• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

jett said:
Huh hmm all right.

A question, I just bought the heal spell(and memorized it), but the game doesn't let me use it, what's up with that.
are you using a talisman? talismans cast miracles (which heal is) and wands cast spells. there is an item in the game called the "talisman of god beasts" which lets you cast both miracles and spells though.

jett

D-Member
Rabbitwork said:
are you using a talisman? talismans cast miracles (which heal is) and wands cast spells. there is an item in the game called the talisman of god which lets you cast both miracles and spells though.

Yeah no, I don't have that...it'd be nice if the game explained anything at all.

Zzoram

The one that can cast miracles AND spells is Talisman of the Beast, and I think you can only get in with Pure Black World Tendency in 2-2 after killing a named black phantom along the shortcut to the boss.

Zzoram said:
The one that can cast miracles AND spells is Talisman of the Beast, and I think you can only get in with Pure Black World Tendency in 2-2 after killing a named black phantom along the shortcut to the boss.
this is correct, my mistake. edited previous post.

jett said:
Huh hmm all right.

A question, I just bought the heal spell(and memorized it), but the game doesn't let me use it, what's up with that.

Heal is a miracle so you need to equip a talisman to use it. The easiest place to get one is in 4-1, you'll find a Talisman of God to the right of the first fog gate.

Zzoram said:
Was just going to say. Talisman of God is for miracles, catalysts for magic. There is two ways to get the talisman of beasts but right now I can't recall the second. I suppose I could be wrong, could anyone clarify?

The talisman of god is at the second wall/arch in 4-1 (just past the first staircase)

Zzoram said:

You can also get a Talisman of beasts from
Mephistopheles for assassinating Ostrava.

Talisman of Beasts Is the 2nd/1sts strongest magic weapon in the game but you have to keep both your Magic and Faith equal to boost its attack power.

Killing that guy was a pain in the ass, its worth it though.

electroshockwave said:
Sorry, I wasn't thinking.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS, can you spoiler tag my quote so I don't ruin anyone else's fun?

Sorry that it took so long, I was at work when I posted that, didn't even think of spoiler tagging it.

Speaking of which, Atlus has again extended server support for the game.
http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8393
Atlus USA Forums said:
DEMON'S SOULS ONLINE SERVERS EXTENDED AGAIN, PROVE AS CHALLENGING TO SLAY AS FLAMELURKER
Pick up the award-winning hardcore multiplayer action RPG gift at a low Greatest Hits price
and enjoy Pure White Tendency through the holidays!

IRVINE, CA -- DECEMBER 17, 2010 -- Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today again extended support for its award-winning hardcore multiplayer action RPG Demon's Souls™ for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, committing to maintain the servers responsible for the game's groundbreaking online interactivity to its second anniversary.

"We've said it before and we'll say it again," commented Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales at Atlus. "We will support the online servers for Demon's Souls as long as we possibly can, and we'll be as transparent about the entire process as possible, hence us constantly updating folks as to what to expect. That said, we're starting to think..." he murmured before leaning closer, "the servers may have taken on a bit of a... life of their own. Have you played the game? It's not just one of the most brilliant roleplaying games ever made; it's darn challenging, too. It's starting to feel like even if we wanted to, we couldn't shut things down." He leaned even closer: "Honestly, we're more worried the servers will shut us down than the other way around," he whispered before leaning back and laughing aloud nervously.

In addition to their continued commitment to the game's unmatched online functionality, Atlus also revealed plans for a Pure White World Tendency event. Starting on December 20th and running until just into 2011, the event will allow newcomers their best chance to ease into the treacherous, brutally addicting world of Boletaria while also offering hardcore gamers access to the many secrets and otherwise inaccessible paths unlocked by the tendency shift.

Demon's Souls is out now for PlayStation 3 system. For more information, visit the game's official website at http://www.demons-souls.com.

