• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Angst

Finally (I bought DS at the US launch) I managed to both kill Old King Allard and then beat the game. Victory is mine!

Now for NG+...

Rabbitwork said:
yeah i'm getting better at it. sneaking up on the first double samurai one is harder than the second pair. the camera gets kind of janked going through the door there.
going naked (except silver bracelet) for some reason really helped the problems i was having farming 4-2. i don't know if being that much lighter (i was already at 1/2 equip) allows me to get a tiny bit closer or what but i racked up about a 1,000,000 souls last night and gave my stats a good boost (not going for a specific build insomuch as a character i can max out as far as possible). i love how there's always some kind of goal you can set for yourself in this game.

Angst said:
Finally (I bought DS at the US launch) I managed to both kill Old King Allard and then beat the game. Victory is mine!

Now for NG+...
get ready for pain.

Canova

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
going naked (except silver bracelet) for some reason really helped the problems i was having farming 4-2. i don't know if being that much lighter

armor 'clink-clank' sound makes a difference. and so does footstep sound

wotter said:
So LTTP, but I finally bought the game.

So, any tips for a newcomer? Which class should I choose?

If you want something that's easy for your first run, go with a Royal. Also, the best time I can give you is that You. Will. Die. A lot. Don't stress. It happened to all of us.

Ponn

Banned
I have yet to play this and see Amazon has the GH version of this up for preorder with artbook. I keep hearing about this NA dropping support in March 2011 though and makes me wary of buying this. What exactly does that mean dropping support and what are the reprecussions?

oracrest

Ponn01 said:
I have yet to play this and see Amazon has the GH version of this up for preorder with artbook. I keep hearing about this NA dropping support in March 2011 though and makes me wary of buying this. What exactly does that mean dropping support and what are the reprecussions?

They have said the servers will be up until at least March, not that they were going to be taking them down then.

Angst said:
I beat Phalanx without any trouble. But I guess Flamelurker and 4-1 will pose some serious opposition...
it actually hasn't been that hard for me, its just entertaining how far the difficulty jumps.

Ponn

Banned
oracrest said:
They have said the servers will be up until at least March, not that they were going to be taking them down then.

Ok, but I still don't know what the "servers" have to do with the game. I haven't played it yet. Is the game or portions of it dependent on these servers? Can you still play the game after they are taken down or whatever?

Jarlaxle

Ponn01 said:
Ok, but I still don't know what the "servers" have to do with the game. I haven't played it yet. Is the game or portions of it dependent on these servers? Can you still play the game after they are taken down or whatever?

You can play co-op with other people in the game and also against them. On top of that, people can leave messages for each other and you can see people playing (as ghosts) the same sections you're playing. It adds to the experience.

Jarlaxle

I finally beat 2-2 today. I must of kept going down that right path and falling down the planks for about 2 hours before I finally beat that boss. I'm still running with the weapons/armor I started the game with. I did upgrade my Buckler shield once though, but otherwise I still haven't found any other armor yet.

oracrest

Ponn01 said:

I played through my entire first playthrough without doing any online component. This game isn't "online dependent."

There is one item that you will no longer be able to obtain when the servers get shut down, but that's about it.

oracrest said:
I played through my entire first playthrough without doing any online component. This game isn't "online dependent."

There is one item that you will no longer be able to obtain when the servers get shut down, but that's about it.
worth noting that the item isn't required for the platinum. i barely ever play online since i like having total control over my world tendencies.

Canova

Banned
Jarlaxle said:
I finally beat 2-2 today. I must of kept going down that right path and falling down the planks for about 2 hours before I finally beat that boss. I'm still running with the weapons/armor I started the game with. I did upgrade my Buckler shield once though, but otherwise I still haven't found any other armor yet.

you'll find some armors eventually.

Armor here is more for look than anything else. Me personally, I like run around without armor, I'm so badass :D

here's my guy from a few pages back

bcc5a07a.jpg

62f05432.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Jarlaxle said:
You can play co-op with other people in the game and also against them. On top of that, people can leave messages for each other and you can see people playing (as ghosts) the same sections you're playing. It adds to the experience.

