• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Tarkus

Gonna start a melee only (except the dragons, fuck those dragons) run using THE claymore. What's the best build for it? Crushing or quality?

YUp, I feel it this way too. But I never complained about since I get used to it pretty quick.
Crushing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Gonna start a melee only (except the dragons, fuck those dragons) run using THE claymore. What's the best build for it? Crushing or quality?
YUp, I feel it this way too. But I never complained about since I get used to it pretty quick.
Ditto.

Yeah you can't melee the dragons anyway. As for the claymore, Crushing, Quality or Blessed are all good choices. Quality is stronger eventually but requires equal investment in dex and str, so I wouldn't really recommend it. Crushing scales with STR only, so if you go with a strength build, go Crushing. Use Curse weapon on it to make it insanely powerful. Blessed scales with faith. It cannot be buffed, but it has built-in magic damage, and it regens your HP so it's still very good, especially with an Adjudicator shield on your back (HP regen stacks, the ring also).

Donos

Gonna start a melee only (...) run using THE claymore. What's the best build for it? Crushing or quality?

ONE OF US. Go Crushing. Rockworms before Flamelurker for material farming (there are 6 of them).

Heropon

So I finally cross the stairs under the dragon, kill it with a lot of arrows and soul rays, defeat the old man in the mausoleum while my confidence keeps increasing and then comes Allant and his cheap moves and finishes me without doing any damage to him.

I feel even more frustrated than yesterday because unlike with other bosses that have killed me I have a huge feeling of impotence. And the worst thing is that I have to use that slow elevator again just to get killed! I don't know what to do anymore...

Donos

So I finally cross the stairs under the dragon, kill it with a lot of arrows and soul rays, defeat the old man in the mausoleum while my confidence keeps increasing and then comes Allant and his cheap moves and finishes me without doing any damage to him.

I feel even more frustrated than yesterday because unlike with other bosses that have killed me I have a huge feeling of impotence. And the worst thing is that I have to use that slow elevator again just to get killed! I don't know what to do anymore...

You have killed Old King Doran without problems (non cheese) but struggle with Allant? Ok, Allant is way more agile but still.
Agree on the elevator. Allant is still my favourite boss fight in DeS.

Heropon

You have killed Old King Doran without problems (non cheese) but struggle with Allant? Ok, Allant is way more agile but still.
Agree on the elevator. Allant is still my favourite boss fight in DeS.

I didn't kill him, I just lowered his HP and he told me to take the sword. I suppose I cheesed him though, I casted magic on him and he was not responding so I kept doing that, so I suppose I didn't do it the correct way.

cj_iwakura

I didn't kill him, I just lowered his HP and he told me to take the sword. I suppose I cheesed him though, I casted magic on him and he was not responding so I kept doing that, so I suppose I didn't do it the correct way.

The fight hasn't begun unless you keep attacking him after that.

Donos

:) No problem. He is one of the toughest enemies in DeS in a fair, physical fight. If you keep attacking him after he lost 50 % of his health (where you get the sword) he gets hostile. Fighting him with PBWT was not so nice.
He also heals himself... (WTF moment when i almost had him down)

In the end, after some looooong fair fights where i died with him close to death, i cheesed him too. (Dragon Bone Smasher and Backstabs when he returns to his starting place, over and over).

Ah, I didn't know about that. I wonder what kind of nasty things he can do to me then after what Allant did. I'm very afraid of everything right now.
He fights like a "normal" human. He's a true warrior! No special moves/magic like Allant. But he is pretty tough and his hits strike pretty hard. If you are a master in parry, he's probably no problem. Didn't use a parry shield so....

On my bucket list is "beat OKD in fair fight in NG+".

Mutombo

hi guys, just started demon's souls. Played Dark Souls and DS II before this so hopefully it won't be as stressing as a virgin babying a cow.

However; I died at the tutorial boss and made it to the nexus. My life has halved, and I think I continued to 1-1, the first area with the big wall with the gate in front. I died again.

How do I get my life back, y'all?

Shengar

Holy shit, THE Claymore in Demon's Souls is so massive that they don't even bother to make a sheath for it unlike its Dark Soul counterpart.

I wonder if could do just fine against the miner in Stonefang mine because of their resistance to slash.

zewone

hi guys, just started demon's souls. Played Dark Souls and DS II before this so hopefully it won't be as stressing as a virgin babying a cow.

