• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest

Zoe said:
Aw man, I lost most of the Brushwood armor set cause it was too heavy to carry >_<

I'm assuming I'll come across better armor though...

I enjoyed the Brushwood armor set. Eventually I was able to roll fast with it in NG+

Like has been said, there is another way to get that set.

Chris R

Just got this in the mail today. Did alright for the first time playing I think. Went left on the first stage and got slaughtered by red dudes a few times (was trying to get back the souls/whatever I lost by dying there) but then decided to continue on straight ahead. Made it really far until I kinda just walked right into a trap, getting blown up :lol

My bloodstain will be there tomorrow right? Or did I lose the whole bunch when I died there, returned to the Nexus and shut my PS3 off?

Also, I went royal after the recommendation I read somewhere earlier that said it was probably the easiest class to start with.

rhfb said:
Just got this in the mail today. Did alright for the first time playing I think. Went left on the first stage and got slaughtered by red dudes a few times (was trying to get back the souls/whatever I lost by dying there) but then decided to continue on straight ahead. Made it really far until I kinda just walked right into a trap, getting blown up :lol

My bloodstain will be there tomorrow right? Or did I lose the whole bunch when I died there, returned to the Nexus and shut my PS3 off?

Also, I went royal after the recommendation I read somewhere earlier that said it was probably the easiest class to start with.

Your bloodstain stays where it was spilled as long as you don't die again in which case it will overwritten by the new bloodstain. Game autosaves.

Royal is probably the easiest class to start with. Don't forget that you can make it whatever you want to be by levelling up. I made a magic oriented character on my first playthrough (starting as a royal), and then a melee oriented one (which is a bit more challenging but way more fun). Temple knight is a good start for a melee character.

1stStrike

Banned
I have a friend on PSN I met in-game when I was in korea (I have the asian version) and he plays nothing but Demon's Souls. Like, I was playing this back in april and he was playing it then, and a bad ass at it (I couldn't beat him in any dual). I've since moved on (I have two lvl 120 characters) and every time he logs in to PSN... straight to Demon's Souls :lol

Chris R

How exactly do you level up? Or is that something that only happens after you finish a stage/world? I talked to the three dudes in the nexus and ran around but didn't see anything there or in the menus (also, is it possible to pause at all??? I almost died when I ran to answer my cell phone :lol )

1stStrike

Banned
rhfb said:
How exactly do you level up? Or is that something that only happens after you finish a stage/world? I talked to the three dudes in the nexus and ran around but didn't see anything there or in the menus (also, is it possible to pause at all??? I almost died when I ran to answer my cell phone :lol )

Talk to the chick the revives you in the beginning. You give her your souls and can level up your stats and such.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
rhfb said:

You level up by talking to the Maiden in Black and spending your souls to gain stat points.

And no, you can't pause at all.

Noogy

Note that you won't be able to level-up until you defeat the phalanx (1-1 boss). This also applies to NG+.

I just finished my second playthrough and had a much rougher time with the last boss. The result was me starting NG++ with nearly a million souls in tow. Needless to say, I played 1-1 more carefully than I ever had.

If I have any advice... make sure your controller is fully charged whenever playing. Mine died once while I was running through a plague swamp, and I couldn't find the usb cable fast enough.

Bankoiia

Which bow should I get if I mainly put points in the magic stat? I have heard people praising Quality Compound Long Bow, but maybe I should start hunting down the spiderstones needed for a Sticky after all? What of the Lava Bow? The wiki isn't helping me at all with this. :lol

Noogy

I recently upgraded to the Lava bow and love it (I'm a strong magic user). Be mindful that you need a very specific compound bow to upgrade to lava bow.

Sticky is better when you have a high dexterity, although I personally don't invest a lot into dexterity.

Bankoiia

Noogy said:
I recently upgraded to the Lava bow and love it (I'm a strong magic user). Be mindful that you need a very specific compound bow to upgrade to lava bow.

Sticky is better when you have a high dexterity, although I personally don't invest a lot into dexterity.
Really? What makes it different?

OnPoint

Just got this as a Christmas present yesterday. Didn't get too far, had stuff to do, but it was super awesome for the first bit I played. I'm glad to have joined the fold.

