• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm currently in 3-2, and I just released Yurt the Silent Chief from his cage after talking to him. I heard a few suggest that I shouldn't kill him now, but wait until he's back at the Nexus. However, I'm not sure how powerful he is or if my character is up to the task atm, so pushing him over the edge right now in 3-2 would save me a lot of trouble.

Are there any advantages to killing him at the Nexus rather than now?

Second questions: How powerful is the Maneater (3-2 boss)? I'm reading his description and he seems to be formidable. Here are my stats, I'm regretting a lot of decisions right now, especially buffing my INT, magic, and faith at such an early stage:

Soul Level - 41
Vit - 14 (hnnng)
Int - 18
End - 15
Str - 18
Dex - 12
Magic - 17
Faith - 16
Luck - 11

I'm currently wearing the Leather Armor set, with a Flute legging, since it's the best of defense/weight ratio I got now.

I haven't upgraded a single piece of armor or weapon so, since I never ran into any troubles so far.

The zones I completed so far are 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 4-1.
Any suggestions?

Yes, eventually you will have to choose whether to burn certain souls on magic, miracles or weapons.
Dammit, I hate resorting to faqs, but I guess I have to look up some upgrade tables.

Jinfash said:
I'm currently in 3-2, and I just released Yurt the Silent Chief from his cage after talking to him. I heard a few suggest that I shouldn't kill him now, but wait until he's back at the Nexus. However, I'm not sure how powerful he is or if my character is up to the task atm, so pushing him over the edge right now in 3-2 would save me a lot of trouble.

Are there any advantages to killing him at the Nexus rather than now?

Second questions: How powerful is the Maneater (3-2 boss)? I'm reading his description and he seems to be formidable. Here are my stats, I'm regretting a lot of decisions right now, especially buffing my INT, magic, and faith at such an early stage:

Soul Level - 41
Vit - 14 (hnnng)
Int - 18
End - 15
Str - 18
Dex - 12
Magic - 17
Faith - 16
Luck - 11

I'm currently wearing the Leather Armor set, with a Flute legging, since it's the best of defense/weight ratio I got now.

I haven't upgraded a single piece of armor or weapon so, since I never ran into any troubles so far.

The zones I completed so far are 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 4-1.
Any suggestions?

Dammit, I hate resorting to faqs, but I guess I have to look up some upgrade tables.

Well I will say that
you run the risk of losing all his drops by pushing him over the edge. At least in the Nexus you can kill him and get all his gear...

jett

D-Member
Oh man Jinfash did you attempt to equally distribute your souls among all the variables? You dun goofed. Good luck with the maneater. :p

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Well I will say that
you run the risk of losing all his drops by pushing him over the edge. At least in the Nexus you can kill him and get all his gear...

No, if he falls the gear will reappear near the cage. You have to reload your game.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
jett said:
No, if he falls the gear will reappear near the cage. You have to reload your game.
Yeah, that's what I heard. If he's gonna hand me my ass later in the Nexus, I'd rather push him over.

jett said:
Oh man Jinfash did you attempt to equally distribute your souls among all the variables? You dun goofed. Good luck with the maneater. :p
Where should I go now, what should I do? Bawwwwwwwwww.

Question, folks. Once the online support for the game is over in March, will it still be an amazing experience? Is it worth playing through offline? I'm going to pick it up today but doubt I'll have a chance to sink my teeth into it until May.

Draft

All this PWT stuff got me to jump back into NG+, and world 5 is almost irredeemable. What a shitty pockmark on an otherwise excellent game.

Fighting on nothing but little bridges sucks.

Fighting in the mud sucks.

The way the camera freaks out whenever it gets near an errant piece of lumber sucks.

The little troll guys who are boring as hell to fight except when they trap you on a little bridge and almost one shot you with their fire poles sucks.

Having everything: bridges, walls, holes, everything be the same shitty shade of brown sucks.

The only good part is the final boss.

Lince

Banned
^^^
I actually love world 5, you have to think and prepare your gear/miracles/spells beforehand and take one enemy or group of foes at a time, lure them your way to a trap or whatever, you just can't rush it.

tonight I was unstoppable, completed 1-1 2-1 2-2 3-1 3-2 and 3-3 in 55 minutes without dying once and owning every boss (NG+++) so I jumped from 60% to 91%, one gold trophy shy to get a legit offline Platinum without the rampant online cheating of duping and stuff. I just need to complete 5-3 and forge a weapon with the soul. I believe you actually learn to properly play the game on NG+ so the following runs are a breeze.

so is there a level restriction to play coop? can you help any player online regardless of your/their soul level? I tried PvP months ago and it was a blast, a bit laggy but shit was intense. Demon's Souls game of the forever.

aztrex said:
Question, folks. Once the online support for the game is over in March, will it still be an amazing experience? Is it worth playing through offline? I'm going to pick it up today but doubt I'll have a chance to sink my teeth into it until May.