Foffy

Banned
Hey guys, I'm about to fight
the Maneaters
and I've heard from many that this is the most annoying fight in the game. So, to prevent frustration, is there anything special I need? The area is in Black World Tendancy, due to me dying around 12 times on 3-1 (I blame the camera for at least 7 of those deaths, as it wouldn't let me target the fucking medusa-looking things. First time I got Black World Tendency in the game, too, though I intend to do it for all the areas to fight Black Phantoms and Primeval Demons).

I believe my Soul Level is 49, and I'm using the Dragon Long Sword you can find in 2-2 (The one that's just a normal sword but with a flame attribute). I haven't found any other weapons I can wield that are stronger than it, all of the weapons I find take more hits to take down enemies, which includes the larger swords and axes...

WEGGLES

"Tough to slay as Flame Lurker" :lol

I had no trouble with Flame Lurker.
Towerknight gave me more shit.

Not complaining about extended servers though :D

Haunted

jett said:
Yeah no, I don't have that...it'd be nice if the game explained anything at all.
I absolutely recommend playing this game with a FAQ. Cuts down a lot on the possible frustration caused by strange design decisions (like not explaining shit :p).

I definitely wouldn't have liked the game as much otherwise.

Foffy said:
Hey guys, I'm about to fight
the Maneaters
and I've heard from many that this is the most annoying fight in the game. So, to prevent frustration, is there anything special I need? The area is in Black World Tendancy, due to me dying around 12 times on 3-1 (I blame the camera for at least 7 of those deaths, as it wouldn't let me target the fucking medusa-looking things. First time I got Black World Tendency in the game, too, though I intend to do it for all the areas to fight Black Phantoms and Primeval Demons).

I believe my Soul Level is 49, and I'm using the Dragon Long Sword you can find in 2-2 (The one that's just a normal sword but with a flame attribute). I haven't found any other weapons I can wield that are stronger than it, all of the weapons I find take more hits to take down enemies, which includes the larger swords and axes...
you can cheese this fight by firing a bow through the fog door that leads to the encounter. it's possible to kill one of the maneaters (they won't move provided you don't step through the fog door) in this manner, leaving only one to deal with. the biggest tip i can offer with the actual encounter is to try and keep the large brazier (middle of the bridge) between you and the maneater and range attack or backstab/attack when they charge and miss you (they'll charge at a tangent to the brazier and go right by you).

also watch the edges.

Foffy

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
you can cheese this fight by firing a bow through the fog door that leads to the encounter. it's possible to kill one of the maneaters (they won't move provided you don't step through the fog door) in this manner, leaving only one to deal with. the biggest tip i can offer with the actual encounter is to try and keep the large brazier (middle of the bridge) between you and the maneater and range attack or backstab/attack when they charge and miss you (they'll charge at a tangent to the brazier and go right by you).

also watch the edges.

I've mostly relied on magical spells when it comes to the bosses, quite simply due to fear. :lol

Are there any super effective spells to use or does it really have to focus on melee combat?

Foffy said:
I've mostly relied on magical spells when it comes to the bosses, quite simply due to fear. :lol

Are there any super effective spells to use or does it really have to focus on melee combat?
i used firespray to pretty great effect with a second character i made, you can charge right at the first one, firespraying away and run right by him to turn around and do it again. just make sure regardless of how you tackle the fight that you focus on one maneater at a time. the 2nd one appears once the first one is at 20% health. don't try and juggle them, just focus fire on one and the 2nd one becomes pretty easy to kite around.

Wizman23 said:
What does the WWT event mean? My 14.99 copy just arrived from amazon should I wait to start until the 20th because of that?
White World Tendency

demon's souls uses a tendency mechanic which influences how difficult the enemies are and how frequent rare(er) items drop. black tendency means characters get harder but drops get better. white tendency means the opposite. there are also specific characters/events that happen when the world is pure white (PWWT) or pure black (PBWT). if you don't intend to go after specific trophies/items/weapons, you can largely ignore this mechanic.

the official wiki has a great breakdown of how this system works and is influenced.

