a melee character. I recommend taking off parts of that heavy armor to get your equip burden under %50, which lets you fast roll. Evasion is more important than the minor damage reduction you get from heavy armor.

The halberd you start with is quite good 2-handed. Handy for damaging or guard-breaking defensive enemies. If you attack so the tip just reaches an enemy, you'll interrupt a lot of attacks. The 2-handed strong spinning attack tanks through enemy hits.

My Soulsgiving character last year was Temple Knight. Good choice. Strength weapons are best used two-handed, you get a strength bonus, and you can strike shields without rebounding. Learn to alternate between blocking with shield and two handing since for a while you will have fat roll.

Booshka

My Soulsgiving character last year was Temple Knight. Good choice. Strength weapons are best used two-handed, you get a strength bonus, and you can strike shields without rebounding. Learn to alternate between blocking with shield and two handing since for a while you will have fat roll.

Right when I start as Temple Knight I take off Chest piece and Gauntlets so I am immediately fast rolling. Blocking attacks then switching to 2 handed is a great strat if you are rolling fast too, get the bonus damage when they recoil, and stun them until dead with that Halberd.

Right when I start as Temple Knight I take off Chest piece and Gauntlets so I am immediately fast rolling. Blocking attacks then switching to 2 handed is a great strat if you are rolling fast too, get the bonus damage when they recoil, and stun them until dead with that Halberd.

But then your character doesn't look cool anymore.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
But then your character doesn't look cool anymore.
I'm all for Fashion Souls, but you should never, ever, ever fatroll in Demon's Souls. In this case I'd definitely make an exception. And yes, whenever I start with the TK I do the same, though I eventually just equip black leather or other cool-looking light armour.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry gaf but i caved and did the item glitch that lets you have infinite souls, currently trying to farm a pure blade stone with 34 luck and a sword of searching and it takes forever. Even with infinite souls and items this platinum is taking a long time.

Booshka

Sorry gaf but i caved and did the item glitch that lets you have infinite souls, currently trying to farm a pure blade stone with 34 luck and a sword of searching and it takes forever. Even with infinite souls and items this platinum is taking a long time.

The Monumental knows what you did, so now your Pure Bladestone droprate has plummeted even further than usual.

Szadek

Started my 3rd playthrough,this time as a sorcerer.
I never played a spell caster before in the series.This will be interesting.
I guess I should go straight to 3-1 to save the wizard.

Perhabs I will replay Dark Souls after that.
I'm not goona play DS2 again,though.

Donos

luck stat doesn't matter.

The game is not that long when you know what to do.

First time when the game came out 95 hours, second time, this year 30 hours not rushing.

It should trigger as long as you confront him face to face. You might miss it if you don't find him guarding Astraea, i.e. you approached from the side.

Weird… I tried several times in several ways and nothing, so I decided to beat the last two bosses and try to beat Astraea later, and when I came back he said the line.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I finally platinumed demon's souls, kinda of a bitch in certain parts even with infinite items and souls. Now i can finally move on to the superior game, also if someone wants pure bladestones pm because i got a ton, catch is that im pretty high level.

Top Bottom