• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

IrishNinja

yeah, i was taught you should hoard them and when you beat a boss, use them up & level. if you have too many left over/close to leveling again, go somewhere and grind a bit (4-4 is awesome if you've cleared it before).

Persona7

Banned
Zzoram said:
So they officially extended it to November 2011? Because they've been extending it basically every few months, so I really think they want to keep the servers up. As long as people keep playing and they maintain some minimum server activity, they'll keep them up.

Every trophy in the game can be achieved offline. There is only 1 item in the game that you can only get online, and it's only good for mage builds. The online is definitely nice but the vast, vast majority of the time you play connected online, you have 0 interaction with anyone, and even when you do there is no way to talk to each other.
What item is this? I feel like I might have missed something.

roxya

jett said:
zomg level 3-1 is creepy as fuck :S

What's the deal with magic, I have my talisman equipped, I have heal memorized, but it's not working, or works only some times.

It doesn't just need to be equipped, it needs to be held (instead of a weapon or shield). Press dpad left/right to switch the items in each hand.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
electroshockwave said:
The Monk's head collar. You get it for being summoned as the boss in 3-3 by the Old Monk and defeating the host.

First time I ever got invaded the guy was wearing that... freaked me out... I'm like wtf is this!?

I tried to run away. Didn't work. :/

Eh... I was new.

jett

D-Member
roxya said:
It doesn't just need to be equipped, it needs to be held (instead of a weapon or shield). Press dpad left/right to switch the items in each hand.

I had it held, managed to use it once, but couldn't use it again(my magic meter seemed full).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jett said:
I had it held, managed to use it once, but couldn't use it again(my magic meter seemed full).

Wear you wearing a ring or item that increased your MP when you first casted it? Maybe it requires more MP than you have or something.

jett

D-Member
Snuggler said:
Wear you wearing a ring or item that increased your MP when you first casted it? Maybe it requires more MP than you have or something.

nope, might've been a bug...When I used it the one time my magic meter didn't decrease. I used "Talisman of God" btw.

So here I am, trying to assist other players in defeating 3-3's boss (I wanted to brighten my character's tendency) and I finally succeed in being summoned as a blue phantom. Good. We make it to the boss's lair without a cutscene. Strange, I thought. As I enter the fog, I see my summoner fighting thin air. Great, my game/server glitched and I can't see the boss. I try my best to swing in the same direction as my ally, and proceed to get back-stabbed twice. Luckily we win and I'm thankful to receive an "A" grade. Too bad a third person wasn't in on the fight.

Man, there's gotta be a simpler way to get pure white character tendency without waiting for pure black world tendency.

Foffy

Banned
hockeypuck said:
So here I am, trying to assist other players in defeating 3-3's boss (I wanted to brighten my character's tendency) and I finally succeed in being summoned as a blue phantom. Good. We make it to the boss's lair without a cutscene. Strange, I thought. As I enter the fog, I see my summoner fighting thin air. Great, my game/server glitched and I can't see the boss. I try my best to swing in the same direction as my ally, and proceed to get back-stabbed twice. Luckily we win and I'm thankful to receive an "A" grade. Too bad a third person wasn't in on the fight.

Man, there's gotta be a simpler way to get pure white character tendency without waiting for pure black world tendency.

You could play offline, die a lot in the areas in Body Form to create Pure Black World Tendency and defeat the Black Phantoms that appear.

It seems this game is pretty hard to go from Neutral to White by yourself if you don't know the mechanics for World and Character Tendency, but very easy to go from White or Neutral to Black. In fact, isn't it largely impossible to go from Pure Black to Pure White in both Character and World in one fresh playthough? :lol

Foffy said:
You could play offline, die a lot in the areas in Body Form to create Pure Black World Tendency and defeat the Black Phantoms that appear.

