• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Success! The false king is defeated...with 4 arrows left. Arrow spam is truly the ideal strategy and avoids unwanted soul-suckery. :lol

dolemite

luka said:
Success! The false king is defeated...with 4 arrows left. Arrow spam is truly the ideal strategy and avoids unwanted soul-suckery. :lol
The bastard is actually great for farming when in soul form and getting summoned. I go for the Clever Rat Ring and Morion Blade combo with only 30% on my health bar. If he as much as sneezes at me, I'm dead but the host usually keeps the bastard busy and I just pepper him with soul arrows, about 400 points per hit:D

Zzoram

luka said:
So, uh. What are my chances of actually surviving 1-1 in NG+ so I can spend all these souls? :lol

Did you spend everything you could before beating the game?

I'm sure you can survive 1-1 with souls intact. You should know the layout this time and be able to recover your blood stain if you need to.

Zzoram

So I have God of War 3 that I got for $20. I'm done 5 out of 9 chapters. However, I feel like the only reason I'm playing it is for trophies and all I actually want to do is to get back into Demon's Souls. Is God of War 3 actually that good and worth finishing, or should I just trade it in and only play Demon's Souls?

Canova

Banned
luka said:

omg did you cheese him? :lol

he doesn't deserve to be cheesed. His battle is epic, one of the best boss battle in this generation

Zzoram said:
So I have God of War 3 that I got for $20. I'm done 5 out of 9 chapters. However, I feel like the only reason I'm playing it is for trophies and all I actually want to do is to get back into Demon's Souls. Is God of War 3 actually that good and worth finishing, or should I just trade it in and only play Demon's Souls?

yeah I'd say keep GOW3. the graphic is pretty :D

ZeroRay

Zzoram said:

I don't think GOW3 had chapters. I thought it was great, combat was the best in the series though the devs run out of ideas 70% of the way through.

dolemite

Zzoram said:
I'm stuck on the "Guitar Hero" part and have no desire to proceed. Long Live Demon's Souls.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
1-1 done souls intact. I can relax now. Demonbrandt is nice. :lol

The true Demon's Souls starts here.

Danneee

Zzoram said:

I felt that I too just played the game to get through it so I sold it. Time better spent on DS :)

So I got the Red Eye Stone. Does it work in an area that has been cleared by the host?
luka said:
1-1 done souls intact. I can relax now. Demonbrandt is nice. :lol

The true Demon's Souls starts here.
Wait until you forge Northern Regalia. It packs a punch at PWCT or PBCT, but no stat scaling, can't be upgraded or enchanted. Wielding it two-handed doesn't increase its damage. :( 540AR one or two handed.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Damn. Had 2 BPs helping me with tower knight but they both died. I was hoping to increase my character tendency. :(

Melfice7

luka said:
Damn. Had 2 BPs helping me with tower knight but they both died. I was hoping to increase my character tendency. :(

told you before that doesnt change the char tendency O: only killing named black phantoms and invading players does

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Melfice7 said:
told you before that doesnt change the char tendency O: only killing named black phantoms and invading players does

Remembering stuff is hard. :p

NG+ is insane. Made it though 1-1 and 1-2 no problem but Stonefang is brutal. What do I need to do to be able to upgrade large sword of moonlight? Ed doesn't see it.

So, I beat 2-2 yesterday. Now I hope I will never see one of these bearbugs again. :lol The battle itself went OK, although I had to use a lot of late moon grass to survive. Once I started using the Warding spell, things got easier though. Before that, I tried using Second Chance but it took too long to cast. Considering how aggressive he is, it was to risky. It seemed like I was not able to be under the effect of both Warding and Second Chance simultaneously. Is it supposed to be like that, or did I screw up again?

After I fought the boss, I tried using the shortcut of the level, where I conveniently stumbled into Scurvir. So, apparently I had pure white world tendency. After not finding the sword he was looking for anywhere in 2-1 or 2-2, I tried 2-3 where I found it. Such a beast of sword. I'm afraid I will never be able to use it though. A strength requirement of 30 (or something like that) and a weight of 20! I will have to do a considerable amount of grinding to get my endurance high enough to wield it. I was a bit confused about having pure white tendency though. According to the tendency guide that someone in this thread linked me to, I should not be at pure white tendency yet, since I had only beaten two of the bosses, and had died in human form twice in that world. That should leave me with a sum of +30 % white tendency if the guide is correct. Could the fact that I still got pure white tendency be explained by the tendencies of other players' worlds being shifted toward white?

Anyway, I think I am heading into 3-2 or 5-2 on my next session. I will hold off going into 2-3 for a while.

ACE 1991

Tip on beating the BP mindflayer on the stairs leading up to the maneater? Since I'm rocking poison cloud and protection I can't soul ray him to death like I usually do. Note that I am a melee/magic hybrid, but I can't seem to burn him down with slashes fast enough.

EDIT: Post 2000 :D

Canova

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Tip on beating the BP mindflayer on the stairs leading up to the maneater? Since I'm rocking poison cloud and protection I can't soul ray him to death like I usually do. Note that I am a melee/magic hybrid, but I can't seem to burn him down with slashes fast enough.

