• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

it was very satisfying beating 1-1 without dying and killing the phalanx. then some douche invaded me in 1-2. I hope to god it did not fuck up my white tendency. I dont want to have to kill the dragon just to get miralda to show up.

Grayman

canova said:
exactly, that's what I'm trying to say, melee-style makes the game more engaging. It forces you to actually learn enemies pattern and the combat mechanic
I started playing this again and am playing more melee based than I used to. I am still being a cowardly lion with some enemies. I arrowed the ball of arms in 3-1 from a safe spot and only used melee against the closest two spawns of the end level boss.

Just going to throw out some notes if anyone wants to give advice:

Currently I am using a Uchigatana +3, Adjudicator Shield, Compound Long Bow, Cling Ring, Thief Ring. Started as a royal: SL 30, Vit 10, Str 18, Dex 30. I do not really know what to do with stats as any build suggestions are for much higher soul levels.

I think I made the katana "wrong" I thought sharpstone would make a sharp katana which apparently it does not. Is the sharp katana an upgrade at a certain point(ie +5) or do I need to meltstone and upgrade again?

Does anyone have fun Main Hand/Off hand suggestions? Preferably not shit that I need to be amazing at the game to get right now.

Should I be a coward and coop my way through most of the game? I have usually played solo a lot.

Canova

Banned
Grayman said:
I started playing this again and am playing more melee based than I used to. I am still being a cowardly lion with some enemies. I arrowed the ball of arms in 3-1 from a safe spot and only used melee against the closest two spawns of the end level boss.

Just going to throw out some notes if anyone wants to give advice:

Currently I am using a Uchigatana +3, Adjudicator Shield, Compound Long Bow, Cling Ring, Thief Ring. Started as a royal: SL 30, Vit 10, Str 18, Dex 30. I do not really know what to do with stats as any build suggestions are for much higher soul levels.

I think I made the katana "wrong" I thought sharpstone would make a sharp katana which apparently it does not. Is the sharp katana an upgrade at a certain point(ie +5) or do I need to meltstone and upgrade again?

Does anyone have fun Main Hand/Off hand suggestions? Preferably not shit that I need to be amazing at the game to get right now.

Should I be a coward and coop my way through most of the game? I have usually played solo a lot.

- for melee character, the most important stats are vitality and endurance
- Personally I hate sharp weapons, just because getting chunk and pure bladestone is a bitch. You almost have to dedicatedly farm to get them. Over 700 hours playing, I still haven't seen any pure bladestone personally. (though I never actually bothered to famr for it)
- my favorite off-hand is a talisman. Get second-chance miracle (revives you one time)
- Play online as you like, if you see a blue stone, summon it, if not then continue on your own.

I have fallen in love with my great club. I almost dont want to give it up to make a meat cleaver. Skeletons bow down before my blunt damage doom. Run hitting and then strong attacking mind-flayers is so satisfying.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Krauser Kat said:
I have fallen in love with my great club. I almost dont want to give it up to make a meat cleaver. Skeletons bow down before my blunt damage doom. Run hitting and then strong attacking mind-flayers is so satisfying.

You can make an instant meat cleaver from normal clubs as well so you don't need to give it up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ah balls. I took a peek in at the 4-3 boss just to see what was up. I had a bunch of stuff on me so when I went and tried to pull the sword I just got the over encumbered message. I left and now the sword seems to be gone for good. Guess I'm going to be using my bow a lot.

BLagiver

Banned
If you drop a weapon and leave the level its gone forever. People used to try and steal your items this way by dropping a bunch of heavy stuff and watch as you pick it up like candy and then when you grab the rare item its to heavy and falls to ground enabling the person you summoned or invader to pick it up. You should always put all the stuff you don't use in the item vault.

MoogPaul

Maybe I'm missing something. I just picked this up on amazon's buy 2 get 1 sale so I just started playing but it seems to me that the game:
a) Has serious frame rate issues
b) Serious texture issues
c) Does little to nothing in the way of explaining things such as where to go or what to do or how to do things. Took me 40 minutes to find the monumental or whatever it is. I had to google how to use spells and I'm not the only one as google auto filled my question.
d) The shop menus are pretty uninformative, being unable to compare currently equipped items to store items.
e) As things stand now, this all seems pretty repetitive. I just finished 1-2 and am beginning to get bored.

Kill shit -> Thing you weren't expecting happens and you die -> Kill shit -> Now you know what happens, so you survive and pick up your souls from dying -> Repeat

Are there awesome things that occur or is this game simply not for me? Do I not "get" it?

