• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
DualShadow said:
Glad to see this thread active again :D

Now for my question: I've beaten 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1.

Curious which is the next best for me to venture into? 3-1?

I ventured into 4-1 but there were flying enemies and I have no way of taking them out. (My bow is crappy and I had no arrows at the time :lol )

Actually I'd say you could do 4-1 just fine. You don't really need to take out the flying mantas. Just dodge their attacks and keep moving.

3-1 works too, though.

Seraphis Cain said:
Actually I'd say you could do 4-1 just fine. You don't really need to take out the flying mantas. Just dodge their attacks and keep moving.

3-1 works too, though.

Hmm ok thanks, the enemies in 4-1 seemed pretty tough and they seemed to hit me hard. Then I saw the big round dude in the castle sorta area and I just bailed like a chicken :lol

oracrest said:
He was the toughest boss for me too. Him and Flamelurker are the worst for melee characters.

Congrats!
Sweet! It's all smooth sailing from here on out for me then :lol.

Krauser Kat said:
how did you beat flame lurker with no magic weapons? sticky white stuff?
My two cents: steel shield for me. That thing significantly decreased the damage I received from his blows and with the long reach of my spear I just kept chipping away at his health. Took me about 15 mostly patient and methodical minutes.

I love the steel shield. It causes recoil in a lot of enemies and then I just go to town with the melee stick. No skill required. Hold L1, then click R1 four times. Rinse and repeat.

A.R.K

Dr. Feel Good said:
Ahh, ok, thanks. I'll try and redo 1-1 then.

I saw that a new "chapter" or something opened after 1-1, where I think I fight the dragons on the cliff. Is that the next place I'm supposed to go or would it be the next statue thing? Sorry for not being too specific, the game just has a lot to understand I feel like.

So if you're not ever human form really, should I be unloading all of my souls on the shop as often as I can? Because when I died I lost 2,000 souls, which sucked.

you better grow some balls soon son, cuz when you will lose 50000+ souls one of these days...oh that will hurt :lol

patsu said:
Wear the Thief Ring.

4-1 is a good place to level up quickly and build weapons.

I still haven't found the thief ring. Someone mentioned it being in 1-1 near that guy I rescued but can't find it.

roxya

DualShadow said:
I still haven't found the thief ring. Someone mentioned it being in 1-1 near that guy I rescued but can't find it.

When you first met him, he was on top of a platform that you had to jump down to get to. It should be on there. Go and get it, because it is the single most useful piece of equipment in the game. :)

roxya said:
When you first met him, he was on top of a platform that you had to jump down to get to. It should be on there. Go and get it, because it is the single most useful piece of equipment in the game. :)

So it's on the platform where he was?

I might need to google it and find out where to jump down from.

What does the thief ring do exactly :lol

Neki

Okay guys, just bought Demon Souls for 20 dollars, anything I need to know before I get started with this game?

oracrest

DualShadow said:

If you go back to where he was, and just take a look at the architecture, it's not too hard to get to above his platform, and figure out how to drop down.

The Thief Ring makes you harder to see with enemies. That means that they will be oblivious to you when you are closer. It is rather helpful in general, but super helpful with the mantas, as they will just fly around and ignore you completely.

And a SUPER special thanks to the mods for bringing this thread back to Gaming.

I think what keeps the thread going is the relationship between new players just getting into it, and having early questions, and the veterans who are happy to help, and are trying focusing on newer and different character builds.

Ultimoo said:
Reassuring to say the very least,, I've played a little bit of DMC3 and I died ALOT in that game, how does the difficulty compare?

Unfortunately I haven't played DMC3, but DS is the hardest game I've played in a long time if not ever. The good news is that most of your deaths will be your own fault so you can learn and adapt next time.

Infinity

Ultimoo said:
Okay guys, just bought Demon Souls for 20 dollars, anything I need to know before I get started with this game?

Have a lot of patience, and get ready for a very rare game-play experience. That is to say, it will humiliate you when you least expect it, but you'll love it every step of the way. The rewards are great, and the combat is stellar. Know upfront though that you can't just rush into it with reckless swordplay and ill-timed attacks.

If you consider yourself a good/great, or even decent gamer, you may feel differently after playing DS. It's a humbling experience, and doesn't apologize at all when you hit rock-bottom.

