• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

jett

D-Member
prodystopian said:
So no parrying for you then?

Edit: Wow, Satsuki in White Tendency was easy.

I probably did the parrying thing for about 10 hours, then I ditched that. Unnecessary risk. My weapons are so hard-hitting it doesn't matter anyway.

jett said:
I probably did the parrying thing for about 10 hours, then I ditched that. Unnecessary risk. My weapons are so hard-hitting it doesn't matter anyway.
I don't know if I lasted that long with it. After I got the Steel Shield, the risk was too much and I just went with it.

Just 1-4 and 3-3 left.

Does anyone have any sharpstone shards they want to trade? I need 11 so that I can get it to +6 and make it a crescent uchigatana. I ended up killing the vendor in world 2 because I attacked him while chasing a crystal lizard so I can't buy from him and killing the hoplites in 1-1 and 1-2 is taking too long since most of the time they seem to be dropping hardstone if they drop anything at all.

I have a ton of clearstone that I don't need, a pure moonlightstone and some other stones I could probably get rid of if you're looking for anything in particular. I'm SL 108 and have the Atlus version.

I've been getting into NG+ and it's actually pretty hard. Not nearly as bad as when I first played the game, but the difficulty curve is good enough that I'm still challenged despite my gear and how much more I understand about the game.

I'm kind of unsure what to do about weapons at the moment. I have a pretty nice setup with Doran's armor and the dark silver shield so I don't have a very high equip burden, but I canned using the meat cleaver after realizing how slow it is, and that at my level (85) the stat bonuses aren't good enough to warrant using it.

So I went back to my dragon longsword +4, but I would think at this point I should have a better weapon.

Kilgore Trout said:
I've been getting into NG+ and it's actually pretty hard. Not nearly as bad as when I first played the game, but the difficulty curve is good enough that I'm still challenged despite my gear and how much more I understand about the game.

I'm kind of unsure what to do about weapons at the moment. I have a pretty nice setup with Doran's armor and the dark silver shield so I don't have a very high equip burden, but I canned using the meat cleaver after realizing how slow it is, and that at my level (85) the stat bonuses aren't good enough to warrant using it.

So I went back to my dragon longsword +4, but I would think at this point I should have a better weapon.

What about the Northern Regalia? You need the Demonbrandt (which I assume you have since you've got Doran's armor), the Soulbrandt and the False King's demon soul to forge it. If you have pure white or pure black character tendency the damage doubles and it's very powerful.

electroshockwave said:
Does anyone have any sharpstone shards they want to trade? I need 11 so that I can get it to +6 and make it a crescent uchigatana. I ended up killing the vendor in world 2 because I attacked him while chasing a crystal lizard so I can't buy from him and killing the hoplites in 1-1 and 1-2 is taking too long since most of the time they seem to be dropping hardstone if they drop anything at all.

I have a ton of clearstone that I don't need, a pure moonlightstone and some other stones I could probably get rid of if you're looking for anything in particular. I'm SL 108 and have the Atlus version.
edit: didn't read all of this. I guess farming is the only solution

electroshockwave said:
What about the Northern Regalia? You need the Demonbrandt (which I assume you have since you've got Doran's armor), the Soulbrandt and the False King's demon soul to forge it. If you have pure white or pure black character tendency the damage doubles and it's very powerful.
I can give it a try. I wasn't aware of this before.

Lince

Banned
New Game++ and only 56% trophies completed, I don't want to use a guide or online exploits/glitches but damn...

game of the generation!

edit: ok I checked the white/black character & world tendency events and now I know how to find those missing weapons and rings... holy crap, this game keeps delivering and never ends, game of the forever I say.

jett

D-Member
electroshockwave said:

I'll give you the shardstones for a pure darkmoonstone.

jett

D-Member
electroshockwave said:
I've got a pure darkmoonstone but I'm going to need it for my uchigatana. Is there anything else you want?

I could use 10 large hardstones and 10 hardstones shards. I'd trade you those for the 11 sharpstone shards you need.

jett said:
I could use 10 large hardstones and 10 hardstones shards. I'd trade you those for the 11 sharpstone shards you need.

OK, that sounds fine. What soul level are you? I've levelled up a bit more so if I've worked it out correctly you need to be SL93 at the lowest if you want me to summon you or SL95 if you want to summon me.

jett

D-Member
electroshockwave said:
OK, that sounds fine. What soul level are you? I've levelled up a bit more so if I've worked it out correctly you need to be SL93 at the lowest if you want me to summon you or SL95 if you want to summon me.