MoogPaul said:
Maybe I'm missing something. I just picked this up on amazon's buy 2 get 1 sale so I just started playing but it seems to me that the game:
c) Does little to nothing in the way of explaining things such as where to go or what to do or how to do things. Took me 40 minutes to find the monumental or whatever it is. I had to google how to use spells and I'm not the only one as google auto filled my question.
d) The shop menus are pretty uninformative, being unable to compare currently equipped items to store items.
e) As things stand now, this all seems pretty repetitive. I just finished 1-2 and am beginning to get bored.

Kill shit -> Thing you weren't expecting happens and you die -> Kill shit -> Now you know what happens, so you survive and pick up your souls from dying -> Repeat

Are there awesome things that occur or is this game simply not for me? Do I not "get" it?

I had to google the monumental thing as well. Did you kill the red dragon yet? that is satisfying.

arotator

Neo Member
MoogPaul said:

I had nearly all of the same qualms. I played the intro, said "meh," and put the game down for a while.

I came back to it a few days later thinking I paid money for it so I might as well give it a shot again. I tinkered with some different characters (a priest, a wanderer) and kept getting my ass handed to me. Honestly, I think that is what did it: the challenge.

It seems that from c) and d) you expect the game, like most games, to kind of hold your hand for you. Nothing wrong with that, we've become accustomed to it, and this game is unnecessarily oblique. I entirely concur about the monumental, I looked for it for over an hour the first time, finally seeking advice from Youtube.

I don't even really like this genre of games - I haven't ever finished a God of War and haven't played one for any considerable length of time since the first. I think this game's brilliance is in its subtlety and its simplicity. It is a very profound simplicity, though. The story isn't complicated, it later becomes non-existent. The presentation is austere - it is essentially Oblivion with different animations. The gameplay isn't complex and has some flaws, but it is incredibly rewarding to succeed given that the deck is stacked against you (believe me, I'm even a smaller man when it comes to this, I relish killing bossess as cheaply as possible through glitches or whatever). And it doesn't at all hold your hand, why shouldn't I consume this demon soul? Kill this NPC? Use magic against this boss? It necessitates that you find answers to these questions either through countless trial and error (which I don't have the patience for) or look them up from another source (i.e. the DS wiki). As nearly everyone has mentioned, this is old school gaming in a contemporary package, and it is awesome!

Canova

Banned
arotator said:
I had nearly all of the same qualms. I played the intro, said "meh," and put the game down for a while.

I came back to it a few days later thinking I paid money for it so I might as well give it a shot again. I tinkered with some different characters (a priest, a wanderer) and kept getting my ass handed to me. Honestly, I think that is what did it: the challenge.

It seems that from c) and d) you expect the game, like most games, to kind of hold your hand for you. Nothing wrong with that, we've become accustomed to it, and this game is unnecessarily oblique. I entirely concur about the monumental, I looked for it for over an hour the first time, finally seeking advice from Youtube.

I don't even really like this genre of games - I haven't ever finished a God of War and haven't played one for any considerable length of time since the first. I think this game's brilliance is in its subtlety and its simplicity. It is a very profound simplicity, though. The story isn't complicated, it later becomes non-existent. The presentation is austere - it is essentially Oblivion with different animations. The gameplay isn't complex and has some flaws, but it is incredibly rewarding to succeed given that the deck is stacked against you (believe me, I'm even a smaller man when it comes to this, I relish killing bossess as cheaply as possible through glitches or whatever). And it doesn't at all hold your hand, why shouldn't I consume this demon soul? Kill this NPC? Use magic against this boss? It necessitates that you find answers to these questions either through countless trial and error (which I don't have the patience for) or look them up from another source (i.e. the DS wiki). As nearly everyone has mentioned, this is old school gaming in a contemporary package, and it is awesome!

you described it nicely.

This game is very old-school. It's raw and un-compromised. I love it so much

MoogPaul said:

no, thats basically demon's souls.

frame rate issues and texture quality kind of have me scratching my head. the game is by no means top-tier in the graphics department, but its not a pile of dreck.

i find it interesting how some people find the uninformative nature of demon's souls (and other games) problematic when its something i really love.

MoogPaul said:
Maybe I'm missing something. [...] Do I not "get" it?

It took me a good 12-15 hours before the game really hit its stride with me. Then I was at 90 hours the next time I blinked.

I went the route of, "Okay, supposedly this game is hard as fuck" and let the challenge/intimidation aspect drive my will to play. Before I knew it, I was good, the game wasn't so hard, and - boom - one of my favorite games of all time.

<shrug>

Point being, it would be wise to give it a good 7-10 hours (at least) before making your final judgment, imo.

