• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

gdt

Got my ass royally kicked by spider dude in 2-1. Got a plan though :).

1st on my list...grind some more :(. Need souls to purchase...

2: Soul Arrow. Found this dude in the Nexus, didn't even know he was there.

Also, I kicked around in my inventory after my beating and saw I could now equip Knight's Shield (wish the game told me so...). I upgraded that too.

Any tips for Spider Dude?

Canova

Banned
SteelAttack said:
Today, I beat DS for the first time. I don't recall being this proud of beating a game in a long, long time.

Thanks, From Software, for crafting such a unique and challenging game.

wow congrats!! now on to NG+

NG+ is where the real Demon's Souls starts

oracrest

gdt5016 said:
Got it. Also just upgraded my Knight's Shield. Using that with a Long Sword+3. Will upgrade my character too. Will the Light Crossbow help me out against those Salamanders? Any tips to take those down?

2-1, here I come.

Try tackling the slamanders as 1 on 1 as you can, and try using two handed sword fighting, you can usually juggle most single enemies to death if you go in with solid stamina.

gdt5016 said:
Got my ass royally kicked by spider dude in 2-1. Got a plan though :).

1st on my list...grind some more :(. Need souls to purchase...

2: Soul Arrow. Found this dude in the Nexus, didn't even know he was there.

Also, I kicked around in my inventory after my beating and saw I could now equip Knight's Shield (wish the game told me so...). I upgraded that too.

Any tips for Spider Dude?
Block the spider's fire attacks and wait for it to attack. Block it and attack. When it violent shakes and does a vertical drop with it's hand. Go all out and attack. If it violently shakes and fire is coming out of its mouth. Run away ASAP and heal. Rinse and repeat.

canova said:
wow congrats!! now on to NG+

NG+ is where the real Demon's Souls starts
You know, I had told myself I would wait for a few days after giving NG+ a shot, just to give myself some time to play other games in my backlog, but DS beckoned. :D

I just cleared 1-1 and smoked Phalanx's ass again. Leveled up a couple souls, and tried out 4-1 just to see where I was really standing, since 1-1 was a complete breeze (I even molested the red eyed knight next to the mausoleum). I didn't do so bad...until some dude invaded me.

Truth be told, this time I managed to give the invader a run for his money. I still lost, but it was a lot closer than the previous ones.

_Xenon_

Banned
SteelAttack said:
You know, I had told myself I would wait for a few days after giving NG+ a shot, just to give myself some time to play other games in my backlog, but DS beckoned. :D

I just cleared 1-1 and smoked Phalanx's ass again. Leveled up a couple souls, and tried out 4-1 just to see where I was really standing, since 1-1 was a complete breeze (I even molested the red eyed knight next to the mausoleum). I didn't do so bad...until some dude invaded me.

Truth be told, this time I managed to give the invader a run for his money. I still lost, but it was a lot closer than the previous ones.
Any tips on how to spot those invaders faster? I have been one shot stabbed 3 times before I can even find them.

oracrest

_Xenon_ said:
Any tips on how to spot those invaders faster? I have been one shot stabbed 3 times before I can even find them.

I noticed recently that the black phantoms will go invisible until they are relatively close to you? (Or maybe a common spell is being used,) But there is still a floating white spot where they are that you can spot from a ways off. At first it looks like any other white phantom phasing in and out, but will not fade away over time.

It's also to get a good mental map of the level going, and try to imagine how far you could get in a level just having to run there. I am usually just a room or two off if I go running back to meet them halfway from where I am.

Canova

Banned
SteelAttack said:

how could you ever think about getting into another game without getting DS major trophies or even trying NG+? :D

..or at least do online play more, invade some people

Canova

Banned
_Xenon_ said:

here's my advises to new players about invasion. if you do these things, most likely you'd spot him first before he spots you

If you get invaded and you want to be invisible from the invaders, then:
- Wear a thief ring or graverobber ring
- Take off your fragrant ring, the blue aura would give it away where you are
- don't wear any regen items (regen ring, blessed weapons). Invaders can see your vitality bar from a mile away, this is even worse than fragrant ring

Most of mages I invaded didn't know about this. They wore thief/graverobber ring and yet kept the fragrant ring on. I just laughed everytime I see blue aura floating/running around

Having beat world 2 and lvl 1-1, 1-2, 3-1 and 4-1 I don't feel the game is still challenging me in the same way and it doesn't really get my adrenaline up anymore. I'm still hooked, but I've lost the itch. Did I lvl up to fast? I'm like SL46

Canova

Banned
Captain Knutsman said:
Having beat world 2 and lvl 1-1, 1-2, 3-1 and 4-1 I don't feel the game is still challenging me in the same way and it doesn't really get my adrenaline up anymore. I'm still hooked, but I've lost the itch. Did I lvl up to fast? I'm like SL46

you magic-based or melee-based build?

if you're magic-based, then switch to melee-based

Hey guys I've been meaning to get this game for agessssss but I heard the servers are being shut off soon?