It seems this game is pretty hard to go from Neutral to White by yourself if you don't know the mechanics for World and Character Tendency, but very easy to go from White or Neutral to Black. In fact, isn't it largely impossible to go from Pure Black to Pure White in both Character and World in one fresh playthough? :lol
Defeating invading black phantoms help towards white character tendency, at least. I'm one step below neutral, so even if I defeat all the applicable unique black phantoms I won't get pure white character tendency. Personal experience tells me that invading player black phantoms are a bitch, so I almost never walk around in body form ;(

Foffy

Banned
Heh, I learned Body Form was a bitch because I didn't learn until I cleared every area besides 1-4 that dying in that form detracts steps to Pure White. As a result, I've finished none of the areas that had Pure White items or events, outside of obtaining the Istarelle and fighting
Black Phantom Garl Vinland, though I couldn't pick up his fukken weapon ;_;
. But what's the point in that when the same area also has the motherfucking Moonlight Sword from the King's Field games? :D

Character tendency seems to be easy to get both sides of the spectrum from Neutral, and that's if you're going for Pure White first. Just a small question here: How many NPCs do I have to kill to go from Pure White to Pure Black? The NPCs in the Nexus are off limits, as well as the vendor in the Tower of Latria, considering she sells Old Spice.

Anybody still playing the Asian version of DS? Is there going to be a White World Tendency event soon? I really don't want to miss it, I need it for my Platinum.

Come on From Software, is it so hard, just flick the switch damn it! Please ;)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Wellllllp, only took like two hours and a huge chunk of my supplies, but I FINALLY beat Flamelurker on NG+.

It's going to take forever to recover the huge amount of supplies I had to use to beat him. :lol

However, it does feel good to have beat him, for the first time solo, no less.

roxya

jett said:
nope, might've been a bug...When I used it the one time my magic meter didn't decrease. I used "Talisman of God" btw.

Also, there's a ring that increases your miracle capacity, however at your stage of progress I don't think you'd have seen it yet...

My guess is what he said, some item that increases MP (Silver Coronet) that allowed you to cast it, but then you dequipped it at some point. Heal does have a very high MP cost for early in the game.

I wouldn't put it down to a bug, but if it's working now, maybe we can forget about it :D

Dreavus

This game...

If it's not one thing it's another. Fall through a floor and get brutally murdered by birdmen; tap one of the giant red bugs (since I have no ranged attacks) and get poisoned while a birdman spears me in the back to finish me off; approach a birdman along a narrow path only to find when I get closer that he's roughly 5 times the size of a regular one and beats my face into the ground. I should've known when the bloodstain I touched showed a fellow getting knocked off his feet multiple times before dying.

Jesus. In 2-1 I only had problems on the boss which I figured out fairly quickly. I'm getting very discouraged by this stage because of the lack of shortcuts. Maybe I should try a different one first?

Dreavus said:
This game...

If it's not one thing it's another. Fall through a floor and get brutally murdered by birdmen; tap one of the giant red bugs (since I have no ranged attacks) and get poisoned while a birdman spears me in the back to finish me off; approach a birdman along a narrow path only to find when I get closer that he's roughly 5 times the size of a regular one and beats my face into the ground. I should've known when the bloodstain I touched showed a fellow getting knocked off his feet multiple times before dying.

Jesus. In 2-1 I only had problems on the boss which I figured out fairly quickly. I'm getting very discouraged by this stage because of the lack of shortcuts. Maybe I should try a different one first?

I'd definitely try somewhere else, in general I find the Valley of defilement to be really punishing and the deadly drops in 5-1 are only the start although I didn't have much trouble with the bosses. Have you done 4-1 or 1-2? IIRC there's a wooden catalyst near the start of 1-2, once you have it you could learn soul arrow and flametoss and you'll have some effective ranged capability considering the amount of enemies and bosses that are weak in some way to magic or fire.

Dreavus

electroshockwave said:
I'd definitely try somewhere else, in general I find the Valley of defilement to be really punishing and the deadly drops in 5-1 are only the start although I didn't have much trouble with the bosses. Have you done 4-1 or 1-2? IIRC there's a wooden catalyst near the start of 1-2, once you have it you could learn soul arrow and flametoss and you'll have some effective ranged capability considering the amount of enemies and bosses that are weak in some way to magic or fire.

