• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Sotha Sil

SteelAttack said:
:lol The dude just barged in, snooped around, located me (I was just starting 1-2) and killed me unceremoniously in 5 seconds flat.

Did he burn you alive? I remember having a blast one-shoting unsuspecting adventurers with my Royalty mage. Good times :lol . For some reason, being a Blue Phantom is much more fun, though.

dolemite

Ferrio said:
If you have firestorm/god's wrath then you'll be rocking invaders. Just hide around a corner and launch it right before they turn it.
Pretty much. God's Wrath even blasts through walls which is of great help before entering the Old Monk's room.

oracrest

dolemite said:
Pretty much. God's Wrath even blasts through walls which is of great help before entering the Old Monk's room.

I hated that spell until a nice blue phantom helped me get ALL the crystal lizards in the pit in 2-2 with it.

Now I accept it :D

I am making progress. 5-2 is now officially my bitch. I don't know why I found the boss difficult on my earlier try, after barely making it through the swamp for the first time and opening up the shortcut. This time I cut through him like butter. The Dragon Long Sword that I got from 2-2 might have been one reason. Having discovered the awesomeness of the Warding spell since then, might be another.

After that, I went through the swamp and got all the items that I missed earlier. Once you have a better understanding of the layout of the level, it is not actually that bad. Some parts,
like the slug nest
, are actually quite cool. Also, the black phantom at the start of the level, who kicked my ass repeatedly on earlier tries, is quite easy with a dragon long sword. After beating 5-3 (more on that later) I did some world tendency stuff. I did the Vinland side quest and got the Istarelle, which, along with the Large Moon of Swordlight, I will never be able to use, due to the steep faith requirements. If you do have enough faith to use them though, I reckon they are awesome, what with the high stat bonuses for faith.

I also finally started upgrading some weapons. I don't want to follow a guide for that stuff, since we wouldn't want the game to be too easy. I have heard how some hard-to-find-out-on-your-own upgrades (using demon souls) are a bit too over-powered. Therefore, I might be going in a really bad direction, but who cares, right? I am now the proud owner of a Dragon Long Sword + 4, a Crescent Falchion +4 (or maybe +3, I don't remember) and a Purple Flame Shield + 6. I probably won't do much more upgrading since I'm not feeling for grinding for materials.

Anyway, I also want to talk about 5-3. What an amazing battle! I will be keeping it in spoiler tags from here on in order to not spoil it for someone else who is as late to the party as I am.

After the battle, some of the triumph I felt after beating 5-2 receded. It really left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I wonder if doing the battle was the right thing to do. I know that I had to to beat the game, but I am talking from a story perspective. Astraea didn't seem to be doing anyone any harm with her demon soul. On the contrary, she seemed to be doing quite a bit of good. The fact that she had a demon souls, shouldn't be enough to attack her. I would be more worried about the souls I give to Sage Freke, almost giving him a monopoly. Who knows what he will do with them? Also, isn't the maiden in black a demon? She should be proof enough that you don't necessarily have to be evil for having a demon soul. On the contrary, they can be used for good as well (just like any instrument of power).

Also, I found it fascinating how they talked about being abandoned. Was she referring to being abandoned by God? Did seeing the pestilence and famine of the Valley of Defilement confront her faith with the problem of evil, forcing her to do the only rational thing and abandon her faith and the false ritual of church to actually do some good to the world.

Really well done battle indeed. What do you people think?

Fox1304

Just according to Keikaku ... this game is kicking my ass sooooo hard !
Can't manage to beat The Tower Knight, even though I know how :(
Playing as a mage right now, but thinking about restarting a Royal.
Any tips for beating 1-2 ? Should I farm souls in order to pass this level, or am I just a weak-sauce mage ? :(

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Started a new character because I wanted to do more magic than melee... Royal begins SL 1 w/ the Fragrant Ring, plus low luck and high magic/faith.

I can't believe how I breezed through the start, and most early worlds.

Definitely, as people usually say, this is the easiest starting class.

Hey, I have a bunch of stuff from world tendency events on a lvl 60 character I want to delete... I'm willing to give it all away. But there's one item (an armor set) I want to transfer to my new character. Anyone willing to help me with that? Is it even possible? I don't understand how the cooperative stuff works in this game.

Canova

Banned
hydrophilic attack said:
After the battle, some of the triumph I felt after beating 5-2 receded. It really left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I wonder if doing the battle was the right thing to do. I know that I had to to beat the game, but I am talking from a story perspective. Astraea didn't seem to be doing anyone any harm with her demon soul. On the contrary, she seemed to be doing quite a bit of good. The fact that she had a demon souls, shouldn't be enough to attack her. I would be more worried about the souls I give to Sage Freke, almost giving him a monopoly. Who knows what he will do with them? Also, isn't the maiden in black a demon? She should be proof enough that you don't necessarily have to be evil for having a demon soul. On the contrary, they can be used for good as well (just like any instrument of power).

