• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
canova said:
from the original thread and this one, I should have the highest post count by far :D
This means nothing! Nothing I tell you!

arotator said:
Well

I managed to beat False King. But now I am at End Game, unable to level up, and I have 300k souls. I know my chances of dying are 99.9% before I can level up again.

That sucks.
1-1 on ng+ isn't so hard.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
canova said:
..and I have Demon's Souls avatar ;P
Again, this means nothing in the world of Boletaria!

We should duel, the one who survives wins.

The winner will eventually die by Astrosurfing but still...

Canova

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Again, this means nothing in the world of Boletaria!

We should duel, the one who survives wins.

The winner will eventually die by Astrosurfing but still...

sure what's your soul level and region? :D

Yoshichan

canova said:
sure what's your soul level and region? :D
I am nowhere and everywhere! (every copy, baby) :mad:

Feel free to PM me with the character you want to play as and his Slvl as well as region, anytime next week and I'll be on it >:)...

I'll be recording the fight, so you know!

Canova

Banned
Yoshichan said:
I am nowhere and everywhere! (every copy, baby) :D

Feel free to PM me with the character you want to play as and his Slvl as well as region, anytime next week and I'll be on it :D

I'll be recording the fight, so you know!

done!

I have SL 1, 30, 64, 232 in NA region and lvl 90, 100 (I think) EU region

let me know when next week :D

Yoshichan

canova said:
done!

I have SL 1, 30, 64, 232 in NA region and lvl 90, 100 (I think) EU region
Hmm, either the 30, 64 or 232 would be good for me >:)... I'll have to double check!

Canova

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Hmm, either the 30, 64 or 232 would be good for me :D I'll have to double check!

cool, lets decide when the time comes. I can do evening EST, weekend would be best. my psn is zacchi

Yoshichan

Fox1304 said:
That's a lot of :D Smileys for two people threatening to kill each other.
Shit, didn't notice until I reread it :lol

I'll edit it for a more intense conversation!

Yoshichan

Fox1304 said:
Don't !!

" Demon's Soul ... Death with a smile. "
Exactly! Hence, my angry-smile >:)

Canova

Banned
shwimpy said:
Old? Just pre-ordered this...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00499A3P0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Missed the LE when it came out so yay! Will probably sell the game since I only need the Soundtrack and Artbook.

that's a better deal than just a regular GH

poor Atlus, they shoulda been the one publishing Project Dark.

I have an idea

Bamco should continue on with Projeck Dark
Sony should make a direct Demon's Souls sequel
Atlus should fund From Soft to make a game similar to Demon's Souls

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Saw my friend play this thinking about borrowing or getting it myself. How good does a holy based character do? Like mostly holy magic and stuff :lol

Canova

Banned
QisTopTier said:
Saw my friend play this thinking about borrowing or getting it myself. How good does a holy based character do? Like mostly holy magic and stuff :lol

Character class only plays important role in the beginning of the game. Eventually the boundaries between classes will disappear as you progress. Meaning a priest can be as powerful as a knight in melee combat, or the other way around.

Magic/Royal is the easiest class to start with

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
canova said:
Character class only plays important role in the beginning of the game. Eventually the boundaries between classes will disappear as you progress. Meaning a priest can be as powerful as a knight in melee combat, or the other way around.

Magic/Royal is the easiest class to start with

Well I didn't mean character class but a build pretty sure everyone starts for the most part with royal :lol

Canova

Banned
QisTopTier said:
Well I didn't mean character class but a build pretty sure everyone starts for the most part with royal :lol

It depends on your fighting style, some people like magic, some people like me enjoy melee-fight more. I started with knight.

arotator

Neo Member
I'm finding NG+ surprisingly easy. I beat all of world 3 yesterday (though I died plenty in 3-1). I've also beat 1-1 and 2-1.

A holy based character would do fine as long as you compliment it with a good melee or magic setup. The holy spells aren't offensive enough to just focus on them and have much success progressing through the game. In fact, the only offensive holy spell I can think of is God's Wrath, which is damn good, but you won't be able to cast it more than once without refueling mana. Most holy spells are defensive (e.g. second chance [revives you], antidote [removes status effects], evacuate [lets you port out of level without losing souls]). Since in all likelihood you'll be pumping stats into intelligence to get your MP up anyway, you might just become a magic/holy hybrid like I did.

