• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Cool. Everything seems to be working out for me so far. What about weapon upgrades? Should I keep adding to my Broadsword, or wait for something better? It's currently +1.

Also, this game is fucking incredible. I've only just recently played 2009s best games (both of which are better than anything that has come out this year): this and Arkham Asylum.

EDIT: And I wouldn't mind using a bow at some point. Ranged seems like it'd be useful.

Solo

What do I do with the actual demon's souls? Like, I beat Phalanx - is there any use for his soul?

Also, where is the best place to go after 1-1? I read a FAQ that said 4-1, but the red eyed knight there with 2 swords rips my asshole out.

Solo said:
What do I do with the actual demon's souls? Like, I beat Phalanx - is there any use for his soul?

Also, where is the best place to go after 1-1? I read a FAQ that said 4-1, but the red eyed knight there with 2 swords rips my asshole out.

Give it to Stockpile Thomas AKA don't use it until you figure out what you can do with it. If you want to look it up in the wiki do that. Otherwise, just hold onto any of the demon's souls because most are valuable in a way other than giving souls.

Edit: I think I did 2-1. 1-2 will be difficult, but it is doable.

Solo said:

You can exchange boss souls for advanced magic spells and unique weapons. If you're going to tackle 4-1 you might need a weapon that deals crushing damage. 2-1 and 1-2 are pretty easy. Try one of those.

RyanDG

BTW - For those who have actually already beat the game...

Anyone else share the opinion that the last boss in this game is perfectly handled compared to the nature of the rest of the game? Though a lot of the actual story-telling in Demon's souls is not specifically detailed and is really only ascertained through a lot of item descriptions and stuff, the pitiful nature of the last boss seems to really cap off the message that seems to be coming across the rest of the game. I was at first slightly underwhelmed, but when I let the credits soak in it really just hit me about just how powerful of an ending (and really story) Demon's souls really has despite not being a smash you over the head with a narrative type of game...

Oh god this game. It makes me so anxious to continue on, for fear of losing all my souls. I'm only 5000 away from Evacuate, damn it, and probably near the boss of 2-1.

Foffy

Banned
FromTheFuture said:
Oh god this game. It makes me so anxious to continue on, for fear of losing all my souls. I'm only 5000 away from Evacuate, damn it, and probably near the boss of 2-1.

Losing souls isn't really too bad, as there are grinding spots that open up that make it pretty easy to rack up 5k+ per session. The Shrine of Storms has two good grinding spots. After fully clearing the area and going back to the boss area you can easily rack up 20k souls.

Foffy said:
Losing souls isn't really too bad, as there are grinding spots that open up that make it pretty easy to rack up 5k+ per session. The Shrine of Storms has two good grinding spots. After fully clearing the area and going back to the boss area you can easily rack up 20k souls.
Well this would be my third boss. Not entirely sure of much of anything in the game yet. I just really want Evacuate, and not the pain of losing all my souls. These souls are all I know. ;_;

ZeroRay

FromTheFuture said:
Well this would be my third boss. Not entirely sure of much of anything in the game yet. I just really want Evacuate, and not the pain of losing all my souls. These souls are all I know. ;_;

Don't worry. Soon, 5000 souls will feel like chump change and not even worth the effort to get back. :lol

And yeah, open up 4-2 to get the best grind spot for beginners.

ZeroRay said:
Don't worry. Soon, 5000 souls will feel like chump change and not even worth the effort to get back. :lol

And yeah, open up 4-2 to get the best grind spot for beginners.

I actually found 4-3 better/quicker.

RyanDG said:

Anyone else share the opinion that the last boss in this game is perfectly handled compared to the nature of the rest of the game? Though a lot of the actual story-telling in Demon's souls is not specifically detailed and is really only ascertained through a lot of item descriptions and stuff, the pitiful nature of the last boss seems to really cap off the message that seems to be coming across the rest of the game. I was at first slightly underwhelmed, but when I let the credits soak in it really just hit me about just how powerful of an ending (and really story) Demon's souls really has despite not being a smash you over the head with a narrative type of game...

I actually wasn't a fan. Maybe I missed something, but I was expecting a bit more from the ending.

