• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Oneself

Hi guys!
I will receive the game today and probably start playing later tonight... what do you recommend, what should I do first (what are the best classes or whatever?)??

Oneself said:
Hi guys!
I will receive the game today and probably start playing later tonight... what do you recommend, what should I do first (what are the best classes or whatever?)??

The Royal class comes with a nice MP regeneration ring and a pew-pew-pew spell, but I recommend that you choose the totally awesome Temple Knight class instead. Your character will be far more suitable to melee his way through the first level and you also get a nice miracle that'll replenish your health. Class isn't really important once you get past the first level. It only affects the stats and equipment you start with. After a few hours you may customize your character in any way you'd like.

Oneself said:
Hi guys!

I found Temple Knight to be quite easy and not in the cheap hit with magic & run Royal way.

Canova

Banned
astroturfing said:
or, as can happen (at least in 4-1): host + 2 blue phantoms + 2 black phantoms = 5 player mayhem!

There's a glitch once in a while where you have 2 invaders at once.

But that's exactly what I want in the sequel! 3v3 PvP. if a host summons 1 or 2 blue phantoms, then the game should allow 2-3 invaders entering his game.

Oneself

archnemesis said:
The Royal class comes with a nice MP regeneration ring and a pew-pew-pew spell, but I recommend that you choose the totally awesome Temple Knight class instead. Your character will be far more suitable to melee his way through the first level and you also get a nice miracle that'll replenish your health. Class isn't really important once you get past the first level. It only affects the stats and equipment you start with. After a few hours you may customize your character in any way you'd like.

Thanks!! Good to know.. I might choose that "totally awesome Temple Knight" as I prefer melee attacks to magic in most, if not every, games.:D

canova said:
There's a glitch once in a while where you have 2 invaders at once.

But that's exactly what I want in the sequel! 3v3 PvP. if a host summons 1 or 2 blue phantoms, then the game should allow 2-3 invaders entering his game.
it would be nice if you were able to form alliances with other players and were able to summon them at will.

Ifrit

Got this game from the buy 2 get 1 free on Amazon a few days ago, I'm fucking addicted to this game even though I'm just starting. After beating Phalanx went to 2-1 and managed to beat the armored spider (killed the 2 bosses without dying ). The bosses are awesome and the sense of fear from dying that a few games have is great.

Royalty class FTW

Having said I'm going to stay away from this thread until I finish the game (or at least get to the final boss, since I read there's some stuff you should do before finishing the game in order to prepare for the NG+)

gdt

Got that son'bitch.

Now, which do I tackle next, 1-2 or 3-1? I want the thing so I can cast magic btw. I think I'll take 1-2.

Horns

I always read the thread title as "Demon's Souls 2", get excited for a moment then I get sad again. Reading comprehension FTL. :lol

gdt

The Magic Guard dudes in 3-1 are hard.

Their Soul Arrows fuck me up. My shield doesn't even hold all of that back. Too close, and they use that bomb of some sort. Fuuuck they suck.

On the plus side, I got a Catylist. MP doesn't regenerate though :(. How do I refill my MP bar?

Zzoram

gdt5016 said:

Their Soul Arrows fuck me up. My shield doesn't even hold all of that back. Too close, and they use that bomb of some sort. Fuuuck they suck.

On the plus side, I got a Catylist. MP doesn't regenerate though :(. How do I refill my MP bar?
You have to return to nexus, wear a fragrant ring (super slow mp regen) or eat spice (fresh or old) dropped by those magic guards.

If you think their projectiles are tough wait until you get close and they paralyze you.

Zzoram said:
You have to return to nexus, wear a fragrant ring (super slow mp regen) or eat spice (fresh or old) dropped by those magic guards.

If you think their projectiles are tough wait until you get close and they paralyze you.
:lol The first time you get paralyzed and watch the mindflayer dash towards you is awesome. I mean, in a pants-shitting kind of way.

