• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

finally killed the red dragon. I really wish the game would designate a soul price per stats so that you would spend the same but make it easier to feel stronger earlier. Took me forever to get enough strength to use the compound short bow. I finally got a sweet spot on the bridge in 1-2 and killed the dragon with soul ray.

Does soul arrow do more damage per mp than soul ray?

i am so hooked right now though. Also my physical attack does not seem to be increasing at all. is more damage dependent on the stat letter ranking per weapon now?

Chris_C

bunbun777 said:
1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 2-2, 2-3, 4-2, 4-3, 3-2, 3-3, 5-2, 5-3, 1-3, 1-4.

Is this the recommended level progression for noobs? I ask because I've quickly developed a crippling fear of exploration after my first run in with the red eye Knight (two days of trying, and constant death).

Canova

Banned
Krauser Kat said:
finally killed the red dragon. I really wish the game would designate a soul price per stats so that you would spend the same but make it easier to feel stronger earlier. Took me forever to get enough strength to use the compound short bow. I finally got a sweet spot on the bridge in 1-2 and killed the dragon with soul ray.

Does soul arrow do more damage per mp than soul ray?

i am so hooked right now though. Also my physical attack does not seem to be increasing at all. is more damage dependent on the stat letter ranking per weapon now?

have you upgraded your weapons?

STR and DEX are the primary stats for melee

Chris_C said:
Is this the recommended level progression for noobs? I ask because I've quickly developed a crippling fear of exploration after my first run in with the red eye Knight (two days of trying, and constant death).

crippling fear :lol yea, this game will do that to you. My hands were sweating in my first playthru, no other game had ever done that to me.

Don't bother with the red-eye in 1-1 yet

I'd say

1-1, 2-1, 1-2, 3-1, 4-1, etc

Chris_C

canova said:
crippling fear :lol yea, this game will do that to you. My hands were sweating in my first playthru, no other game had ever done that to me.

Don't bother with the red-eye in 1-1 yet

I'd say

1-1, 2-1, 1-2, 3-1, 4-1, etc

Thank you sir, my sense of adventure appreciates your help.

My current equip is the plus 1 flachion. I swap the rune shield for adjuncator when I need health.

The red eye is super easy to get him to fall off the stairs and die. Or bust out the thief ring and shoot him in the face with soul arrow. Run away he will chase then give up and walk back. Shoot him in the back and rinse.

The rewt of my equip is fluted armor black gloves and legs silver cornet.

Zzoram

recklessmind said:
I'm EST as well... I have exams today and scuba Saturday morning/afternoon. So I can do it Sat night and anytime on Sunday.

I'll send you a PSN FR later tonight after classes...

I couldn't get on earlier. If you're able to go on soon I can probably go on around 130am EST. If not, how about 11am Sunday.

You'll have to withdraw all the items you want to transfer and the world tendency event stuff, hopefully you can hold most of it and walk. Where do you want to meet? Can we summon in 1-1? I've never tried it because we don't get the blue stone until after that. If we can summon in 1-1 we could meet there, since we're similar level (~60) and most of the people in 1-1 should be really low level, we should be the only ones there.

After much cursing and fist shaking, I finally hit my stride. Soul level 99 so far, cleared world 2, 3 and 4, today I cleared 3-2, 3-3, 2-2 and 2-3. Will now head straight towards 5-2 and 5-3 to leave 1-3 and 1-4 for the end.

I can't get Ed to make me stuff.

Canova

Banned
SteelAttack said:
After much cursing and fist shaking, I finally hit my stride. Soul level 99 so far, cleared world 2, 3 and 4, today I cleared 3-2, 3-3, 2-2 and 2-3. Will now head straight towards 5-2 and 5-3 to leave 1-3 and 1-4 for the end.

Bring flamelurker soul. Keep talking to him till he asks for the demon's souls, then give it to him

Shinjitsu

Banned
SteelAttack said:

You need to give Ed flamelurkers soul. Talk to him over and over eventually he will ask for it if you have it.

Zzoram

recklessmind

Turns out I can be online now (10am EST) due to daylight savings. I may be on and off throughout the day from 10am-4pm. If I'm playing God of War 3 just message me and I'll switch. Hopefully I catch you.

GAF, I'm new to this game and I'm just passed the tutorial, have 1700 souls (or whatever!) and have this merchant in front of me, should I just spend it all on gear? Just ahead there's a dragon and I'm pretty sure he's going to kill me, which would make me loose my souls but keep my stuff, right? Wrong?

Zzoram

Danne-Danger said:
GAF, I'm new to this game and I'm just passed the tutorial, have 1700 souls (or whatever!) and have this merchant in front of me, should I just spend it all on gear? Just ahead there's a dragon and I'm pretty sure he's going to kill me, which would make me loose my souls but keep my stuff, right? Wrong?