I believe online support has been extended through next October at the very least, anyway DS online = 10, DS offline = 9,99. You won't miss much, actually the sense of accomplishment is bigger when you do all by yourself.

prodystopian said:
I want to kill the named black phantoms and do the Mephistopheles quests. I'm currently using an Uchigatana +8 with the Adjudcator's shield.

Presuming I only have 5 Colorless Demon's souls and there is no way I'm going to grind for a pure bladestone, should I use the Souls to upgrade Hiltless or Makoto?

Any ideas?

Started yesterday, still just learning. I've lost probably close to 10,000 already just from dying, then fucking dying again on my way back for my blood spot. One thing I'm still confused about is the death system. I beat Phalanx in 1-1, then died, then went back to my soul form. Now I can't be fully human and run around anymore? Do I have to beat another boss to regain physical form?

Lince said:
I believe online support has been extended through next October at the very least, anyway DS online = 10, DS offline = 9,99. You won't miss much, actually the sense of accomplishment is bigger when you do all by yourself.

Excellent quote, much appreciated.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat 2-2, 2-3, and 1-3 on my last session, good stuff. My hands were sweating near the end of the Penetrator fight, I had a puddle of 30K souls waiting. Luckily I beat him and now have 100K to spend. =)

What can I do with extra equipment other than deposit it? There's no way to redeem it for souls or anything?

Should I bother with Magic/Faith at all if I'm primarily putting points into Vit, End, and Dex?

Erdrick

My gaming resolution this year is to play through and STICK with Demon's Souls.

I bought this game upon release in October of 2009. Played it for a week or so, beat the first boss (Phalanx?) Made it to some huge tower knight and kept getting killed so I put it off for a while. Fast forward to last June, when, while I had not touched Demon's Souls since, my PS3 died. I sent it away to Sony for repair and lost all my data. Not that I lost much in Demon's Souls but still.

I'm very determined to stick with this game now, as I really like the concept and I want to play it while the online component is still up. I've opened the door to the first boss once again, as I started this for serious yesterday and I hope to get back to where I was soon.

How does one level up in this game? You have to talk to some woman in the nexus? Am I blind or has she just not appeared yet until I beat the first stage? I forget... Any advice for a basic new person playing this game? I'm playing as a Thief, btw.

I remember meeting a red eyed knight back when I first played this and it ended me FAST. It's not often in games nowadays that I fear when I hear heavy footsteps coming closer...

One thing I DID notice was that since it's a white tendency day, the accursed dragons that were living around that cliff in the first level were not there this time. It was nice to be able to get the items without being burnt to a crisp.

Nert

Erdrick said:
My gaming resolution this year is to play through and STICK with Demon's Souls.

Same here. I beat the first level, felt somewhat lost, and didn't progress much from there. I really liked the game's atmosphere, and the combat felt satisfying, but I just didn't feel the need to press onward for whatever reason. I want to make a more serious effort at this game and see if I can appreciate it as much as some people do.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Can someone explain what just happened to me?

I was in 3-2 and thought of trying out invading someone else's game for the first time, so I used the black stone. Next thing I know I was pulled out of my level and there was a cut scene: a room full of wooden chairs and a monk on a throne, he removed his garb and wrapped it around my head (it was huge).

I couldn't escape the room and had to wait for the player to enter. When I defeated the player I obviously returned to my physical form but kept the huge wrapping.

This is my first time invading and I was under the impression that I'd be roaming a bigger area more freely, at least that's happened when my game was invaded.

Do all invasions carry out the same way?

ZeroRay

Jinfash said:
Can someone explain what just happened to me?

I was in 3-2 and thought of trying out invading someone else's game for the first time, so I used the black stone. Next thing I know I was pulled out of my level and there was a cut scene: a room full of wooden chairs and a monk on a throne, he removed his garb and wrapped it around my head (it was huge).

I couldn't escape the room and had to wait for the player to enter. When I defeated the player I obviously returned to my physical form but kept the huge wrapping.

This is my first time invading and I was under the impression that I'd be roaming a bigger area more freely, at least that's happened when my game was invaded.

Do all invasions carry out the same way?

:lol

You, my friend, just played as the last boss of World 3!

Basically any time you want to be summoned or try to invade someone, there's a chance that you'll be chosen as the boss for whoever is starting 3-3/

IrishNinja

Jinfash said:
That is awesome! :lol

Now I feel bad for the guy.

:lol congrats on your turban!
im dying to do this, im hoping being soul level 153 still gives me a shot at it. also, is WWT event over? id like to go back online, but i need world 4 black to grind, and 2 the same for stone farming...