Melfice7

Hooj said:
Yeh i remember that vid and on the back of the case it states 4 player but me and my friends just cannot get it sorted even though we are in the level range.

i have played with 3 blue phantoms before O: what levels are you all?

Canova

Banned
SteelAttack said:
:lol The first time you get paralyzed and watch the mindflayer dash towards you is awesome. I mean, in a pants-shitting kind of way.

you just feel hopeless and accept death when that happens :lol

gdt5016 said:

Thief ring and back stabs are your best bet against them. Also, dragon weapons will take them out quickly. If you have the resources you can also just use the anti spell miracle on them, which leaves them completely helpless being that all their attacks are spell based.

So, it appears Ostrava must be glitched in my game. I didn't find him in either 1-3 or 1-4. Furthermore,
Biorr died when we were taking on the dragon
in 1-4. I just can't seem to keep my friends alive. At least
the dragon
is dead now.

Having said that 1-4 is really quite tough. First off the black phantoms, where I had to cheese the one with the spear and the big ass shield, since he would otherwise destroy my equipment before he even gets to half health. I had to take him down with arrows for that reason. After that
the dragon
was quite a pain as well. Finally, the
Black Phantom Ostrava
was also quite tough. His sword deals magic damage which means I can't block it too good with my shield. Sure, I can go back to Nexus and get a magic shield, but I like the one I am using. Furthermore, it's risky to dodge since the ledge is quite narrow with fatal falls on both sides.

I'm glad you only have to fight these enemies once, as the boss is really tough. Yesterday I managed to get him down to half health. But a while later my character started moving really slowly. Turned out he had soul sucked me enough times to take my max equip burden below what I had currently equipped. I had to spend almost an hour of grinding (god I hate grinding) to get my soul level back up to what it was before the fight (sixty something). Next time, I'll come prepared with a ring of great strength. Hopefully, that will give me the buffer I need to keep the same thing from happening again.

ijed

Melfice7 said:
there is 4 player co-op, host + 3 blue phantoms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODrWxafi4YU skip to 7:40

not sure if serious that you consider a random sync glitch to be a feature
leZHE.gif

IIRC It says 1-4 players: You, 2 blues and BP (which can be of your choosing if they use
red duelling stone
).

Ifrit

So just a question/opinion, about those soldier's souls, unknown hero's souls, etc I keep finding. Should I use them right away as soon as I get to the Nexus? or should I save them for an emergency or some sort of "greater cause" if there's one?

gdt5016 said:
Wonder if I'm ready to take on the Red Eye Knight in 1-1...

I managed to kill him by the time I was at 3-1 (following the order 1-1, 2-1, 3-1), it wasn't an easy fight but it was doable, you get a good amount of souls for killing him, after that fight... well I don't want to spoil it lol

Ifrit said:
So just a question/opinion, about those soldier's souls, unknown hero's souls, etc I keep finding. Should I use them right away as soon as I get to the Nexus? or should I save them for an emergency or some sort of "greater cause" if there's one?

In early game, they're very useful because everything is cheap.
Later, they become drops in the bucket... and I find they're only useful if I used my souls to level up and need some for purchasing arrows or repairing equipment or if I'm like some small amount away from gaining that next soul level and I don't want to chance of losing them.

gdt

I had no idea I could use the Boss's souls for stuff other than leveling up. I already used up the 1-1 Soul :(, so, what should I do with 2-1's?

Ifrit

corrosivefrost said:
In early game, they're very useful because everything is cheap.
Later, they become drops in the bucket... and I find they're only useful if I used my souls to level up and need some for purchasing arrows or repairing equipment or if I'm like some small amount away from gaining that next soul level and I don't want to chance of losing them.

All right thanks, so I guess I should use them right now at least until things start becoming too expensive.

I know I should save the souls I get from bosses because you can get special items with them.