Also, I found it fascinating how they talked about being abandoned. Was she referring to being abandoned by God? Did seeing the pestilence and famine of the Valley of Defilement confront her faith with the problem of evil, forcing her to do the only rational thing and abandon her faith and the false ritual of church to actually do some good to the world.

Really well done battle indeed. What do you people think?

I think Astraea's background is flushed out a bit as part of the game story. She was one of the last human left in Boletaria. Her and Garl Vinland story is up to many interpretations. Selen Vinland and the old merchant lady in world 5 question her motifs.

If they can do proper Demon's Souls sequel, that's one route they could take, a prequel. It'd be nice to see Astraea's, Garl's, False King's, Biorr's backgrounds. etc, etc.

Demon's Souls story is very intriguing

Zzoram

recklessmind said:
Started a new character because I wanted to do more magic than melee... Royal begins SL 1 w/ the Fragrant Ring, plus low luck and high magic/faith.

I can't believe how I breezed through the start, and most early worlds.

Definitely, as people usually say, this is the easiest starting class.

Hey, I have a bunch of stuff from world tendency events on a lvl 60 character I want to delete... I'm willing to give it all away. But there's one item (an armor set) I want to transfer to my new character. Anyone willing to help me with that? Is it even possible? I don't understand how the cooperative stuff works in this game.

Yes it's possible. You have to summon a blue phantom and give him all your stuff. However you can only summon phantoms near your level (the range grows as you get higher in level, it's about +/- 10 until around lvl 100 then the range starts growing). I have a lvl 61 character and will hold items for you. Are you on US server? We can agree on a time and place to meet and place the blue stone, and you can summon me into your game and drop the stuff, I'll pick it up. Then when your new character is lvl ~60 you can summon me again to transfer back items. We should exchange PSN ID so you know if you've summoned the right guy since there is no in-game chat.

I'll give you back the world tendency items so you don't have to get them again with your new character. Luckily, holding them for even a minute will still count towards my trophy progress so if you have any world tendency items I don't, you'd be helping me too since world tendency events are hard.

My PSN ID is Zzoram

RyanDG

So I finally got a taste of my own invasion medicine. I had just entered 4-2 the first time when I get the invasion message pop up. Whenever I first saw the person come in, I got a few good shots off with soul ray and took them down pretty decently in health. I didn't know that the Graverobber merchant from 4-1 was in the level, so what the person did was hide behind the Graverobber and make my next soul ray actually hit both him and the Graverobber causing the Graverobber to aggro on me. Hopefully he wasn't important to keep alive, because he's dead now.

While I was facing off against the Graverobber, the other person was ransacking through my level. Eventually I met up with them on top of a stair well area. I once again started using my soul ray/soul arrow to try to get them at range (since I don't have a bow/crossbow). When I was doing so, they tripped a trap and I got killed by the trap when they dodge rolled out of the way.

I have to admit I'm pretty sad about having to kill the poor Graverobber. Damn sneaky invaders. :(

Zzoram

RyanDG said:
So I finally got a taste of my own invasion medicine. I had just entered 4-2 the first time when I get the invasion message pop up. Whenever I first saw the person come in, I got a few good shots off with soul ray and took them down pretty decently in health. I didn't know that the Graverobber merchant from 4-1 was in the level, so what the person did was hide behind the Graverobber and make my next soul ray actually hit both him and the Graverobber causing the Graverobber to aggro on me. Hopefully he wasn't important to keep alive, because he's dead now.

While I was facing off against the Graverobber, the other person was ransacking through my level. Eventually I met up with them on top of a stair well area. I once again started using my soul ray/soul arrow to try to get them at range (since I don't have a bow/crossbow). When I was doing so, they tripped a trap and I got killed by the trap when they dodge rolled out of the way.

I have to admit I'm pretty sad about having to kill the poor Graverobber. Damn sneaky invaders. :(

Wait, can invaders kill the host's NPCs? That would be so annoying.

Evolved1

Zzoram said:
Yes it's possible. You have to summon a blue phantom and give him all your stuff. However you can only summon phantoms near your level. I have a lvl 61 character and will hold items for you. Are you on US server? We can agree on a time and place to meet and place the blue stone, and you can summon me into your game and drop the stuff, I'll pick it up. Then when your new character is lvl ~60 you can summon me again to transfer back items. We should exchange PSN ID so you know if you've summoned the right guy since there is no in-game chat.

