• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

jett

D-Member
Huh I guess that was the end of level 4. Pretty neat, I think this has been the easiest time I've had with the game yet. :p I guess world tendency being pure white got something to do with it.

Took out Flamelurker. He wasn't too bad with the Crescent Falchion and Purple Flame Shield. Now I'm wondering if Dragon God is possible in Soul form. I did get the first 'attack' on him and took off half his HP, but I have no idea if the rest is that easy. He took me out when I was trying to break something.

Does the flame shield work against his flame?

prodystopian said:
Never tried it myself, but it should work. You'll just lose all your endurance and still take 10% damage from his flame attack. Just beware, it might kill you.
I know for sure you can block the red dragon and blue dragon's flame.

Can't believe I died to the first golden skeleton in 4-1. I was trying to dodge backwards, but a phantom I was summoning block me. I ate a whole lot of hits and died. =/

prodystopian said:
Took out Flamelurker. He wasn't too bad with the Crescent Falchion and Purple Flame Shield. Now I'm wondering if Dragon God is possible in Soul form. I did get the first 'attack' on him and took off half his HP, but I have no idea if the rest is that easy. He took me out when I was trying to break something.

use the pillars and watch his eyes (red = bad) to hide from him. you can complete the entire fight without ever getting near him.

jett

D-Member
Flamelurker has gone down. Flame resistance ring = I lol'd! 1-2 is still the hardest thing I've faced in this game, I guess what's really difficult is the retardedly high learning curve.

Vard

1-4 is ridiculous. I get to the part where the dragon's up on a castle wall and there are a ton of stairs to climb. Tried to run underneath its flame and almost made it to safety but he burned me right near the end. :/

Took down 5 bosses this weekend after not really playing the game in about a year, so I feel quite accomplished! I will beat this game... some day.

Noogy

Vard said:
1-4 is ridiculous. I get to the part where the dragon's up on a castle wall and there are a ton of stairs to climb. Tried to run underneath its flame and almost made it to safety but he burned me right near the end. :/

Took down 5 bosses this weekend after not really playing the game in about a year, so I feel quite accomplished! I will beat this game... some day.
Hehe, I was in the exact same situation a couple months ago... burned through the rest of the game after a yearlong hiatus. Almost done with my 3rd playthrough.

I strongly recommend you kill that dragon up on his perch, before moving forward. It's pretty easy, really.

jett

D-Member
Vard said:

I managed to get by the dragon with a purple flame shield and a flame resistance ring. Don't run, walk with your shield up. It was all for nothing because I got destroyed by the 1-4 boss anyway. :p

Vard said:

I'm in the same boat. Took some time off now I'm trying to get through.

I just took out Old Hero. I really liked him even if he was a little easy. I still felt worried getting close to him.

Edit: Ran by Miralda and she died from a fall. I kind of wanted to fight her...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
jett said:
Goddamn Maneater fight. Fell to my death when I was right near the proper end of the fight.
love to hate them <3

jett

D-Member
Excellent, now one of the (near death)maneaters glitched out and disappeared. Awesome programming skills there From.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
jett said:
Excellent, now one of the (near death)maneaters glitched out and disappeared. Awesome programming skills there From.
Stop forcing the game to glitch out then.

A.R.K

jett said:
Goddamn Maneater fight. Fell to my death when I was right near the proper end of the fight.

one word: FIRESTORM

if you have that...burns that mofo in one or two hit. I finally defeated those two bastards after like failing for 20 or so times. The problem is the environment works against you. Mostly I would fall to my death avoiding them.

dralla

A.R.K said:
one word: FIRESTORM

if you have that...burns that mofo in one or two hit. I finally defeated those two bastards after like failing for 20 or so times. The problem is the environment works against you. Mostly I would fall to my death avoiding them.
I have a magic character, on NG++, and I have a glitch where Firestorm doesn't do any damage to him. I can hear him scream like it is hitting him, and it clearly is, but no damage is done. and since this is my magic character, my melee and defense aren't the greatest.

alr1ghtstart said:
Is there a way to aim (not auto-lock on) with the bow or magic? Fire guy in 3-1 is irritating me.
equip bow, press L1(?), to go into an aiming mode.

5-2 down! Killed the boss on my first try.

Edit: I have 3-2, 3-3, 5-3, 1-3 and 1-4 left. I saw some discussion about not saving 1-4 for last. Any advice on which one I should leave for last?

I just beat the game.
I was surprised because after Old King Allant I thought I would have to fight the Old One

I'm looking forward to going through again in NG+ but I'm also starting a new game as a Thief. Should be fun.

