• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

npm0925

Jimmy Stav said:
So how much should go to Dexterity?
None. Dexterity is kind of worthless IMO. Some people advocate a dexterity of 16 to use the lava bow, but I find that a shortbow +10 is a serviceable replacement that has virtually no stat prerequisites. Dump those points into END or VIT instead to improve the survivability of your character. There is really no reason to use anything other than a dragon, moon, or blessed weapon on your first playthrough of the game (those weapons draw little to no power from your STR or DEX stat).

If you get killed by a cursed weapon enchanted weapon in pvp do you lose a soul level? I accidentally ended up in sort of a pvp tournament in 4-1 earlier and I got de-levelled a few times and the only the explanation I can think of is that I was killed by a cursed weapon but I can't find anything about it in the wiki.

Anyway, that was only part of a larger losing streak. Backstabs and lag are a nightmare to deal with. I started out well but after a while I felt like a gambler who was hoping for his next big win to somehow earn back his massive losses. I kept putting down a blue eye stone until I was eventually summoned by a different host who I just ended up helping to finish the level. I think it must have only been his second playthrough because it seemed relatively easy and homing soul arrow made short work of adjudicator. Afterwards he sent me a message saying something like "Thanks you are PRO bro". I'm not sure if he was serious because all I could think was "Yeah, I fucking wish..."

RyanDG

electroshockwave said:
If you get killed by a cursed weapon enchanted weapon in pvp do you lose a soul level? I accidentally ended up in sort of a pvp tournament in 4-1 earlier and I got de-levelled a few times and the only the explanation I can think of is that I was killed by a cursed weapon but I can't find anything about it in the wiki.

If you suicide somehow in a level as a spirit or die by the environment, you'll lose a soul level. That's the only thing I can think of if you aren't dropping down a red stone.

Edit - Sometimes a DOT will count as an environmental death btw - so like poison/fire dots. That sort of thing.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
ughhhh, so far I beat 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2 since I was referring to a FAQ before coming here. I started as a Royal, but I'm still using the same freaking equipment set I started with (Wizard :\).

Did I miss something? Was I supposed to buy/upgrade at some point but missed the opportunity?

Beat 2-1 because you get the good blacksmith. Beat 3-1 to learn magic spells. Beat 4-1 to get miracles.

Ahh, now that's actually pretty helpful. Thanks again, Draft.

Does my corpse (souls) stay there as long as I don't die again? I died toward the end of 3-1, but I kind of want to farm for healing items before I try and retrieve it. I'd hate for it to disappear though.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Jimmy Stav said:
Does my corpse (souls) stay there as long as I don't die again?.
Yes, iirc the bloodstain/souls will remain wherever you died even if you decide to complete other zones. Just don't die of course.

zerokoolpsx said:
Has anyone ever had trouble dropping a blue soul sign, or black one? I can't use mine. It doesn't highlight. I press select to see if I can leave messages and I can. I can only use the nexial binding, but my white stone, blue stone, black stone are all unusuable. I restarted my ps3, log on and off the ds server. I'm stumped. It's affected my other characters too. I can drop a red stone, but nothing else. Wtf!

Are you definitely in soul form?

Sorry if that sounds dumb but it's the only thing I can think of.

Azuran

Banned
5-2 is without a doubt the worst level ever made. Going to that dump completely kills my interest in this game from time time. It's made even worse right now because I'm trying to beat BP Selen Viland but she keeps owning the hell out of me. I swear it's impossible to kill her without resorting to cheap tactics (which I'm trying to avoid doing because I want to kill her straight on). Just getting to her is a chore.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just spent about an hour and a half slowly trekking through 3-1, fought a prisoner horde near the bottom and while opening all of the cells walked right into a hole. Fuuuuuuck. :lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Jinfash said:
ughhhh, so far I beat 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2 since I was referring to a FAQ before coming here. I started as a Royal, but I'm still using the same freaking equipment set I started with (Wizard :\).

Did I miss something? Was I supposed to buy/upgrade at some point but missed the opportunity?

Ahh, now that's actually pretty helpful. Thanks again, Draft.

You already beat 1-2...
creepy merchant at the end of the tunnel has a suit of armor (I think it's unisex plate)
if you want it. Fluted armor (the knight's armor you see on the cover -- it's unisex but looks different for females) can be found in
2-1
but be careful of overburden!