However; I died at the tutorial boss and made it to the nexus. My life has halved, and I think I continued to 1-1, the first area with the big wall with the gate in front. I died again.

You need to turn human by using a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes.

Be warned that these items are similar to humanity and such in DS1 and 2, and can become rare.

And just like in DS2, you can get a ring that keeps your health up, even in phantom form.

The Cling Ring is in 1-1, and you get 75% of your max health as a phantom instead of 50%.

Donos

You need to turn human by using a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes.

Be warned that these items are similar to humanity and such in DS1 and 2, and can become rare.

And just like in DS2, you can get a ring that keeps your health up, even in phantom form.

The Cling Ring is in 1-1, and you get 75% of your max health as a phantom instead of 50%.

You also get human when you beat a boss. If you are logged in to PSN going human/body form makes you vulnerable to invasions.

If you play offline, it doesn't matter if you are in body form and don't need to bother.

Get the cling ring and stay in soul form. You also deal more damage in soul form !!!

Dying in body form shifts the world tendency 1 to black.

Heropon

So instead of being murdered endlessly by Allant I've created another character to practice with another build so I can learn more tricks about this game and return to destroy him. I've chosen a Templar Knight and I've learned a few things:
  • I hate the halberd.
  • I love the Claymore.
It's funny how can that happen even though the two of them are giant weapons that do a lot of damage but are slow. I suppose it's that charm that an oversized giant sword oozes.

I've just increased my magic to 10 so I can enchant weapons and now I feel invinvible... until I die, which can be pretty soon knowing this game.

One question, what is a good upgrade path for the bow for a character that wants to focus in strength?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So instead of being murdered endlessly by Allant I've created another character to practice with another build so I can learn more tricks about this game and return to destroy him. I've chosen a Templar Knight and I've learned a few things:
  • I hate the halberd.
  • I love the Claymore.
It's funny how can that happen even though the two of them are giant weapons that do a lot of damage but are slow. I suppose it's that charm that an oversized giant sword oozes.

I've just increased my magic to 10 so I can enchant weapons and now I feel invinvible... until I die, which can be pretty soon knowing this game.

One question, what is a good upgrade path for the bow for a character that wants to focus in strength?
You don't need magic to enchant your weapon. Yuria teaches Curse Weapon and doesn't need you to have any stat requirement. :p And Curse Weapon is infinitely preferable to Light Weapon in your case, since it doesn't scale with any stat either. Using a Talisman of Beasts, the HP drain is negligible (if you aren't, well, just offset it with some grass or HP regen gear like Adjudicator Shield or the regen ring -- it's worth it, CW is insanely strong).

For bows on a strength build, I recommend simply upgrading the Compound Long Bow to +10 (or to Quality+5, whichever ore is more easily available).

I just finished my first playthrough and loved it. I'm glad I saved 1-4 for last since
The False King
was probably my favorite boss in the game. I'm a bit surprised I beat it on my first attempt, though. Especially since I was in Soul form when I got there.

Donos

Soulform = with the glow, after you die?

Bodyform = human?
Yeah, bodyform and soulform are the terms. Gets mixed a bit with hollow/human from dark souls.

Beat boss > get back your body form and full health. Die anywhere in bodyform > respawn in soul form with 50% health but more damage output and - 1 shift in world tendency to black.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, bodyform and soulform are the terms. Gets mixed a bit with hollow/human from dark souls.

Beat boss > get back your body form and full health. Die anywhere in bodyform > respawn in soul form with 50% health but more damage output and - 1 shift in world tendency to black.

A caveat: sometimes you can prevent the -1 shift if you don't leave the world.

Donos

A caveat: sometimes you can prevent the -1 shift if you don't leave the world.
Are you sure? I only noticed that it doesn't switch the color of the world monument sometimes but i think thec wt still shifts. Had that just yesterday:forgot to turn out psn before going online and all my pbwt worlds got reseted online. So i killed myself four times after always using a ephemeral stone to shift the world back to black but after the 4th death it still showed the same in the world monument window. After quiting the world and reloading it, it was black instantly.

cj_iwakura

Are you sure? I only noticed that it doesn't switch the color of the world monument sometimes but i think thec wt still shifts. Had that just yesterday:forgot to turn out psn before going online and all my pbwt worlds got reseted online. So i killed myself four times after always using a ephemeral stone to shift the world back to black but after the 4th death it still showed the same in the world monument window. After quiting the world and reloading it, it was black instantly.

