• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Haunted

archnemesis said:
Here's a nice image to go along with electroshockwave's explanation.

kyQwR.jpg
Where's that guy who said that nothing in the game needs explaining a couple pages back, I want to slap this in his face. :p

RyanDG said:
Even in NG+, I'm still in love with my Hiltless. I have it at +4 right now. I don't know if I'm going to ever going to give this one up.
Hiltless was my go to weapon for my hooded knight-thief. God damns love it. Will be traversing the tower tonight, folks. Don't see how I can avoid it any longer.

I have 2 colorless souls and can get one (maybe two) more quite easily. I'm trying to figure out what to upgrade for a katana/dex build. I'm thinking of using the first on the Adjudicator's Shield. But then I'm not sure if I should do hiltless, Makoto or more on the shield. Thoughts?

Jimmy Stav said:
If I want to be using a sword and shield, should I be putting points into Strength or Dexterity?

It really depends on what weapon types you want. If you want heavy damaging weapons, strength. If you want to use the katana type weapons, dex. Getting both up to ~20 isn't bad so that you can at least meet the requirements for most weapons.

RyanDG

prodystopian said:
What do you use in the left hand?

Edit: If I want PBWT can I just use a bunch of Ephemeral Eyes and suicide in each world until it gets there?

To answer your questions about PBWT, yes, you can suicide with Ephemeral Eyes to get PB.

For your first question, when I'm using the hiltless, most of the times I'm going two handed. But when I'm going dual wield for the parrying/ripostes it's mostly with a Parrying dagger. I also use the Spiked shield, but not really for any practical purposes. I just love it. ;)

oracrest

Jimmy Stav said:
If I want to be using a sword and shield, should I be putting points into Strength or Dexterity?

Increasing your vitality is a good idea for sword and shield. This will allow you to block more and still roll, or hack into someone two handed with a long combo.

RyanDG said:
To answer your questions about PBWT, yes, you can suicide with Ephemeral Eyes to get PB.

For your first question, when I'm using the hiltless, most of the times I'm going two handed. But when I'm going dual wield for the parrying/ripostes it's mostly with a Parrying dagger. I also use the Spiked shield, but not really for any practical purposes. I just love it. ;)

Thanks. I didn't think about just going two handed. SO MANY OPTIONS:D

And I still don't really understand death in this game. You can't be fully revived until you kill the boss of the area? I recover my body and I don't come back to life.

Jimmy Stav said:
And I still don't really understand death in this game. You can't be fully revived until you kill the boss of the area? I recover my body and I don't come back to life.

Correct. You should really not worry about getting your body form back. The only advantage is a few more HP, but you are likely going to die anyway.

prodystopian said:
Correct. You should really not worry about getting your body form back. The only advantage is a few more HP, but you are likely going to die anyway.

Bummer. It'd be nice to not always have to use the Cling Ring.

prodystopian said:
I have 2 colorless souls and can get one (maybe two) more quite easily. I'm trying to figure out what to upgrade for a katana/dex build. I'm thinking of using the first on the Adjudicator's Shield. But then I'm not sure if I should do hiltless, Makoto or more on the shield. Thoughts?

It really depends on what weapon types you want. If you want heavy damaging weapons, strength. If you want to use the katana type weapons, dex. Getting both up to ~20 isn't bad so that you can at least meet the requirements for most weapons.

Which category would the Broadsword fall under? The Bastard Sword (which I'm assuming falls under large) is so slow.

Jimmy Stav said:

When you say recover your body do you mean touching the last bloodstain where you died? That's just collecting the souls you dropped. There are a few other ways to regain body form without killing a boss. You can use a stone of ephemeral eyes, which can be found pretty much everywhere. I think there's even one in the Nexus, in the floor below the Monumental. Or you can offer to be summoned as a blue phantom and regain your body by helping another player defeat a boss. You can also invade another world as a black phantom and kill the host.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finally sat down with this and made some progress in it, not as hard as I expected and pretty damn good too. Beat the first boss really easily. Can't wait to get a bit farther into it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RoboPlato said:
Finally sat down with this and made some progress in it, not as hard as I expected and pretty damn good too. Beat the first boss really easily. Can't wait to get a bit farther into it.
:)

zethren

Banned
Any pro-tips for getting past the bridge after beating the Phalanx boss? I think I got about half way across before I got blocked by a bunch of Dreglings(?) and cooked alive...lol

I didn't know what to think about Demon's Souls at first, but once I hunkered down and said "okay, take your time...." I began to get the hang of the game. Working on building up my stats so I can wear my Brushwood set effectively. I'm really liking it so far.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Finally got the time, and balls, to start a second playthrough. I couldn't complete the first due to my first PS3 YLODing second week after the game was released. Curse you locked saves.