Zoe

Papercuts said:
Just spent about an hour and a half slowly trekking through 3-1, fought a prisoner horde near the bottom and while opening all of the cells walked right into a hole. Fuuuuuuck. :lol

I kept doing that so many times in that level :lol

Haunted said:
Where's that guy who said that nothing in the game needs explaining a couple pages back, I want to slap this in his face. :p

Erm... the game labels all those icons. If there's some explaining to be had, that ain't it.

IrishNinja

god, ive actually got to play offline just to keep black world tendency in worlds 2 and 4 now.

down to just the getting all spell trophy (im about 1 and a half playthroughs away, saving for last), and the usual suspects for hoarding stones: hard (2-2 sucks! the crystal lizards stopped showing up (;_;), blade (i really have to get better at sneaking up on black skeletons in 4-2; i go to soulsuck and they turn around and kill me...), and marrow (fucking mosquitoes....). ill get this done eventually, but there's a lotta grinding for chunks in my future. that platinum will be mine, though!!

Solo

gdt5016 said:
Okay, I'm stuck on 3-1, you gotta give me some tips. Those fucking guards are tough as nails.

By guards do you mean the glowing green, squid looking guys who will fuck you up if they get up close, the ones you know are around because you hear bells?

If so, I just use Soul Arrow. 2-3 shots and they drop like flies. The boss was actually even more of a joke than these guys.

Azuran said:
5-2 is without a doubt the worst level ever made. Going to that dump completely kills my interest in this game from time time. It's made even worse right now because I'm trying to beat BP Selen Viland but she keeps owning the hell out of me. I swear it's impossible to kill her without resorting to cheap tactics (which I'm trying to avoid doing because I want to kill her straight on). Just getting to her is a chore.

Yeah, Selen was easily the most frustrating black phantom. A lot harder than Satsuki that lots of people seem to think is hard. Make sure to rush her whenever she tries to use her anti-magic field miracle, so that you can use the Warding Spell to protect yourself from her attacks (since shields are useless and it's pretty much impossible to dodge in the swamp). If she managed to get Anti-magic field off, I just had to avoid until it wore off (five minutes or so). It really was quite a humiliating fight, but I managed to get her this way.

Regarding 5-2 as a whole, it grew on me. Once you get all the items in the swamp, you can get through most of the level without actually touching that muck again. And the atmosphere is really top notch. Because of the great atmosphere, it was, at the same time, both my favorite level and my most hated one.

Jimmy Stav said:
Just thought I'd post my stats/equipment because I'm feeling underpowered:

Soldier
SL27
Vit 19
Int 9
Endurance 20
Strength 18
Dex 13

Currently using a +2 Broadsword, Steel Shield, and the starting armor except for the Brushwood helmet. Is it weird that I'm still using a Broadsword at this point? I feel like everything I pick up I can't use, and in spite of how many stat points I invest, my equip weight is never very high. I can hardly use anything before I lose the ability to roll.

Any suggestions? I've completed 1-1 and 1-2, and I'm currently on 2-2. Both the bearbugs and the worms take an eternity for me to kill. I had to give up once three worms spawned.

And thanks to everyone who has answered my questions so far. I'm loving the game, but it's pretty overwhelming.
Before you invest any more points. What weapon are you going to use after the broadsword? Your strength and dex is just enough to use Makoto, but have a regenerator's ring or Adjucator's shield until you find something better.
For the worms, do you have a bow? 2-3 head shots will kill one.

jett

D-Member
NG+ is making me feel like a fucking newb!

Is there even any point to wearing armor? I feel like I'm getting dealt a great deal of damage whether I wear the Vinland armor or going at it butt naked.

jett said:

Is there even any point to wearing armor? I feel like I'm getting dealt a great deal of damage whether I wear the Vinland armor or going at it butt naked.

I feel the same. Some of the female armors seem a bit better, but I can't try them. The only armor I was considering was Doran's set, but I don't have it. I haven't found any with good defense that aren't super heavy. I'm still rocking just leather.

I've taken out 1-1 and 2-1, but I've been playing around upgrading a few weapons and haven't beaten anything else yet. I have all the spiderstone chunks and pure I need, but I have to grind for shards. Ugh. Oh and one bladestone chunk.

jett said:

I don't think going the heavy armor route ever pays off. -50% weight + dodging is the way to go.

Evolved1

Metalmurphy said:
I don't think going the heavy armor route ever pays off. -50% weight + dodging is the way to go.

You can make heavy armor work if you have the ring that ^ equipment. Have to be mindful of what weapon configurations you have, and bows and things are hard to get under the weight limit, but otherwise that's what I do. Heavy armor & full speed.