Wizman23

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
White World Tendency

demon's souls uses a tendency mechanic which influences how difficult the enemies are and how frequent rare(er) items drop. black tendency means characters get harder but drops get better. white tendency means the opposite. there are also specific characters/events that happen when the world is pure white (PWWT) or pure black (PBWT). if you don't intend to go after specific trophies/items/weapons, you can largely ignore this mechanic.

the official wiki has a great breakdown of how this system works and is influenced.

Cool thanks. So basically the gameplay should be a bit easier but not as much rare loot will drop. Sounds perfect for the first time I ever play this game. Can't wait to get into it been hearing nothing but good things the past year.

oracrest

I don't think it's really a spoiler, but to new players out there, when an area that is unlocked during white world tendency is reached in game, you will then forever be able to go back to that area, even if the tendency changes later on.

jett

D-Member
So what's the deal with CO-OP, I once saw a blue-ish message on the ground, saying something about invading another world. Was that another player requesting co-op play? I wish this game wasn't so fucking cryptic.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
jett said:
So what's the deal with CO-OP, I once saw a blue-ish message on the ground, saying something about invading another world. Was that another player requesting co-op play? I wish this game wasn't so fucking cryptic.

Indeed.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
This is good. I hope they do another Pure Black event in the future since for whatever reason half of the events didn't show up for me last time despite deliberately avoiding killing a boss. Pure White will at least make my second play through easier if I ever bother to get back around to it.

Foffy

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
i used firespray to pretty great effect with a second character i made, you can charge right at the first one, firespraying away and run right by him to turn around and do it again. just make sure regardless of how you tackle the fight that you focus on one maneater at a time. the 2nd one appears once the first one is at 20% health. don't try and juggle them, just focus fire on one and the 2nd one becomes pretty easy to kite around.

Gotcha. One more thing. What should I do about
Yurt? I know he kills NPCs, and I don't like that, so when can I tackle him. In the stage, or in the Nexus. Which is easier? And will he kill anyone after I kill the Maneaters?

I still really new to this game, but I am really starting to like it. I found a Purple Flame Shield and found that I needed 22 strength to use it...so I raised my str to 22 and equipped it, but I move really slowly with it equipped. I am not overburdoned, so any idea why this would be?

ArachosiA 78 said:
I still really new to this game, but I am really starting to like it. I found a Purple Flame Shield and found that I needed 22 strength to use it...so I raised my str to 22 and equipped it, but I move really slowly with it equipped. I am not overburdoned, so any idea why this would be?

there's two kinds of burden item (inventory) and equip (equipped gear)

if the equip burden is over 50% it will hamper movement.

Foffy said:
Gotcha. One more thing. What should I do about
Yurt? I know he kills NPCs, and I don't like that, so when can I tackle him. In the stage, or in the Nexus. Which is easier? And will he kill anyone after I kill the Maneaters?

You can kill him as soon as you meet him in 3-2. If you let him live and defeat the maneaters he will be in the Nexus and have killed a couple of redshirts. He will only kill named NPCs one at a time after you defeat a boss. The only real reason to wait until he's in the Nexus is if you won't have enough weight free in your item burden to be able to carry his Gloom armor (weight is ~30 and it's poison and plague resistance make it very useful in a couple of other levels). As far as killing him is concerned, when I set him free and then attacked him in 3-2 he fell off the edge to his death so I reloaded my save and his armour was beside his cage so that's probably the easiest way to beat him and get his armour.

ArachosiA 78 said:

Raise the endurance stat to increase your equip burden. If you just run and roll slower you've gone over 50% of your equip burden. If you can't roll at all you have exceeded your equip burden. Also be aware of what weapons and armor you have equipped and try to be as efficient as possible.

Foffy

Banned
electroshockwave said:
You can kill him as soon as you meet him in 3-2. If you let him live and defeat the maneaters he will be in the Nexus and have killed a couple of redshirts. He will only kill named NPCs one at a time after you defeat a boss. The only real reason to wait until he's in the Nexus is if you won't have enough weight free in your item burden to be able to carry his Gloom armor (weight is ~30 and it's poison and plague resistance make it very useful in a couple of other levels). As far as killing him is concerned, when I set him free and then attacked him in 3-2 he fell off the edge to his death so I reloaded my save and his armour was beside his cage so that's probably the easiest way to beat him and get his armour.

