• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
Here is a shot of my mage, after collecting Sage's gear (It was a particularly daunting time in Latria because I had full white world tendency, and body form, so it was eespecially important that I didn't die on my way to the bridge, or the secret hall of cells. I didn't want to suicide it, so I just took the chance, and managed not to die/fall off a ledge *phew!*)

IMG_6775.jpg

you took the pic next to the pot-people. nice. it took me a few seconds to figure it out

What is this demonry?

I'm on 1-3. I rescued
Ostrava, again,
and got the iron ring of keys. And yet the damned door at the beginning of the level, next to the fountain with the dogs, won't open! I already kicked the shit out of everyone up to the three red knights before the fog door.

Is my game cursed?

ZeroRay

SteelAttack said:
What is this demonry?

I'm on 1-3. I rescued
Ostrava, again,
and got the iron ring of keys. And yet the damned door at the beginning of the level, next to the fountain with the dogs, won't open! I already kicked the shit out of everyone up to the three red knights before the fog door.

Is my game cursed?

That's to open up the dungeon in 1-2 next to the Tower Knight area. After you kill the Fat Minister there, you should get the Bloody Ring of Keys to open the door you're talking about.

ZeroRay said:
That's to open up the dungeon in 1-2 next to the Tower Knight area. After you kill the Fat Minister there, you should get the Bloody Ring of Keys to open the door you're talking about.
Oh sweet! Thanks.

arotator

Neo Member
Had a veritable soul feast today. I beat 3-3, 3-4, 4-3, and 4-4! Yesterday I finished 1-3. You can't possibly understand how rare this is for me. I don't think I'd beaten more than one level in one session aside from 1-1, 2-1 since I got it late this summer.

I had given up the game just over a week ago, I was getting too frustrated with X-3 levels and getting my ass handed to me. Needless to say, I got the itch to play again, had some pretty frustrating nights (one occasion I played for 2+ hours and all I had to show for at the end of it was some Darkmoon stones).

Once I got my Crescent Falchion upgraded things just fell into place for me. I can't believe how well the last day or so has gone. I've even been in body form for the majority of that time.

One thing I'm regretting is that I (desperately) got God's Wrath instead Firestorm because I was looking for some way to beat Maneater(s) (I didn't have access to Firstorm yet). Although I am a Priest, I was/am not doing a faith build. For a few minutes I managed to convince myself my faith stat didn't matter and I rationalized getting God's wrath so I had the spell slots free for other magic spells. It didn't take me but 30 seconds to realize I was an idiot about the faith stat - it definitely has an effect. Oh well.

Now I am just trying to give my toon some focus as I upgrade, as of right now he has stats pretty much evenly spread through everything (I'm around lvl 65).

arotator

Neo Member
A follow-up:

My hot streak ended shortly after posting that last night. I died to the blue dragon in the second stage of 1-4. Back to soul form in which I spend 98% of my time.

Canova

Banned
arotator said:
A follow-up:

My hot streak ended shortly after posting that last night. I died to the blue dragon in the second stage of 1-4. Back to soul form in which I spend 98% of my time.

Are you in EU server by any chance?

hitsugi

arotator said:
A follow-up:

I think I hit a point of actually preferring soul form when the game was at it's peak.. less hassles from phantoms and the ability to invade as one = <3

Risible

arotator said:
A follow-up:

I've beaten the game many times and I spend most of my time in soul form as well, don't feel bad :).

arotator

Neo Member
For a long time I just played offline (I think my PSN wasn't updated or something).

It wasn't until I was like a lvl 30 that I got invaded for the first time. I was like "WTF?!?"

This phantom with a big ass sword invaded me in 4-1 and started swinging. I managed to dodge the first couple and get some hits in.

But he finally hit me and I was dead in one hit.