I ended up losing a # of levels at the end of my last play through, however. Since then I've focused on making my priest a melee character.

Zzoram

QisTopTier said:

QisTopTier said:

If you go for high Faith then get a Blessed Mirdan Hammer as your melee weapon. You make it by getting a Mirdan Hammer to +6 with Hardstone then using Faintstone to make it Blessed, maxing out at +5. It's damage scales up with Faith and it has HP regen. High Faith will also make God's Wrath (the only direct offensive miracle) more powerful and Warding (armor miracle) more effective so you should be pretty durable. Miracles only have 1 offensive option so a Holy character would be more like a Paladin (melee+support holy magic) than a Mage.

For stats, try:

VIT --a point every few levels--
INT 15 (for 100 mana to cast God's Wrath or Second Chance miracles)
END 40 (for maxed stamina)
STR 14 (for Mirdan Hammer)
DEX 12 (for Mirdan Hammer)
MAG --ignore--
FAT --a point every few levels--
LUK --ignore--

Temple Knight is the best starting class for this because it has the lowest Magic and Luck possible which are the stats you don't need. It also starts with enough Strength and Dexterity for a Mirdan Hammer so you don't have to worry about them. Just alternate points between Vitality, Intelligence, Endurance and Faith, stopping Intelligence at 15 and Endurance at 40.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Zzoram said:
If you go for high Faith then get a Blessed Mirdan Hammer as your melee weapon. You make it by getting a Mirdan Hammer to +6 with Hardstone then using Faintstone to make it Blessed, maxing out at +5. It's damage scales up with Faith and it has HP regen. High Faith will also make God's Wrath (the only direct offensive miracle) more powerful and Warding (armor miracle) more effective so you should be pretty durable. Miracles only have 1 offensive option so a Holy character would be more like a Paladin (melee+support holy magic) than a Mage.

For stats, try:

VIT --a point every few levels--
INT 15 (for 100 mana to cast God's Wrath or Second Chance miracles)
END 40 (for maxed stamina)
STR 14 (for Mirdan Hammer)
DEX 12 (for Mirdan Hammer)
MAG --ignore--
FAT --a point every few levels--
LUK --ignore--

Temple Knight is the best starting class for this because it has the lowest Magic and Luck possible which are the stats you don't need. It also starts with enough Strength and Dexterity for a Mirdan Hammer so you don't have to worry about them. Just alternate points between Vitality, Intelligence, Endurance and Faith, stopping Intelligence at 15 and Endurance at 40.

Sweet thanks a ton! :D

arotator

Neo Member
Zzoram said:

Great post but a friendly emendation: warding is a magic spell. I'm not sure that it stacks with faith, but it definitely takes the catalyst to cast.

I'm going to try the Mirdan Hammer.

Been playing this for the first time, today. Not quite sure how I feel about it.

Started off as a hunter and couldn't even kill the blue eyed guy on the wooden scaffolding steps on 1-1, so started again as a Knight. And i'm struggling again with the combat.

Might start again as a Royal.

Zzoram

arotator said:
Great post but a friendly emendation: warding is a magic spell. I'm not sure that it stacks with faith, but it definitely takes the catalyst to cast.

I'm going to try the Mirdan Hammer.

You're right about Warding being Magic, oh well, don't need it. Evacuate is all you need then pick between God's Wrath and Second Chance until you can have both at once.

Zzoram

MarkMclovin said:
Been playing this for the first time, today. Not quite sure how I feel about it.

Started off as a hunter and couldn't even kill the blue eyed guy on the wooden scaffolding steps on 1-1, so started again as a Knight. And i'm struggling again with the combat.

Royal beats it pretty easily if you clear the area and have Theif's Ring equpped. Just take potshots with Soul Arrow then back off until he stops chasing. As a melee character you have to dodge the blue eye, don't bother blocking since at this point you probably don't have the stamina to withstand more than 1 hit before he breaks your guard anyways.

Zzoram

Resurrection Miracle seems awful. Why does it exist? Does it make your character tendency whiter? If not I see not point in ever using it.