Noogy said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. You can use a short bow, long bow, short compound bow or long compound bow upgraded to +7 with hardstone to make the lava bow.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I'm in such a weird position. I have 5 Colorless Demon's Souls laying around in storage, enough to fully upgrade something, and I don't use ANY of the stuff that you can use CDS to upgrade. :lol

Also, bit of a longshot here, but does anyone have 9 Chunks of Hardstone they'd be willing to part with? Trade or give outright, I'm good with either. That's all I need to get my Purple Flame Shield to +10 (and get the Hardstone trophy, at that), but I've exhausted all the Crystal Geckos in World 1 and 2-2. =/

EDIT: Might be a good idea to mention that I'm SL111.

Bankoiia

First time I got invaded I prepared for full-on battle, but the phantom never showed. So I started wandering around looking for him, only to have a message pop up 15 minuets later saying he left the session. What a letdown. :lol

I want to get back into this game, but I'd like a bit of advice. I have an 18 hour save file with 1-2 and the first level of each world completed. I'm going to play for an hour or so to get used to the game again, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks there is a specific level that would be good to start back in with.

Edit: I have the Steel Shield+2 and the Winged Spear +5 and Crescent Falchion +1. All Leather Armor. Soul Level: 36.

Seraphis Cain said:
Man, I'm in such a weird position. I have 5 Colorless Demon's Souls laying around in storage, enough to fully upgrade something, and I don't use ANY of the stuff that you can use CDS to upgrade. :lol

Also, bit of a longshot here, but does anyone have 9 Chunks of Hardstone they'd be willing to part with? Trade or give outright, I'm good with either. That's all I need to get my Purple Flame Shield to +10 (and get the Hardstone trophy, at that), but I've exhausted all the Crystal Geckos in World 1 and 2-2. =/

NA version? I only have 6 hardstone chunks but we could dupe a couple of times so you can get as many as you need. Do you have any mercurystone or cloudstone chunks? I need 6 of each to fully upgrade my mercury rapier and dark heater shield.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
electroshockwave said:
NA version? I only have 6 hardstone chunks but we could dupe a couple of times so you can get as many as you need. Do you have any mercurystone or cloudstone chunks? I need 6 of each to fully upgrade my mercury rapier and dark heater shield.

I JUST used up the last of my Cloudstone chunks to get my Dark Heater Shield +5. :lol Mercurystone...not sure what I have there, but I don't have my trophy for it yet, I know that much. I'm actually quite certain that I don't have more than maybe 2 Chunks of Mercurystone, if that.

Plus, I'd really rather avoid duping if at all possible. Just kinda feels like cheating to me, y'know? Just a personal preference.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just got this and quickly played some of it, managed to beat the first boss and get revived on my first go so wooo. I read that they had a white world tendency and saw stuff like the dragons weren't supposed to be there, but they were for me. I also didn't see any blood puddles or messages from other people, so I feel like I screwed something up.

Oh, and yeah, I'm online. Unless I need to activate something, I did see a glimpse of some other player in the tutorial but nothing past that.

Papercuts said:
I just got this and quickly played some of it, managed to beat the first boss and get revived on my first go so wooo. I read that they had a white world tendency and saw stuff like the dragons weren't supposed to be there, but they were for me. I also didn't see any blood puddles or messages from other people, so I feel like I screwed something up.

Oh, and yeah, I'm online. Unless I need to activate something, I did see a glimpse of some other player in the tutorial but nothing past that.

Sometimes you might lose connection to the servers. You can quickly check by pressing the select button to see if you can write or recommend messages. If the menu doesn't come up you've lost connection and you can quit to the title menu and load again to reconnect. You can also check that you've got white tendency by going to world tendency in the start button menu. The archstone on the left shows what white world tendency looks like:
kmfg7.png

oracrest

Bankoiia said:
First time I got invaded I prepared for full-on battle, but the phantom never showed. So I started wandering around looking for him, only to have a message pop up 15 minuets later saying he left the session. What a letdown. :lol

I got summoned by the Monk once, and the other guy never died, or showed up to the room after like 20 minutes.