Canova

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:
It took me a good 12-15 hours before the game really hit its stride with me. Then I was at 90 hours the next time I blinked.

I went the route of, "Okay, supposedly this game is hard as fuck" and let the challenge/intimidation aspect drive my will to play. Before I knew it, I was good, the game wasn't so hard, and - boom - one of my favorite games of all time.

<shrug>

Point being, it would be wise to give it a good 7-10 hours (at least) before making your final judgment, imo.

yup it happened to me too.

I bought this game in Feb 09. Played it for a couple hours, didn't get it. shelved it for 2 weeks. Played it again, then shelved it again for a few more weeks. Picked it up again in April 09, that's when I 'got it'

Emitan

I beat 1-1 and could never beat any level again :(

I just feel like I'm going to keeping dieing until something "clicks" and I start killing everything.

oracrest

I finally got invaded a couple of times as my mage character. That was pretty stressful, but I managed to defeat the invader both times! The second time was particularly stressful because they invaded right when I opened the portcullis in 1-4, and needed to save Ostravia and take care of the black phantom all at once. the "hard" knights are one of the easiest enemy's as a mage though.

I find that not locking on to the other player is an easier strategy. I can quick roll behind a character holding a shield , and kill them in one hit with homing arrows. :)

SolidC213

So I want to get peoples insight on the best stuff to have equipped when invading.

So far,
my Rings:
Foe's Ring
Cling Ring.
Items:
Old Spice
New Moon Grass
Armor:
Monk's Head Collar
Ancient Kings Armor
Weapons:
Left:
Adjunctor Shield +5
Talisman of Beasts
Right:
Blue Blood Sword
Makoto +5 OR Kris blade (trying to +5)
Miracles:
Second Chance
Magic:
Homing Arrows
Light Weapon

Should I switch anything out? Any other weapons that are stronger and faster at max that I might not know about? Any combos of magic/miracles/attacks that you think is best?

Alastor

I think I have the "all unique weapons" trophy glitched :\ I have them all (as listed in the wiki) in my inventory, all were equipped. And nothing. Any advices? That's pretty depressing, as I devoted a lot of time to finally find/make them all.

SolidC213

Alastor said:
I think I have the "all unique weapons" trophy glitched :\ I have them all (as listed in the wiki) in my inventory, all were equipped. And nothing. Any advices? That's pretty depressing, as I devoted a lot of time to finally find/make them all.

Most likely you overlooked something? At least you better hope you did because that would suck! You got all the ones you have to upgrade with demons souls right?

Alastor

SolidC213 said:
Most likely you overlooked something? At least you better hope you did because that would suck! You got all the ones you have to upgrade with demons souls right?

I'll check again, but if this list - http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/trophy-weapons - is accurate, I have them all except Demonbrandt, but I had to have it earlier because
I made Northern Regalia out of it and Soulbrandt

Is there any cath? Maybe they all must be equipped in right hand, or something...

SolidC213

Alastor said:
I'll check again, but if this list - http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/trophy-weapons - is accurate, I have them all except Demonbrandt, but I had to have it earlier because

Is there any cath? Maybe they all must be equipped in right hand, or something...

That's the list I went off of too and I got the trophy within 5 seconds of obtaining my final weapon. Maybe try getting the Demonbrandt again? I'm pretty sure you don't need all the special weapons at the same time for the trophy but that might be worth a shot.

for god's sake, somebody change the thread title from [OT2] to [NEWOT] or something like that????

Every time I am scrolling down through the threads and I see DEMON'S SOULS and the number "2" so close together my heart skips a beat!

It's not right, man! :lol :lol :lol

Draft

Is it accepted that 5 is the worst world? Irritating platforms all over the place, nothing but cheap, garbage enemies except for two giant ogres who attack you on tiny bridges, and then this crummy boss with his regenerating balls?

Billychu said:
I beat 1-1 and could never beat any level again :(

I just feel like I'm going to keeping dieing until something "clicks" and I start killing everything.

Took me about 8 hours just to get past the laughing minister in world 2-1. When I did, bam guy in corner of staircase lol. I eventual beat the game in about 45 hours. Just stick with it.

Haeleos

Draft said:
Is it accepted that 5 is the worst world? Irritating platforms all over the place, nothing but cheap, garbage enemies except for two giant ogres who attack you on tiny bridges, and then this crummy boss with his regenerating balls?

I realize 5 is designed poorly in some areas, but the sickly atmosphere and how punishing it was compared to other worlds actually makes it my favourite area.

I usually only go so far into that world to get some of the weapons in the first area, and then I come back to it much later on. I actually finish world 3 and 4 completely before tackling this place just because of how easily I feel it can screw you over.