I just can't stop playing this game :lol

gdt5016 said:
I had no idea I could use the Boss's souls for stuff other than leveling up. I already used up the 1-1 Soul :(, so, what should I do with 2-1's?

I'm just starting this game, but with that one you can upgrade some spear to a special one. With the one from the second boss you have a choice between an upgrade, a miracle or a spell I think. And with the one from the 3-1 boss (which is where I'm at, just killed it) you can get a spell which is where I first seen the option use those special souls.

I'm not a fan of using faqs, or guides on my first playthrough but I found this pretty useful because I just hate having to make uninformed decisions then later regret it, use this page:
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/bosses click on view usage (upgrades)

Canova

Banned
gdt5016 said:

:lol

never eat boss souls for your 1st playtrhu

gdt

canova said:
:lol

never eat boss souls for your 1st playtrhu

Yeah, BUT NOWHERE in the game and/or instruction booklet did it say that I could use Boss Souls for something else.

This game should have a gigantic tome in it somewhere, sorta like what Assassin's Creed has, but a billion times more in-depth.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Just got this game from Amazon today, I had been looking forward to it ever since I got a PS3 a few months ago. For some reason I never heard much about it, it rarely even seemed mentioned among the PS3 greats.

I have a feeling the game is really awesome. I'm definitely enjoying it so far. I do wish there was a beginner FAQ or something because I'm scared to make a mistake. Not that I've probably gotten far enough to make one.

arotator

Neo Member
DJ_Tet said:
Just got this game from Amazon today, I had been looking forward to it ever since I got a PS3 a few months ago. For some reason I never heard much about it, it rarely even seemed mentioned among the PS3 greats.

I have a feeling the game is really awesome. I'm definitely enjoying it so far. I do wish there was a beginner FAQ or something because I'm scared to make a mistake. Not that I've probably gotten far enough to make one.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Read it before you play (so you don't shit your pants), as you play (be sure you're hunkered down in that safe spot), and after you play (to find out what mistakes you made).

Read it while you're at work (to figure out what weapon you need to upgrade, what boss soul you need to acquire, to become the ubermensch).

Read it before you go to bed to dream about souls and stats in your sleep.

When you wake up in the morning pray to the Old One and pour blessings upon all those magnanimous pioneers who contributed to that site, and pray for the many broken controllers that were thrown before and during the process it was being made.

Ifrit

Got to the boss at level 5-1, and he attacked just before I gave him the final hit, so my character was dying just as I was getting the congratulations text telling me that I killed it :lol So I had to basically reach the boss to find my corpse and get all my precious souls back, Thankfully I managed to recover it :D I yelled "Hell yes" when I did it

Then I tried 4-1, that mace that I got from 5-1 was great for killing those skulls, and I got a composite bow which seems awesome but I suck at it :lol Also I managed to get my revenge without getting hit :D but I don't want to spoil it. Holy shit at the Adjudicator he destoyed me in my first try but managed to kill him on my second time trough, I didn't think that I would be able to kill him, but I had to recover my corpse
did both :)

It's been a while since I felt this sense of victory while playing a game, it is so rewarding I love it

Leunam

gdt5016 said:
Yeah, BUT NOWHERE in the game and/or instruction booklet did it say that I could use Boss Souls for something else.

I think if you read the item description (square) it tells you you can use the soul for spells or weapons. I just started playing this game myself, but between GT5 coming out and my current participation in the F1 2010 league I don't know when I'll get time to play some more.

Captain Knutsman said:
Having beat world 2 and lvl 1-1, 1-2, 3-1 and 4-1 I don't feel the game is still challenging me in the same way and it doesn't really get my adrenaline up anymore. I'm still hooked, but I've lost the itch. Did I lvl up to fast? I'm like SL46

And just when the game had me fooled, it grabs me and says "that all you got foo?"

