• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
gdt5016 said:
Just cracked open 1-1, and beating that boss was a joyous experience. Lit my long sword on fire with Turpentine and it was over.

Started as a knight, but I need to get a crossbow/magic soon :/.

There's an easy crossbow pickup in 1-1.
Right after the first blue knight, there's a break in the rock wall ledge... looks like you'd fall down, but there's actually an area to drop down to. Full health, you shouldn't die dropping down there. And the crossbow is right there.

Canova

Banned
Nice story and impression.

Keep posting your progress or questions here.

Draft said:
This game is wild.

I guess I had a Demon's Souls moment playing it the other night.

The first level and boss were pretty easy. I wasn't quite ready to poo poo all the talk I've read about this game being hard as nuts, but the notion that it wasn't that hard (or I was just that good) was in the back of my head. That shit changed pretty quickly in the second level. I got my shit pushed in about 5 times by some fat laughing fuck who tossed fireballs and his pack of loud ass motherfucking barking dogs. But that was just me being garbage. His pattern is nothing special, the dogs aren't especially troublesome if you fight them in the right place, and I was just being a chump.

Once I figured out how to deal with that dude I was rolling again. My guy is a Royal and I just toss fireballs / soul arrows at hard enemies while cleaning up the scrubs with a rapier. My fireball does enough damage to kill practically everything except the fat dudes in one hit. I have an absolutely silly amount of healing grass. Once again, I'm getting that feeling. This game isn't that tough. You roll out of the way, you shoot a fireball, it's cake.

After cruising for a bit I'm at what must be the boss room, because it's covered in webs and the door is huge. I walk in, this big ass spider is shooting fireballs down a tunnel at me. Oh wow, look, something else to roll away from. Easy. Then all of the sudden it pegs me with a web, and now I'm stuck, and it follows up with a fireball that eats most of my health. I run behind a corner that someone has conveniently marked as "safe" (by the way the fucking messages crack me up) and chow some grass. OK, so dodge the web shot, dodge the fireball, get up close to the spider, hit him. Easy.

Not fucking easy.

I try, but my fat western fingers aren't fast enough. My MTV addled brain is not fast enough. I get hit by webs. I get hit by fireballs. The spider wins. He doesn't just win. He beat me up and he robbed my souls. They're in his zone. Getting them back is a one way trip. So fuck that shit, I am all heated from getting beat and from losing like 5k souls. I am going back in there.

And he kills me, again. And again. And again.

I'm not sure how many times total. At least 3 or 4. Every time, I try some goofball strategy or positioning trick, and it doesn't help. My once vast supply of grass is now almost gone. Like, I ate all the fucking grass fighting this guy. He's still got my souls. I am almost at the breaking point. The web is too fast. It's impossible to dodge once you're stuck. I come this close to throwing the pad into the ground, but self control gets the better of it and I just let the thing drop from slightly too tall a height. I am fucking salty.

It was close. I was this close to saying to hell with it, letting the stupid spider have the souls and calling it a night. But man FUCK THAT. That is some bullshit. Fucking games are for conquering and I will be fucked if I'm going to let this spider get the better of me. I pack up my last few pieces of grass and head back in.

And this time it clicks. I see the spider always hops out of sight before shooting his web. Now I can dodge it. Without the web to slow me down, fireballs are nothing. I am just straight blasting this motherfucker with soul arrows right to his stupid spider grill. He's not even touching me. After a few minutes it's over. That dude is dead. I point directly at my television and yell "that's right, fuck you. Gimme my souls."

I really like this game. It has some amazing annoying jank with the auto aim and the camera in tight places, but overall it is a magical weeaboo experience. It's games like Demon's Souls that make me happy there's still crazy ass Japanese studios cranking out absolutely batshit games.

So I made some progress on my last session. Beat 3-2, 3-3 and maybe half of 1-3 (rescued Biorr and the witch chick) and whit world tendency stuff for world 3.

I didn't find the maneater battle to be so bad. I beat them on my third try, on on the earlier tries I got cheaply knocked down from the ledge, otherwise I would probably have beaten them on my first try. I think I have pretty much found the win button (at least for NG, probably not for NG+ and beyond) with the Warding spell and the dragon long sword, The spell makes sure I can play really sloppily and still survive, while the dragon long sword +4 makes the battles go a lot quicker (I can one-shot most non-boss enemies with it). Also, me having an easy time with the maneater battle can probably be explained by me going through the levels in an odd order. I think most people do that level a lot more early than me. Still, I can't deny taking some pleasure from returning the favor to the levels that would earlier rip me apart. :lol

The 3-3 battle was a bit disappointing. I had been looking forward to some PVP, but when I actually got to the boss (not getting killed by those black phantom prison guards) he was CPU controlled. Afterwards, I found out the game had logged me out of the servers for some reason (it does that from time to time). :(

Anyway, I am really enjoying the game. I'm a bit sad that my busy schedule will prevent me from playing during the next week.