On the other hand, it's one of the best RPG's out there. I started a new game today, as it's been on my backlog for quite some time, and I'm so glad I did. Made a little progress, lost a lot, which was to be expected, and quit vowing to fight another day.

And, here's a good DS resource site:

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Have fun!

oracrest

DualShadow said:
Unfortunately I haven't played DMC3, but DS is the hardest game I've played in a long time if not ever. The good news is that most of your deaths will be your own fault so you can learn and adapt next time.

So true.

So many games these days are designed to be blown through as fast as possible, but Demon's Souls takes the opposite approach. It's not a big game, but every next step requires patience and caution.

good luck, and post your memorable moments back here!

oracrest said:
So true.

So many games these days are designed to be blown through as fast as possible, but Demon's Souls takes the opposite approach. It's not a big game, but every next step requires patience and caution.

good luck, and post your memorable moments back here!

I noticed this when I died that once you know the layout (and unlocked shortcuts) you can get back to where you died pretty quickly and easily cause you know what awaits. The level's aren't particularity big but it's just that you can't rush through hacking and slashing.

patsu

DualShadow said:

Makes it harder for the monsters to detect you. The flying ones will usually leave you alone.

Quick question: Now that the server is on pure white world tendency, I want to obtain the special armor set in world 1-1, but at the same time do not want to kill a unique NPC in the same area. If I run past said NPC, the AI won't cause him to suicide as I run down narrow walkways, right?

Edit: NM, found the answer on gamefaqs. I can kill the NPC, they'll return in black phantom form later.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I finally got around to making a Sticky Compound Longbow +5. And DAMN do I feel stupid for sticking with the Lava Bow for so long. :lol SCLB is AWESOME.

(SL101, by the way. Used the Lava Bow pretty much exclusively for 1 1/2 playthroughs.)

Seraphis Cain said:
So I finally got around to making a Sticky Compound Longbow +5. And DAMN do I feel stupid for sticking with the Lava Bow for so long. :lol SCLB is AWESOME.

(SL101, by the way. Used the Lava Bow pretty much exclusively for 1 1/2 playthroughs.)
it is quite awesome. Getting those last few chunks was annoying. Busting out some Hyper Mode white arrows is satisfying.

Urban Scholar said:
Odd, its pure white now but the gate in 1-1 is not open to me. Is there something I haven't done? My progress so far is that I'm playing in 4-2.
you might be one below pure white. Pure white is really bright.

Akia

I started this game last night. HOLY CRAP at the tutorial boss. I dodged the first hit but then didn't get to his backside fast enough. Also the first palace is insane, I can't make it past the spear dudes after the firebomb guys. Also I must've been dreaming but I swear on the first time through a boulder came down a ramp and smashed me. It never happened again though. I'm deleteting my character and starting again. I picked a Knight class and I think I want to try something else. Also I need to fight the tutorial boss again. I had to play in offline mode for some reason.

Zzoram

Akia said:
I started this game last night. HOLY CRAY at the tutorial boss. I dodged the first hit but then didn't get to his backside fast enough. Also the first palace is insane, I can't make it past the spear dudes after the firebomb guys. Also I must've been dreaming but I swear on the first time through a boulder came down a ramp and smashed me. It never happened again though. I'm deleteting my character and starting again. I picked a Knight class and I think I want to try something else. Also I need to fight the tutorial boss again. I had to play in offline mode for some reason.
Ya the boulder was a trap. Some traps once triggered wont activate again like boulders.

oracrest

Zzoram said:
Will tendency from this event stay in offline mode?

If you have white tendency in your game, and then you log into your character without being connected, it should remain white. It would be whatever it was last time you saved.

oracrest

dragonsouls.gif

Foffy

Banned
Hey, is it just my shittyness or do the optional Pure Black phantoms have some pretty high defense?

Using the Moonlight Sword on them I do maybe 30 damage on them...which is nothing :lol

Foffy

Banned
Anywhere you want. After you beat the Phalnax, you should go to the Nexus and explore upstairs and talk to the Monumental, which then allows you to level up.

You can tackle any of the opened areas after that in any order you want, as none of them are intentionally more difficult than another, other than later sections increasing base stats for all of the enemies there. I suggest clearing them in a clockwise order starting from the area where you fought Phalnax in, as Boletarian Palace and Stonefang Mine are pretty easy and straightforward enough to let you get a footing in the game.