EDIT: Post 2000 :D

thief ring and backstab, angle it in such a way that when you kick him, he falls off the ledge

Canova

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Gotcha. I'm using a Kilij +6 at the moment, can I backstab with a Katana?

you can backstab with any melee weapon

my favorite is to shove a 7-foot great sword or dragon-bone smasher up in the enemies ass :lol

Melfice7

Just had an epic battle on NG++ against king allant with neutral WT

went with a blue phantom that died in the first 20 seconds leaving me scared shitless since the boss had 95% hp left and hes so damned aggressive if were fighting alone!

got a few absolute near death situations (my hp pretty much disappeared completely O:) but somehow i managed to use teh awesome dark moon grass and roll out of an attack by mere centimeters O: and after a long fight the mad king was slained giving me 320k souls whoo oo :D

edit: just lost 2 levels with the red stone :lol

bdouble

So in 4-2
freaking patches I get out of that pit and now I'm standing in front of him and I so want to kill him

Also whats with the game adding in all these cool little cinematics. It should have more of those.
SteelAttack said:
4-1 is kicking my ass. Those black skeletons with the twin swords are ruthless sons of bitches.
Patience. Dodge just to the side of him and towards him when he does his jump attack. You will be behind him and have a chance to strike. Also after any of his attacks just try to get behind him. Once you get a leveled up blunt weapon (I had QMace+4 or so with light weapon) I could just swing until out of stamina and he would die.

ahaha right after typing this i accidentally set the controller down and attacked him. Damn it. Oh well. No heavy arrows for me.

Canova

Banned
bdouble said:
So in 4-2
freaking patches I get out of that pit and now I'm standing in front of him and I so want to kill him

Also whats with the game adding in all these cool little cinematics. It should have more of those.

Patience. Dodge just to the side of him and towards him when he does his jump attack. You will be behind him and have a chance to strike. Also after any of his attacks just try to get behind him. Once you get a leveled up blunt weapon (I had QMace+4 or so with light weapon) I could just swing until out of stamina and he would die.

ahaha right after typing this i accidentally set the controller down and attacked him. Damn it. Oh well. No heavy arrows for me.

hahahaha, yeah he's so annoying I really wanted to kill him the first time

Teknoman

Zzoram said:
You're supposed to play 99% of the time in soul form. That's not a bad thing, I actually prefer it since I don't have to deal with the anxiety of fearing death or invasion.

Aw but it feels more like medieval survival horror that way :D

bdouble

Teknoman said:
Aw but it feels more like medieval survival horror that way :D
shit after playing 3-1 and now working through 4-2 with all its crazy enemies this might be the best survival horror game created. Stuff is creepy.

dolemite

archnemesis said:
No, you can't stack the effects of two rings together. You could, however, use a Morion Blade together with it instead.
Yeah, already using that but I'm getting greedy and want more damage from my soul arrows. Looks like all that's left is to max out the magic to 99.

Melfice7

SteelAttack said:
I just got invaded and killed for the first time. :(

yesterday i invaded 3 guys and died 3 times :D,also was helping a guy and he summoned a black phantom (red stone) 2 times and i lost 2 levels xD.. then after a while i was also invaded and killed the bastard!

Finally got my platinum trophy. Before I did, me and a friend did the ss glitch to get to sl 712. I was playing around with spells. 16k damage to Leechmonger from Firestorm. Wow. :lol
If it goes to PWWT, I would play again. Want to get another DBS, so I can dual wield those just for the lol.

Zzoram

zerokoolpsx said:
Finally got my platinum trophy. Before I did, me and a friend did the ss glitch to get to sl 712. I was playing around with spells. 16k damage to Leechmonger from Firestorm. Wow. :lol
If it goes to PWWT, I would play again. Want to get another DBS, so I can dual wield those just for the lol.
What ss glitch?

edbrat

oracrest said:
Feels like rape, right?

ok for someone who has never been invaded, could someone do a few bullet points about how to avoid being utterly humiliated and assaulted by an invader? Currently my tactics are: 1) run 2) turn off console, which isn't all that really :lol

Ferrio

Banned
edbrat said:
ok for someone who has never been invaded, could someone do a few bullet points about how to avoid being utterly humiliated and assaulted by an invader? Currently my tactics are: 1) run 2) turn off console, which isn't all that really :lol

That's a great way to corrupt your game. Best thing to do if you're un-experienced is summon some blues to fight for you. If they die just keep summoning. If you have banish, use that. Otherwise you'll just have to fight to get better at fighting other players. Oh and Dodging > Blocking.

edbrat

bdouble said:
shit after playing 3-1 and now working through 4-2 with all its crazy enemies this might be the best survival horror game created. Stuff is creepy.

i have never felt fear from a game like this one, actually panicking and losing my cool and screwing up herbs / tactics has cost me many many thousands of souls. Making my way through an area i don't know is scary as hell, I am trying to savour my first playthrough as i know i will never get that again after building up a little familiarity with levels / enemies.

edbrat

Ferrio said:
That's a great way to corrupt your game. Best thing to do if you're un-experienced is summon some blues to fight for you. If they die just keep summoning. If you have banish, use that. Otherwise you'll just have to fight to get better at fighting other players. Oh and Dodging > Blocking.

i know i would take the hit ultimately rather than risking corrupting my save file.

I guess as a magic oriented character i should run, summon blues, try to get in position to launch magic attacks, pray my shitty melee technique somehow holds up if they ever get close.

Ferrio

Banned
edbrat said:
i know i would take the hit ultimately rather than risking corrupting my save file.

I guess as a magic oriented character i should run, summon blues, try to get in position to launch magic attacks, pray my shitty melee technique somehow holds up if they ever get close.

If you have firestorm/god's wrath then you'll be rocking invaders. Just hide around a corner and launch it right before they turn it.

Top Bottom