• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Canova

Banned
Chris_C said:
Thanks!.... I'm restarting the game in that case.

you wanna beat Vanguard in tutorial in your first playthru? you're pretty amibitious :lol

I hate to be "that guy" but suddenly I can't equip my shield. I see it in my inventory... but I can't equip it!

do you have enough strength?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
After 5 or so playthroughs, I still haven't beaten him. I've killed the fucker up and close with a dagger at 4-1 but it's tough to evade him in such a cramped space and the one hit kill makes it nearly impossible.

some day, tutorial Vanguard, I will slay you

Chris_C

canova said:
you wanna beat Vanguard in tutorial in your first playthru? you're pretty amibitious :lol

It would seem my ambition was blind, and my labors aggressively stupid, two hits and I died.

canova said:
do you have enough strength?

Since I started over I don't have that problem anymore, do your stats suffer when you die? I was able to use the shield fine until I died the first time, then died as a spirit, when I restarted I couldn't use it anymore.

so i'm trying to soul farm with soulsucker and pbwt in 4-2 (sneaking up on the black phantom skeletons) but i routinely am not getting close enough and then end up being too close (and then destroyed) when i try to nudge toward them. do catalysts provide a slightly longer reach than talismans?

worldrevolution said:
With the level or the boss?

Take your time and take out the mantarays with ranged attacks. Same with the red-eyed skelly. The cave section can be tricky but feel free to run past a lot of the stuff. The skellies outside can be abused pretty badly with the cliffs. Careful at the last section before the slug room.

The boss is one of the best in the game but once you get his trick is super easy. Honestly impossible to die once you figure it out.
The level, I haven'e even reached the boss. :lol

Those ghosts are very annoying. The first ones are easy since the reapers are accesible, but after the cliff walk with the golden skeletons I find a couple shadowlurkers in very tight corridors. I've fallen to death two or three times because of the beam ray of one of them. It doesn't help that my sword and soul ray do very little damage to them.

oracrest

Chris_C said:
I'm hoping you're kidding. I need to go wee wee and I fear leaving my body out in the open to be ravaged.

there is no pause, but plenty of safe zones to stay at while nature calls. Unless your in body form, then you could get invaded and killed any place.

Canova

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
so i'm trying to soul farm with soulsucker and pbwt in 4-2 (sneaking up on the black phantom skeletons) but i routinely am not getting close enough and then end up being too close (and then destroyed) when i try to nudge toward them. do catalysts provide a slightly longer reach than talismans?

no, they're all the same. you just have to know when/where to start the soulsucking animation

canova said:
no, they're all the same. you just have to know when/where to start the soulsucking animation
yeah i'm getting better at it. sneaking up on the first double samurai one is harder than the second pair. the camera gets kind of janked going through the door there.

Shai-Tan

Banned
it isn't difficult to find a spot to take a break because enemies dont wander much. if not in soul form invasions are only frequent on some levels. if you dont like pvp find a cling ring and play most of the game in soul form

Melfice7

pure bladestone get!

jesus.. for people with 6 spell slots, farming for pure blade stone on pure black+avarice+soul thirst+soulsucker = 100k souls per round O:

I always thought that when I pushed the PS button to bring up the Playstation menu I was effectively "pausing" so that at least I couldn't be invaded while in the system menu. I was never proven wrong during my playthroughs, am I wrong? I wouldn't be surprised. :lol

Minamu

Melfice7 said:
just lost 600k souls :D
leZHE.gif

You made it easy there :)

Big Icarus said:
I always thought that when I pushed the PS button to bring up the Playstation menu I was effectively "pausing" so that at least I couldn't be invaded while in the system menu. I was never proven wrong during my playthroughs, am I wrong? I wouldn't be surprised. :lol
THERE IS NO ESCAPE FROM THE NEXUS.

Chris_C

Just killed my first boss (the oozy black demon) head is throbbing, heart is beating. I think I'm gonna calm down for a bit.

Melfice7

im 2 chunks of marrow away of making all weapons uhguhhhh how could i get a pure bladestone before marrow chunks? :s

edit: 1 chunk away!

edit 2: DONE :D

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
This game has been sitting in front of my PS3 for weeks now. I have yet to ever even boot it up after the first time (it patched and I walked away and never went back)...I really should start playing it.

Zzoram

recklessmind said:
Royal is good too because they start soul lvl 1 and don't have a bunch of points wasted on luck.

What time are you free to do the item transfers this weekend? What timezone? I'm EST.

dyergram

Im 50 hrs in just got summoned twice in a row on 1-4 never happened to me before it was amazing. Killed that penetrator dude real quick with some bird wow this game just keeps giving :D

Zzoram

Chris_C said:
lolwhut!? I was crying when I lost 400 earlier.