You can't level up with souls until you beat the first boss so souls don't really matter before then. Just spend it on crescent moon grass (healing item).

Canova

Banned
Danne-Danger said:

I'd say risk it. thére's nothing ther worth buying. but if you manage to beat 1-1 with that 1700 souls you can use it to upgrade your character

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Zzoram said:
recklessmind

Turns out I can be online now (10am EST) due to daylight savings. I may be on and off throughout the day from 10am-4pm. If I'm playing God of War 3 just message me and I'll switch. Hopefully I catch you.

Ok... I pm'd you a big-ass list of stuff I have. Most of it is common/redundant... but maybe you'll find something in there. There are some demon's souls and chunk/pure stones at the least.

Hey Gaf can you summon 1-1? (not NG+)

Zzoram

recklessmind said:
Ok... I pm'd you a big-ass list of stuff I have. Most of it is common/redundant... but maybe you'll find something in there. There are some demon's souls and chunk/pure stones at the least.

Hey Gaf can you summon 1-1? (not NG+)

I just went over the list, sorry I took so long.

I'm heading to the PS3 now. If we can't summon in 1-1 maybe we can do 1-2 since it's like 10 steps away :lol

Chris_C

I started out as a Soldier because it seemed the most balanced class, but now I'm thinking of restarting (again) since I heard that Luck is pretty much useless, and that Royal is the way to go, is this a wise idea or should I just stick to my soldier? (I like melee attacking anyway, but I do wish he was a bit nippier).

Holy shit. 5-2 is a bitch of a level. You can't walk two steps without being poisoned. I get easily lost, and there's a BP dude with a HUGE fucking sword that has already killed me twice.

On the bright side, my crescent Uchigatana is now +4. It'll probably stay there since the silver lizards from 4-2 and 4-3 do no longer appear. Still a great weapon, though.

I found and upgraded a Dark Heater Shield, right now it's +4, and I noticed it has better stats than the Adjudicator Shield. Should I stick with it or should I bother giving the Yellow Demon Soul Ed is asking to upgrade the Adj. Shield to +1? In other words, what shield should I stick with for the final part of the game?

Zzoram

Recklessmind,

it might take a few tries to summon me, other people keep summoning me :lol

ps remember you need to be in body form

Canova

Banned
Chris_C said:
I started out as a Soldier because it seemed the most balanced class, but now I'm thinking of restarting (again) since I heard that Luck is pretty much useless, and that Royal is the way to go, is this a wise idea or should I just stick to my soldier? (I like melee attacking anyway, but I do wish he was a bit nippier).

if you like melee, then Soldier is the way to go. Beef up your endurance, str or dex (depends on your weapons)
if you range or magic, then mage is the way

There's only thin line between classes in this game. Eventually you can upgrade your soldier to become as powerful as a mage.

Chris_C

canova said:
if you like melee, then Soldier is the way to go. Beef up your endurance, str or dex (depends on your weapons)
if you range or magic, then mage is the way

There's only thin line between classes in this game. Eventually you can upgrade your soldier to become as powerful as a mage.

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice!

Evolved1

Zzoram said:
Recklessmind,

it might take a few tries to summon me, other people keep summoning me :lol
:lol

So i go back to nexus? And then back to 1-1?

Sotha Sil

Chris_C said:

I you like heavy melee fighting, I would advise keeping your Soldier; I prefer the Knight's starting equipment myself, but it's not worth rerolling for. Start a Royal on the side to see if you like the dexterity-based melee fighting (rolling, backstabbing) and magic better.

Good luck!

Canova

Banned
SteelAttack said:
Holy shit. 5-2 is a bitch of a level. You can't walk two steps without being poisoned. I get easily lost, and there's a BP dude with a HUGE fucking sword that has already killed me twice.

On the bright side, my crescent Uchigatana is now +4. It'll probably stay there since the silver lizards from 4-2 and 4-3 do no longer appear. Still a great weapon, though.

I found and upgraded a Dark Heater Shield, right now it's +4, and I noticed it has better stats than the Adjudicator Shield. Should I stick with it or should I bother giving the Yellow Demon Soul Ed is asking to upgrade the Adj. Shield to +1? In other words, what shield should I stick with for the final part of the game?

hmm, I thought you upgrade Adjudicator shield with colorless demon's souls not Yellow demon''s souls.

Adjudicator shield is good for vitality regen. You can stack up Adj shield + blessed weapons + regen ring, and you'll never need to chew on grasses ever again

Shinjitsu

Banned
canova said:
hmm, I thought you upgrade Adjudicator shield with colorless demon's souls not Yellow demon''s souls.