I'm having a lot of fun with that combo...

zerokoolpsx said:
Before you invest any more points. What weapon are you going to use after the broadsword? Your strength and dex is just enough to use Makoto, but have a regenerator's ring or Adjucator's shield until you find something better.
For the worms, do you have a bow? 2-3 head shots will kill one.

I just found a +1 Falchion that works incredibly well, and I'd like to continue using swords like that with a shield.

Should I avoid using heavy armor? There's no way in hell that I could equip a bow in addition to my sword. I'm finding it to be impossible to keep the equip weight under 50% with what I'm currently using (and the use of all of my equipment is dependent on my Ring of Great Strength). What sort of light armor should I be looking out for?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is my first time playing the game while online, what's the point of the "I'm in trouble; please recommend" scattered messages?

Cloudius12 said:
iirc its January 2
Bah, I gotta get cracking then.

Jinfash said:
This is my first time playing the game while online, what's the point of the "I'm in trouble; please recommend" scattered messages?

Bah, I gotta get cracking then.

I think you get some kind of bonus when one of your messages gets recommended.

Evolved1

Jimmy Stav said:
I just found a +1 Falchion that works incredibly well, and I'd like to continue using swords like that with a shield.

Should I avoid using heavy armor? There's no way in hell that I could equip a bow in addition to my sword. I'm finding it to be impossible to keep the equip weight under 50% with what I'm currently using (and the use of all of my equipment is dependent on my Ring of Great Strength). What sort of light armor should I be looking out for?

Bow is the kind of thing you can keep in inventory though... and only equip when you know you'll be in ranged combat.

If you're a melee character, heavy armor affords you more room for mistakes because it will absorb an otherwise lethal blow... if you have a good ring and think about your weapons... it's pretty easy to stay 100% speed. Then if you find yourself in need of ranged weapons, you could equip through the menu. Some might disagree, but I don't find movement speed to be extremely important when using a bow.

I keep the bow for hunting lizards, mainly...

I guess it depends on how much you want to use the thing.

Jinfash said:
Huh, that's actually pretty cool, not to mention helpful.

I just wish the message would automatically disappear after one recommendation. Get your heal and then stop bothering me... seeing that message with like 1400 recs is really annoying.

Papercuts

Finally beat 3-1, god damn. I died again at the black phantom, trying to rush into a heal and got snagged by an arrow that took off about half of my life. If you didn't keep all the keys after you died I think I would have murdered the nearest human being.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
recklessmind said:
I just wish the message would automatically disappear after one recommendation. Get your heal and then stop bothering me... seeing that message with like 1400 recs is really annoying.
Yeah, I figured as much when I realized the game wouldn't require 1000+ recommendations for the heal effect. How many do need for the effect anyway?

RyanDG

Jinfash said:
Yeah, I figured as much when I realized the game wouldn't require 1000+ recommendations for the heal effect. How many do need for the effect anyway?

Just one. But each time someone recommends it you get a full heal.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The only souls I shouldn't consume are the bosses, for later upgrades, while the rest are safe to use, right?

Edit: ehhh magic spells consume demon souls too? If I learn Soul Ray, will there be another upgrade later in the game that uses the same soul?

Just one. But each time someone recommends it you get a full heal.

Seriously? I should be spamming them then lol.

Papercuts

Jinfash said:
Seriously? I should be spamming them then lol.

That reminds me, I'm assuming there's a limit to the number of messages you put down before old ones erase, or possibly a time based thing. Is there?

npm0925 said:
None. Dexterity is kind of worthless IMO. Some people advocate a dexterity of 16 to use the lava bow, but I find that a shortbow +10 is a serviceable replacement that has virtually no stat prerequisites. Dump those points into END or VIT instead to improve the survivability of your character. There is really no reason to use anything other than a dragon, moon, or blessed weapon on your first playthrough of the game (those weapons draw little to no power from your STR or DEX stat).

There's really four ways to build a character for melee. Strength will have the highest DPS because you can wield heavy two handed weapons and you don't have to waste points on requirements. Dex gets you quicker weapons and you get to be an archer as well. Magic lets you deal damage to enemies that would normally be resistant to slashing or whatever and you get spells, and Faith has the same benefit as well as the fact that blessed weapons have a regen effect and some miracles are pretty cool. All of these builds also need endurance up to 40 for maxed out stamina.