Edit: I highly recommend the Demon's Souls Wiki. It explains a lot of things about the game that I didn't understand, and helped me understand how much more variety there is in the experience based on world tendency and class type.

jett

D-Member
Man just beat the False King in an epic battle! I was doing it just for the lulz since I got horribly destroyed last time I tried, but this time I remembered I had the Demonbrand from Doran, and I looted the fatty with the Brushwood Armor(I also killed the blue dragon, but not before this guy died). With the Demonbrand + Brushwood, things got a heck of a lot more even, and he didn't even steal a single soul level for me. :D I was still really close to dying a few times. No cheese here, straight up meleeing my way through the entire game. :p

soldat7

jett said:
Man just beat the False King in an epic battle! I was doing it just for the lulz since I got horribly destroyed last time I tried, but this time I remembered I had the Demonbrand from Doran, and I looted the fatty with the Brushwood Armor(I also killed the blue dragon, but not before this guy died). With the Demonbrand + Brushwood, things got a heck of a lot more even, and he didn't even steal a single soul level for me. :D I was still really close to dying a few times. No cheese here, straight up meleeing my way through the entire game. :p

Nice. That battle was tremendously difficult for my Royal; I had to summon help.

Well, I just ordered this game off Amazon. It will arrive in two days. Reading this thread and especially those comics make me fear that I'll be missing out on some important stuff when I start playing, unless I read up on all of it. Is this generally the case?

Does anyone know if you can do the Mephistopheles assassinations after you've killed all the archdemons? I'd like to keep
Yuria
alive until after I've beaten all the levels since I might need to change
what spells I've remembered

soldat7

FromTheFuture said:
Well, I just ordered this game off Amazon. It will arrive in two days. Reading this thread and especially those comics make me fear that I'll be missing out on some important stuff when I start playing, unless I read up on all of it. Is this generally the case?

Just kick back and enjoy. I wouldn't worry too much about missing anything and in fact, you won't see everything there is to see on the first playthrough anyways. Just focus on surviving and do a little research on forging and equipment upgrades (which doesn't even matter for the first several hours.)

jett

D-Member
I just reached the endgame. I stored away a bunch of consumable souls(including boss souls)...plz tell me they will carry over to NG+. ;_;

jett said:
I just reached the endgame. I stored away a bunch of consumable souls(including boss souls)...plz tell me they will carry over to NG+. ;_;

Everything except 2 or 3 key items (like the blue n red stone) does.

jett said:

Yeah, you'll still have everything in your inventory and everything that you've given to stockpile Thomas at the start of NG+.

jett

D-Member
What's the deal with the pantheon records? They are all glitched, right? There's a guy with -1 Phantoms saved. :p

Metalmurphy said:
You take more damage and enemies have more HP.

Oh okay, no new drops or anything? I just did NG+ 1-1, I could notice the HP spike but man I felt pretty gangsta fucking tearing up through all them bitches. The phalanx fight lasted less than a minute. :lol

NeoZylom

Got the game recently! I'm liking it so far. I like how you feel proud of yourself for getting a bit further in the stage.

I beat 1-1 with no death. Then I tried 1-2, but that dragon always kills me, so I went to 2-1 and now I'm stuck to this spider ... lol

Edit 2: Someone told me to use magic against it, but I don't have any beside the 'heal' one you start with ... (That is a miracle iirc)

The game is pretty hard... Specially when you have no more herbs!

I have a question also, if I die and I leave the game, are my soul points gone forever or it will still be there where I died when I left?

Edit: Also, I think my game glitched :( I beat the axe guy in 1-1 (The one that gives you almost 5000 soul points) then went down the ladder and I was 'over burden'... So I left to come back later to get those items but they were gone :( They are gone forever right?

NeoZylom said:
I beat 1-1 with no death. Then I tried 1-2, but that dragon always kills me, so I went to 2-1 and now I'm stuck to this spider ... lol
To get past the dragon, you probably need to unequip some armor (keep the equip weight below 50% for maximum speed) and sprint with the circle button. Also, work on your timing a little bit.

NeoZylom said:
Someone told me to use magic against it, but I don't have any beside the 'heal' one you start with ... (That is a miracle iirc)
Magic and arrows are both effective, but you can beat the spider with melee once you figure out his patterns.

NeoZylom said:
I have a question also, if I die and I leave the game, are my soul points gone forever or it will still be there where I died when I left?
They'll stay until you die again, then the new soul stain replaces the old one. You can return to the nexus or turn off the machine without any worries, though.

NeoZylom said:
Edit: Also, I think my game glitched :( I beat the axe guy in 1-1 (The one that gives you almost 5000 soul points) then went down the ladder and I was 'over burden'... So I left to come back later to get those items but they were gone :( They are gone forever right?
Yes, they're gone. You'll find another Brushwood armor set later on, if you still want one.

way more

Hell yeah! White Souls for all until the New Year. I can finally kill Miranda. Months ago before I knew what White Tendency was I wasted my opportunity.

Now what else to do before the New Year?

jett

D-Member
canova said:
Have you all new players experienced the online aspects of this game? Co-oping and invasions?

Online integration in this game is really quite awesome and impressively transparent. I always get startled every time I get invaded. I've vanquished all black phantoms so far, though. :p

canova said:
Have you all new players experienced the online aspects of this game? Co-oping and invasions?

Been spending too much time in soul form to find out...

What do you usually use in your left hand with Makoto for your dex builds?

jett

D-Member
prodystopian said:
Been spending too much time in soul form to find out...

What do you usually use in your left hand with Makoto for your dex builds?

Adjudicator Shield, or Regeneration Ring. I actually used both for most of my time in the game, it stacks up.

Top Bottom