There's been times when I've died with an NPC there and I'll go back and he's still there.

Tendency doesn't change until you go back to the Nexus (or reload?), so you can be PWWT, die as many times as you like in human form, it won't change until you go back to the Nexus.

If you're trying to get all the tendency events, it's best to kill yourself in the Nexus (fall from a high spot) after every boss kill, so you're never in human form in a world.

Donos

HaxmUGh.jpg
finally ... first and only platinum trophy i have (out of 820 trophies)

Major thanks to fellow gaffer Aidenkun for helping me with some "rarer" items which didn't drop after countless hours of farming.

5-1 is giving me fits.

Not due to enemies, but the damn terrain. Think I'll need to drop down my sensitivity tonight to save my ass from running off ledges.

Siegmeyer

Hi Demon'sGAF, my first post in any Community here on GAF and I was wondering if any kind soul might be able to help me. I made a thread in Gaming, but it didn't get many responses and in hindsight I'd have been better off posting here in the first place.

I want to do a 100% PBWT run of DeS. Not for difficulties sake, just that on watching a Let's Play recently it occurred to me that I'd only seen a few levels in PBWT, and I got an itch to play the whole game that way.

If I'm remembering rightly, I can't buy Stones of Ephemeral Eyes until I have access to the Filthy Woman in 5-2, but I would need a decent amount of them to get each world to Pure Black before I started (obviously I will be playing offline so the server median doesn't mess it up). Once I have 4-2 and 5-2 unlocked I can just farm souls and buy any I need, but I'd still need Stones at the start.

So either I can try the dupe glitch (never done it before) or a Gaffer with a heart of gold (don't let them take it from you!) could come into my game and drop the ones I need. I just read up on the dupe glitch on the Wiki and it sounds quite convoluted and has a risk of corrupting my save files. Is this true? Is it easier than the Wiki makes it sound?

Either way, any help would be much appreciated.

You mean the Stockpile Thomas dupe trick - it couldn't be easier and never had a problem with it.

1. Equip nexus binding or similar item/spell in hotbar
2. Open up the buy item dialogue with the blacksmith (crescent grass will do), make sure to open up the 'how many window' and just walk away from him to close the buy window.
3. Once his dialogue has ended press square to use nexus binding, then press start to cancel the confirmation window.
4. Talk to Thomas, drop off the item you want to dupe (making sure he doesn't have any of the same item in his inventory already)
5. After you press confirm, mash circle to cancel the evacuate/binding, item will be duped.

That's a long explanation for something that actually is just a couple of button presses and takes abour 5 seconds.

Siegmeyer

You mean the Stockpile Thomas dupe trick - it couldn't be easier and never had a problem with it.

1. Equip nexus binding or similar item/spell in hotbar
2. Open up the buy item dialogue with the blacksmith (crescent grass will do), make sure to open up the 'how many window' and just walk away from him to close the buy window.
3. Once his dialogue has ended press square to use nexus binding, then press start to cancel the confirmation window.
4. Talk to Thomas, drop off the item you want to dupe (making sure he doesn't have any of the same item in his inventory already)
5. After you press confirm, mash circle to cancel the evacuate/binding, item will be duped.

That's a long explanation for something that actually is just a couple of button presses and takes abour 5 seconds.

No, the dupe glitch I read about involved needing a willing phantom and then quitting the game via XMB or something. It sounded way more complicated than just having someone drop stones.

Anyway, this is a nice surprise as it does seem very simple indeed. You get the Nexial Binding at the start of the game don't you? And iirc there is a Stone already in the Nexus, so I should be able to set myself up without any help. Thanks!

Molemitts

I'm huge fan of Dark Souls, so I knew that I was going to check out Demon's Souls at some point. Recently I've been doing just that.

For some reason, I'm just not enjoying it. The game was fun up until 2-2, I would say. Then I went around some of the other worlds. Pretty much all of the bosses I can fight at the moment feel way to high level for me, for example Flamelurker, I do barely any damage to him yet he can stagger and kill me in 2 hits. He's also, like a lot of other bosses, so far from the checkpoint and I can't seem to find any shortcuts leading to them.

I also don't receive many souls from enemies, I don't know if it's meant to be like that but after going all the way through one level I might have enough souls to level up once. I'm at, around level 30, by the way.

My current weapon is the Uchigatana, I used it before in Dark Souls. It's a bit grindy to level up your weapons, but that's not a huge problem.