Also, if you're playing in Offline Mode, try to enter the stages in Soul Form and NOT Body Form, so that when you die it's not a penalty to access the areas with Pure White World Tendency in effect, as dying in Body From makes the World Tendency go downwards, to Black. Certain quests, characters, and items can only be accessed in such conditions. The same applies for Pure Dark World Tendency, but the options to enable that are unlimited white Pure White isn't.

Zoe

Foffy said:
Also, if you're playing in Offline Mode, try to enter the stages in Soul Form and NOT Body Form, so that when you die it's not a penalty to access the areas with Pure White World Tendency in effect, as dying in Body From makes the World Tendency go downwards, to Black. Certain quests, characters, and items can only be accessed in such conditions. The same applies for Pure Dark World Tendency, but the options to enable that are unlimited white Pure White isn't.

Is this why I've seen talk of suicide in the Nexus?

Zoe said:
yeah kill yourself in the nexus to keep your worlds on the track to whiteness. 2 boss kills and no body deaths in a world should net you Pure white. Kill all of the bosses do the pure white stuff then suicide 6 times to Pure black. Kill both special enemies to get back to neutral or +1.

Foffy said:
Hey, is it just my shittyness or do the optional Pure Black phantoms have some pretty high defense?

Using the Moonlight Sword on them I do maybe 30 damage on them...which is nothing :lol
they're not supposed to be easy. bp satsuki is a mother.

Zoe said:
this information is out there but its not explicitly explained, so I'll try and help:

some basics as to world tendency and how to change it (or not):

1. think of world tendency as a scale that goes from -100% to +100%. pure black tendency is -100%, and pure white is +100%. starting your first playthrough during normal server conditions (as in, no world tendency events) or offline, all worlds will be set to neutral (0%).

2. dying in the nexus in soul or body form will not change world tendency. ever. this is useful for when you defeat a boss and are auto-resurrected to body form but don't want to risk dying in another world. simply return to the nexus, kill yourself, retrieve your souls, and go about your business.

3. dying in body form in any world will move that world's tendency to black by approximately 30%. this means you would need to die in body form 7 times to go from a pure white to a pure black tendency.

4. in order for a tendency change to occur you must return to the nexus first. if you go and take 7 stones of ephemeral eyes and die 7 times without first returning to the nexus each time, your world tendency will only drop 30%. the process would be to do this: enter the world in body form or use an ephemeral eye stone in the world to return to body form. kill yourself. return to the nexus in soul form (WT goes down 30%), and then repeat the process. note: this may not be the actual case (returning every time), but for my experience i like to be absolutely sure.

5. if a world tendency event is taking place, like it is right now: you may have to load your game several times over for it to take full effect. your world tendencies will not automatically go to pure white or pure black. you must load your game. check the world tendencies, quit the game (not to XMB, just return to title screen), and reload. it may take up to 5 reloads to fully reach pure black or pure white.

6. if you want to retain maximum control over your world tendencies, play offline as only your actions will influence it. playing online will affect world tendency according to the average tendency of all online players. there is supposedly also a glitch that will occasionally reset a PBWT to neutral or white tendency when playing online.

7. if you have reached pure black and are going to kill the primeval demon (who spawns at -75%) and the black phantom (who spawns at -100% or PBWT) you must kill them both before returning to the nexus. killing one and returning to the nexus will cause your tendency to shift toward white and thus de-spawn whichever one you did not kill. you may die between killing them, but you cannot return to the nexus. this can become especially tricky as primeval demons and black phantom spawns are frequently not in the same sub-world area. for instance the primeval demon for world 2 is in 2-1 and the black phantom scrivir is in 2-2. its probably best to have most of the world cleared before you attempt this, as sometimes it is advantageous to spawn at a forward archstone and then run through the world backwards.

8. world tendency lasts between cycles of the game. whatever your WT is at when you beat the game, it will remain so at the beginning of your NG+(+++++). keep this in mind if you have a world set to PBWT when you've completed a cycle.

Rabbitwork said:
they're not supposed to be easy. bp satsuki is a mother.

this information is out there but its not explicitly explained, so I'll try and help:

some basics as to world tendency and how to change it (or not):

1. think of world tendency as a scale that goes from -100% to +100%. pure black tendency is -100%, and pure white is +100%. starting your first playthrough during normal server conditions (as in, no world tendency events) or offline, all worlds will be set to neutral (0%).