Haven't done either of those yet, only 1-1 and 2-1. 1-2 sounds like a good idea for the catalyst (I started as a Knight). I didn't do it right away because I was afraid the difficulty would ramp up too quickly if I went too far in the same stage. Thanks!

I managed to find a Talisman of God during my stay in 5-1, so that might help too.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dreavus said:
This game...

ehknr.png

Welcome to the Valley of Defilement. Enjoy your stay. :D

So I beat the Tower Knight... he gave me some trouble the first few times, but then I found this assassin clothing and changed out of my armor into that...holy shit, I could move at least 3 times faster. Then I upgraded me sword to lvl 4. With this combo I took that bitch down in about 2 minutes flat with only getting hit one time. I had no idea my armor was weighing me down so much.

oracrest

I hit the Maneater glitch today where one of them dissappears, and never comes back. Kind of disappointing to have to restart after killing one, but it gave me some time to wander around the bridge, and I discovered
the small moon sword on the ledge near the stairs
for the first time, out of 4 playthroughs :)

oracrest said:
I hit the Maneater glitch today where one of them dissappears, and never comes back. Kind of disappointing to have to restart after killing one, but it gave me some time to wander around the bridge, and I discovered
the small moon sword on the ledge near the stairs
for the first time, out of 4 playthroughs :)

Whats your load out so far? Have you made a morion blade for some hypermode, i dont know what i would do without it.

I was getting my ass kicked all over the place yesterday trying to get my life back from invading. between lag and fighting multiple people at once, stupid area effect DBS attacks i need to some tips for PVP or at least invading.

oracrest

Krauser Kat said:
Whats your load out so far? Have you made a morion blade for some hypermode, i dont know what i would do without it.

I was getting my ass kicked all over the place yesterday trying to get my life back from invading. between lag and fighting multiple people at once, stupid area effect DBS attacks i need to some tips for PVP or at least invading.

My load out? I'm not sure I follow what your asking. I am using a Scimitar +8 for my weapon. This is for my level 1 playthrough, so most weapons are out of my league to wield.

KdoubleA

I bought this game last night and I love its challenging nature but I have a question that's probably been asked before. Is the 1-2 boss even possible early in the game? I kept grinding souls and leveling up pretty early (only played 1-1 and 1-2) and I'm at Soul level 16. Yet every time that boss kills me in two blows! Should I just continue with 2-1 and return later to this? Thanks!

oracrest

KdoubleA said:
I bought this game last night and I love its challenging nature but I have a question that's probably been asked before. Is the 1-2 boss even possible early in the game? I kept grinding souls and leveling up pretty early (only played 1-1 and 1-2) and I'm at Soul level 16. Yet every time that boss kills me in two blows! Should I just continue with 2-1 and return later to this? Thanks!

There is something wrong with your approach. Take some time, and study his movements.

For a further hint:
take out his archers first, this will help when trying to fight him afterwards

For another hint:
I found that when I was far enough away from him that he would do his stabbing spear attack, that is what killed me most. However, getting up close to him changes his attacks, and I found them more manageable, and easier to see coming (you still have to be very careful though)

oracrest said:
My load out? I'm not sure I follow what your asking. I am using a Scimitar +8 for my weapon. This is for my level 1 playthrough, so most weapons are out of my league to wield.
I was just asking what weapons you were using along with armor and spells.

Vitten

KdoubleA said:

Every boss is killable at whatever level you are. There's no real need for grinding in this game, you can beat everything at level 1. Your equipment however will make a lot of diference, if you have good upgraded gear killing things will be a lot easier.
For the 1-2 boss you just need to avoid to his attacks at all costs and keep attacking his heels. Never stay in front of him; sprint towards him and quickroll through his legs or run around him so you can hit him from the back. Once you did enough damage to his heels he'll fall over and you can do massive damage to his head.

oracrest

Krauser Kat said:
I was just asking what weapons you were using along with armor and spells.

I have the Leather Armor set, with Gloom Helmet, Scimitar +8, and Buckler +8.

Cling Ring, and Thief Ring. I am doing the playthrough all melee, no spells. Tuck and roll!