Now, I think I have everything I need EXCEPT for an itinerary. Can someone please provide me the best way of tackling the games' zones? I just need the numbers, no explanations needed.

leroidys

I had a relatively easy time going through on the first playthrough. Several months later, I think that I'll just pick up DS and have an easy romp to finish up my platinum. I couldn't have been more wrong. I am considering completely starting over and respecing...

The real Demon's Souls starts here :(

Just thought I'd post my stats/equipment because I'm feeling underpowered:

Soldier
SL27
Vit 19
Int 9
Endurance 20
Strength 18
Dex 13

Currently using a +2 Broadsword, Steel Shield, and the starting armor except for the Brushwood helmet. Is it weird that I'm still using a Broadsword at this point? I feel like everything I pick up I can't use, and in spite of how many stat points I invest, my equip weight is never very high. I can hardly use anything before I lose the ability to roll.

I guess I'm just feeling like my stat progression is aimless. I'm starting to regret the amount of points I put into strength because I'm not really interested in using really slow weapons, but I'd hardly be able to equip any armor without it. For instance, the Steel Shield requires me to have a strength of 18.

Any suggestions? I've completed 1-1 and 1-2, and I'm currently on 2-2. Both the bearbugs and the worms take an eternity for me to kill. I had to give up once three worms spawned.

And thanks to everyone who has answered my questions so far. I'm loving the game, but it's pretty overwhelming.

GAF how is the game offline, i.e. without the online hint system/multiplayer? my console is in my living room, sans internet. will the overall experience change much?

Canova

Banned
disappeared said:
GAF how is the game offline, i.e. without the online hint system/multiplayer? my console is in my living room, sans internet. will the overall experience change much?

at its heart, the game is a solitary dungeon crawler. You're not missing any content by playing offline. But to experience the complete Demon's Souls is to play online. The white ghosts alone makes it worth it

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
disappeared said:

you will fall into many holes without the hint system.

zethren

Banned
disappeared said:

Playing offline won't allow you to see or leave messages, which can be good or bad (some people leave misleading messages, but hey that's part of the fun). I know I've found some neat things based on listening to player left messages. That said, I've also died a handful of times by listening to player left messages.

"Run straight through!"

Yeah...okay.

lol

Canova

Banned
zethren said:
Any pro-tips for getting past the bridge after beating the Phalanx boss? I think I got about half way across before I got blocked by a bunch of Dreglings(?) and cooked alive...lol

I didn't know what to think about Demon's Souls at first, but once I hunkered down and said "okay, take your time...." I began to get the hang of the game. Working on building up my stats so I can wear my Brushwood set effectively. I'm really liking it so far.

let the dragon cook the dreglings first then run like you never run before

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
alr1ghtstart said:
you will fall into many holes without the hint system.
I was too scared to play it online on my first playthrough, but to take advantage of the pure white tendency event I thought what the hell, why not. Now I can't see myself going back to offline mode; first off invasions aren't as often as I thought they'd be, white ghosts are a nice touch as they give you the impression of levels being populated, and finally the blood stains and hints are really helpful.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
canova said:
let the dragon cook the dreglings first then run like you never run before

And consider unequipping some armor so you can make the run at full speed... you can make the run without getting cooked, but not if you're wearing Brushwood. :lol

Edit: As for the second leg of the bridge:
you can pass that section underground

Jimmy Stav said:
Any suggestions? I've completed 1-1 and 1-2, and I'm currently on 2-2. Both the bearbugs and the worms take an eternity for me to kill. I had to give up once three worms spawned.