Draft

DS last boss is awesome. The "real" last boss is his demon at the end of 1-4. I agree with your assessment that DS doesn't have much of a narrative, but it has crazy good atmosphere, and that pathetic creature is a good example.

AlexM

RyanDG said:

One of those rare instances where I found myself seeking out details about the game afterwards to piece the story together. In a way it's really well done.

Draft said:
DS last boss is awesome. The "real" last boss is his demon at the end of 1-4. I agree with your assessment that DS doesn't have much of a narrative, but it has crazy good atmosphere, and that pathetic creature is a good example.

I do agree with all of this.

Worlds 3 and 5 particularly made me feel more anxious than I ever have watching a movie or playing a game. The other levels weren't quite as 'scary', but the atmospheres present in each was so well thought out. Some of the game design choices I don't agree with (and infuriated me while playing), but looking back, I can see that nearly every encounter was set up in a specific way for a purpose. The range of enemies and ways to solve the puzzles they present is absolutely amazing.

I would pay large amounts of money for a real documentary about how this game was made (not the usual tripe included with games).

eosos

Banned
So i just got this game and it's hard as fuck(expected)
I'm playing is a knight because it looked the coolest. I think I went to world 1-1 and I just got my ass handed to me by some dude who charges you with a spear. I was running around him for a while, hitting him while I could, but I barely put a dent in him. Should I try a different world first or what? Oh and I killed a guy in the hub world and he dropped an item(God's Hand??) .

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Ok, I need something answered for me.

I just started playing this after buying it on sale. Spent an hour on my character, alone. The combat is awesome. The visuals are slick. I like this game a lot so far.

But I'm in the first world, or whatever, (after the tutorial) and I made about 20 minutes of progress in it. Then I died. Then it brought me back to the fucking beginning of the stage.

Is this just how this works? Are there checkpoints? If so, are they pretty far away from each other? Is that where all the rage comes from, dying and getting sent back so far? If so, this game can go fuck itself.

RyanDG

Dacvak said:
Is this just how this works? Are there checkpoints? If so, are they pretty far away from each other? Is that where all the rage comes from, dying and getting sent back so far? If so, this game can go fuck itself.

There are shortcuts you open up that will make your journey through the levels a lot easier, but ultimately if you die you go back to your last archstone.

elohel

Dacvak said:

I just started playing this after buying it on sale. Spent an hour on my character, alone. The combat is awesome. The visuals are slick. I like this game a lot so far.

But I'm in the first world, or whatever, (after the tutorial) and I made about 20 minutes of progress in it. Then I died. Then it brought me back to the fucking beginning of the stage.

Once you make it far enough into the level you unlock some kind of shortcut most of the time

Also if you need to save where you are while you go out or en the game for the day you can just quit the game and you'll start right back where you left off(obviously make sure you're away from any phantoms or enemies)

eosos said:
So i just got this game and it's hard as fuck(expected)
I'm playing is a knight because it looked the coolest. I think I went to world 1-1 and I just got my ass handed to me by some dude who charges you with a spear. I was running around him for a while, hitting him while I could, but I barely put a dent in him. Should I try a different world first or what? Oh and I killed a guy in the hub world and he dropped an item(God's Hand??) .

1. You might not want to kill people in the hub world...

2. Did he have red eyes? If so, you aren't supposed to go that way yet. If he had blue eyes, yes you can kill him, but he is tough.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Do you at least keep gaining EXP when you have to restart? (Or whatever? I actually haven't "leveled up" or anything yet)

Also, what's the longest time you've ever spent restarting/trying to beat a single stage? I want to know what I'm in for, because I have a tendency of ragequitting stuff that makes me play the same thing over and over and over again. =/

Dacvak said:
Do you at least keep gaining EXP when you have to restart? (Or whatever? I actually haven't "leveled up" or anything yet)

Also, what's the longest time you've ever spent restarting/trying to beat a single stage? I want to know what I'm in for, because I have a tendency of ragequitting stuff that makes me play the same thing over and over and over again. =/

No.

A couple of hours I think? At the beginning you will feel helpless. By the end, you realize that dying happens and souls can be farmed.