Just got going on world 3-2 and is getting my ass handed by man centipedes and when I placed my blue stones
some old dude summons me to fight pvp - pretty awesome and unintended stuff - I placed my blue stone to help people - not kill them.. Also it seems like it lowered my white soul tendency.
Had my heart racing, until the third try were i got the monks head collar. Pretty useless, but the battle was epic ;)

arotator said:
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Read it before you play (so you don't shit your pants), as you play (be sure you're hunkered down in that safe spot), and after you play (to find out what mistakes you made).

Read it while you're at work (to figure out what weapon you need to upgrade, what boss soul you need to acquire, to become the ubermensch).

Read it before you go to bed to dream about souls and stats in your sleep.

When you wake up in the morning pray to the Old One and pour blessings upon all those magnanimous pioneers who contributed to that site, and pray for the many broken controllers that were thrown before and during the process it was being made.

Actually I prefer not to read to much, I read up on upgrades and such to plan ahead, but enemies and level I want to explore myself - and I would recommend other newcomers to do the same :)

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I can't seem to beat 2-2 boss. I'm lvl 42 Thief, but I can barely do any damage on him. I've tried many, many times. Can someone help me beat him?

Minamu

Don't get hit :D Hit him with a weapon that corresponds with your primary stats for damage boosts. Dodge, run around like a chicken.

UltimaKilo said:
I can't seem to beat 2-2 boss. I'm lvl 42 Thief, but I can barely do any damage on him. I've tried many, many times. Can someone help me beat him?
He's weak to magic, so I used the crescent falchion if you have it. I would totally help you since I'm bored right now, but I'm sl 20. -_-

UltimaKilo said:
Holy shit did this guy give me fits. I'm a SL 35 Temple Knight without magical weapons and I died against him about 15-20 times. Yesterday I spent an hour stocking up 56 Full Moon Grass (and gaining enough soul points to obtain the miracle Evacuate, cause I knew 2 additional soul levels wasn't going to be as helpful as this miracle to farm more Full Moon Grass) and I still used all of them and not succeed.

Every so often I did learn something new about the 2-2 boss.

So I said, "fuck it," and 1 hour ago started farming Full Moon Grass and buying Half Moon Grass from Patches (each time I killed one of those flame-shooting fat guys I got enough points to buy one Half Moon Grass, which is just as good as Full Moon in my phantom form). I got up to 30 and 18, respectively and also bought 41 heavy bolts for my crossbow.

I finally defeated him about 20 minutes ago. Did require a huge amount of luck. I ate grass pretty much every time my health dropped 15% from maximum available.

My strategy:
Used the flame resistance ring and cling ring. I stayed close to him in the beginning. When he does his explosion move I would flank around him. I found out that you can decrease your flank radius as much as possible during this move and not be hurt by him just from touching him. That way you're completely behind him and can attack without being affected by the explosion. I jab him only once each time to save stamina for shield and rolls. When he jumps at you I held my shield up; either he hit my shield and was stunned or overjumped me. These were also opportunities for striking. I did have a heavy shield so this may make a difference. If you block his standard swipes you can also jab once then quickly jump back and backpedal to stay out of explosion range.

With enough damage incurred he goes into rampage mode with more explosions. I tried keeping my distance and started using my wimpy crossbow but apparently 41 heavy bolts wasn't enough, :lol. I reverted to my previous strategy and that got the last 5% or so of the boss's health. Twice he and I ended up stuck in a corner and the camera going wonky and me going "shitshitshitshitshit" but each time I wiggled out with enough room to eat grass and endure.

Very satisfying kill, when it did happen.

Hey all, my friend finally got a ps3 and i forced him to get this, system is updating and i can't remember off the top of my head what the level ratio for co/op was?

MickeyKnox said:
Hey all, my friend finally got a ps3 and i forced him to get this, system is updating and i can't remember off the top of my head what the level ratio for co/op was?
If they're the host, it's 10+10% of Soul Level. If you're level 20, you can summon phantoms who are sl 8-32. Any higher or lower and you can't see the soul signs.

Top Bottom