Most of the enemies in 2-2 are weak to magic damage. This means you could try using a weapon that deals magical damage. The crescent falchion in 4-1 is easy enough to get early on and was my weapon of choice for world 2, thanks to its magic damage. Some enemies will still take a lot of time to kill, though.

You could also try doing another level before 2-2. I found 3-1, 4-1 and 5-1 to be easier (at least if you consider the bosses as well). On the other hand, it may be a good idea to do 2-2 early to get the dragon long sword that you can find there. It is an awesome weapon.

way more

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

I am a hoarder. I save stuff that I can't possibly use.

Help me and answer this question. I've got all these demon's souls that I know I'm never gonna use. I've checked the wiki's and it is used to upgrade a axe. I'm never going to play with an axe (I need my asian swords), should I just go ahead and consume it?

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer. Just reassure me.

zethren

Banned
recklessmind said:
And consider unequipping some armor so you can make the run at full speed... you can make the run without getting cooked, but not if you're wearing Brushwood. :lol

Edit: As for the second leg of the bridge:
you can pass that section underground

Hmm, yeah I was wearing full armor (including the brushwood body armor and boots). I managed to survive one blast of the dragon's fire, presumably because brushwood grants resistance to fire damage...but it didn't take long for him to fly back around and finish the job..haha.

Looks like running through naked it is. Thanks for the tips guys.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Thanks for the help with the stats, guys. I never hit square to see the stuff like strength req., so that helps a lot. Currently have an Adjudicator's Shield, Crescent Falchion +1, and started as a Royal so I already have the MP regen ring and soul spell. I think I should be set for a bit.

Solo said:
3-1 down - easiest boss yet (I've done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and now 3-1).

Really? I might try that next then, I also have 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1 done. The noises in that level are unnerving as hell though.

Zoe

gdt5016 said:
Okay, I'm stuck on 3-1, you gotta give me some tips. Those fucking guards are tough as nails.

I usually hide behind a pillar and rush them as they're about to round the corner.

Canova

Banned
mac said:
The first step is admitting you have a problem.

I am a hoarder. I save stuff that I can't possibly use.

Help me and answer this question. I've got all these demon's souls that I know I'm never gonna use. I've checked the wiki's and it is used to upgrade a axe. I'm never going to play with an axe (I need my asian swords), should I just go ahead and consume it?

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer. Just reassure me.

you don't care about the weapon trophies?

and yeah, black katana Makoto is the best looking weapon in the game

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
zethren said:
Looks like running through naked it is. Thanks for the tips guys.

Don't have to be completely vulnerable... your equipped items just have to be <50% of your character's total equipment allowance (can never remember the terms for this haha) . Then you will move at 100% speed.

At full speed you can get past the dragon, just make sure you time it right.

There'a also an important WWT item in 1-2... I don't know if you have it yet... but it's a
ring that lets you wear a lot more armor/equip w/o the speed penalty.
Really good item for a tank build. Especially if you want to wear Brushwood. Also a
seriously good shield
in the same spot.

npm0925

Jimmy Stav said:
Just enough strength to use either the Dark Silver Shield or the Purple Flame Shield. Put the remainder into endurance as 1. a shield is utterly useless for blocking if your stamina is depleted & 2. a high equip weight capacity will allow your character to fast roll while you have that heavy shield equipped.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
lol and here I thought there was some sort of a megaman-esque pattern. That looks pretty straight forward.

Thanks.

npm0925 said:
Just enough strength to use either the Dark Silver Shield or the Purple Flame Shield. Put the remainder into endurance as 1. a shield is utterly useless for blocking if your stamina is depleted & 2. a high equip weight capacity will allow your character to fast roll while you have that heavy shield equipped.

So how much should go to Dexterity?

Draft

Jinfash said:
lol and here I thought there was some sort of a megaman-esque pattern. That looks pretty straight forward.

Thanks.
Beat 2-1 because you get the good blacksmith. Beat 3-1 to learn magic spells. Beat 4-1 to get miracles.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
1-1 finished and most of 1-2 finished. Haven't gotten nailed how to time the fire runs. Will likely get to that after I finish 2-1 when I get home from work.

Whenever I play this game I'm filled with the same gamer's guilt I feel when I'm playing TF2 and Diablo 2 that I should be spending so much more time with it. :S

Top Bottom