Jimmy Stav said:
What can I do with extra equipment other than deposit it? There's no way to redeem it for souls or anything?

Should I bother with Magic/Faith at all if I'm primarily putting points into Vit, End, and Dex?

There is no way to sell your surplus equipment or anything useful like that. Leave it with Thomas.

Regarding the second question, it depends on if you want to use buffing spells. For example, I found Warding to be very helpful as a defensive buff, and therefore increasing the intelligence enough to get a spell capacity of two, was very helpful for me. Same thing for Faith if there are buffing miracles that you are interested in (I didn't find them all that useful, although anti magic field, requiring two miracle slots, might be useful in some situations). Magic, on the other hand will only increase the strength of your spells so I don't think you would want to put any points into that if you are not going with magic as your main damage output.

jett

D-Member
I don't understand what the hell just happened. I had about 20k in souls. I felt like invading a world, but after I invaded by soul count was diminished to 2k. Wat.

Draft

Dude, what the hellllllllllllllllll? Demon Souls won't boot up. Doesn't appear to be a PS3 issue since other games start fine.

The receiver clicks over to 720p, and then nothing, just a black screen. Fuck.

jett

D-Member
I need some advice here because I don't know where to go from here. I'm in NG+, I'm primarily a melee fighter with a bunch of Endurance and some strength and dexterity. I'm using the Demonbrandt and a mix of Vikland's armor and some assassin/black gear. Is there better weapons than this one? Better armor? What should I spend my souls on? :p

Draft

Started working. Now I'm nervous about my triple.

5-1 is the worst. It's just the worst. Unless you enjoy constant fiddling with the camera and lock on system, an abortion of a level (which I guess is fitting.)

Canova

Banned
jett said:
I need some advice here because I don't know where to go from here. I'm in NG+, I'm primarily a melee fighter with a bunch of Endurance and some strength and dexterity. I'm using the Demonbrandt and a mix of Vikland's armor and some assassin/black gear. Is there better weapons than this one? Better armor? What should I spend my souls on? :p

if you have a focus build (dex, str, faith or blue blood sword build) then yes there are a few weapons that are better than demonbrandt or even north regalia.

but if your stats is equally distributed then demonbrandt or north regalia is one of the best

george_us

Draft said:
Started working. Now I'm nervous about my triple.

5-1 is the worst. It's just the worst. Unless you enjoy constant fiddling with the camera and lock on system, an abortion of a level (which I guess is fitting.)
Valley of Defilement is the worst area in the game by far with the worst bosses.

george_us said:
Valley of Defilement is the worst area in the game by far with the worst bosses.

Valley of Defilement is probably the easiest area. You can skip large segments of 5-2 by going through the swamp (poison does so little damage), the bosses are easy as hell if you have flame toss and there aren't any real bag of dicks enemies like the crossbow gargoyles or the gold skeletons.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
NovemberMike said:
Valley of Defilement is probably the easiest area. You can skip large segments of 5-2 by going through the swamp (poison does so little damage), the bosses are easy as hell if you have flame toss and there aren't any real bag of dicks enemies like the crossbow gargoyles or the gold skeletons.

There's that one little island deep into the swamp with a bunch of big trolls on it... they kill me a lot. Can't roll in the mud! :lol

Lince

Banned
Platinum get! funny it is exactly my #1000 PSN trophy, coincidence? :lol

Lince_SPAIN.png

I got it 100% offline so no online trading/duping shenanigans, mission accomplished. I had to resort to Demon's Souls Wiki for the PBWT/PWWT events and to figure how to forge my missing unique (trophy) weapons though.

Apart from that my build was based on magic + faith + vitality and I used pretty much a light armor & Crescent Falchion (+5) through the whole game with some exceptions here and there. I also held to my initial Heater Shield (+10) regular, no Dark version I avoided magic attacks instead of blocking them. So pretty much I perfected my build and play style (parrying - riposte - rolling/evading and using magic spells at range) after struggling on NG+ for a couple of hours trying different things and then everything was much easier. Awesome game, now time to invade/help some lost souls online.

Best game ever

recklessmind said:
There's that one little island deep into the swamp with a bunch of big trolls on it... they kill me a lot. Can't roll in the mud! :lol

There are two big guys you have to fight in 5-2 iirc, at the entrance to the first wall. After that there's another group at the entrance to the second wall but I think you can sneak past them, and if you can't there's tons of dry ground for you to fight them on.

Canova

Banned
recklessmind said:

the one with 3 big trolls on it? that island has 3 ephemeral stones.

what you do is that go up to the shortcut ledge and thief ring + hyper-mode arrow them to death

Erdrick said:
How does one level up in this game? You have to talk to some woman in the nexus? Am I blind or has she just not appeared yet until I beat the first stage? I forget... Any advice for a basic new person playing this game? I'm playing as a Thief, btw.