2. dying in the nexus in soul or body form will not change world tendency. ever. this is useful for when you defeat a boss and are auto-resurrected to body form but don't want to risk dying in another world. simply return to the nexus, kill yourself, retrieve your souls, and go about your business.

3. dying in body form in any world will move that world's tendency to black by approximately 30%. this means you would need to die in body form 7 times to go from a pure white to a pure black tendency.

4. in order for a tendency change to occur you must return to the nexus first. if you go and take 7 stones of ephemeral eyes and die 7 times without first returning to the nexus each time, your world tendency will only drop 30%. the process would be to do this: enter the world in body form or use an ephemeral eye stone in the world to return to body form. kill yourself. return to the nexus in soul form (WT goes down 30%), and then repeat the process.

5. if a world tendency event is taking place, like it is right now: you may have to load your game several times over for it to take full effect. your world tendencies will not automatically go to pure white or pure black. you must load your game. check the world tendencies, quit the game (not to XMB, just return to title screen), and reload. it may take up to 5 reloads to fully reach pure black or pure white.

6. if you want to retain maximum control over your world tendencies, play offline as only your actions will influence it. playing online will affect world tendency according to the average tendency of all online players. there is supposedly also a glitch that will occasionally reset a PBWT to neutral or white tendency when playing online.

7. if you have reached pure black and are going to kill the primeval demon (who spawns at -75%) and the black phantom (who spawns at -100% or PBWT) you must kill them both before returning to the nexus. killing one and returning to the nexus will cause your tendency to shift toward white and thus de-spawn whichever one you did not kill. you may die between killing them, but you cannot return to the nexus. this can become especially tricky as primeval demons and black phantom spawns are frequently not in the same sub-world area. for instance the primeval demon for world 2 is in 2-1 and the black phantom scrivir is in 2-2. its probably best to have most of the world cleared before you attempt this, as sometimes it is advantageous to spawn at a forward archstone and then run through the world backwards.

8. world tendency lasts between cycles of the game. whatever your WT is at when you beat the game, it will remain so at the beginning of your NG+(+++++). keep this in mind if you have a world set to PBWT when you've completed a cycle.

I am pretty sure number 4 is off. Each suicide will count, it just wont count until you exit to the nexus.

Krauser Kat said:
I am pretty sure number 4 is off. Each suicide will count, it just wont count until you exit to the nexus.
before i attempted specifically manipulating my WT, i remember reading that is how you needed to go about it. i did not explicitly test it myself (this was before i realized it wasn't too hard to amass a great deal of the stones) but i do remember having to die an additional time when trying to get at least one world to PBWT because i had forgotten to return to the nexus after dying previously. i will make a note.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Isn't there some massive penalty for suiciding in the nexus? Something to do with difficulty in NG+?

I've avoided doing it because I heard that, and it's made made manipulating world tendency very difficult/frustrating.

roxya

recklessmind said:
Isn't there some massive penalty for suiciding in the nexus? Something to do with difficulty in NG+?

I've avoided doing it because I heard that, and it's made made manipulating world tendency very difficult/frustrating.

Absolutely no penalty for doing it.

recklessmind said:

no. see my above post. suiciding in the nexus changes nothing about character or world tendency. i assume this is the case because otherwise WT manipulation would be even more tricky.

roxya

Jarlaxle said:
The world tendency stuff is the only part of the game I could've done without. I hope they change in in the follow-up.

Thing is, it's all optional. You don't need to worry about it, and the rest of us are thankful for the extra mechanics.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
roxya said:
Absolutely no penalty for doing it.

Well the regulars here must have some kind of inside joke going then... cause this is the place I read you get penalized for doing it. Iirc something about NG+ being much harder.

Damn, that's good to know. Makes tendency waaaaaay less difficult. :lol

recklessmind said:
Well the regulars here must have some kind of inside joke going then... cause this is the place I read you get penalized for doing it. Iirc something about NG+ being much harder.

Damn, that's good to know. Makes tendency waaaaaay less difficult. :lol
NG+ is harder, but it has nothing to do with suiciding in the nexus or world tendency. a PWWT world in NG+ will still be harder than it was in the first playthrough. the game gets moderately harder with every successive cycle.

Rabbitwork said:

Does one have to be in the nexus for this?

Top Bottom