I also miss Estus Flasks :( but I was expecting that change.

I really want to enjoy Demon's Souls, but I just don't know if I'm missing something, or doing something wrong, or what. So if someone could help me out that would be pretty cool.

greyshark

I'm huge fan of Dark Souls, so I knew that I was going to check out Demon's Souls at some point. Recently I've been doing just that.

For some reason, I'm just not enjoying it. The game was fun up until 2-2, I would say. Then I went around some of the other worlds. Pretty much all of the bosses I can fight at the moment feel way to high level for me, for example Flamelurker, I do barely any damage to him yet he can stagger and kill me in 2 hits. He's also, like a lot of other bosses, so far from the checkpoint and I can't seem to find any shortcuts leading to them.

I also don't receive many souls from enemies, I don't know if it's meant to be like that but after going all the way through one level I might have enough souls to level up once. I'm at, around level 30, by the way.

My current weapon is the Uchigatana, I used it before in Dark Souls. It's a bit grindy to level up your weapons, but that's not a huge problem.

I really want to enjoy Demon's Souls, but I just don't know if I'm missing something, or doing something wrong, or what. So if someone could help me out that would be pretty cool.

Level 30 should be plenty to beat each world's '-1' level - but if you do want to grind for more World 4 is the best for that.

As for Flamelurker, he is weak to magic. There's also a shortcut to him if you go right instead of left from the archstone.

Molemitts

Level 30 should be plenty to beat each world's '-1' level - but if you do want to grind for more World 4 is the best for that.

As for Flamelurker, he is weak to magic. There's also a shortcut to him if you go right instead of left from the archstone.

I don't know any spells, I guess I'll just use Sticky White Stuff ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) to do magic damage. I think I know the shortcut you're talking about, where you go down all the scaffolding? It's pretty annoying since you take damage on the way down it's also easy to miss your jumps and just die.

Roubjon

I started playing this again this weekend for the first time since playing Dark Souls. I always thought I liked Demon's a little more, but after just playing through 5 levels or so, it really cemented those feelings.

I love the Nexus and having that resting area where there's a little community of people. The overall atmosphere is more intense too, which makes the nexus that much more of a break. Also, is it me or is the general movement and combat in Demon's faster than Dark's?

Regardless, Dark Souls is great, Demon's is especially great, and I can't freaking wait for Bloodborne. I also have no idea why I haven't bought Dark Souls 2 yet. I guess I'm kind of just waiting for there to be some PS4 version with all the DLC and better graphics or some shit.

spliced

Flamelurker
You can go on the first bridge tower in 2-1 and slowly kill the dragon with a bow. Then go back to 1-1 where the dragons are and the red one will be gone allowing you to easily get the purple flame shield which makes flamelurker way easier but it has a 22 strength requirement, I've never tried it without 22 strength so I'm not sure how it works if you don't have that.

Souls
If you can get to 4-2 right near the start is a grim reaper that drops a ton of souls. Otherwise the red eye knight in 1-1 can be farmed.

Misc
The heal spell combined with the crescent falchion(which regens mp) is a good help. The crescent falchion is in 4-1 fairly early on. Some people think it's too good like the Drake sword in Dark Souls if you care about that kind of thing.. The thief ring found by where you meet Ostrava in 1-1 can be handy especially in world 4.

Shengar

I love the Nexus and having that resting area where there's a little community of people. The overall atmosphere is more intense too, which makes the nexus that much more of a break. Also, is it me or is the general movement and combat in Demon's faster than Dark's?

Yes, Demon's Souls combat have faster flow than Dark Souls. The reason behind is that Demon's Souls have less stricter equipment burden mechanic than Dark Souls. in Dark Souls, there are 3 degrees of roll (plus one with ring): light roll when your equipment burden is less than 25% IIRC; normal roll when your equipment burden is between 25%-50%; and heavy roll when your equipment burden is more than 50%.