My next experience of invasion I thought I could run away. Made it all the way to the boss entrance in 3-1 where you have to fight that cpu black phantom. I killed her, only having a sliver of life left. The asshole that invades me backstabs me once and I get to start all over! Joy! -- That is this game in a nutshell.

Finally, the last time I recall getting invaded was hilarious. I had just gotten the dragon stone and I was playing 3-2. I was having a lot of success when the invasion screen popped up, I believe I had unlocked the shortcut by this point. I then freaked out and began running to the boss (where I thought the boss was), took some respite behind a pillar to recover my stamina (thinking the phantom can't see me here, I have no idea, I've never played as one), then stepped off the edge in my half-brained panic. I was so frightened out at the prospect of getting invaded that I committed suicide. Great. Did my invader still get credit for that kill?

WTF there must be an easier way to farm souls in my current playthrough.

4-3 manta hunting with Storm Ruler + Avarice Ring + Soul Thirst + Silver Bracelets yields around 30K, but only if you can wipe them all within the time frame of soul thirst, and provided you don't get reamed by the initial onslaught of barbs.

I lost around 250K easily last night. :(

oracrest

SteelAttack said:
WTF there must be an easier way to farm souls in my current playthrough.

Have you tried
going into 4-2, shooting the one manta ray, then sniping the reaper and getting all his minions souls as well? That's where I find leveling up is fastest

oracrest said:
Have you tried
going into 4-2, shooting the one manta ray, then sniping the reaper and getting all his minions souls as well? That's where I find leveling up is fastest
Hmm, payoff is less, but it involves no risk whatsoever and I can be done with it in 10 seconds flat. Will try tonight, thanks. I can even go for the
dual katana skelly through the fake door
if I'm feeling frisky.

oracrest

SteelAttack said:
Hmm, payoff is less, but it involves no risk whatsoever and I can be done with it in 10 seconds flat. Will try tonight, thanks. I can even go for the
dual katana skelly through the fake door
if I'm feeling frisky.

Yeah, the quick time is what gets me. You can also just run off the cliff near the first ray afterwards to simply respawn at the 4-2 archstone, and just hop down again and regain your souls (This saves time loading into and out of the Nexus each time.)

Canova

Banned
arotator said:
For a long time I just played offline (I think my PSN wasn't updated or something).

It wasn't until I was like a lvl 30 that I got invaded for the first time. I was like "WTF?!?"

This phantom with a big ass sword invaded me in 4-1 and started swinging. I managed to dodge the first couple and get some hits in.

But he finally hit me and I was dead in one hit.

My next experience of invasion I thought I could run away. Made it all the way to the boss entrance in 3-1 where you have to fight that cpu black phantom. I killed her, only having a sliver of life left. The asshole that invades me backstabs me once and I get to start all over! Joy! -- That is this game in a nutshell.

Finally, the last time I recall getting invaded was hilarious. I had just gotten the dragon stone and I was playing 3-2. I was having a lot of success when the invasion screen popped up, I believe I had unlocked the shortcut by this point. I then freaked out and began running to the boss (where I thought the boss was), took some respite behind a pillar to recover my stamina (thinking the phantom can't see me here, I have no idea, I've never played as one), then stepped off the edge in my half-brained panic. I was so frightened out at the prospect of getting invaded that I committed suicide. Great. Did my invader still get credit for that kill?

yes, he would get his body back

:lol funny first invasion stories.

The first time I was invaded when I was in 2-1. The red message popped up, I was like WTF is this shit. Then a red character materialized right before my eyes, I freaked out. He started swinging, I started swinging too. He killed me in a few moves.

My first and only invasion so far was on 1-2. I didn't get invaded after that except for one time in 5-1 when the message startled me, and then a slug pushed me off a ledge and I fell to the filthy swamp. I need to roll a new char soon, so I can get invaded more.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
canova said:
yes, he would get his body back

:lol funny first invasion stories.

The first time I was invaded when I was in 2-1. The red message popped up, I was like WTF is this shit. Then a red character materialized right before my eyes, I freaked out. He started swinging, I started swinging too. He killed me in a few moves.