RyanDG

So I finally got to the Maneaters.

Fuck my life.

Seriously.

I never understood the Maneater cartoons until now, but now... I'm getting nightmares even thinking about that crap. And just when I thought I almost beat one of them, a second one appeared. What the hell am I supposed to do with that bullshit?

I hate you right now demon's souls. I hate you so hard.

I really love you, promise.

I just laid down my first Blue Stone, and got summoned on 4-1. There were a couple dudes already there, one of them looked really powerful with the monk's headwrap and lights floating around his head. Anyway, I must have done something wrong, since all we did was just stand there staring at each other. A red phantom got summoned twice, but he was promptly killed by the floating lights dude. Afterwards, we just lingered there doing nothing. Then I left.

I must be too high of a SL now (101 so far) for someone to summon me to help. Will keep that in mind for further playthroughs, to try out MP before advancing too much in my build.

I guess I should try to invade someone if I want to have some PvP action. Any advice? I have never invaded anyone.

Canova

Banned
SteelAttack said:
I just laid down my first Blue Stone, and got summoned on 4-1. There were a couple dudes already there, one of them looked really powerful with the monk's headwrap and lights floating around his head. Anyway, I must have done something wrong, since all we did was just stand there staring at each other. A red phantom got summoned twice, but he was promptly killed by the floating lights dude. Afterwards, we just lingered there doing nothing. Then I left.

I must be too high of a SL now (101 so far) for someone to summon me to help. Will keep that in mind for further playthroughs, to try out MP before advancing too much in my build.

I guess I should try to invade someone if I want to have some PvP action. Any advice? I have never invaded anyone.

yeah those people are there only for PvP action. Usually we don't gang up on the opponent, we let them fight 1 on 1.

Lvl 101 is prime for PvP in world 4

Canova

Banned
Here's me taking my time posing as a black phantom. I invaded 1-3 and ran as fast as I could to the boss gate, and waited for my host to finish off his enemies. While he was busy with enemies, I took this picture.

...then I killed him, I feel so evil :D

2b9ce60a.jpg

Draft

4-1 is not kidding around. WTF at the second area. Giant monster thing, skeleton archers, manta rays shooting spears and this black dual wielding skeleton bad ass.

Jarlaxle

I beat 2-3 today and finally found Ed in 2-1. I must have searched the entire level again and then on my way back to the nexus after I had given up, I found him on the elevator shaft on my way back down.

I started 4-1 as I heard that world 4 was better to farm souls. Those skeletons are a lot faster and freakier than the world 1 skeletons. I made it probably about half way through the level and was invaded for the first time. I finished up who I was fighting and waited for my opponent to draw near but he was defeated by the computer so I still have yet to fight any real life opponent (although I don't feel like I'd fair well as I use magic quite alot. I'm playing as a royal my fist playthrough).

I also finally found some other weapons and stuff. It only took about 10 hours into the game and 5 levels beaten.

I didn't have too hard a time with levels, 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, and 2-3. However I'm pretty worried about the rest of the game and whether I'll be able to keep up. My magic will eventually fail me.....right?

This game is great though. :D

Tonight I finally cleared the fifth world. It really is a shithole. I thought giant depraved ones were a pain in the ass...until I met plague babies. Fucking abominations. I'm going to have nightmares with them.

Now I only have 1-3 and onward ahead of me. I'll spend the next few days soul grinding to raise my MAG/INT at least to decent levels.

Actually, I don't want the game to end.

Draft said:
4-1 is not kidding around. WTF at the second area. Giant monster thing, skeleton archers, manta rays shooting spears and this black dual wielding skeleton bad ass.
4-1 is so awesome. its actually a really short level. If you take a kind of short cut. Tons of souls here too.

Shinjitsu

Banned
SteelAttack said:
Tonight I finally cleared the fifth world. It really is a shithole. I thought giant depraved ones were a pain in the ass...until I met plague babies. Fucking abominations. I'm going to have nightmares with them.

Now I only have 1-3 and onward ahead of me. I'll spend the next few days soul grinding to raise my MAG/INT at least to decent levels.

Newgame++++++

The game never has to end!