Meanwhile in Demon's Souls there are only two degrees of roll: normal roll when your equipment burden is less than 50%; and heavy roll when your equipment burden more than 50%. The thing is that normal roll in Demon's Souls have the same speed (or slightly slower) than light roll in Dark Souls. The rolling speed mostly is what makes us feel Demon's faster than Dark, but it is not just that. Dark Souls boss design also contribute a lot to that feel. Despite most bosses in Dark Souls designed as "battle boss" as to opposed "puzzle boss" of Demon's Souls, how they battle you are designed around the speed of normal roll in Dark Souls. This is shown by the fact that you can battle all the boss with equipment burden between 25%-50% without getting hindered by normal roll speed, all the while when faster roll is available. Light roll in this case is become extraneous where it just gives advantage, not a necessity. But in Demon's Souls, normal roll is a necessity against battle bosses like Flamelurker or Maneater. Unless you have good shield, armor, and ton of healing item, it's almost impossible to beat them without rolling.

Flamelurker.... He's also, like a lot of other bosses, so far from the checkpoint and I can't seem to find any shortcuts leading to them.
Are you using the series of drops past the first batch of miners to get down there? It's not the fastest shortcut ever but a lot quicker than going outside, through the tunnels etc.

I think it's true to say that in Demon's leveling up is more costly than the other two games (especially DS2, wow it's cheap in that game!)

I think all the first areas of each world are doable as soon as you get access to them, so if Flamelurker is giving you trouble (and you wouldn't be alone in that) try all the other worlds first and level up a bit. A few points into more HP can often tip the balance and let you tank a hit or two more and win you the fight :)

Molemitts

I tried giving this one more go. I don't understand why I'm having so much trouble. I never did, this much, with Dark Souls and even when I struggled in that game I felt like it was because of my own shortcomings and was always determined to continue. Demon's just feel unfair, I don't like to use that term really but it does.

Early in the game I was supplied with healing items regularly. Now I barely get any at all, and will have to grind to have a reasonable amount.

world 1 was pretty good, I've gotten as far as I can at the moment there.
World 2-1 was also good the boss was complete bullshit though. I only beat it by using bow I couldn't find any other way, and I didn't feel good about it either.
2-2 was bad It was just a load of tunnels, I got through it anyway. Then Flamelurker, first of all the "shortcut" (I would barely call it that.) to get to him requires that you take fall damage and it's very easy to miss a jump and just die. Then when I actually get to him, he's way too aggressive. I have basically no opportunities to attack him, not to mention my attacks do moot damage to him.
World 3-1 was pretty good. 3-2 was alright. Maneater is hard but I don't know if I'm just not ready to take them on yet.
World 4 is garbage town. The rats that are incredibly hard to hit and give you the plague are so annoying, and those giant things that do way too much damage and have way too much health can go to hell. The boss of this area, jeez maybe it would be fun... If you didn't have to go all the way though the fucking level every time you want to fight it! Is there a shortcut I'm missing because that's so fucking annoying.
World 5 is fun... until those fucking flying stingrays start trying to Steve Irwin me. Fighting enemies on narrow passageways whilst giant spears come flying my way isn't fun at all.

All the levels seem so narrow too. There's never enough room to fight it I feel like, some of the time.

Again, I wish I could enjoy this game but I can't do it. If there's really something big I'm missing (I hope there is) I would like to know, because the game really took a downturn recently, I feel like.

World 2-1 was also good the boss was complete bullshit though. I only beat it by using bow I couldn't find any other way, and I didn't feel good about it either.
I used to have trouble with the spider too, but if you're decent at roll dodging it shouldn't be too much trouble - It's a case of 3 things:

1. Block (or roll/move out of the way of) the pincer attacks, when it has a little spasm and comes down, that's your window to attack.
2. Run away when it charges for the AoE blast
3. When coming back after the AoE roll dodge the web shots and fireballs

That's it really the trick is to stay close enough so it only does physical attacks and never web shots or fireballs (unless you can't help it after running back after the AoE). And careful not to go too close to the webs against the walls since they will also slow you down.

For anyone that enjoys watching blind playthroughs, I just started playing through Demon's Souls blind and had my boyfriend record it for anyone that wants to join in on the adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbL9lFYxEcc&list=PLlIEOF8cuRfLCrDKkDPiaposIGcn2ccI5

I recently played through and beat Dark Souls. It was my first experience with the souls games, but it was not meant to be my last :3 I'm downright hooked at this point. I can't wait to play Dark Souls 2 and I'm eagerly anticipating Bloodborne!

I think I'm doing pretty good with Demon's Souls so far. (Much better than I did when I started Dark Souls at least). I just got to the Tower of Latria though *shudders* so things might be about to change. If you have any tips or hints for someone that has some experience with souls but is new to Demon's please let me know. Try to keep them vague and spoiler free if possible, however!

Top Bottom