I defeated my first invader. :D

It was in 3-1. I hid in one of the cells at first, but got bored and got out to see where he was at. Then I see an arrow hitting the wall beside me, so I hid behind a pillar and waited for him to come out, which he actually did. I had a winged spear and some shield and he pulled out what I think was an uchigatana. He started swinging at me, but I just turtled up and poked at him for a while until his health started to get low. Then he started to run, so I walked after him to regain stamina and then sprinted after him. The hunter had turned into the hunted. :lol

He turned and we started fighting again. I poked at him for a while, but I decided to grip the spear in both hands when his health got low again. Landed a few good hits and he was gone.

arotator

Neo Member
Sword Familiar said:
I defeated my first invader. :D

It was in 3-1. I hid in one of the cells at first, but got bored and got out to see where he was at. Then I see an arrow hitting the wall beside me, so I hid behind a pillar and waited for him to come out, which he actually did. I had a winged spear and some shield and he pulled out what I think was an uchigatana. He started swinging at me, but I just turtled up and poked at him for a while until his health started to get low. Then he started to run, so I walked after him to regain stamina and then sprinted after him. The hunter had turned into the hunted. :lol

He turned and we started fighting again. I poked at him for a while, but I decided to grip the spear in both hands when his health got low again. Landed a few good hits and he was gone.

Good for you sir! You give hope to us all!

I need to look up the perks of playing as/defeating invaders. I haven't given it any attention as I've just been focused on beating and progressing through the game myself. I feel like I shouldn't even be messing with PvP until I'm maxed out, but I really have no idea.

Canova

Banned
Here's an advise to you all mage users.

If you get invaded and you want to be invisible from the invaders, then:
- Wear a thief ring or graverobber ring
- Take off your fragrant ring, the blue aura would give it away where you are
- don't wear any regen items (regen ring, blessed weapons). Invaders can see your vitality bar from a mile away, this is even worse than fragrant ring

Most of mages I invaded didn't know about this. They wore thief/graverobber ring and yet kept the fragrant ring on. I just laughed everytime I see blue aura floating/running around

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
arotator said:
Good for you sir! You give hope to us all!

Thanks! Yeah, it was a while back though. I haven't been invaded much myself, but I've done some invading, and the experience varies depending on how prepared I am/my opponent is. I've fought to a near standstill with some guy who had much better equipment than me. I landed a lot more hits on him, but he kept healing himself with full moon grass. It ended with me dying in the end because I ran out of healing items myself.

I need to look up the perks of playing as/defeating invaders. I haven't given it any attention as I've just been focused on beating and progressing through the game myself. I feel like I shouldn't even be messing with PvP until I'm maxed out, but I really have no idea.

Basically, invading and killing the host will shift you character tendency towards black and killing an invading black phantom will shift it towards white. Other than that, it's mostly for fun/challenge.

gdt

Can someone recommend a second world to take on?

I beat the first one, but the one right next to it (up the stairs on the right), Stone Temple (I think) is hard as nails. The miner zombie dudes take forever to kill, and those clown-looking fat dudes (that toss fireballs) are fucking TOUGH. Those fireballs take almost all my HP. I'm not supposed to take this one yet...right?

Annd now, my long sword broke. The scimatar doesn't do shit.

And my souls are stuck behind one of the fat dudes I won't be able to kill with a scimitar! I do have a Bastard Sword+1, but it's too heavy for me to use!