Thief is probably the weakest start. You have high luck, and unless you are going for a specific build (blue blood sword) that is generally worthless and everything else is pretty weak. Recommended starts are Royal for the mana regen, Temple Knight for faith, low luck and good equipment or after that anything that isn't babarian, thief or wanderer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So my initial plowing through of 1-1 as devolved into me having no idea how to progress. :lol All of the levels I've attempted have had something that stopped me cold. I thought that if I beat most of 1-1 without dying, including on the boss, I wouldn't hit a wall like this. Thankfully I've gotten some new gear and leveled up a bit so I can probably make some progress once I sit down and dedicate myself to it. I'm not nearly as frustrated as I thought I would be though. I like how open the progression is so you can get some souls, pick up some new gear, and experiment without having to see the same places over and over again.

RoboPlato said:
So my initial plowing through of 1-1 as devolved into me having no idea how to progress. :lol All of the levels I've attempted have had something that stopped me cold. I thought that if I beat most of 1-1 without dying, including on the boss, I wouldn't hit a wall like this. Thankfully I've gotten some new gear and leveled up a bit so I can probably make some progress once I sit down and dedicate myself to it. I'm not nearly as frustrated as I thought I would be though. I like how open the progression is so you can get some souls, pick up some new gear, and experiment without having to see the same places over and over again.

One thing you can do is head to 4-1 and pick up the crescent falchion. It's useful because it deals magic damage, which goes through most resistances.

Solo

Just got invaded for the first time. Made me just about crap my pants when it happened. But then I smacked the invader down like a bitch with 3 Soul Ray blasts.

oracrest

aztrex said:

I played through my whole first playthrough without engaging in any of the interactive multiplayer aspects (not counting that one particular fight.)

You will enjoy this game plenty without having to connect online. One of the strokes of genius about this game is that the experience is hardly gimped if you don't have multiplayer, and at the same time, the online aspects are incredibly unique and interesting.

Enjoy!

I'm a bit confused about how saving works in this game. If I quit in the middle of a dungeon, will I be back in that same spot when I reload the game?

Zzoram

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm a bit confused about how saving works in this game. If I quit in the middle of a dungeon, will I be back in that same spot when I reload the game?
Yes I believe so. But worlds don't persist, so any items dropped will disappear when you load and all monsters will respawn.

zankara

Draft said:
Dude, what the hellllllllllllllllll? Demon Souls won't boot up. Doesn't appear to be a PS3 issue since other games start fine.

The receiver clicks over to 720p, and then nothing, just a black screen. Fuck.

I had the same problem a few times. Every other game seems to work fine though.

Zzoram said:
Yes I believe so. But worlds don't persist, so any items dropped will disappear when you load and all monsters will respawn.
I'm pretty sure the monsters will not respawn. You start the level exactly how it was when you quit.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Question about 3-3's boss, the Dragon God. Every faq I'm reading is saying that it's an easy fight if you're a magic user, that you can practically slay him without the risk of taking any hit, and that the fight starts right away for you. However, when I first reach him and lock, none of the magic I launch are effective whatsoever (zero damage). Is it a timing thing, or am I in the wrong place?

oracrest

FromTheFuture said:
I'm pretty sure the monsters will not respawn. You start the level exactly how it was when you quit.

This is true. You may be a room or two off of your exact location when you quit, but enemies will only respawn if you travel to the nexus or die.

Vitten

Jinfash said:
Question about 3-3's boss, the Dragon God. Every faq I'm reading is saying that it's an easy fight if you're a magic user, that you can practically slay him without the risk of taking any hit, and that the fight starts right away for you. However, when I first reach him and lock, none of the magic I launch are effective whatsoever (zero damage). Is it a timing thing, or am I in the wrong place?

I'm a bit confused. Dragon God is the 2-3 boss and you can't hit him directly first. You need to stay out of his sight and make your way to the two ballistas who will knock him down.Once he's down you can get close to him and lock on to the teeth on his chin for the killing blow.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Vitten said:
I'm a bit confused. Dragon God is the 2-3 boss and you can't hit him directly first. You need to stay out of his sight and make your way to the two ballistas who will knock him down.Once he's down you can get close to him and lock on to the teeth on his chin for the killing blow.
Yeah, sorry I meant 2-3.

Heh, I see, so firing the balistas is a requirement whether I'm going melee or ranged, I guess I got too excited about taking him down asap.

Thanks, won't ask anymore durrpy questions, promise.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
NovemberMike said:
One thing you can do is head to 4-1 and pick up the crescent falchion. It's useful because it deals magic damage, which goes through most resistances.
Thanks for the tip, that's the one stage I haven't tried yet. I just got invaded and destroyed while browsing a shopkeepers wares at the very start of 2-1. :lol

Top Bottom