KdoubleA said:

Wait till you can wield a bow, it will make the fight substanially easier.

their is a decent one in 4-1 that you can get, as well as one in the level you are currently on.

KdoubleA

oracrest said:
There is something wrong with your approach. Take some time, and study his movements.

For a further hint:
take out his archers first, this will help when trying to fight him afterwards

For another hint:
I found that when I was far enough away from him that he would do his stabbing spear attack, that is what killed me most. However, getting up close to him changes his attacks, and I found them more manageable, and easier to see coming (you still have to be very careful though)

Vitten said:
Every boss is killable at whatever level you are. There's no real need for grinding in this game, you can beat everything at level 1. Your equipment however will make a lot of diference, if you have good upgraded gear killing things will be a lot easier.
For the 1-2 boss you just need to avoid to his attacks at all costs and keep attacking his heels. Never stay in front of him; sprint towards him and quickroll through his legs or run around him so you can hit him from the back. Once you did enough damage to his heels he'll fall over and you can do massive damage to his head.

Thanks for the help and hints, guys. Yeah I figured that was the case, it's definitely my approach. My weapons and armor are upgraded and powerful enough.

Krauser Kat said:
Wait till you can wield a bow, it will make the fight substanially easier.

their is a decent one in 4-1 that you can get, as well as one in the level you are currently on.

Yeah, I picked that up. I'm using a crossbow as my secondary weapon though.

KdoubleA said:
Thanks for the help and hints, guys. Yeah I figured that was the case, it's definitely my approach. My weapons and armor are upgraded and powerful enough.

Yeah, I picked that up. I'm using a crossbow as my secondary weapon though.

just in case you did not know, you can manually aim Arrows shot by a bow not by a crossbow, by pressing L1. Also a thing to keep in mind. Bows are always held 2handed and get the 1.5 str bonus for being two handed. 16 str = 24 2handed 18 str = 27 str

A.R.K

finally defeated the MOFO maneater :D !!! After almost 30 tries this was the toughest boss for me for some reason...but the satisfaction after defeating a tough boss in this game is just sooooo.... fuckyeah.jpg :lol...love this game!

left todo: 1-4,4-2,4-3,5-*

oracrest

A.R.K said:
finally defeated the MOFO maneater :D !!! After almost 30 tries this was the toughest boss for me for some reason...but the satisfaction after defeating a tough boss in this game is just sooooo.... fuckyeah.jpg :lol...love this game!

He was the toughest boss for me too. Him and Flamelurker are the worst for melee characters.

Congrats!

A.R.K said:

congrats maneater is a bitch.

Rabbitwork said:
goddamn the following items:

-pure bladestone
-pure darkmoonstone
-chunks of marrowstone

damn them.
Pure Blade is a bitch do you need it for a uchi? i can give you one if you want. Also i have some spare darkmoon pures and +5 Crescent Uchi and Flachion.

Krauser Kat said:
Pure Blade is a bitch do you need it for a uchi? i can give you one if you want. Also i have some spare darkmoon pures and +5 Crescent Uchi and Flachion.
i need all of them for the trophies (going for plat). currently using a moon uchi +5, northern regalia does more dmg but i like the speed and attack angles of the uchi better.

if you'd be kind enough to trade them to me i'd love it, but i'm SL 189 (i did a lot of grinding) so i don't know if we'd be able to meet.

Alright so I picked this game up, and it's pretty hard, but I'm wondering if I'm playing it right.

Obviously early on I died and went to the Nexus and started the first quest as a spirit. I finally beat the level which revived me back to human form and was brought back to the Nexus. I went upstairs and then accidently fell off the ledge and died again making me go back to the spirit form. Do I have to beat a whole new level just to go back to human form? I just feel like having only half the health bar makes this so much more difficult and I can't imagine there's no other way to revive myself.

Fun game though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dr. Feel Good said:
Alright so I picked this game up, and it's pretty hard, but I'm wondering if I'm playing it right.