2-1 should be doable if you don't try to rush your way through it. 3-1 has cool stuff, but mindflayers can be a bit imposing and level layout is a pain in the ass. 4-1 has the Crescent Falchion+1, which makes the game a lot less stressful for a while. Unfortunately, 4-1 has rolling skellies and the Crescent Falchion is guarded by a Black skeleton wielding two katanas. Deadly guy. There's a trick to get the sword without fighting it, though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I threw myself at 4-2 for a long time tonight before I embraced the Meat Cleaver. Just kept pushing little by little and wound up making it to the boss without even taking many hits. Wound up with something like 80,000 souls piled up because I fortunately never died before being able to retrieve my old souls.
gdt5016 said:

I beat the first one, but the one right next to it (up the stairs on the right), Stone Temple (I think) is hard as nails. The miner zombie dudes take forever to kill, and those clown-looking fat dudes (that toss fireballs) are fucking TOUGH. Those fireballs take almost all my HP. I'm not supposed to take this one yet...right?

And my souls are stuck behind one of the fat dudes I won't be able to kill with a scimitar! I do have a Bastard Sword+1, but it's too heavy for me to use!
Can you use a two-handed grip on the Bastard Sword (press Triangle)? You're in the right place, but you can always go wherever you want to try and pick up items that might help.

arotator

Neo Member
gdt5016 said:

In most people's eyes 2-1 is the easiest level in the game. Get yourself a spear, or once you get by the fireball guy, you will be able to pick up a pick axe near him, that will make it 10x easier. It is actually a fairly stress free level since the miners don't agro easy.

As far as the fat guy goes. They are difficult at that level. Soul arrow will help tremendously. I always used a spear against him. The best tip I can give you is to situate yourself behind any objects (i.e. the wooden pole to his left and to your right as you enter that room), the fireball will hit that and leave you unaffected.

Draft said:
This game is wild.

I guess I had a Demon's Souls moment playing it the other night.

The first level and boss were pretty easy. I wasn't quite ready to poo poo all the talk I've read about this game being hard as nuts, but the notion that it wasn't that hard (or I was just that good) was in the back of my head. That shit changed pretty quickly in the second level. I got my shit pushed in about 5 times by some fat laughing fuck who tossed fireballs and his pack of loud ass motherfucking barking dogs. But that was just me being garbage. His pattern is nothing special, the dogs aren't especially troublesome if you fight them in the right place, and I was just being a chump.

Once I figured out how to deal with that dude I was rolling again. My guy is a Royal and I just toss fireballs / soul arrows at hard enemies while cleaning up the scrubs with a rapier. My fireball does enough damage to kill practically everything except the fat dudes in one hit. I have an absolutely silly amount of healing grass. Once again, I'm getting that feeling. This game isn't that tough. You roll out of the way, you shoot a fireball, it's cake.

After cruising for a bit I'm at what must be the boss room, because it's covered in webs and the door is huge. I walk in, this big ass spider is shooting fireballs down a tunnel at me. Oh wow, look, something else to roll away from. Easy. Then all of the sudden it pegs me with a web, and now I'm stuck, and it follows up with a fireball that eats most of my health. I run behind a corner that someone has conveniently marked as "safe" (by the way the fucking messages crack me up) and chow some grass. OK, so dodge the web shot, dodge the fireball, get up close to the spider, hit him. Easy.

Not fucking easy.

I try, but my fat western fingers aren't fast enough. My MTV addled brain is not fast enough. I get hit by webs. I get hit by fireballs. The spider wins. He doesn't just win. He beat me up and he robbed my souls. They're in his zone. Getting them back is a one way trip. So fuck that shit, I am all heated from getting beat and from losing like 5k souls. I am going back in there.

And he kills me, again. And again. And again.

I'm not sure how many times total. At least 3 or 4. Every time, I try some goofball strategy or positioning trick, and it doesn't help. My once vast supply of grass is now almost gone. Like, I ate all the fucking grass fighting this guy. He's still got my souls. I am almost at the breaking point. The web is too fast. It's impossible to dodge once you're stuck. I come this close to throwing the pad into the ground, but self control gets the better of it and I just let the thing drop from slightly too tall a height. I am fucking salty.