Ahh ok. thanks guys. I heard this news alot and thought the servers were a bit more important and didn't want to spend money on something that could be totally gimped within months. If its just co-op and player ghosts I can totally live without that.

CrankyJay

Banned
Kuran said:
So after March 2011 you can no longer play DS online?

That is rather lame..

So how would this affect me playing this for the first time ever? Is online essential to enjoying this?

edit: nvm, just read the post above :lol

canova said:
Even though I have somewhat learned to battle them, the sight of one of these guys is still more than enough to make me shit my pants. Where's that narrow corridor? So far I've only fought them in open environments.

My first playthrough keeps chugging at a nice pace. I just cleared 4-3 and I'm planning to do some manta farming tonight over there.

canova said:
this is the total essence of this game boiled down to a single moment. nothing scares me more than these terrible terrible men and their shiver-inducing ghostly breathing. great image. what shield are you using?

dolemite

Decided to play as a Black Fantom in 1-4 and killed the host with a single Soul Arrow. Kinda feel bad and guilty about it now.

Canova

Banned
SteelAttack said:
Even though I have somewhat learned to battle them, the sight of one of these guys is still more than enough to make me shit my pants. Where's that narrow corridor? So far I've only fought them in open environments.

My first playthrough keeps chugging at a nice pace. I just cleared 4-3 and I'm planning to do some manta farming tonight over there.

For this picture, I had to lure him slowly from the open area in the beginning of 4-1 to the corridor. It's difficult, but the picture is worth it :D

Rabbitwork said:
this is the total essence of this game boiled down to a single moment. nothing scares me more than these terrible terrible men and their shiver-inducing ghostly breathing. great image. what shield are you using?

that's knight shield

I wish if you killed an invading phantom you can no longer be invaded until you die or finish the level. Rather frustrating finally being able to kill an invader, only to have another one a couple minutes later.

I'm convinced and will be buying as soon as I have the money (I'm on my last year of University and my savings recently(and finally) ran out. Until then, I was having some trouble at 3-1 with the rats, who plagued me, I somehow couldn't hit (they seemed to low?) and made me run all the way back to the archstone to avoid dying from plague.... :l

Captain Knutsman said:
I'm convinced and will be buying as soon as I have the money (I'm on my last year of University and my savings recently(and finally) ran out. Until then, I was having some trouble at 3-1 with the rats, who plagued me, I somehow couldn't hit (they seemed to low?) and made me run all the way back to the archstone to avoid dying from plague.... :l
You mean 5-1? I fool around and use either Firestorm or God's Wrath to handle them.

Alastor

I'm searching for a good
demon's
soul that can share with me these things:

- Friend's ring (the one that needs pure white character tendency)
- Phosphorescent Pole
- Blind
- Lava Bow
- pure bladestone
- chunks of mercurystone
- chunks of marrowstone
- shards of moonlightstone

I'll give back everything but materials. If someone needs something for exchange, let me know. I'm SL 155 I think and have the EU version.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game (my most played game this gen BY FAR), but I got tired of farming. Especially when you always play offline... I want to play more, but casually (this is not a good word in case of DS;p). Figured that this is also a good excuse to plug my internet cable to ps3 for a while and finally try playing with someone :) If someone wants to help (or play with me), let me know.

My character is a mage, but with the crescent falhion and blueblood sword I'm probably fighting normally a least as often as I burn shit with fireball.

Also, a question. What's this?

40m2d.jpg

It's at the end of "clarity" trailer. I think I haven't seen anything like it in the game.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I just decided that for gits and shiggles, i'd watch a demons souls walkthrough on youtube and it is reminding me how genius this game is. I might consider it my favorite game this generation.

Sotha Sil

FootNinja said:
I just decided that for gits and shiggles, i'd watch a demons souls walkthrough on youtube and it is reminding me how genius this game is. I might consider it my favorite game this generation.