Can you still play offline?

I might need to get that amazon deal tonight then!

Shinjitsu

Banned
DualShadow said:
Hey guys I've been meaning to get this game for agessssss but I heard the servers are being shut off soon?

Can you still play offline?

I might need to get that amazon deal tonight then!

Yes you can play offline, servers aren't supposed to go down tell March or later.

Shinjitsu said:
Yes you can play offline, servers aren't supposed to go down tell March or later.

Oh March, that's better then.

What's the reason they shutting them down? Inactive?

Sorry for all the questions haven't kept up to date.

gdt

Ok, need some help.

I bought/remembered Soul Arrow. Now it's in my top D-Pad slot. So...how do I actually use it?

gdt

...and he killed me in one hit (came down on my head or something).

I lasted way longer the first time :lol .

roxya

DualShadow said:
Oh March, that's better then.

What's the reason they shutting them down? Inactive?

There is always confusion over this. Basically, they're guaranteed to run until March. Every time we got to a guaranteed service date before, they extended it. I don't think they ever said they're going to shut anything down, we just don't know for sure that they'll run for longer.

Enjoying the game much more now with a female Royal. First boss was a piece of piss.

Questions :

1. How do people play? Do you go in any level to try or 1-1 then 1-2, 1-3 and so on?
2. Why are people jumping off the high ledge in Nexus?
3. I've heard about invading or being invaded. How does this work? (I assume I can't yet as I've only played for a few hours.)

And I have the soul of the first boss, are you suppose to use it or just keep it?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
1. How do people play? Do you go in any level to try or 1-1 then 1-2, 1-3 and so on?
I play depending on my mood. Start with 1-1, then proceed to 2-1. I love going to 4-1 right after 2-1 (since it'll be so difficult, but 4-1 is all about skill and block management). Tower of Latria is VERY delayed in my playthroughs though, sometimes I go to it after I've been through most of the game already.
When you die in human form, your world tendency drops a bit. This does not count if you die in Nexus.

Ashkeloth

MarkMclovin said:
Enjoying the game much more now with a female Royal. First boss was a piece of piss.

Questions :

3. I've heard about invading or being invaded. How does this work? (I assume I can't yet as I've only played for a few hours.)

And I have the soul of the first boss, are you suppose to use it or just keep it?

1. I personally make a bum rush for the stages that have the best equipment for my character now that I'm used enough to the game that I know where basically everything is. It's probably best to do them in order of 1-1 - 1-2, then 2-1 - 2-2, then all of 3 before beating flamelurker and king of dragons, before tackling 4 and 5 at the end.

2. Post above covers this. Dying in Nexus doesn't cost you any world tendency, so if you want pure white in any world, it's usually best to kill yourself after every level in the nexus as only death in body form and a couple of other things blacken world tendency.

3. You get a stone after 1-1 that lets you become a blue phantom. Blue phantoms can be called on by anyone via the blue phantom triggering the marker set by the player requesting help. They can then help out with the level.

Black phantoms are players who have used the blackeye stone, obtained by killing an NPC black phantoms in your game. They are then sent to invade a random players world. Black phantoms can only invade the levels of people in body form, so it's best to stick to soul form if you don't want to get your day ruined.

Demon's souls can be used for a large soul bonus, or traded to specific NPCs for new magic or used to create unique, usually very powerful weapons. It's best to view the *BOSS SPOILERS ON THIS PAGE* Demons Souls wiki page of the soul you have if you want to be sure you're not wasting it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DualShadow said:
Finally placed my order for this :D

Should get it sometime next week.
Never too late :D Keep updating us!

Yoshichan

MarkMclovin said:
Thanks for the advice!