It was close. I was this close to saying to hell with it, letting the stupid spider have the souls and calling it a night. But man FUCK THAT. That is some bullshit. Fucking games are for conquering and I will be fucked if I'm going to let this spider get the better of me. I pack up my last few pieces of grass and head back in.

And this time it clicks. I see the spider always hops out of sight before shooting his web. Now I can dodge it. Without the web to slow me down, fireballs are nothing. I am just straight blasting this motherfucker with soul arrows right to his stupid spider grill. He's not even touching me. After a few minutes it's over. That dude is dead. I point directly at my television and yell "that's right, fuck you. Gimme my souls."

I really like this game. It has some amazing annoying jank with the auto aim and the camera in tight places, but overall it is a magical weeaboo experience. It's games like Demon's Souls that make me happy there's still crazy ass Japanese studios cranking out absolutely batshit games.
Great post. Inspired me to take on the Armored Spider again 48 hours after putting the controller down for the day. Discovered that you can still avoid the mega flame simply by backpedaling while on locked-on mode (and not accidentally tripping over yourself repeatedly while holding the circle button trying desperately to run; not good for a temple knight). Actually used the white stuff found earlier in the level and I thought this helped tremendously as I only had 2 Old Spice for health (no grass left at the start of the fight). This game has made me appreciate any healing/boosting items I can get my hands on and not hoard them as I progress until they're useless like we would do on countless other RPGs.

Now, time to help others with 3-1 just for the heck of it and also increase dexterity so I can use this Spiked Shield I picked up hours ago.

Zzoram

so I have 6 shards and 1 chunk of spiderstone but im not getting the option to upgrade to +3 sticky compound long bow in nexus. What am I doing wrong?

dolemite

Zzoram said:
so I have 6 shards and 1 chunk of spiderstone but im not getting the option to upgrade to +3 sticky compound long bow in nexus. What am I doing wrong?
The other blacksmith guy in 2-1 can do that, not the nexus one.

Zzoram

dolemite said:
The other blacksmith guy in 2-1 can do that, not the nexus one.

I suspected as much, it's been a while. They need to mention stuff like this in the wiki.

Why does it sound so hard to get to Filthy Man in 2-2? I need to buy some Large Sharpstone. I'm scared of going down that tunnel with exploding mine carts and crystal lizards that I can permanently scare away.

Zzoram

What's better, Firestorm or God's Wrath? Apparently I still have my Dragon Demon's Soul. Which is better for killing the 2-2 crystal lizard nest? Which has better range? How close to I have to get to the lizards to hit them all before scaring them away?

So yesterday I was still in 4-1 and every run I got so many souls (and got greedy) so I always returned to use all these precious souls. Even got summoned, by a dude who already had a blue phantom helping him fight a black one. Even though we were three blues, we barely managed to kill the black one. It was my first human black phantom so it was a bit scary, and I really wanted to communicate and coordinate with my allies. Anyhow, spent like three hours of going back and forth before deciding to go for the boss. Didn't really get his pattern at first, so I died like 5 times in there leaving a bunch of souls everytime. That's when greed came into play again and I went in there got the souls and evacuated with 30k souls on hand - Nice :D 4-1 just pays off so highly compared to the other areas I've been to. Although I feel like taking a risk at every encounter :)

When I returned I didn't have to worry about picking up my old souls and I easily beat him at a distance. Now I'm going for 2-2 before having to return the game tomorrow (and probably not seeing it again before christmas :O) Makes me a sad panda :(

Zzoram

4-1 and 4-2 are the best farming sites for most of the game, and I like the design of the levels. The only thing I don't like are those flying mantas that can toss a spine in your back out of nowhere.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Zzoram said:
What's better, Firestorm or God's Wrath? Apparently I still have my Dragon Demon's Soul. Which is better for killing the 2-2 crystal lizard nest? Which has better range? How close to I have to get to the lizards to hit them all before scaring them away?

