• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Fox1304 said:
Damn i've looked everywhere in the nexus and haven't seen him yet. Thanks !
The NPC you're looking for is trapped in one of the worlds. You can't learn the soul ray spell until you rescue him. Talk to the people in the nexus for a clue about his location.

That one comic was right. 5-1 is indeed a shithole. Damn level layout has killed me more times than the depraved ones. :lol I keep slipping into the gaping void in a wide array of situations. I've fallen while fighting, while fending off attackers, while trying to reach a tricky spot, while running away from a giant depraved.

Fox1304

I spent a shitload of souls on stat points without even knowing that i could learn spells this soon. Could have learned evacuation and others :(

Zzoram

Fox1304 said:
I spent a shitload of souls on stat points without even knowing that i could learn spells this soon. Could have learned evacuation and others :(

Evacuation is the single most useful spell for farming in the game. So worth buying first.

Fox1304

I think i'll try to put down the red dragon with soul arrow and buy evacuation with it. Bonus : he won't make me kill some kitties when failing to cross the bridge.

Melfice7

Zzoram said:
Evacuation is the single most useful spell for farming in the game. So worth buying first.

its a miracle not a spell you dirty peasant

(im a priest with faith build :D) umbasa!

oracrest

Beat Maneater with my Mage in less attempts than it ever took my melee characters. It helps being able to soul ray and hit when he is just out flying around.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
Beat Maneater with my Mage in less attempts than it ever took my melee characters. It helps being able to soul ray and hit when he is just out flying around.

I hate maneaters with a passion. They're the only enemies I don't look forward to in each of my playthrus

dolemite

Fellas, any suggestions on how to buff up my Mage character? Currently using a Morion Blade in the left hand and an Instanity Catalist in the right with the life bar at 30%. The two rings are the Clever rat and Magical Sharpness. Also wearing the Monk's hat. I don't think another Morion Blade does anything in the off hand and I can't stack another Clever Rat ring.

oracrest

canova said:
I hate maneaters with a passion. They're the only enemies I don't look forward to in each of my playthrus

Yeah, they are most frustrating, but I like him as a boss character(s) the most. my most helpful trick has been to
roll into or directly with his crouching lunge. I usually get up right next to him, or far enough away to cast a spell quickly. Also, I try to keep in line with the bridge. by far, the way that I have died the most in his fight is to dive to the side, and off the edge

dolemite said:
Fellas, any suggestions on how to buff up my Mage character? Currently using a Morion Blade in the left hand and an Instanity Catalist in the right with the life bar at 30%. The two rings are the Clever rat and Magical Sharpness. Also wearing the Monk's hat. I don't think another Morion Blade does anything in the off hand and I can't stack another Clever Rat ring.

That's pretty much my setup: Kris blade, headwrap, fragrant ring, magical sharpness ring. I also just keep pumping my stats into magic, so my soul rays are pretty tough, most enemies go down in one hit.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So most of my experience with this game is derived from my pure melee character... I'm very new to magic/faith.

Right now I'm leveling a new build and trying to balance magic and faith... is this stupid? Honestly, it's pretty well-rounded atm. I've put some levels into dexterity, but I'm staying pretty even on intelligence, faith and magic.

Is is better to have characters with and either/or faith/magic focus?

Fox1304 said:
So the npc for the basic soul spell is there after completing 1-1 but his master must be saved ?
freke's apprentice (the npc trainer who appears after 1-1) will teach you some basic spells.

sage freke, who must be rescued from 3-1, will teach you the same spells plus better ones that require unique demon's souls from defeating bosses.

dolemite

recklessmind said:
So most of my experience with this game is derived from my pure melee character... I'm very new to magic/faith.

Right now I'm leveling a new build and trying to balance magic and faith... is this stupid? Honestly, it's pretty well-rounded atm. I've put some levels into dexterity, but I'm staying pretty even on intelligence, faith and magic.

Is is better to have characters with and either/or faith/magic focus?
Very few faith spells are offensive (God's wrath is the only one worth using) so dump more souls into magic.

Evolved1

dolemite said:
Very few faith spells are offensive (God's wrath is the only one worth using) so dump more souls into magic.

I like some of the faith weapons though... man I can't make up my mind. Every time I get confused in a build I start over! :lol

Fox1304

Quick question : i've put about 5h in my mage character, reaching but not beaten 1-2 boss. I've tested very quickly a royal, and liked it.
Should i start over or won't there be many differences between the two ?

Melfice7

Fox1304 said:
Quick question : i've put about 5h in my mage character, reaching but not beaten 1-2 boss. I've tested very quickly a royal, and liked it.
Should i start over or won't there be many differences between the two ?

royal is only good to start because of the fragrant ring and soul arrow spell (which you both can get later) in this game the starting class only matters for the gear they start, you can even make a soldier be a full mage

Evolved1

Royal is good too because they start soul lvl 1 and don't have a bunch of points wasted on luck.

vehn

Fox1304 said:
So ... Guess i shouldn't waste my time with royal.

no what they are saying is that when you reach level 100, it doesn't matter what class you started with because all of them will have reached the same stats/ spells that you want in the end. And royal is the best class to start with because you start at level 1, has one of the best rings in the game, and has a spell that 1 shots most mobs in the begininng.

Fox1304

vehn said:
no what they are saying is that when you reach level 100, it doesn't matter what class you started with because all of them will have reached the same stats/ spells that you want in the end. And royal is the best class to start with because you start at level 1, has one of the best rings in the game, and has a spell that 1 shots most mobs in the begininng.
Yep, i understand that.
But i'm at lvl 14 on my mage so i wonder if it would be of any use.