Oh I think I'm SL80 or something, I guess a long way from what its required

jett said:
Oh I think I'm SL80 or something, I guess a long way from what its required

Nevermind then. I've only got three more levels to finish before I beat the game so I may as well just wait to get them from the vendor in NG++.

jett

D-Member
I'm trying to get some online action going but seems nobody is playing in NG+...I wish the game hadn't just thrown me into NG+ automatically.

Just got the game a few hours ago, and I'm enjoying it so far. A few quick questions though:

Is it possible to sell weapons/items?
When in physical form, can I not see nor place messages and blood stains?

Also, after I
defeated the Phalanx in the first Boletaria Palace area,
am I not supposed to continue through? I was confused at the lack of messages, and then there was the
giant flying fire breathing thing that swooped down and owned me as I ran past
so I just decided to use the archstone back to Nexus.

Edit. I forgot to ask, how do I save? Does it just save automatically? Is it safe to quit whenever?

Edit 2. And another question: I'm kind of confused on how to get my body back. I keep getting my souls via blood stain, but do I have to kill a boss to get my full health bar back? Nevermind this one.

FromTheFuture said:
Just got the game a few hours ago, and I'm enjoying it so far. A few quick questions though:

Is it possible to sell weapons/items?
When in physical form, can I not see nor place messages and blood stains?

Also, after I
defeated the Phalanx in the first Boletaria Palace area,
am I not supposed to continue through? I was confused at the lack of messages, and then there was the
giant flying fire breathing thing that swooped down and owned me as I ran past
so I just decided to use the archstone back to Nexus.

Edit. I forgot to ask, how do I save? Does it just save automatically? Is it safe to quit whenever?

Edit 2. And another question: I'm kind of confused on how to get my body back. I keep getting my souls via blood stain, but do I have to kill a boss to get my full health bar back? Nevermind this one.

1. Can't sell weapons but you can store them.

2. Sounds like you aren't logged in. Try restarting and making sure you are logged in. Some people have commented that they experience a logout with no warning.

3. It saves automatically. In the upper right should be a small circle that looks like a pebble thrown in a pond. Do not quit when that is on the screen as it could corrupt your save.

4. I would advise you to go back to the nexus when you get your body form so you can spend the souls you have acquired. Also, many people advocate killing yourself in the nexus so you don't have to deal with invaders (people can only invade when you are in body form). Also, dying in body form changes the world tendency, I think toward black when you die in body form.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
so I just beat a level in co-op. Apparently you don't receive the demon's souls after you defeat a boss? I was just asked to rate the player and taken back to where I started out at.

Solo said:
Just finally started playing this tonight.... so far, I kind of fucking hate it.
:lol I was feeling that way for a bit as well, but admittedly getting through the impossibleness is quite rewarding in the end.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Solo said:
Just finally started playing this tonight.... so far, I kind of fucking hate it.
That's absolutely normal. You will definitely hate it for the first two hours or so.

I know I was all "what the hell...why did I spend money on this...ugh!" during those first few hours of the game. Stick with it.

jett said:
I'm trying to get some online action going but seems nobody is playing in NG+...I wish the game hadn't just thrown me into NG+ automatically.

NG+ (and beyond) can play with NG, it all just depends on your level. You might find 80 +/- is a bit of a dead zone for players. I think there's more people around 120 doing PVP, for straight co-op i find best results for the first ~30 levels before it starts to go quiet. your best bet is probably to try and hook up with some gaffers.

also, some worlds seem to be more popular for co-op than others - rarely, so rarely, do I see anybody in world five.

alr1ghtstart said:
so I just beat a level in co-op. Apparently you don't receive the demon's souls after you defeat a boss? I was just asked to rate the player and taken back to where I started out at.

the boss is only killed in the host's game (the living player). you still receive regular souls though, amount depends on the rating the host gives you.

hteng

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:

if you are being summoned, you won't receive the boss's soul because technically, you defeated the summoner's boss in his world, not yours. you still have to defeat the boss in your world.

you do received an amount of souls though

IrishNinja

chubigans said:
That's absolutely normal. You will definitely hate it for the first two hours or so.

I know I was all "what the hell...why did I spend money on this...ugh!" during those first few hours of the game. Stick with it.