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/spells

Read up and decide for yourself what one is better for your build.:D

I like and use them both in different situations

Shinjitsu

Banned
Zzoram said:
Both seem pretty good. I think I might lean more towards magic so Firestorm should come first. However, is Fireball a good spell? It uses a lot less MP and only 2 slots and should cast faster.

Fireball is good yes, but other spells fill its roll just as well. For AOE power nothing beats Firestorm.

i would just like to add firestorm makes a lot of things a lot easier:

-double katana skeletons
-black phantom skeletons
-named black phantom npcs (namely satsuki, whom if you can knockdown and then firestorm repeatedly will die fairly quickly, even on ng+)
-phalanx in ng+
-leechmonger in ng+
-probably other bosses i didn't bother trying it on

Zzoram said:

If you want to get the lizards then god wrath for sure. Kill the one on the ledge than can be seen from the tunnel with a bow. Have your spell and mana regen item ready, drop down, god wrath once, regen mana, god wrath again. If you fail just get out of aggro range and reload quickly.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zzoram said:
4-1 and 4-2 are the best farming sites for most of the game, and I like the design of the levels. The only thing I don't like are those flying mantas that can toss a spine in your back out of nowhere.
No time like the present to equip the Thief's Ring.

I thought I had my shit figured out at SL124 to try and tackle 1-4. The game quickly showed me it can still pack a wallop. I barely made it out alive from the first encounter...only to get roasted on the bridge. :lol

In my defense, I only tried it once, and was getting familiar with the level.

arotator

Neo Member
Zzoram said:

Firestorm gives more damage. Since your'e doing a magic build it would make sense for you to get firestorm since you'll have more magic than faith stats.

God's wrath is more reliable and I've had success in the 2-2 lizard nest with it using the aforementioned strat (wrath, regen, wrath).

I'd feel better about my decision to go with wrath if I was pursuing a faith build (as those stats will scale with the spell and make it more effective).

One other thing to consider is even if you are focusing on magic, firestorm is going to take up 3 slots, limiting choices to carry warding/soul ray/arrow/homing arrow/fire spray. For this reason I was comfortable going God's wrath. Of course this rationale works both ways. Since I only have 2 or 3 faith slots, I have to make a decision between second chance and God's Wrath each level. I usually go with second chance.

Zzoram

Shinjitsu said:
Fireball is good yes, but other spells fill its roll just as well. For AOE power nothing beats Firestorm.
I assume fireball has the best range and fastest cast time so it's the least dangerous spell to use. How common is fire resistance and weakness among monsters in this game? Is soul ray better or worse than fireball since it's magic damage not fire?

arotator said:
Firestorm gives more damage. Since your'e doing a magic build it would make sense for you to get firestorm since you'll have more magic than faith stats.

God's wrath is more reliable and I've had success in the 2-2 lizard nest with it using the aforementioned strat (wrath, regen, wrath).

I'd feel better about my decision to go with wrath if I was pursuing a faith build (as those stats will scale with the spell and make it more effective).

One other thing to consider is even if you are focusing on magic, firestorm is going to take up 3 slots, limiting choices to carry warding/soul ray/arrow/homing arrow/fire spray. For this reason I was comfortable going God's wrath. Of course this rationale works both ways. Since I only have 2 or 3 faith slots, I have to make a decision between second chance and God's Wrath each level. I usually go with second chance.

this made me go, fire storm... oh wait i cant have soul ray too or warding... Gods wrath hear i come.

canova said:
c'mon guys, do some melee fighting, don't rely too much on magic or faith

i started as a royal got to sl30 and beat quite a few stages. I just stated a knight and i think i might be having more fun.

Canova

Banned
Krauser Kat said:
i started as a royal got to sl30 and beat quite a few stages. I just stated a knight and i think i might be having more fun.

exactly, that's what I'm trying to say, melee-style makes the game more engaging. It forces you to actually learn enemies pattern and the combat mechanic

Top Bottom