Dacvak

prodystopian said:
No.

A couple of hours I think? At the beginning you will feel helpless. By the end, you realize that dying happens and souls can be farmed.
Wait, so you don't keep the EXP you got before you died? What about items? I thought that if you used them up, they didn't come back when you died and restarted?

Question: So a guy co-oped into my game, but he died. Is he still in my game?

Also, can you only accept co-op at the beginning of a stage? My net died out after the last guy died, and I want a new partner. I'm at the end of the stage, though. Should I go back to the beginning to find another partner?

FromTheFuture said:

Also, can you only accept co-op at the beginning of a stage? My net died out after the last guy died, and I want a new partner. I'm at the end of the stage, though. Should I go back to the beginning to find another partner?
No for the first one. As long as you can drop a blue soul sign, anyone in body form within your level range can summon you, but the most common spots are at the beginning.

zerokoolpsx said:
No for the first one. As long as you can drop a blue soul sign, anyone in body form within your level range can summon you, but the most common spots are at the beginning.
Thanks.

And oh wow :lol The Adjucator was the easiest thing ever.

Pikelet

Dacvak said:

The reason this system works is that while it keeps the tension high, death is a lot less of a detriment than what it feels. Once you know your way through a level you can get back to where you were very quickly, even without shortcuts. You come back with half your health but the Cling ring, which can be easily found early on, will give you 75% of your health instead. Lost exp can easily be regained later on and having a low level is never an insurmountable roadblock; a level one character can defeat the final boss. You keep your items, and more importantly, every death will teach you a lesson.

It is actually an incredibly designed system for difficulty, it seems artificially hard but it really isn't that bad once you learn the mechanics.

Dacvak

Pikelet said:
The reason this system works is that while it keeps the tension high, death is a lot less of a detriment than what it feels. Once you know your way through a level you can get back to where you were very quickly, even without shortcuts. You come back with half your health but the Cling ring, which can be easily found early on, will give you 75% of your health instead. Lost exp can easily be regained later on and having a low level is never an insurmountable roadblock; a level one character can defeat the final boss. You keep your items, and more importantly, every death will teach you a lesson.

It is actually an incredibly designed system for difficulty, it seems artificially hard but it really isn't that bad once you learn the mechanics.
Well, that's enough to keep me playing for now.

Any super awesome advice/tip anyone could give to make this game a lot easier?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Beat 1-1 and 1-2, yay. I have ~10K souls now, and I'm wondering what's a good thing to start with. I've seen some people say to just dump them into stat points, so should I just do that at the start? I also feel really dumb about this but I'm super confused with the menus. How can I tell if I meet the requirements to use a large shield or weapon properly?

Solo

So I've beaten 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1 (2-2 was pretty easy too until the boss one-hit killed me :lol Fuck you, Flamelurker!). Game gets a lot more fun when you aren't getting completely raped at all times (just most of the time).

Anyways, doing 3-1 now and its easily the most creepy level yet. I cannot describe how discomforting it was to walk into a random jail cell and suddenly some forlorn, depressing ass female opera voice starts singing.

Dacvak said:
Well, that's enough to keep me playing for now.

Any super awesome advice/tip anyone could give to make this game a lot easier?

OK. Here goes.

First off, you killed Blacksmith Boldwin. There is no way to get him back. Ever. You will shortly unlock a blacksmith who is better in every way. But he is more of a chore to get to. Since you haven't gotten very far, I recommend you restart and think twice before killing NPC:s again (although there is a certain someone you might want to kill).

Keep track of your item burden. It shows the maximum weight of items you can carry. If you try to pick up an item that will bring you above the maximum, you will drop that item. If you exit the level and return, the item will be gone forever. Solution: once you get the Ring of Herculean Strength (which increases your maximum item burden), always keep it with you. If you try to pick up some items and go over the limit, equip this ring and pray to god that the increase in item burden capacity will be enough.

Find the Cling Ring in 1-1 and use it.

Find the Thief Ring in 1-1 and use it.

In both 4-1 and 2-2 you can find awesome weapons that can carry you all the way through the game, when upgraded.