I'll give you back the world tendency items so you don't have to get them again with your new character. Luckily, holding them for even a minute will still count towards my trophy progress so if you have any world tendency items I don't, you'd be helping me too since world tendency events are hard.

My PSN ID is Zzoram

Hey great! My PSN is Evolved1

But seriously, you can have all of my stuff for your trouble. I really just want to transfer some armor pieces. I'll give you some rare chunk/pure stones too, might help you out.

I have exams this week, so it'll be the weekend before I can play... and I'll probably need a few days to get my character to lvl 60 after that.

I'll send you a FR. :D

Edit: tonight I'll send you a list of the character's stuff... you can pick whatever you want.

Zzoram

recklessmind said:
Hey great! My PSN is Evolved1

But seriously, you can have all of my stuff for your trouble. I really just want to transfer some armor pieces. I'll give you some rare chunk/pure stones too, might help you out.

I have exams this week, so it'll be the weekend before I can play... and I'll probably need a few days to get my character to lvl 60 after that.

I send you a FR. :D

I have a midterm tomorrow so the weekend sounds good to me. Thanks.

Just curious, why are you deleting your character, and what new character are you building?

Evolved1

Zzoram said:
I have a midterm tomorrow so the weekend sounds good to me. Thanks.

Just curious, why are you deleting your character, and what new character are you building?

I restarted my melee character (wanted a male) and made a brand new magic character (again, wanted a male). Just felt like starting over now that I know more about the game. I had another high-lvl character I deleted a couple weeks ago. That was before realizing I could've given away some of my loot.

And a couple days ago I was messing around with the lvl 60 and decided I wasn't interested in progressing... I'd made some mistakes that were easier to fix be starting over than going NG+.

RyanDG

Zzoram said:
Wait, can invaders kill the host's NPCs? That would be so annoying.

No, but since I hit the merchant with my soul ray because of where the invader was standing, the merchant aggro'd on me and i felt the need to kill the merchant.

I don't know if there's a way to calm NPCs down, but the narrow hallway he was in meant that he was going to be a bastard to deal with the entire time so I decided the only way to go forward was to put him down.

Zzoram

recklessmind said:
I restarted my melee character (wanted a male) and made a brand new magic character (again, wanted a male). Just felt like starting over now that I know more about the game. I had another high-lvl character I deleted a couple weeks ago. That was before realizing I could've given away some of my loot.

And a couple days ago I was messing around with the lvl 60 and decided I wasn't interested in progressing... I'd made some mistakes that were easier to fix be starting over than going NG+.

Making new characters is always fun but I'm trying to get some trophies and my lvl 61 is close to getting a few weapon crafting ones and already has some world tendency items so I'm going to use him for those trophies.

I do plan to make new characters to try out weird builds and stuff. I'm dreading the 4-1 grind for Evacuate again though.

Zzoram

RyanDG said:
No, but since I hit the merchant with my soul ray because of where the invader was standing, the merchant aggro'd on me and i felt the need to kill the merchant.

I don't know if there's a way to calm NPCs down, but the narrow hallway he was in meant that he was going to be a bastard to deal with the entire time so I decided the only way to go forward was to put him down.

I'd personally prefer to be killed by an invader than lose a merchant NPC.

RyanDG

Zzoram said:
I'd personally prefer to be killed by an invader than lose a merchant NPC.

Problem is that merchants don't stop aggroing on you until NG+ from my understanding. As soon as I accidentally hit him with the Soulray he was aggroed which means he would remain so even if the invader killed me. :(

Zzoram

RyanDG said:
Problem is that merchants don't stop aggroing on you until NG+ from my understanding. As soon as I accidentally hit him with the Soulray he was aggroed which means he would remain so even if the invader killed me. :(

I just mean I wouldn't have risked shooting in the direction of an NPC or fighting near one at all. Sure once he's aggro kill him though.

You could've waited the guy out, he loses a soul level for quitting so he'd eventually come for you.

RyanDG

Zzoram said:
I just mean I wouldn't have risked shooting in the direction of an NPC or fighting near one at all. Sure once he's aggro kill him though.

You could've waited the guy out, he loses a soul level for quitting so he'd eventually come for you.

Oh I know. The problems was that it was my first time in 4-2 and I didn't see the merchant behind the person when I fired. I didn't even know that there was a merchant there. It was my mistake definitely. And damn the soulray to be able to pierce multiple enemies. I hate you so hard right now (soulray).