The 2-1 boss got me scared after the first few tries so I returned to world 1 and reached the boss on 1-2 and lived for like 5 seconds. Figured that the 2-1 boss wasn't that bad then, so gave it another try with great succes :D

This game gets my adrenaline pumping so hard, I wonder if i'll make it past the entire game :)

Fox1304

Great play session :D
Boss 1-2 down, Red Dragon down, I now have loads of souls to use.
But the question remains : what's my best bet for using souls right now ?
I was thinking about a full stats upgrade, not to risk loosing them in a new world.

Also ... tonight, got kicked from a co-op game because of connection instability. We were at 1-2 boss and he only had 5% of his life left :( bye bye souls :(

so i beat 1-1, and ran around and collect souls in 1-2 and just went back to the nexus. I am so hooked.

Im gonna play a bit more before i restart my character and absolutely know how i want to build.

Fox1304

One more boss down, 2-1 done :)
Been helped by a higher level BP, so rushed through it a bit.
Started 3-1, damn it's creepy !
Can't wait to play more, this game is so addictive !

vehn

Krauser Kat said:
so i beat 1-1, and ran around and collect souls in 1-2 and just went back to the nexus. I am so hooked.

Im gonna play a bit more before i restart my character and absolutely know how i want to build.

unless you want to actively/ competively PvP, there is no reason to restart your character and choose a certain build. It doesn't even matter that much what you use your souls on if you aren't PvP'ing (as that has a cap of 120 or so and you have a proper constraint to work around then). People have beaten the game under level 10, I'm not suggesting everyone do that but it highlights the importance of stats not meaning THAT much in the grand scheme of things.

Canova

Banned
Fox1304 said:
Great play session :D
Boss 1-2 down, Red Dragon down, I now have loads of souls to use.
But the question remains : what's my best bet for using souls right now ?
I was thinking about a full stats upgrade, not to risk loosing them in a new world.

Also ... tonight, got kicked from a co-op game because of connection instability. We were at 1-2 boss and he only had 5% of his life left :( bye bye souls :(

If you're a melee character, I'd say go with endurance. Attack, defense, rolling, equipment weight limit, all depends on endurance/stamina.

but remember, after 40, endurance gives you diminishing return.

Fox1304

I'm lovin it so far. But it's been totally useless on 2-1, with their thick skin.
Used a mailbreaker instead, much more efficient !

Canova

Banned
Fox1304 said:
I'm lovin it so far. But it's been totally useless on 2-1, with their thick skin.
Used a mailbreaker instead, much more efficient !

for 2-1, either use magic, or magic weapons (crescent weapons) or piercing weapons/moves (R2 for long sword)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
With the level or the boss?

Take your time and take out the mantarays with ranged attacks. Same with the red-eyed skelly. The cave section can be tricky but feel free to run past a lot of the stuff. The skellies outside can be abused pretty badly with the cliffs. Careful at the last section before the slug room.

The boss is one of the best in the game but once you get his trick is super easy. Honestly impossible to die once you figure it out.

Chris_C

I got this yesterday, and I'm loving it, but I have a few questions

I was playing the tutorial when I was running down a hallway, at the end of which was a large beastly looking creature. I barely had time to exit the hallway before he killed me with two hits and the tutorial ended... that was supposed to happen, right?

2nd, in my inventory there are all these colored sybols red, orange, green, white next to my weapon stats... but I have no idea what they stand for. I don't know how to figure out my weapon stats or degradation!

Canova

Banned
Chris_C said:
I got this yesterday, and I'm loving it, but I have a few questions

I was playing the tutorial when I was running down a hallway, at the end of which was a large beastly looking creature. I barely had time to exit the hallway before he killed me with two hits and the tutorial ended... that was supposed to happen, right?

2nd, in my inventory there are all these colored sybols red, orange, green, white next to my weapon stats... but I have no idea what they stand for. I don't know how to figure out my weapon stats or degradation!

1. yes that's suppose to happen. though you can actually kill the fat monster boss, then you're taken to a new area with tons of loots and new cutscene

2. don't recall those colors in the weapon stats, could it be physical damage, fire damage, magic damage, faith damage, etc or physical defense, magic, fire, poison defense? not sure I have to see the screen to confirm

qwg8b.jpg

dolemite

canova said:
1. yes that's suppose to happen. though you can actually kill the fat monster boss, then you're taken to a new area with tons of loots and new cutscene

2. don't recall those colors in the weapon stats, could it be physical damage, fire damage, magic damage, faith damage, etc or physical defense, magic, fire, poison defense? not sure I have to see the screen to confirm
Are there more bosses in the tutorial after the Adjudicator?

Chris_C

canova said:

Thanks!.... I'm restarting the game in that case.

Fox1304 said:
Just according to Keikaku ... this game is kicking my ass sooooo hard !
Can't manage to beat The Tower Knight, even though I know how :(
Playing as a mage right now, but thinking about restarting a Royal.
Any tips for beating 1-2 ? Should I farm souls in order to pass this level, or am I just a weak-sauce mage ? :(
I remember when my unpatched HK copy was stuck in pure black world tendency and every time i managed to make it through the dragon fire, the evil knights, turned black fantom-like shit-fuckers, would rape my butt ghetto style, while the guys up top kept poking my shit with crossbow bolts.
Good times.

Once i was man enough to make it through all that butt-fucking alive, making tower knight my prison bitch was a breeze.

Top Bottom