Once you beat the 1-2 boss and rescue a certain character (in another level), trade the boss soul with that character to get an awesome defensive spell which will make your life a lot easier.

In general, don't consume boss demon souls for souls to level up with. They can be traded for good spells, miracles or weapons.

Always repair your gear when you get back to the Nexus. There is nothing more annoying than your gear breaking in the middle of a hectic moment, causing you to die and lose the souls you would need to repair it, which will be very expensive if you let the deterioration go to far.

Keep your shield up!

Don't give up! Once you get past the initial difficulty there is an awesome game waiting for you.

Zoe

What are the chances the tendency event will go on through the 3rd? Won't get home till the 2nd, and then I won't have the house to myself until the 3rd :(

Tower Knight has gotta be the easiest boss ever :p

You can take him down in like 1min (not exaggerating). Go around him clock wise, wait for an animation, attack left foot, attack right foot, move back, attack head. Done.

BP Satsuki on NG+, now that's a challenge.

IrishNinja

heh.

ok, so im at about the end of my 2nd playthrough (going for the platinum, baby!) and i know ive still got some grinding ahead for my PureFuckingManlyStone and all, but i'm kinda puzzled why i can't get a few other trophies despite having the proper parts, according to this guide:

Moonlighter's Trophy (Bronze)

You must upgrade a weapon to +5 using Moonlightstone. The cheapest weapon for
this is the Shortsword. You will need, in total:

7 Splinters of Hardstone (You must upgrade the Shortsword to +3 to open
the "Moon" option)

20 Splinters of Moonlightstone

7 Chunks of Moonlightstone

1 Pure Moonlightstone

Darkmoon Master's Trophy (Bronze)

You must upgrade a weapon to +5 using Darkmoonstone. The cheapest weapon for
this is the Dagger. You will need, in total:

7 Splinters of Sharpstone (You must upgrade the Dagger to +3 to open the
"Crescent" option)

15 Splinters of Darkmoonstone

6 Chunks of Darkmoonstone

1 Pure Darkmoonstone

...ive got all those bits! but when i go down to the blacksmith in 2-1 with a dagger & shortsword and build them to where the option should open, it simply doesn't. is this a known glitch? should i try bringing those stones with me, despite the fact i didn't have to for all the other ones he's forged/trophies ive got so far?

IrishNinja said:
heh.

ok, so im at about the end of my 2nd playthrough (going for the platinum, baby!) and i know ive still got some grinding ahead for my PureFuckingManlyStone and all, but i'm kinda puzzled why i can't get a few other trophies despite having the proper parts, according to this guide:

...ive got all those bits! but when i go down to the blacksmith in 2-1 with a dagger & shortsword and build them to where the option should open, it simply doesn't. is this a known glitch? should i try bringing those stones with me, despite the fact i didn't have to for all the other ones he's forged/trophies ive got so far?

You need to give him the Red Hot Demon soul.

Which comes from Flamefucker

IrishNinja said:
You need a Dagger +6 to go down the Crescent (Darkmoonstone) path. Same thing applies for the Short Sword. Get it to +6 before going down the Moon path.

Don't trust MyCheats. Stick to the vastly superior Demon's Souls Wiki.

IrishNinja

Metalmurphy - of course i did this! thanks for the thought, though.

archnemesis said:
You need a Dagger +6 to go down the Crescent (Darkmoonstone) path. Same thing applies for the Short Sword. Get it to +6 before going down the Moon path.

Don't trust MyCheats. Stick to the vastly superior Demon's Souls Wiki.

ah, shit! i just have to try harder, heh. thanks man - and believe it or not, i only found that link from demon's souls wiki, when you click on ps3 trophies its one of the links. i assure you; id not leave that fantastic site otherwise. :D

Rawk Hawk

Alright, so turns out I used the first boss soul not knowing what it was. I thought the bosses item would have the bosses name in it, but today I'm finding that I spent it to get souls and level up my character.

How bad did I screw myself over? I'm still fairly unsure what they are used for, just know I'm suppose to save them.

Edit: Just realized I didn't save
Ostrava
in 1-1 NG+ before finishing it. Can I go back and save him in 1-1 before clearing 1-2 or is it too late?