Obviously early on I died and went to the Nexus and started the first quest as a spirit. I finally beat the level which revived me back to human form and was brought back to the Nexus. I went upstairs and then accidently fell off the ledge and died again making me go back to the spirit form. Do I have to beat a whole new level just to go back to human form? I just feel like having only half the health bar makes this so much more difficult and I can't imagine there's no other way to revive myself.

Fun game though.

Go back through 1-1 and get the Cling Ring if you don't already have it. Wearing that while in Spirit Form will boost your life bar to 75% of maximum. Really, there's little reason to be in Body Form most of the time. Spirit Form is actually better because you won't get invaded by other players. The only time you should really be in Body Form is if you want to summon other players (Blue Phantoms) to help you with a stage.

There are other ways to regain your body, however. Namely, an item called "Stone of Ephemeral Eyes". You can find these throughout the game, and using one will restore you to Body Form.

Ahh, ok, thanks. I'll try and redo 1-1 then.

I saw that a new "chapter" or something opened after 1-1, where I think I fight the dragons on the cliff. Is that the next place I'm supposed to go or would it be the next statue thing? Sorry for not being too specific, the game just has a lot to understand I feel like.

So if you're not ever human form really, should I be unloading all of my souls on the shop as often as I can? Because when I died I lost 2,000 souls, which sucked.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dr. Feel Good said:
Ahh, ok, thanks. I'll try and redo 1-1 then.

I saw that a new "chapter" or something opened after 1-1, where I think I fight the dragons on the cliff. Is that the next place I'm supposed to go or would it be the next statue thing? Sorry for not being too specific, the game just has a lot to understand I feel like.

So if you're not ever human form really, should I be unloading all of my souls on the shop as often as I can? Because when I died I lost 2,000 souls, which sucked.

First, regarding the souls: If you go back to the place you died, you'll see a bloodstain with blue "sparkles" on the ground. Those are the souls you lost. Just touch the bloodstain to get them back. However, if you die again on your way back, the souls are gone for good. Don't worry, it happens to all of us. I lost 60,000 souls last night on the same level in New Game +. And you should be unloading your souls to level up at the Maiden in Black, not at the shop.

And in 1-2, you won't actually be fighting the dragons. Well, you can TRY to fight the Red Dragon, but you won't get much of anywhere at your current level. Just ignore them, and try not to get roasted on the bridge.

As for where to go next, I'd probably recommend 2-1. The boss of 1-2 can be quite hard at low levels.

I knew you could go back to your dead body and collect the souls, but when I died in the Nexus, my old death spot was gone, so I couldn't recover the souls.

Sorry for so many questions, but another thing I was wondering is (and I feel like this is not common among RPG's) the weapons and armor that I use lose power/defense as I wear them? I know you can "repair" equipment in the Nexus, but how often should I be doing this/is it worth it?

Also I have a lot of extra daggers and worthless shields, can I sell those at all?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dr. Feel Good said:
I knew you could go back to your dead body and collect the souls, but when I died in the Nexus, my old death spot was gone, so I couldn't recover the souls.

Sorry for so many questions, but another thing I was wondering is (and I feel like this is not common among RPG's) the weapons and armor that I use lose power/defense as I wear them? I know you can "repair" equipment in the Nexus, but how often should I be doing this/is it worth it?

Also I have a lot of extra daggers and worthless shields, can I sell those at all?

Your death spot in the Nexus wasn't gone. Perhaps you didn't see it, but I can promise it wasn't gone. You can reclaim your souls even in the Nexus.

Yes, your weapons and armor can degrade over time. However, as long as you're stopping by the Blacksmith in the Nexus and getting everything repaired after each stage, you'll never see any ill effects from it. Durability has to be REALLY low before you start to see any effects.

No, you can't sell the extra equipment you have. Either throw it all in storage or just drop it (the latter is recommended for really useless stuff like the Slave Shields you get from the enemies in 1-1).

Glad to see this thread active again :D

Now for my question: I've beaten 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1.

Curious which is the next best for me to venture into? 3-1?

I ventured into 4-1 but there were flying enemies and I have no way of taking them out. (My bow is crappy and I had no arrows at the time :lol )

Top Bottom