Is there a difference between fighting him in 3-2 and the Nexus stat/skill wise for Yurt? I think I'd rather fight him there, as it's a bit of a battle to get to him in 3-2 with all of the Black Phantoms roaming about, and the wonky Gargoyle fights on elevators.

Foffy said:
Is there a difference between fighting him in 3-2 and the Nexus stat/skill wise for Yurt? I think I'd rather fight him there, as it's a bit of a battle to get to him in 3-2 with all of the Black Phantoms roaming about, and the wonky Gargoyle fights on elevators.

Not as far as I know. If you're going to fight him in the Nexus I'd recommend backstabbing him a few times with your strongest weapon or hitting him with something powerful like firestorm.

seady

I was just reading the news today about Atlus's plan to close the server.

What do they mean exactly?

For such an online driven game, they were originally planned to get rid of the online stuffs a year after release? I am glad they extended this plan to November, but even still, isn't it a bit tooooo soon?

Zzoram

So they officially extended it to November 2011? Because they've been extending it basically every few months, so I really think they want to keep the servers up. As long as people keep playing and they maintain some minimum server activity, they'll keep them up.

Every trophy in the game can be achieved offline. There is only 1 item in the game that you can only get online, and it's only good for mage builds. The online is definitely nice but the vast, vast majority of the time you play connected online, you have 0 interaction with anyone, and even when you do there is no way to talk to each other.

DJ_Tet

Banned
oracrest said:
Indeed

Noooo doubt :lol

I was trying to explain to my buddy this game (I don't understand it much myself) but that was basically how I said it. I thought everything was going fine, I made it to this boss, died instantly and I've been stuck in hell every since :lol

Zzoram

There is an easy way to kill most of the bosses, usually involving magic or bow and arrows. Worse case, summon some blue phantoms and let the experienced guys do all the work while you just stay alive.

I offered myself up as a blue phantom a few times to see what strategy other people were using to tackle bosses so I could then go back and try the same thing.

IrishNinja

fuck yes, so happy to see WWT soon! on my 2nd playthrough, and i needed just a bit more to get pure white in world 4 for one of the last unique weapons.

one quick question:

during my fight with the false king, i got soul sucked (;_;), but i didn't notice actually losing a level...does this happen?

can't wait to start farming for stones soon! and to the dude on this page who said he wishes the game would tell you shit...:lol yeah, me too, ive had a ton of help from a good friend and more reading on the demon's souls wiki trying to sort shit, good luck man!

IrishNinja said:
during my fight with the false king, i got soul sucked (;_;), but i didn't notice actually losing a level...does this happen?
Yes, or at least it should happen.
Apparently, you can get the lost levels back by touching your bloodstain.

IrishNinja

ah, thats what happened, then! :lol cause yeah, he whooped the shit out of me.

until i was told of the magic of rotten arrows + not moving. fuck you, its not honorable but it works!

jett

D-Member
Just got a taste of co-op, and a taste of 4-1. If those two guys hadn't been helping me I think I would've gotten my ass whooped. :p Still I kinda helped in taking that big fat guy near the start with some arrows...from really...really far away. So now I have the talisman of god and can do spells yay...no idea what level to do now though.

jett

D-Member
zomg level 3-1 is creepy as fuck :S

What's the deal with magic, I have my talisman equipped, I have heal memorized, but it's not working, or works only some times.

Wizman23

Banned
So I have a lot of unknown heroes souls, unknown soldiers souls and renowned soldiers souls. Should i use them for the souls or should I be holding onto these for something later in the game?

Leunam

Use them, but only when you are about to buy something or level some stats. Wouldn't want to lose those souls unnecessarily.

Top Bottom