:lol i died dozens of times in 1-2, put the game down for a fuckin' year. i now see this as at least 9 months spent playing lesser games.

gdt

Solo said:

Same reaction I had at first.

Granted, I'm not quite in love with it yet, but it's very, very satisfying.

I got stuck on 3-1, and I put it down, but now that I finished New Vegas, just about time to pick this back up again. I'm only 10 hours in, and I've beat 1-1 and 2-1 (there was some farming done on both of those since I've beaten them :lol ).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
hteng said:
if you are being summoned, you won't receive the boss's soul because technically, you defeated the summoner's boss in his world, not yours. you still have to defeat the boss in your world.

you do received an amount of souls though

how do I request a player?

I about flipped my shit today after I spent 2 hours in 2-2. I died at the hands of Flamelurker with very little health left (killed him on my second go). I'm assuming most levels have shortcuts to get to the bosses? The game is amazing, but this lack of any save support doesn't make the game hard, just really fucking irritating.

Is it as important to start as a Royal as I've read? I chose Soldier, and am having a fun time with the game so far. Extremely difficult, but I'm excited to get beter.

alr1ghtstart said:
When you're in body form, you'll see blue signs on the ground. Touch one to summon another player.
Jimmy Stav said:
Is it as important to start as a Royal as I've read? I chose Soldier, and am having a fun time with the game so far. Extremely difficult, but I'm excited to get beter.
Nope, not at all. Keep playing if you're having fun. The Royal starts with a MP regen ring, but you'll find one later on.

Dreavus

Jimmy Stav said:

Royal is just the "easiest", because you start with a nice ranged spell and a ring to regenerate your mana, both things you can get later on in the game. I started as Knight and I'm enjoying the playstyle a lot (this is my first play through as well!).

hteng

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:

I about flipped my shit today after I spent 2 hours in 2-2. I died at the hands of Flamelurker with very little health left (killed him on my second go). I'm assuming most levels have shortcuts to get to the bosses? The game is amazing, but this lack of any save support doesn't make the game hard, just really fucking irritating.

players (blue souls) are summoned randomly, you don't have control over who you want to summon, but you can make the chances higher if you both are within level range and tell your friend to find your summon mark in a specific place.

most levels have shortcuts but you need to activate them, make sure you explore everything before fighting the boss, in 2-2's case, it's impossible to climb your way back up from the same hole you dropped in. you have to go through one of the tunnels that leads to the lava pool, it's a very long road.

don't think there's any shortcut at all for 4-2 to the old hero boss.

Canova

Banned
jett said:

The game matches players based on their soul levels, not based on whether you're on ng or ng+.

If you really want to get into PvP, bring your character to level 100-120 and wait in 4-1. That level is the battleground for PvP

Dreavus said:
Royal is just the "easiest", because you start with a nice ranged spell and a ring to regenerate your mana, both things you can get later on in the game. I started as Knight and I'm enjoying the playstyle a lot (this is my first play through as well!).

Good to know.

I finally got the ability to spend soul points (I have about 6200). Where should I allocate them? I'm playing a soldier.

Jimmy Stav said:
Good to know.

I finally got the ability to spend soul points (I have about 6200). Where should I allocate them? I'm playing a soldier.
If you're a soldier I would think you should focus on vitality, strength and endurance. Regardless of what you decide to do, make sure you stick to a certain build from the beginning. I sort of added soul points to everything and now I realize I wasted soul levels on things like faith and luck that weren't really necessary for my build.

Rawk Hawk

Beat the first boss, back to body form, does this mean at any time I'm playing someone can attack my world?

I am logged in when I play, I see others notes and ghosts roaming around, but would prefer not having someone attack my game until I'm a little better at it. Didn't know if there is something you need to flag PvP (like summon a blue soul, or turn on PvP somewhere), so I don't accidentally do it without wanting to.

Rawk Hawk said:
Beat the first boss, back to body form, does this mean at any time I'm playing someone can attack my world?

I am logged in when I play, I see others notes and ghosts roaming around, but would prefer not having someone attack my game until I'm a little better at it. Didn't know if there is something you need to flag PvP (like summon a blue soul, or turn on PvP somewhere), so I don't accidentally do it without wanting to.

Yes. Unless you are godly at the game, you are going to die with or without a phantom invading when you attempt the next level. You can always just suicide in the nexus after spending the souls you gained from the boss so you don't lose them.