Still, it sticks out as my most memorable area from the game.

Canova

Banned
Alastor said:

you don't have to have them equipped or in your inventory. You must have missed something

arotator

Neo Member
Effing False King has stolen four souls from me.

There are also 120k souls sitting near him that I need to retrieve.

Definitely a controller throwing moment.

I fear I am fucked.

Canova

Banned
arotator said:
Effing False King has stolen four souls from me.

There are also 120k souls sitting near him that I need to retrieve.

Definitely a controller throwing moment.

I fear I am fucked.

need help?

what's your soul lvl and region?

arotator

Neo Member
I was level 83, so probably 79 now.

Region is N.A.

I can get him pretty low, I just can't make many mistakes, as I usually end up dying in the process. I've already used 30+ full moon grass.

I have to call it quits for now. Thanks for the offer though.

Cmagus

sooo I just discovered a love for the bow and arrow and really its made the game tons easier.I find alot of the bigger enemies you can just stand back and let them have it kinda makes it cheap though

Canova

Banned
arotator said:
I was level 83, so probably 79 now.

Region is N.A.

I can get him pretty low, I just can't make many mistakes, as I usually end up dying in the process. I've already used 30+ full moon grass.

I have to call it quits for now. Thanks for the offer though.

I'm lvl 66, NA. so should be within the range.

if you ever need help, PM me.

PSN: zacchi

Canova

Banned
Cmagus said:
sooo I just discovered a love for the bow and arrow and really its made the game tons easier.I find alot of the bigger enemies you can just stand back and let them have it kinda makes it cheap though

wait till you discover sticky bow+5 + dex build + hyper-mode

arotator

Neo Member
Well

I managed to beat False King. But now I am at End Game, unable to level up, and I have 300k souls. I know my chances of dying are 99.9% before I can level up again.

That sucks.

Grayman

canova said:
- for melee character, the most important stats are vitality and endurance
- Personally I hate sharp weapons, just because getting chunk and pure bladestone is a bitch. You almost have to dedicatedly farm to get them. Over 700 hours playing, I still haven't seen any pure bladestone personally. (though I never actually bothered to famr for it)
- my favorite off-hand is a talisman. Get second-chance miracle (revives you one time)
- Play online as you like, if you see a blue stone, summon it, if not then continue on your own.
I have been raising my vit and endurance. Surprisingly it is quickly becoming my highest soul level character even though I have not explicitly farmed (been stuck on 4-2 lots tho)

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Draft said:
That's exactly what it's suppose to be like. It gets worst and worst and is suppose to make you feel gross just being there. It is probably my fondest memory of the game, truth be told.

Draft said:
Pretty much, but those areas are devoid of invaders. I think I may have been invaded once in 5-1 and that guy left. I guess he was deleveling. In 5-2, not a chance. I can totally farm without a care in the world. I don't even see blue signs in world 5 either. Just a lot of bloodstains wherever giant depraved ones are located.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
canova said:
62f05432.jpg
Amaziiiiiiiing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
World 5 seems like a breeze to me. Easiest bosses by far. Easy to funnel enemies. Big enemies that can't climb.

The enemies aren't a threat, just the environment. Don't fall and bring your black leather.

Speevy

Banned
I couldn't do it justice, but the biggest fan in this thread needs to commit a review of this game to the User reviews topic. At least one.

Canova

Banned
Speevy said:
I couldn't do it justice, but the biggest fan in this thread needs to commit a review of this game to the User reviews topic. At least one.

I would, but my English sucks, :lol

please someone submit a review in the user review thread

arotator should do it, since he wrote a nice description of the game up above.

But whoever writes the review, must give the game a 10/10, if not I'd invade and hunt him down :lol

arotator

Neo Member
Made it through 1-1 in NG+ easily. Didn't die until 2-1 at the damn dogs.

Didn't lose my 300k souls that I had to stash since beating False King.

I don't recommend saving 1-4 as your last boss for that very reason.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The most hardcore Demon's Souls in here would be the poster with the Star Fox avatar :D Sorry, don't remember his name

arotator

Neo Member
I'll think about doing a review. I'm supposed to be writing a paper for some conference submissions this winter/spring and deadlines are looming, so that takes precedence at the moment.

That and I've never written a review...

bunbun777

So my char is level 159 and I have beat the game 4 times I think- I found someone on my friend list that had the platinum and through conversation---long story short she is 192 and I can be summoned in 3 levels---no more farming. Should I feel bad-- all I feel is excitement at not having to find that pure bladestone.

Yoshichan

canova said:
no wai!

I'm the biggest Demon's Souls fanboy here ;P
._. me too...

Top Bottom