:/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
electroshockwave said:
Sometimes you might lose connection to the servers. You can quickly check by pressing the select button to see if you can write or recommend messages. If the menu doesn't come up you've lost connection and you can quit to the title menu and load again to reconnect. You can also check that you've got white tendency by going to world tendency in the start button menu. The archstone on the left shows what white world tendency looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/kmfg7.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks. I tried to write a message and it didn't work, so that's good to know.

MercuryLS

Banned
I usually hate RPG's and dungeon crawlers, but this game is absolutely fantastic. I wish I bought this a year ago...why the hell did I wait so long?

I love the challenge, it's hard but fair and if you die it's because you fucked up. They give you all the tools to win, you just have to use them right. When you win a tough battle the sense of accomplishment is amazing. Haven't felt that in a long time with modern games.

theta11

Seraphis Cain said:

I'll help you with those when I get home, I should have some left over from getting platinum.

nilbog21

Banned
man i've been on that level, i think its 5-2 (u have to walk over a ledge on a cliff to get into a cave where theres dudes that just beam ur ass and kill u in 1 hit if ur not shielding. JESUS will i ever get past this level..

Do u have to kill the boss on this level in order to complete the level? I can barely get to the boss, let alone kill him..

nilbog21 said:
man i've been on that level, i think its 5-2 (u have to walk over a ledge on a cliff to get into a cave where theres dudes that just beam ur ass and kill u in 1 hit if ur not shielding. JESUS will i ever get past this level..

Do u have to kill the boss on this level in order to complete the level? I can barely get to the boss, let alone kill him..

You have to kill the demon in every level to complete it. It sounds like you're talking about 4-2, Shrine of Storms. The guys beaming you sound like shadowlurkers. Are they tall and shoot the beam of magic in a wide arc? If so, they're being summoned by a reaper and they'll keep spawning until you kill it. The first reaper in the level is by the altar at the opposite side of where you enter the large room with shadowlurkers. Reapers are weak to fire so you could use a lava bow to kill him from afar or get up close and use fire magic, a dragonstone upgraded sword or turpentine. You also probably need a dark upgraded shield or the rune shield (found in 3-2) to more effectively block the magic attacks but it's probably best to dodge the attacks where possible.

KdoubleA

Just beat King Allant. That motherfucker was kinda tough and his soul draining made me rage!! It felt like I was playing Ninja Gaiden fighting him. Anyway, I am in love with this game! Btw, I need 1 Pure Darkmoonstone to fully upgrade my Crescent Falchion. I know you get them from the crystal lizards in world 4, but those guys stopped appearing (killed them a bunch of times before). Do they randomly reappear or do I need to do something? Thanks!

oracrest

KdoubleA said:
Just beat King Allant. That motherfucker was kinda tough and his soul draining made me rage!! It felt like I was playing Ninja Gaiden fighting him. Anyway, I am in love with this game! Btw, I need 1 Pure Darkmoonstone to fully upgrade my Crescent Falchion. I know you get them from the crystal lizards in world 4, but those guys stopped appearing (killed them a bunch of times before). Do they randomly reappear or do I need to do something? Thanks!

There is a limited number of times the crystal lizards appear during each playthrough. With NG+ it resets again.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jett said:
lolololol at the 4-1 boss. Turned out to be quite a little bitch. Arrows+dodge ftw.

He might be the easiest one in the game. The first time I did that level, I did a couple times by trying to move around on the upper level and cast soul arrow at him, but once I realized I could just jab at his gross wound then circle around him, it was a breeze. I don't think he's even touched me once sense then, it's more difficult to kill the gold and black skeletons on that level.

prodystopian said:
I want to get back into this game, but I'd like a bit of advice. I have an 18 hour save file with 1-2 and the first level of each world completed. I'm going to play for an hour or so to get used to the game again, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks there is a specific level that would be good to start back in with.

Edit: I have the Steel Shield+2 and the Winged Spear +5 and Crescent Falchion +1. All Leather Armor. Soul Level: 36.