Oh yeah, and as a side note armor generally isn't worth it. You get most of your defense from your soul level midway in and the difference between light armors and heavy armors isn't that great. You are better off being able to roll than wearing slightly heavier armor.

Azuran

Banned
hydrophilic attack said:
Yeah, Selen was easily the most frustrating black phantom. A lot harder than Satsuki that lots of people seem to think is hard. Make sure to rush her whenever she tries to use her anti-magic field miracle, so that you can use the Warding Spell to protect yourself from her attacks (since shields are useless and it's pretty much impossible to dodge in the swamp). If she managed to get Anti-magic field off, I just had to avoid until it wore off (five minutes or so). It really was quite a humiliating fight, but I managed to get her this way.

Regarding 5-2 as a whole, it grew on me. Once you get all the items in the swamp, you can get through most of the level without actually touching that muck again. And the atmosphere is really top notch. Because of the great atmosphere, it was, at the same time, both my favorite level and my most hated one.

I just beat her this afternoon. I got a lucky fight where she spend most of the battle trying to use her spells. All I needed to go was attack her and then roll away. She barely tried to attack me. I also found out using a large sword against her is suicide. I decided to use my Crushing Knight Sword +5 instead of the DBS and everything went a lot better. I finally have the Blind. Now I just need to beat BP Rydell and I'll have the trophy.

Also, my hate for 5-2 has grown even more after I spent 2 full hours farming for Chunks of Marrowstone. Only got one for my troubles. I swear that world is nothing more than a big middle finger from the devs.

Papercuts said:
That reminds me, I'm assuming there's a limit to the number of messages you put down before old ones erase, or possibly a time based thing. Is there?
You can put down 3 per level. If you place another, the first-most one you placed will be removed.

TheExecutive said:
It would be nice to get some dark moongrass in the inventory when this happens... How does it happen anyway?
When your message is recommended, you'll get a notifcation near the bottom that says 'Your message has been recommended' and your health bar will fill up instantly.

IrishNinja

yeah, mine always get recommended after ive signed off...nothing like logging into the nexus and being healed a few times. :lol

speaking of - GAF, what's you're etiquette, here? i totally recommend the useful ones (crystal lizard, watch out for hole, treasure over here, etc) but the begging ones, "please recommend this!" i totally ignore if they've got like 3 digits of help, but if i see one with like less than say 50 (especially the poor bastards in world 5 way of somewhere with like 2 recommended), i always gotta help em out. kind've a community effort, i guess - what do you guys do though?

Evolved1

Is the tendency event over? I'm just wondering if I have to play off line when I boot it up later... still have a bunch of WWT stuff to do.

Papercuts

IrishNinja said:
yeah, mine always get recommended after ive signed off...nothing like logging into the nexus and being healed a few times. :lol

speaking of - GAF, what's you're etiquette, here? i totally recommend the useful ones (crystal lizard, watch out for hole, treasure over here, etc) but the begging ones, "please recommend this!" i totally ignore if they've got like 3 digits of help, but if i see one with like less than say 50 (especially the poor bastards in world 5 way of somewhere with like 2 recommended), i always gotta help em out. kind've a community effort, i guess - what do you guys do though?

If I die, I always make sure I either recommend a nearby message or make my own for it. I typically recommend all the ones talking about holes since it really sucks to fall in them(I'm an expert). I have never actually recommended one of the "I need help" ones, even at 0.

I don't want to say how many times i've died in 1-1, but there were times where I had that "SERIOUSLY FUCK THIS GAME" tone. Yet, I would resurrect, kept playing and still had fun.

Right now I'm a Royal using a Scimitar. Should I bother upgrading it or wait for a better weapon?

I want to kill the named black phantoms and do the Mephistopheles quests. I'm currently using an Uchigatana +7 with the Adjudcator's shield.

Presuming I only have 5 Colorless Demon's souls and there is no way I'm going to grind for a pure bladestone, should I use the Souls to upgrade Hiltless or Makoto?

Draft

Jinfash said:
Edit: ehhh magic spells consume demon souls too? If I learn Soul Ray, will there be another upgrade later in the game that uses the same soul?
Yes, eventually you will have to choose whether to burn certain souls on magic, miracles or weapons.

I made the mistake of using evacuate in 2-2 after using the elevator to the left at the beginning. Is there any way to get it back up? I hadn't activated the trigger to open up the tunnel on the other side.

Edit: nm, if you walk past the elevator, there is a place to drop down.

Top Bottom