It gets easier to farm later on. I remember I would feel bad when losing 1000 souls. Then I met Reaper, who gives like 4000 in about a 30 second round trip.

Zzoram

dyergram said:
If I want somebody to join me as a blue phantom do I just have to find their blue stone? Because I've never seen one...

Hang out near boss doors, especially Flamelurker. Everyone seems to do that one together.

Canova

Banned
dyergram said:
If I want somebody to join me as a blue phantom do I just have to find their blue stone? Because I've never seen one...

you have to be in body form in a level where you haven't beaten.

basically you can only play with some one whose level is around your level

if you're playing low level, below 30, world 1-2, 2-1, 4-1
if you're playing mid-level, 30-50, world 1-3, 2-2, 4-2
if you're playing high-level, 40-50 or above, world 1-4

I usually never find any problem finding blue stones if I stick with formula above,

dyergram

Thanks is there a formula for getting summoned as well I pretty much just been putting a blue stone down every time mine disappears while i run around grinding hoping to luck out.

Big Icarus said:

My favorite part of this quote is that on one occasion I had paused to look at some stats while in a level in body form. I got a message from a friend on PSN, hit the PS button and replied (took my sweet time) and when I hit the PS button again I was in the Nexus.

Black. Fucking. Phantoms.

dolemite

Tylahedras said:
My favorite part of this quote is that on one occasion I had paused to look at some stats while in a level in body form. I got a message from a friend on PSN, hit the PS button and replied (took my sweet time) and when I hit the PS button again I was in the Nexus.

Black. Fucking. Phantoms.
You got farmed that's all.

Canova

Banned
dolemite said:
You got farmed that's all.

:lol

dyergram said:
Thanks is there a formula for getting summoned as well I pretty much just been putting a blue stone down every time mine disappears while i run around grinding hoping to luck out.

if you put down a blue stone, you have to stay in the vicinity, you can't wander off. As soon as you cross the fog door, the blue stone will disappear

Just cleared 4-2. Stage boss was probably the less stressful that I've encountered so far. Tomorrow night I will be heading towards 4-3.

I am having a hard time deciding whether to go through with this game or not. Currently I am borrowing it from my local library, so I can't play forever. Seeing that the servers go down next summer I am a little hesitant with buying it. I Enjoy the blood pools and messages, but haven't met any blue or black phantoms (I am in EU if that matters).

My question is - are blue phantoms necessary to beat the game? Sometimes I feel a bit lonely and would like some help :) Will I be missing out if I can't access the server? Or is the game worth, it all alone?

Blue phantoms aren't necessary to beat the game and as far as I know there hasn't been any confirmation about when the servers are shutting down. Even if they do shut down, it's still a very enjoyable experience in offline mode.

Captain Knutsman said:
I am having a hard time deciding whether to go through with this game or not. Currently I am borrowing it from my local library, so I can't play forever. Seeing that the servers go down next summer I am a little hesitant with buying it. I Enjoy the blood pools and messages, but haven't met any blue or black phantoms (I am in EU if that matters).

My question is - are blue phantoms necessary to beat the game? Sometimes I feel a bit lonely and would like some help :) Will I be missing out if I can't access the server? Or is the game worth, it all alone?
They aren't necessary, but they do help a lot if your stuck on a boss or against a BP that just invaded. Unlike BP invading, blue phantoms must be summoned. If you play after the servers go down. The only thing you miss will be the monk's headwrap which is the pvp event. Some of my best experience was coming in as a blue phantom and helping out a friend and vice versa. The co-op and pvp really adds a lot to this game.
I say try it. It doesn't hurt and summon blues if you get stuck on a boss or get invaded.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Zzoram said:
What time are you free to do the item transfers this weekend? What timezone? I'm EST.

I'm EST as well... I have exams today and scuba Saturday morning/afternoon. So I can do it Sat night and anytime on Sunday.

I'll send you a PSN FR later tonight after classes...

Zzoram

recklessmind said:
I'm EST as well... I have exams today and scuba Saturday morning/afternoon. So I can do it Sat night and anytime on Sunday.

I'll send you a PSN FR later tonight after classes...
Late Saturday (midnightish) or Sunday morning and afternoon should work for me.

dyergram

Captain Knutsman said:

Co op is awesome in this game not necessary though I played 50hrs before being summoned also I wouldn't be surprised if they extend the servers as long as people keep buying it.

Melfice7

dyergram said:
Co op is awesome in this game not necessary though I played 50hrs before being summoned also I wouldn't be surprised if they extend the servers as long as people keep buying it.

invading and being invaded and battle for soul levels with the red stone is a huge part of the game once you complete what you need in the "SP"

edit: just platinum'd this bitch for the second time :D maybe i should get the japanese version RAWR

Top Bottom