Rawk Hawk said:

Yeah, if you're in body form in a level which you haven't beaten the boss in yet you can be invaded at any time. On the positive side the invading black phantom has to be in soul form so they won't have their full health available while you will. Worlds 1 (Boletarian Palace) and 4 (Shrine of storms) are the most popular for invasions so I'd say you're mostly safe in the other worlds. I've never been invaded in world 2 (Stonefang tunnel), and I think I've only been invaded once or twice in 3 & 5. Also, I found that I didn't really get invaded until my soul level was in the 50s so it's probably something that won't affect you early on.

Alternatively, you can kill yourself in the Nexus and play through in soul form to avoid invasions altogether but I think you might be missing part of the experience if you do that.

Zzoram said:
Is PWWT still on? When does it end?
It's still on but I don't know when it will end, just that it will carry on shortly into 2011.

Rawk Hawk

electroshockwave said:
Yeah, if you're in body form in a level which you haven't beaten the boss in yet you can be invaded at any time. On the positive side the invading black phantom has to be in soul form so they won't have their full health available while you will. Worlds 1 (Boletarian Palace) and 4 (Shrine of storms) are the most popular for invasions so I'd say you're mostly safe in the other worlds. I've never been invaded in world 2 (Stonefang tunnel), and I think I've only been invaded once or twice in 3 & 5. Also, I found that I didn't really get invaded until my soul level was in the 50s so it's probably something that won't affect you early on.

Alternatively, you can kill yourself in the Nexus and play through in soul form to avoid invasions altogether but I think you might be missing part of the experience if you do that.

It's still on but I don't know when it will end, just that it will carry on shortly into 2011.

Oh, so if the boss has been beaten they can't invade either? Oh that's not bad then, I was only worried about going back to 1-1 and farming up some levels only to have someone show up and ruin my day. :lol

Is that the same rule for blue souls? Or can you summon them even in levels after you've beaten the boss?

Kilgore Trout said:
If you're a soldier I would think you should focus on vitality, strength and endurance. Regardless of what you decide to do, make sure you stick to a certain build from the beginning. I sort of added soul points to everything and now I realize I wasted soul levels on things like faith and luck that weren't really necessary for my build.

And should I be spending all of my souls, or is there some reason to save them? What about those soles from unknown soldiers?

jett

D-Member
Jimmy Stav said:
And should I be spending all of my souls, or is there some reason to save them? What about those soles from unknown soldiers?

You should spend your souls as soon as you can, there's no point in hoarding them. Remember, if you die you lose them. And if you die again without getting them back from where you previously died you lose them for good.

You should also use the soldier/hero souls when you're in the Nexus and want to upgrade. Not anywhere else. I'd save the souls from bosses, most of them are needed to forge weapons or learn spells and miracles.

whats the best way to co-op a whole game with someone. I bought my friend the game. Im thinking of starting over with a 1lvl character and just getting souls to level up and level up enough to play with him whatever level he is at.

Jimmy Stav said:
the biggest thing earlier on to save your souls for is buying Evacuate. 20,000 just seemed like so much in the beginning.

jett said:
You should spend your souls as soon as you can, there's no point in hoarding them. Remember, if you die you lose them. And if you die again without getting them back from where you previously died you lose them for good.

You should also use the soldier/hero souls when you're in the Nexus and want to upgrade. Not anywhere else. I'd save the souls from bosses, most of them are needed to forge weapons or learn spells and miracles.

What strategy did you use for the 1-4 boss?

Edit: nm, I was bored earlier and didn't realize I was overlevelled at 100SL. He wasn't too bad to melee.

Karram

I was just going to say that I just got the game and I'm not liking it all but I just read the earlier posts. Going to play more of it later.

Just spent my first batch of Souls and I'm a little concerned I was too sporadic with my allocation (I started as a soldier):

Vit 19
Int 9
End 15
Strength 13
Dex 12
Mag 8
Faith 10
Luck 10

Does this look okay?

EDIT: I'm SL16

Jimmy Stav said:
Just spent my first batch of Souls and I'm a little concerned I was too sporadic with my allocation (I started as a soldier):

Vit 19
Int 9
End 15
Strength 13
Dex 12
Mag 8
Faith 10
Luck 10

Does this look okay?

EDIT: I'm SL16

That really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to be melee? Dex based (movement + bows) or strength based (tank). I'm guessing not magic or faith. Either way, vitality is a good choice and you will likely want a little bit of strength or dex for some weapon requirements.

Top Bottom