Zzoram

RyanDG said:
Oh I know. The problems was that it was my first time in 4-2 and I didn't see the merchant behind the person when I fired. I didn't even know that there was a merchant there. It was my mistake definitely. And damn the soulray to be able to pierce multiple enemies. I hate you so hard right now (soulray).

I believe the 4-2 merchant in the hall above the reaper sells heavy arrows and darkmoonstone shards. He's kinda useful. Too bad.

At least people can't invade nexus and make you aggro the maiden :lol

Evolved1

Zzoram said:
Making new characters is always fun but I'm trying to get some trophies and my lvl 61 is close to getting a few weapon crafting ones and already has some world tendency items so I'm going to use him for those trophies.

I do plan to make new characters to try out weird builds and stuff. I'm dreading the 4-1 grind for Evacuate again though.

Best way to get Evacuate is kill the red dragon on 1-2 bridge... you shoot it from the top of the first guard tower. You get like 7000+ souls for killing it, and then when you consume it's soul, you get another 10,000. I don't think that one is used for crafting either... I mean double-check, but I think it's safe to consume. You'll have evacuate straightaway.

Takes a little time to kill the dragon, but you can do it with arrows/bolts/soul arrow...

Zzoram

recklessmind said:
Best way to get Evacuate is kill the red dragon on 1-2 bridge... you shoot it from the top of the first guard tower. You get like 7000+ souls for killing it, and then when you consume it's soul, you get another 10,000. I don't think that one is used for crafting either... I mean double-check, but I think it's safe to consume. You'll have evacuate straightaway.

Takes a little time to kill the dragon, but you can do it with arrows/bolts/soul arrow...

I never killed that dragon because I don't think I had a bow at the time, and magic lock-on range couldn't reach it. I'll try that next time though.

Evolved1

Zzoram said:
I never killed that dragon because I don't think I had a bow at the time, and magic lock-on range couldn't reach it. I'll try that next time though.

You don't lock on... You wait for the dragon to swoop in and then you lock on / lock off real quick. This will position your soul arrow or whatever you're using to shoot into the dragon's path. From there it's just a matter of timing your shots so they make contact (you'll see its health bar pop up if you hit it) and having enough arrows/magic.

Takes some practice/experimenting to get it just right, but I killed it last night and it took way less time than farming 20,000 souls lol.

There are three gaps in the wall you can shoot through from up there... I prefer the leftmost one. Some people even do it from the base of the tower.

Fox1304

jyx said:
Is the european server dead? No messages, no white ghosts. No invasions, no co op. :(
I'm dying for some Co-op, and leaving messages and blue eyes all the time. Maybe we're the only two ? :eek:

dolemite

recklessmind said:
You don't lock on... You wait for the dragon to swoop in and then you lock on / lock off real quick. This will position your soul arrow or whatever you're using to shoot into the dragon's path. From there it's just a matter of timing your shots so they make contact (you'll see its health bar pop up if you hit it) and having enough arrows/magic.

Takes some practice/experimenting to get it just right, but I killed it last night and it took way less time than farming 20,000 souls lol.

There are three gaps in the wall you can shoot through from up there... I prefer the leftmost one. Some people even do it from the base of the tower.
Yeah, the strategy is: when the dragon just started to fly over the bridge, to fire the arrow/magic arrow and THEN press the lock button.

oracrest

dolemite said:
fire the arrow/magic arrow and THEN press the lock button.

This is such a great strategy I am discovering with my magic only character. The spell will acknowledge the target just as it leaves your hands, so you can start the spell, and at the last second, lock on, and it will fire at that enemy.

I tried to kill Garl Vinland last night, but he has been the hardest opponent so far with my magic character. His shield blocks my spells, and only when he goes two handed can I do some damage with soul ray. I got him down to almost dead twice, and then he just steps back and heals :/

Just as I thought I was doomed to be a casual gamer, this games comes along from nowhere and drags me back in. I'm so excited to get back to playing again, I can't figure out why I am wasting time posting here :D :D :D

Though, the spider at 2-1 sucks (did I get the level description right?)

Canova

Banned
Fox1304 said:
Just according to Keikaku ... this game is kicking my ass sooooo hard !
Can't manage to beat The Tower Knight, even though I know how :(
Playing as a mage right now, but thinking about restarting a Royal.
Any tips for beating 1-2 ? Should I farm souls in order to pass this level, or am I just a weak-sauce mage ? :(

There's a way to beat him even as a weak-sauce mage. Just stay in the upper level and soul ray him from behind the wall

Cmagus

I picked this up today found a new copy for 19.99 so I grabbed it after hearing all the buzz looking forward to digging into it tonight

canova said:
I think Astraea's background is flushed out a bit as part of the game story. She was one of the last human left in Boletaria. Her and Garl Vinland story is up to many interpretations. Selen Vinland and the old merchant lady in world 5 question her motifs.