Rawk Hawk said:
Alright, so turns out I used the first boss soul not knowing what it was. I thought the bosses item would have the bosses name in it, but today I'm finding that I spent it to get souls and level up my character.

How bad did I screw myself over? I'm still fairly unsure what they are used for, just know I'm suppose to save them.

Not too bad. His soul is only used for one weapon. Just don't consume any of the other boss demon souls. I used the 1-2 boss's soul and still regret it.

Papercuts said:
Beat 1-1 and 1-2, yay. I have ~10K souls now, and I'm wondering what's a good thing to start with. I've seen some people say to just dump them into stat points, so should I just do that at the start?

Yeah, just speak to the Maiden in Black to upgrade your stats. If you're a melee character strength, endurance and vitality as well as a bit into dexterity is the best way to go. If you're a magic character intelligence, magic and vitality and some into endurance are the most important. You may also need to repair some of your equipment to keep them in good shape so you can spend souls at blacksmith Boldwin in the Nexus. You've probably picked up a few hero and soldier souls so you can just consume them when you need them before you buy something or upgrade stats.

I also feel really dumb about this but I'm super confused with the menus. How can I tell if I meet the requirements to use a large shield or weapon properly?

I may as well go into detail since there seem to be a lot of people new to the game here. When you're in the menu looking at weapons you can press square to toggle between the list view, a description of the highlighted weapon and a stat screen for the highlighted weapon. This is the stat screen:

23ljl2b.jpg

The stats needed are toward the bottom. They are in order strength, dexterity, magic and faith. So this uchigatana needs 18 strength and 13 dexterity to be used effectively in one hand. To use a weapon effectively with two hands you need ~2/3rds of the required strength. In this case you need a strength of 13 according to the wiki but that obviously isn't ideal as you would be giving up your shield. Above are the stat bonuses based on strength, dexterity, magic and faith. These are damage bonuses ranked S, A, B, C, D, E with S being the highest. So you can see that there is a small bonus based on strength and a very large bonus based on the dexterity stat because they've followed the "sharp" (dexterity based) upgrade path using bladestone giving +147 additional damage.

The special effects below are bleeding, poison, plague and critical. The higher the number the number the stronger the effect. This uchigatana has a chance of causing bleeding which will drain health similar to poison and plague effects. The critical damage effect refers to additional damage from backstab and riposte attacks.

In the middle are damage reduction and guard break reduction. These are most important for shields. The higher the guard break reduction is the less stamina it takes to block an attack and the lower your chances are of having your guard broken are. Damage reduction shows two types of damage, physical and magical. It shows the percentage of the attack that is absorbed when blocking. So the uchigatana would only block 45% of a physical attack's damage and 10% of the damage from a magical attack. Durability and weight are pretty self explanatory, just remember that equipment becomes less effective below 30% of its durability.

oracrest

FromTheFuture said:

When they die, they will load back to where the dropped the blue soul sign. Running back to the beginning of any level is cake, and probably doable in under a minute if you have cleared out enemies.

I generally do this to keep the same co op partner going as long as possible, unless they are a sloppy player.

RyanDG

Even in NG+, I'm still in love with my Hiltless. I have it at +4 right now. I don't know if I'm going to ever going to give this one up.

RyanDG said:
Even in NG+, I'm still in love with my Hiltless. I have it at +4 right now. I don't know if I'm going to ever going to give this one up.

How do you account for the HP loss on hit? I'm going back and forth between Hiltless, Makoto and a +5 Uchi.

RyanDG

prodystopian said:
How do you account for the HP loss on hit? I'm going back and forth between Hiltless, Makoto and a +5 Uchi.

I'm wearing a regenerator's ring for one of my two rings. That helps out quite a bit. I'm also a bit more methodical with my strikes and use a lot of ripostes.

RyanDG said:
I'm wearing a regenerator's ring for one of my two rings. That helps out quite a bit. I'm also a bit more methodical with my strikes and use a lot of ripostes.

What do you use in the left hand?

Edit: If I want PBWT can I just use a bunch of Ephemeral Eyes and suicide in each world until it gets there?

Top Bottom