Zzoram said:
Resurrection Miracle seems awful. Why does it exist? Does it make your character tendency whiter? If not I see not point in ever using it.
Never used resurrection or relief? Resurrection sends the phantom back to body form right?
So I was fooling around with my temple knight and wanted to make a low level stealth build. Currently SL20 Temple Knight with Dragon Longsword +5, Binded Set, Thief's Ring, Cling Ring. Miridan Hammer has a longer range and is better for pvp? Might use that as my backup.
Honestly I just want to punish invaders lol.

arotator

Neo Member
MarkMclovin said:

I really, really struggled fighting that initial blue eye with strength characters with heavy armor. I found it much easier once I got some lighter armor and could roll around to evade his attacks and counter.

gdt

Got a good chuck through 2-1, but then got got by those salamanders (not in the room with the fire though, the next time you run into them.

My souls are stuck down there :(.

Think it might be time for some 1-1 grinding.

_Xenon_

Banned
Just finished my first run of the game with lv 80. Damn the final boss in 1-4 is hard but nothing beats poision cloud cheat :lol :lol

This game definitely worths the title of the best RPG in 2009 but it could be so much better if all the info from DS wiki were embedded in-game.

gdt

I keep dying in the same spot. Also dieing where the rock throwing dudes are.

I am not liking this. Too fucking hard.

I'm heading back to 1-1, grinding for some souls, and powering up my long sword further.

Any tips to deal with the salmanders? How do I get their fires to stay out? Need a crossbow to deal with those long range..huh.

gdt5016 said:
I keep dying in the same spot.

Well don't be coy. Where?

Also dieing where the rock throwing dudes are.

Oh come on, man. :lol Just be careful and time it right. There should be a "It's safe here" message at the point of no return; if not, I think there's a crate or something right near there anyway. As soon as the second boulder drops, run.

gdt

NEOPARADIGM said:
Well don't be coy. Where?

Oh come on, man. :lol Just be careful and time it right. There should be a "It's safe here" message at the point of no return; if not, I think there's a crate or something right near there anyway. As soon as the second boulder drops, run.

The issue is having to lead back dudes slowly. Anywho, the rock throwing part isn't too hard (I'm just being impatient, I know), the real issue is the fire salamanders at the top of the stairs.

_Xenon_

Banned
gdt5016 said:
The issue is having to lead back dudes slowly. Anywho, the rock throwing part isn't too hard (I'm just being impatient, I know), the real issue is the fire salamanders at the top of the stairs.
Isn't it the place where there are 4-5 fire weapon wielding dudes in front of 2 rock throwing dudes? There's a shortcut that leads to the back of those dudes and that part is totally skippable.

Today, I beat DS for the first time. I don't recall being this proud of beating a game in a long, long time.

Thanks, From Software, for crafting such a unique and challenging game.

gdt

How do I get the crossbow in 1-1? I know someone posted it around here, but I just keep falling down into the abyss. Just miss the ground. Is it from the bottom of the stairs or the top. Tried both :(.

gdt5016 said:
How do I get the crossbow in 1-1? I know someone posted it around here, but I just keep falling down into the abyss. Just miss the ground. Is it from the bottom of the stairs or the top. Tried both :(.

You drop through the gap in the wall in front of where the Blue-eyed Knight is.

gdt5016 said:

Nowhere near the stairs. Up on that section with all the catapults, there'll be a broken part in the wall, go through it and drop down there for the crossbow.

efb

gdt

Got it. Also just upgraded my Knight's Shield. Using that with a Long Sword+3. Will upgrade my character too. Will the Light Crossbow help me out against those Salamanders? Any tips to take those down?

2-1, here I come.

gdt5016 said:
Got it. Also just upgraded my Knight's Shield. Using that with a Long Sword+3. Will upgrade my character too. Will the Light Crossbow help me out against those Salamanders? Any tips to take those down?

2-1, here I come.
For the salamanders, I just dodged their attack and relentlessly beat the fuck out of them with my dagger, but that's cause I'm a thief. =P

Zzoram

zerokoolpsx said:
Never used resurrection or relief? Resurrection sends the phantom back to body form right?
So I was fooling around with my temple knight and wanted to make a low level stealth build. Currently SL20 Temple Knight with Dragon Longsword +5, Binded Set, Thief's Ring, Cling Ring. Miridan Hammer has a longer range and is better for pvp? Might use that as my backup.
Honestly I just want to punish invaders lol.
The reason resurrection sucks is because most blue phantoms want to co op with you. Ressurection send them back in body form without getting to play, and it doesn't increase your character tendency, so there is no point but to annoy blues who probably wanted to co op. The lack of communication means you can't know if they just want a quick body form or if they wanted to see your strategy for beating the level.

Top Bottom