Adjudicator shield is good for vitality regen. You can stack up Adj shield + blessed weapons + regen ring, and you'll never need to chew on grasses ever again

Adjudicator Shield is definitely upgraded with colorless souls. Use one with my meatcleaver build:D

Evolved1

Zzoram said:
lets go to 4-1, 1-1 is way too busy i keep getting summoned and have to suicide

Ok... I'm there... I really don't understand how this stuff works. smh

Zzoram

recklessmind said:

are you body form? ie. is your hp bar full or half? you have to be alive to summon blues. stone of ephemereal eyes can revive you to body form

Canova

Banned
recklessmind said:

to summon someone, you have to be in body form in a level you haven't beaten

once you beat that level, you won't see any blue sign and you can't be invaded there

Evolved1

Zzoram said:
are you body form? ie. is your hp bar full or half? you have to be alive to summon blues. stone of ephemereal eyes can revive you to body form

Yeah... I'm in body form full health... I just don't see your blue summon thing... I've tried staying put and going back and forth to the nexus...

Zzoram

canova said:
to summon someone, you have to be in body form in a level you haven't beaten

once you beat that level, you won't see any blue sign and you can't be invaded

ooooh

recklessmind what level haven't you beaten? maybe i should summon since i probably beat fewer levels. I never beat 4-2 so maybe you should die and be in soul form and i can summon you in 4-2

i didn't know about the "must be level you haven't beaten" thing

Evolved1

Zzoram said:
ooooh

what level haven't you beaten? maybe i should summon since i probably beat fewer levels. I never beat 4-2 so maybe you should die and be in soul form and i can summon you in 4-2

I haven't beaten 4-2 either... summon me in 4-2

edit: Thanks canova!

Zzoram

recklessmind said:
I haven't beaten 4-2 either...

ok lets just meet in 4-2 beside the shopkeeper graverobber blige in the hall towards the reaper. its really close to spawning arch stone, good farming spot, you know it?

if you're already in body form summon me in 4-2

im in soul form and put down a blue stone beside graverobber blige near the start of 4-2

Evolved1

Zzoram said:
ok lets just meet in 4-2 beside the shopkeeper graverobber blige in the hall towards the reaper. its really close to spawning arch stone, good farming spot, you know it?

if you're already in body form summon me in 4-2

Yeah... it won't let me summon.

whats you charater's name?

Zzoram

recklessmind said:
Yeah... it won't let me summon.

what level are you? i'm SL61, north america server

how about 4-2 slightly BEHIND the archstone, its just a dead end, but hopefully fewer people see my stone and stop summoning me

NEVERMIND

behind the archstone will count as 4-1

so slightly in front of the archstone of 4-2

Evolved1

Zzoram said:
damnit some other guy summoned me!

why is the server so busy :lol

I GOT INVADED AND KILLED WHILE I WAS ON GAF!!! aarragh! :lol :lol :lol

what a douche, backstabbing me in front a merchant.

Zzoram... can we try this another day? This took way longer than I thought it would... but at least now I know what stuff you want and how to do it. We'll figure out a better way to coordinate than on a gaf thread.

Zzoram

recklessmind said:

Zzoram... can we try this another day? This took way longer than I thought it would... but at least now I know what stuff you want and how to do it. We'll figure out a better way to coordinate than on a gaf thread.

ya sorry man, this is hard, ive been summoned so many times into other games, just let me know when you're free next in this thread, i usually have this thread open

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
what level are you? i'm SL61, north america server

how about 4-2 slightly BEHIND the archstone, its just a dead end, but hopefully fewer people see my stone and stop summoning me

you can't lay a blue stone in the boss area.

world 4 is the busiest for online play. I'd say world 5, find an obscure spot and put your blue sign there

Canova

Banned
recklessmind said:

i was gonna mention something about the invasions and world 4, but I kept quiet :lol

world 4 is invaders hunting ground

Evolved1

Zzoram said:
ya sorry man, this is hard, ive been summoned so many times into other games, just let me know when you're free next in this thread, i usually have this thread open

Ok... it's funny because out of so many time tried to get summoned... I never have been. You get summed a bunch of times straightaway. On 1-1 even! :lol :lol

canova said:

i was gonna mention something about the invasions and world 4, but I kept quiet :lol

world 4 is invaders hunting ground

I'm standing there at the merchant... no armor, no weapons... because I'm trying to hold a bunch of stuff to transfer... and he stabs me in the back. What a wuss. At least wait for me to move around so it's a fight at least!

Even with my bare hands/no armor... people have no sense of gamesmanship.

canova said:

Shinjitsu said:
Adjudicator Shield is definitely upgraded with colorless souls. Use one with my meatcleaver build:D
Oops. My bad. :D

Zzoram

recklessmind said:
Ok... it's funny because out of so many time tried to get summoned... I never have been. You get summed a bunch of times straightaway. On 1-1 even! :lol :lol

Im not sure how i got summoned into 1-1. I would assume it has to be NG+ people, since you can't get to lvl 60s without beating 1-1.

i think weekend around noon is probably just a busy time for play

Evolved1

Zzoram said:
Im not sure how i got summoned into 1-1. I would assume it has to be NG+ people, since you can't get to lvl 60s without beating 1-1.

i think weekend around noon is probably just a busy time for play

Even though this was a complete failure... I got a pretty good laugh at the end. :lol

Thanks for trying Zzoram, we'll do it on a less busy day next time.