I've no idea what World tendency and the phantom stuff is yet, so it looks like I better read the manual!
The manual kinda sucks for that though :lol Here's the better choice:

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Yoshichan

DualShadow said:
Thanks, guess i'll start think about which class to choose :D

I normally play a melee type.
Every class starts with different starting stats but it's all customizable in the end. You've probably heard how the Royal is the best class out there, which is not completely untrue. They start of with the Soul Arrow spell which is amazingly good, so it's really recommended. Royal also starts at level 1 (unlike some other classes), which makes your character customizable to 100%, if you want to switch to a more melee type of character.

Yoshichan said:
Every class starts with different starting stats but it's all customizable in the end. You've probably heard how the Royal is the best class out there, which is not completely untrue. They start of with the Soul Arrow spell which is amazingly good, so it's really recommended. Royal also starts at level 1 (unlike some other classes), which makes your character customizable to 100%, if you want to switch to a more melee type of character.

Thanks for the tips mate :D

Cant wait to start playing. hopefully the game has a decent tutorial :lol

canova said:
you magic-based or melee-based build?

if you're magic-based, then switch to melee-based

Actually I am melee based but I've been spending a lot of points on magic the to get soul arrow and gods wrath. Started out as a soldier :)

Zzoram

Shinjitsu said:
The best for what? It's good for some builds, other bows are better for other builds though. You need to be a little more specific:D
I guess damage? It seems to have the longest range and even the best starting damage. However a sticky compound long bow +5 probably has more damage, but shorter range.

Is it better to use white bow until sticky +5?

Aon

I've downed 1-1,1-2,2-1,3-1 so far and am making some solid progress in 4-1.

For worlds two and three I've made it to the boss of the second levels, but they destroy me in a way that the first bosses, particularly fools idol never did. Am I supposed to just suck it up or gain some levels/gear by doing the first level of each world before going up against Flames and Maneats?

Shinjitsu

Banned
Aon said:
I've downed 1-1,1-2,2-1,3-1 so far and am making some solid progress in 4-1.

For worlds two and three I've made it to the boss of the second levels, but they destroy me in a way that the first bosses, particularly fools idol never did. Am I supposed to just suck it up or gain some levels/gear by doing the first level of each world before going up against Flames and Maneats?

The maneaters are pretty much the most annoying boss in the game. Flamelurker I never really had to much problem with, I'm sure once you figured him out you could take him out pretty easy without any major upgrades.

But seriously, fuck Maneaters.

Zzoram said:
I guess damage? It seems to have the longest range and even the best starting damage. However a sticky compound long bow +5 probably has more damage, but shorter range.

Is it better to use white bow until sticky +5?
Yes. I have a white bow +5, but since it scales so poorly. It only does 255 damage at sl 712, while my sticky long compound long bow+5 does 369 with regular arrows. Just have both and compare the damage. White bow is a lot stronger initially, but loses when your dex is high with sticky.

oracrest

A testament to how great this game is.

I just discovered for the first time last night
the hidden tunnel in 4-2 that ends with the black skeleton and cliffside shortcut back to the beginning.

Hooj

Banned
Easily my most favourite PS3 game, shame that it's only 3 player co-op as opposed to the
stated 4 player co-op.

Who else thinks that the broken Archstone next to the Tower of Latria should be a DLC?

Canova

Banned
Hooj said:
Easily my most favourite PS3 game, shame that it's only 3 player co-op as opposed to the
stated 4 player co-op.

Who else thinks that the broken Archstone next to the Tower of Latria should be a DLC?

1 host + 2 blue phantoms + 1 black phantom = 4 co-ops ;)

Well, I got my ass steamrolled last night. I went a few times in body form into 4-1 to lure invaders. And they came. And they kicked my ass.

Then I tried to invade a few times, and found that the hosts ALSO kicked my ass. I think my build or equipment is not good for PvP.

Canova

Banned
Hooj said:
Yes, the Black Phantoms are extremely co-operative.:lol

:lol

SteelAttack said:
Well, I got my ass steamrolled last night. I went a few times in body form into 4-1 to lure invaders. And they came. And they kicked my ass.

Then I tried to invade a few times, and found that the hosts ALSO kicked my ass. I think my build or equipment is not good for PvP.

if you're not used to PvP, it can be tough the first few times.

There's a lag in PvP, and it takes time to adjust to. Experience PvP-ers know this. For example they hit attack button when their opponent still a few feet away, etc.

Top Bottom