Canova

Banned
SteelAttack said:

yeah what Shinjitsu said
- NG++++, etc it's a different ball game, The difficulty in NG+ jumps considerably. enemies has more HP, has more resistance to anything, does 50% more damage
- You have to work on those trophies
- Explore online, be a blue phantom to help new players, or black phantom
- Create new character
etc

NG+ is where the fun starts, you can explore the levels more leisurely since you know what's coming

Draft said:

Just gave 4-1 a shot also, was really surprised by the standard enemies which all had the potential to kill me. That giant monster thing was
pretty harmless, he just stood there and let me use my bow and magic to slowly but surely kill him. Was he not supposed to attack me?

Should there be a link to http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/ in the OP? It has been most helpful for me trying to figure out how I got my soldier to do magic and such ;)

Canova

Banned
Captain Knutsman said:
Just gave 4-1 a shot also, was really surprised by the standard enemies which all had the potential to kill me. That giant monster thing was
pretty harmless, he just stood there and let me use my bow and magic to slowly but surely kill him. Was he not supposed to attack me?

Should there be a link to http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/ in the OP? It has been most helpful for me trying to figure out how I got my soldier to do magic and such ;)

well come closer to him, see he attacks you then ;P

poweld

Just finished my first playthrough last night as a mage. Man, once this game got its hooks into me they were in DEEP. I think I finished around soul level 80. The final boss was a bastard considering how long it took to get to him each time I tried (took me 3-4 attempts).

Got into NG+ and ran through a couple of levels. I know there is still some content left uncovered, and I may start again as a fighter or archer.

canova said:
yeah what Shinjitsu said
- NG++++, etc it's a different ball game, The difficulty in NG+ jumps considerably. enemies has more HP, has more resistance to anything, does 50% more damage
- You have to work on those trophies
- Explore online, be a blue phantom to help new players, or black phantom
- Create new character
etc

NG+ is where the fun starts, you can explore the levels more leisurely since you know what's coming
question, does every successive NG+ get harder? as in, is jump in difficulty from NG+ to NG++ the same as first playthrough to NG+?

Canova

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
question, does every successive NG+ get harder? as in, is jump in difficulty from NG+ to NG++ the same as first playthrough to NG+?

yes it got harder.
- NG+ is 50% harder than NG
- NG++ is 10% harder than NG+
- NG+++ is 10% harder than NG++
and so on

Got into NG+ and ran through a couple of levels. I know there is still some content left uncovered, and I may start again as a fighter or archer.

yes do a fighter/melee-run, the game will feel much different

just it case anyone wanted here is a download for all of the maps off of the wikidot in a pdf format. Im thinking of going through and redrawing them in vector and separate the floors into pages of the pdf.

Maps

poweld

Krauser Kat said:
just it case anyone wanted here is a download for all of the maps off of the wikidot in a pdf format. Im thinking of going through and redrawing them in vector and separate the floors into pages of the pdf.

Maps
Nice, thanks for this, will be nice to have everything compiled together.

Krauser Kat said:

Maps
i can help you with that if you'd like.

oracrest

MidnightRider said:
I still need to get back going on this.

Put it on hold for a little while.

I did the same. didn't play it at all for about 4 or 5 months back when Monster Hunter Tri came out. I liked it though, when I went back to it, I finished the rest rather quickly, and in NG+, I had almost forgotten the level layouts, so the game was fresh that second time around.

Fox1304

I don't understand the black phantom system ...
I put a blue stone , i spawn as a BP with the turban in that large room with chairs and ...what ?
I waitthere for the player to come, and duel ? I must be missing something, but what ?
Why can't i leave the room ?

Fox1304 said:
I put a blue stone , i spawn as a BP with the turban in that large room with chairs and ...what ?
I waitthere for the player to come, and duel ? I must be missing something, but what ?

You chose the only place where setting up a blue stone will probably end up in you invading another player's world as a black phantom.

It's because the game is set up so that the boss (old monk) is preferably played by a human. Demon's souls doesn't give a shit about you wanting to help :D.

In that instance you're indeed stuck until the player enters and you fight.

In any other (sub)level a blue stone will allow players to summon you as a blue to help them and a black stone will allow you to invade another player's level.

oracrest

I tried to defeat Old Monk with my magic only character, but it was just too hard. Magic is so hard with PVP, because it's easy as nuts to dodge, and you can see it coming from a mile away. I tried a handful of times, but just couldn't defeat the other human players. I finally just switched to offline, and defeated old Wolverine.

Finally got my Latria Tower to white tendency so I could get Sage Freke's gear though.

Canova

Banned
Fox1304 said:

Basically the archdemon summoned you to fight for him

oracrest said:
I tried to defeat Old Monk with my magic only character, but it was just too hard. Magic is so hard with PVP, because it's easy as nuts to dodge, and you can see it coming from a mile away. I tried a handful of times, but just couldn't defeat the other human players. I finally just switched to offline, and defeated old Wolverine.