Zzoram

recklessmind said:
Even though this was a complete failure... I got a pretty good laugh at the end. :lol

Thanks for trying Zzoram, we'll do it on a less busy day next time.

one of the games I got summoned into there was an invader that got swarmed by the host and blues, in 4-2 by the shopkeep

it's definitely a popular invading spot

Draft

This game is wild.

I guess I had a Demon's Souls moment playing it the other night.

The first level and boss were pretty easy. I wasn't quite ready to poo poo all the talk I've read about this game being hard as nuts, but the notion that it wasn't that hard (or I was just that good) was in the back of my head. That shit changed pretty quickly in the second level. I got my shit pushed in about 5 times by some fat laughing fuck who tossed fireballs and his pack of loud ass motherfucking barking dogs. But that was just me being garbage. His pattern is nothing special, the dogs aren't especially troublesome if you fight them in the right place, and I was just being a chump.

Once I figured out how to deal with that dude I was rolling again. My guy is a Royal and I just toss fireballs / soul arrows at hard enemies while cleaning up the scrubs with a rapier. My fireball does enough damage to kill practically everything except the fat dudes in one hit. I have an absolutely silly amount of healing grass. Once again, I'm getting that feeling. This game isn't that tough. You roll out of the way, you shoot a fireball, it's cake.

After cruising for a bit I'm at what must be the boss room, because it's covered in webs and the door is huge. I walk in, this big ass spider is shooting fireballs down a tunnel at me. Oh wow, look, something else to roll away from. Easy. Then all of the sudden it pegs me with a web, and now I'm stuck, and it follows up with a fireball that eats most of my health. I run behind a corner that someone has conveniently marked as "safe" (by the way the fucking messages crack me up) and chow some grass. OK, so dodge the web shot, dodge the fireball, get up close to the spider, hit him. Easy.

Not fucking easy.

I try, but my fat western fingers aren't fast enough. My MTV addled brain is not fast enough. I get hit by webs. I get hit by fireballs. The spider wins. He doesn't just win. He beat me up and he robbed my souls. They're in his zone. Getting them back is a one way trip. So fuck that shit, I am all heated from getting beat and from losing like 5k souls. I am going back in there.

And he kills me, again. And again. And again.

I'm not sure how many times total. At least 3 or 4. Every time, I try some goofball strategy or positioning trick, and it doesn't help. My once vast supply of grass is now almost gone. Like, I ate all the fucking grass fighting this guy. He's still got my souls. I am almost at the breaking point. The web is too fast. It's impossible to dodge once you're stuck. I come this close to throwing the pad into the ground, but self control gets the better of it and I just let the thing drop from slightly too tall a height. I am fucking salty.

It was close. I was this close to saying to hell with it, letting the stupid spider have the souls and calling it a night. But man FUCK THAT. That is some bullshit. Fucking games are for conquering and I will be fucked if I'm going to let this spider get the better of me. I pack up my last few pieces of grass and head back in.

And this time it clicks. I see the spider always hops out of sight before shooting his web. Now I can dodge it. Without the web to slow me down, fireballs are nothing. I am just straight blasting this motherfucker with soul arrows right to his stupid spider grill. He's not even touching me. After a few minutes it's over. That dude is dead. I point directly at my television and yell "that's right, fuck you. Gimme my souls."

I really like this game. It has some amazing annoying jank with the auto aim and the camera in tight places, but overall it is a magical weeaboo experience. It's games like Demon's Souls that make me happy there's still crazy ass Japanese studios cranking out absolutely batshit games.

Zzoram

Ya this is definitely a trial and error game, but once you figure out a boss, you can often beat them without even getting hit once. The only exception is probably Flamelurker, I don't see how you could avoid getting hit by him.

gdt

Just cracked open 1-1, and beating that boss was a joyous experience. Lit my long sword on fire with Turpentine and it was over.

Started as a knight, but I need to get a crossbow/magic soon :/.

Evolved1

That was fun to read, Draft.

I had a similar experience in the same place... the spider was my first real challenge. But my knight was straight-up melee character with no magic at all. Took a while to beat it, but I talked so much shit to my TV when I finally did kill it. :lol

Now it's easy. That's the thing... I haven't done NG+ yet... but it seems once you finally figure a tough enemy out, they become easy. And then you go through those levels feeling like you own them, and wondering how they ever gave you trouble.

But in the back of my mind I'm thinking... "Yeah... enjoy it tough guy, because NG+ is coming."

Top Bottom