If they can do proper Demon's Souls sequel, that's one route they could take, a prequel. It'd be nice to see Astraea's, Garl's, False King's, Biorr's backgrounds. etc, etc.

Demon's Souls story is very intriguing

I haven't even met all of these people yet, but still I agree with you. A prequel would be awesome! One can only hope I suppose.'

Also, speaking of the merchant in world 5, I have actually never seen her child that she is going on about. I keep imagining she is mad and that her son is long dead. Maybe she keeps his corpse around somewhere to nurture, being in denial of the fate of him and her own sanity.

Fox1304

canova said:
There's a way to beat him even as a weak-sauce mage. Just stay in the upper level and soul ray him from behind the wall
I don't have this spell, only fire bolt.
Can i already obtain it ?

hydrophilic attack said:
I haven't even met all of these people yet, but still I agree with you. A prequel would be awesome! One can only hope I suppose.'

Also, speaking of the merchant in world 5, I have actually never seen her child that she is going on about. I keep imagining she is mad and that her son is long dead. Maybe she keeps his corpse around somewhere to nurture, being in denial of the fate of him and her own sanity.
for some reason i've wanted to believe that garl vinland is her son and she's so far gone she doesn't remember him.

canova said:
yes you can learn soul Ray from a NPC in the nexus
you learn soul arrow from freke's apprentice or sage freke

the upgraded version, soul ray, requires the doll's demon soul and is learned only from freke.

i like to play rouge like stealth people, and or monks in rpgs. Is there a hand to hand combat person in this game. I am getting it in the mail today. I cant wait for a beastly rpg.

Zzoram

Krauser Kat said:
i like to play rouge like stealth people, and or monks in rpgs. Is there a hand to hand combat person in this game. I am getting it in the mail today. I cant wait for a beastly rpg.

There are 3 fist type weapons you can find, Iron Knucles, Claws and Hands of God. Hands of God are slower and worse damage but have potential knockdown. I think Claws is probably the best though. They are risky because they are such close range weapons and aren't too powerful unless you upgrade them properly. You'd have to supplement your stealth melee with a bow to beat the game, but that fits the stealth rogue image.

Sounds awesome. I will look into that. I will bring my stories of death to you sometime tonight. I have not been this excited to play a game in a while. (except for Dead rising 2, since the first is my favorite game this generation)

If i can be stealthy that will work for me. I always kind of like the low damage fast attack route than high damage slow attacking in action rpgs.

Canova

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
you learn soul arrow from freke's apprentice or sage freke

the upgraded version, soul ray, requires the doll's demon soul and is learned only from freke.

ah thank you for the correction

Zzoram

Krauser Kat said:
Sounds awesome. I will look into that. I will bring my stories of death to you sometime tonight. I have not been this excited to play a game in a while. (except for Dead rising 2, since the first is my favorite game this generation)

If i can be stealthy that will work for me. I always kind of like the low damage fast attack route than high damage slow attacking in action rpgs.

It seems that Mercury or Tearing claws are the best upgrade paths. With those, you inflict heavy poison or bleed damage, so you'd strike a few times then back off for a bit, then occasionally strike again to reapply the health draining effect.

Cmagus

Awesome game so far beat the first major boss.Now this dragon on the bridge he is another story it says just run through I've made it once but normally get nuked just before I make it lol

Canova

Banned
Cmagus said:
Awesome game so far beat the first major boss.Now this dragon on the bridge he is another story it says just run through I've made it once but normally get nuked just before I make it lol

let him smoke the enemies on the bridge first, then make a run....or there's an under-the-bridge passage that you can take.

did you go back to the nexus after beating 1-1?

Cmagus

canova said:
let him smoke the enemies on the bridge first, then make a run....or there's an under-the-bridge passage that you can take.

did you go back to the nexus after beating 1-1?

Yeah I did.I just got there I let him kill the enemies its just the two strips of bridge after you beat the phalanax (sp?) thats tough I'll figure it out eventually I'll look for the underground passage

Zzoram

Cmagus said:
Yeah I did.I just got there I let him kill the enemies its just the two strips of bridge after you beat the phalanax (sp?) thats tough I'll figure it out eventually I'll look for the underground passage

Ya step out enough to bait the dragon. Back off as he clears the path. Then hold the sprint button and run for your life, don't stop for anything. Eventually you end up at an entrance to an underground passage, but at the same place also stairs to a tower top.

Canova

Banned
Cmagus said:

if that 1-2 gets too hard, you can always try another world, like 2-1 for example

Top Bottom