I've tried 5-2 and 4-2 and I keep getting killed by the red guy with the cleaver and the two gold skeletons, respectively. Should I be grinding souls here or is there another level I should go after? I'm a bit stuck for ideas. Trying to pick up in the middle of the game is tough.

ZeroRay

prodystopian said:
I've tried 5-2 and 4-2 and I keep getting killed by the red guy with the cleaver and the two gold skeletons, respectively. Should I be grinding souls here or is there another level I should go after? I'm a bit stuck for ideas. Trying to pick up in the middle of the game is tough.

3-2 or 2-2 might be your best bet. The levels themselves are easier but the end bosses are some of the hardest in the game. 2 of the top 3 in terms of difficulty in fact.

You can also try summoning people for help on any of those levels. Good luck finding someone in 5-2, though. No one likes to touch that place. :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
4-2 is brutal, and 5-2 can be a pain but both are just tough levels in general, they can be tackled with some skill and dedication, a high level isn't a necessity.

Both the Giant Trolls in 5-2 and the Gold Skelies in 4-2 are extremely tough enemies, I usually just cheese them by equipping the thieves ring, moving in for a quick ranged attack (like fireball or a heavy arrow) then running back out of their range. This way you can chip away at their health without having to face them head on. Although sometimes it doesn't work on the Giant Trolls, they keep charging me and I panic...it's never pretty.

Some of the Giant Trolls in 5-2 can be avoided by using the thieves ring and moving off the path and into the swamp since they can't see you if you keep a good distance. Think of it as a stealth level. Just be sure to have plenty of poison resistance and lotuses if you do that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
A friend of mine gave this to me for Christmas and I'm a little nervous to start it. I don't mind a good challenge but I've heard that it's extremely punishing. It also doesn't help that I'm playing Enslaved right now, which is brain dead easy. :lol I've read a few tips for beginners so it doesn't seem as daunting any more. I'm definitely going to give it a fair shot and will chronicle my time with it here.

1stStrike

Banned
RoboPlato said:
A friend of mine gave this to me for Christmas and I'm a little nervous to start it. I don't mind a good challenge but I've heard that it's extremely punishing. It also doesn't help that I'm playing Enslaved right now, which is brain dead easy. :lol I've read a few tips for beginners so it doesn't seem as daunting any more. I'm definitely going to give it a fair shot and will chronicle my time with it here.

One thing that cracks me up about Demon's Souls is that so many people play the first level and go "ARG! THIS GAME IS SO HARD!" and then they finish the game, come back to 1-1 and realize how ridiculously easy it is compared to the rest of the game :lol

MercuryLS

Banned
RoboPlato said:

Honestly the difficulty of this game is overrated. This game is challenging, not cheap. If you die, it's because you fucked up...not because you don't have a high enough level or some other stats bullshit.

I thought it'd be annoying having to start at the beginning of a level when you die, but there are so many shortcuts that open up over time that it doesn't take very long to get to where you last died.

I really recommend taking a look for a FAQ for tips for Demon's Souls beginners. It really helped me out when I started and explained a lot of things that the game doesn't talk about.

It's easily one of the best games of all time and this is coming from someone who absolutely hates these types of games. It's just that good.

1stStrike said:
One thing that cracks me up about Demon's Souls is that so many people play the first level and go "ARG! THIS GAME IS SO HARD!" and then they finish the game, come back to 1-1 and realize how ridiculously easy it is compared to the rest of the game :lol

It's the learning curve, once you've beaten the game you come back to 1-1 with a new character and it's a breeze. I've started about a million characters and I hardly if ever die in 1-1 anymore.

It's also funny to just sprint through a level slashing everything in your path since I remember the days of me just crawling through areas with my shield always up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jett said:
Breezed through 4-2, defeated boss in one try. Feels good, man.

Did you take him head on or did you snipe him from the other side of the altar thing by the entrance? 4-2 always kicks my ass, but Old Hero is a pansy.

jett

D-Member
Snuggler said:
Did you take him head on or did you snipe him from the other side of the altar thing by the entrance? 4-2 always kicks my ass, but Old Hero is a pansy.

Head-on, like a bawse. I now have like 60k in souls. Dunno what to spend that on.

Top Bottom