Finally got my Latria Tower to white tendency so I could get Sage Freke's gear though.

and there's another area in 3-1 where you can access and get some nice loots if you have PWWT.

Fox1304

Yay 3-1 boss down, and
Freke freed
, 20k souls to cash in and plenty of new stuff to try.
What level should i head next ?

Zzoram

Fox1304 said:
Yay 3-1 boss down, and
Freke freed
, 20k souls to cash in and plenty of new stuff to try.
What level should i head next ?
Spend that 20k on Evacuate, I forget if it's a miracle or spell. It's super useful for farming souls though.

Fox1304

I forgot about the soul items ... I have much more actually :D
Should i spend my boss souls on the spells teached by Freke, or is there better things to do with them ? ( mage type character here )

Zzoram said:
Spend that 20k on Evacuate, I forget if it's a miracle or spell. It's super useful for farming souls though.
its a miracle, requires one slot. and yes, if you intend on playing this game for a long time, buy evacuate asap.

Fox1304 said:
I forgot about the soul items ... I have much more actually :D
Should i spend my boss souls on the spells teached by Freke, or is there better things to do with them ? ( mage type character here )
for mage characters its going to be more beneficial to have more spells/miracles at your disposal. if you're playing for trophies you'll eventually have to spend those souls (in NG+ and onward) on other things like weapons.

the demon's souls wiki page is a great resource to tell you which souls are used for the various spells/weapons/miracles.

Zzoram said:
Miracle. Needs the Talisman for it to work, but definitely handy when you're in tight spots with few healing items at hand and a throng of enemies between you and the next archstone.

Fox1304

So, i have 36k souls.
The Evacuate spell will be useful just to finish the game ? Will farming be necessary ?
I've already got the quick fireball spell and the soul arrow too.
Shouldn't i spend those souls on stats ',

Victrix

*beard*
I just want to say every time this thread pops up, I see the '2' in the title and go 'ohshi!'

So basically fuck you guys :mad:

Canova

Banned
Fox1304 said:
So, i have 36k souls.
The Evacuate spell will be useful just to finish the game ? Will farming be necessary ?
I've already got the quick fireball spell and the soul arrow too.
Shouldn't i spend those souls on stats ',

spend it on second chance miracle. very useful in 1-3 and 1-4 and ng+

Fox1304

Had to spend 3 SL to reach the 10 in faith so i had not enough souls.
But i'll see for liracles after next level.
Heading for 4-1, let's hope that's a good choice ^^

Canova

Banned
Victrix said:
I just want to say every time this thread pops up, I see the '2' in the title and go 'ohshi!'

So basically fuck you guys :mad:

why?

this is only the longest active thread in GAF. The original OT was started in Feb 2009.

Fox1304

I just fell a stair and met a dual katana wielding skeleton with red eyes. He didn't really invite me for a cup of tea ;(

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
canova said:
why?

this is only the longest active thread in GAF. The original OT was started in Feb 2009.
I'm guessing it's because you guys get his hopes up for this being about demons souls 2 and he gets excited, only to have his hopes dashed.

Fox1304 said:
I just fell a stair and met a dual katana wielding skeleton with red eyes. He didn't really invite me for a cup of tea ;(
Welcome to 4-1! Enjoy your stay. :p
Ninja: Might try to get the Crescent Falchion+1 from 4-1 if you haven't done so already.

Fox1304

Yay, died as a soul by a lovely trap that i dodged about 20 times already ...
Lost 25k souls, time to put the game down a bit :D

Krauser Kat said:

Maps
just as an fyi, i started redrawing the 1-1 map in illustrator to see how long the process might take.

it might take awhile.

dolemite

oracrest said:

Or you could've just killed him and get his gear anyway.

oracrest

dolemite said:
Or you could've just killed him and get his gear anyway.

But this playthrough I am using a magic user, so I need him around to teach me spells. I haven't freed Yuria yet. Also, as a somewhat different arbitrary goal this time around, I am trying to get my Nexus as full as possible. I haven't even talked to the blue guy, so he is still hanging out there.

oracrest said:
I haven't even talked to the blue guy, so he is still hanging out there.
This was a shocking moment for me. :lol One minute he was all chatty-chatty, then he suddenly doesn't want to talk anymore.

Afterwards...

oracrest

Here is a shot of my mage, after collecting Sage's gear (It was a particularly daunting time in Latria because I had full white world tendency, and body form, so it was eespecially important that I didn't die on my way to the bridge, or the secret hall of cells. I didn't want to suicide it, so I just took the chance, and managed not to die/fall off a ledge *phew!*)

IMG_6775.jpg

Top Bottom