Exactly. When I stumble upon a DS let's play, I just can't look away. The genius hits you at every turn. If it wasn't for the unintuitive Tendency system, I would have no problem calling Demon's Souls perfect.

Game of the generation indeed.

Canova

Banned
Captain Knutsman said:

or you can just arrow them from above

Canova

Banned
Alastor said:
Also, a question. What's this?

40m2d.jpg

It's at the end of "clarity" trailer. I think I haven't seen anything like it in the game.

where is this from? what trailer?

this could the broken archstone content or the land of the giants?

this will most likely be in the Project Dark

DaBuddaDa

So I finally took a deep breath and dove head first into this, which had been sitting on the shelf for the past ~6 months. I have a few comments and questions to share with you hardcore freaks:

So far I'm not feeling the ruthless difficulty. I took my time and slowly cleared the first level (you call it 1-1?) and didn't die once, mostly thanks to helpful hints left all over the ground and a huge abundance of healing herbs. I'm sure it gets 100x harder later, but I am optimistic that the difficulty won't turn me off completely like it does with some people who can't even beat 1-1.

I started as a Temple Knight so I'm rocking heavy armor and a halberd. I'm not really feeling the halberd though, in tight corridors I keep smacking the side of the wall instead of the enemy in front of me. Which other "starting" weapon would you recommend I switch to? I also have banked around 2500-3000 souls at the moment, what should I spend them on before going to the next level?

dolemite

DaBuddaDa said:

I started as a Temple Knight so I'm rocking heavy armor and a halberd. I'm not really feeling the halberd though, in tight corridors I keep smacking the side of the wall instead of the enemy in front of me. Which other "starting" weapon would you recommend I switch to? I also have banked around 2500-3000 souls at the moment, what should I spend them on before going to the next level?
That's what I did on my very first playthrough and decided to build a Tank character. Just make sure to invest into a good bow for any long distance peppering.

DaBuddaDa said:
So far I'm not feeling the ruthless difficulty. I took my time and slowly cleared the first level
game isn't that hard provided you always do this.

canova said:
where is this from? what trailer?

this could the broken archstone content or the land of the giants?

this will most likely be in the Project Dark
that trailer was january 09 and seems like some of the content in it was altogether cut or changed before the final release. these two shots follow each other and i'm almost positive this area is not in the game.

dsouls.jpg

DaBuddaDa said:
SI started as a Temple Knight so I'm rocking heavy armor and a halberd. I'm not really feeling the halberd though, in tight corridors I keep smacking the side of the wall instead of the enemy in front of me. Which other "starting" weapon would you recommend I switch to? I also have banked around 2500-3000 souls at the moment, what should I spend them on before going to the next level?
I just started a temple knight too and also had the same problem with the halberd. Get the crescent falchion in 4-1 to replace it until you get something better. Me and a friend got that, and ditched our starting weapon. Owned invaders with it in 2-1. The mana regen is nice, especially since you start off with heal. Didn't have to use my herbs near as much as my knight friend.

Man

Rabbitwork said:
that trailer was january 09 and seems like some of the content in it was altogether cut or changed before the final release. these two shots follow each other and i'm almost positive this area is not in the game.
It's the starting area at the outset of the game (you never revisit this after you purposely die and is brought to the Nexus).

Man said:
It's the starting area at the outset of the game (you never revisit this after you purposely die and is brought to the Nexus).
that would explain it. i've only been there once and that was 80 game hours ago. every subsequent character i've started i skip it.

Canova

Banned
Shalashaska said:
I wish if you killed an invading phantom you can no longer be invaded until you die or finish the level. Rather frustrating finally being able to kill an invader, only to have another one a couple minutes later.

Invasions can be tough on new players, hang in there. New players are just like those small baby crocodiles in the Discovery channel. They are being hunted when they're small, but once they grow up they're the hunters. :D

I decided to be evil tonight. I just invaded and killed a few people :D

Top Bottom