• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Solo

Where is the best place to farm half moon/full moon herbs? I need a bunch. Crescent moon herbs give so little.

Solo said:
Where is the best place to farm half moon/full moon herbs? I need a bunch. Crescent moon herbs give so little.

If you have unlocked 1-3, there. If not, you can take out the Blue Eye knights in 1-2. Go to the Tower Knight Archstone and turn around.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wasn't even aware of it happening but I have 55 Late Moon Grass now. I think I got it from 1-3 from dying to the boss a few times, you have to refight a lot of soldiers that drop it to get to him quickly.

vocab

Solo said:

Ya 1-3 is probably the best. Full clear will net you so many herbs and souls. Good place to farm Red phantoms as well.

Solo

Damnit, I don't have 1-3 yet :(

I just beat Leechmonger and Flamelurker, so I have 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 4-1, and 5-1 done.

So my current options are 2-3 (which seems like a joke and I can get the boss half-killed, but I cannot wield the Dragon Bonecrusher yet because my strength is a bit low, and he keeps burning me on the second part of the fight where it takes me too long to bust through the debris), 3-2 (I'm at the boss but Maneater keeps raping me, especially when the second shows up), 4-2 (I'm just outside the boss area, but the ghosts with the eye lasers keep killing me), and 5-2 (hated this one from the get go - running through poisonous gas all the time, are you fucking kidding me?) - which does GAF suggest is best to try to finish first?

Solo said:

I just beat Leechmonger and Flamelurker, so I have 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 4-1, and 5-1 done.

So my current options are 2-3 (which seems like a joke and I can get the boss half-killed, but I cannot wield the Dragon Bonecrusher yet because my strength is a bit low, and he keeps burning me on the second part of the fight where it takes me too long to bust through the debris), 3-2 (I'm at the boss but Maneater keeps raping me, especially when the second shows up), 4-2 (I'm just outside the boss area, but the ghosts with the eye lasers keep killing me), and 5-2 (hated this one from the get go - running through poisonous gas all the time, are you fucking kidding me?) - which does GAF suggest is best to try to finish first?

4-2 should be the easiest . Don't try to kill the laser eyes guys, kill the reaper instead. When he dies they all die !

It's a great farming spot if you have a decent bow by the way. Prepare bow. Run from the archstone, roll when you fall, target ahead of the manta. Kill manta with bow. Run to the end of the corridor. Shoot the reaper (2 to 3 times should be enough with a decent bow and arrows). ????. Profit.

Edit : just realized you were talking about the second sets of reapers/lasers. Try to run and roll under the lasers (no that easy). You can shoot the reaper from above to get rid of laser guys.

2-3 : hide behind the pilars and only move when he looks away. Incoming attack is announced by red eyes glowing.

For 5-2 you should equip the regen ring and adjudicator's shield (+ a blessed weapon if you have one).

Maneaters are real bitches. Only advice I can give is practice, kill the first one asap, avoid death by falling at all cost and use the stove (?) in the middle as a constant protection between you and the beast(s).

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Solo said:

Maneater of 3-2 was raping me as well until I learned that you can kill the first before entering the fog door with an exploit. You need:

long composite bow (mine was upgraded to 3) + arrows (heavy are preferable) + clever rat's ring (optional, but makes it much easier)

- Drop from ledges near the stairs leading to his room until your HP is below 30% to activate the rat's ring.

- Hug the fog door, on either side would be better for a better view.

- Using the bow, zoom all the way and you'll find the first standing at the end of the bridge (glowing green eyes). Shoot him 'til he's dead (there's an HP gauge over his head). Some reports say it's better to stack around 200 arrows, but with the above strategy it took me less than 60 arrows.

- When you enter the fog door, you'll notice the first's HP meter is empty and the second will appear right away.

It only took me two minutes to perform the exploit. Just don't forget to heal before you enter the fog, and remove the clever rat's ring.

Canova

Banned
Solo said:

equip thief ring and regen ring for 5-2.
Once you have certain equipments, 4-2 should be alot easier

Solo said:

2-3 is probably the easiest to do next. You can destroy every piece of the debris except the last one while hiding behind a pillar and firing soul arrow. You can't lock on obviously so you'll have to aim yourself and you may need to equip a crescent weapon and the fragrant ring to regenerate MP. For the final piece of debris I'd recommend casting water veil and equipping the ring of flame resistance and just making a break for it. Use your weapon two-handed to break through it faster and you should be fine. Once you've got the Dragon God's demon soul you can get the God's Wrath miracle from an NPC you rescue in 4-2 (very useful in the crystal lizards' nest in 2-2) or the spell firestorm from an NPC you rescue in 1-3.

Firestorm is the most powerful fire spell in the game and depending on how high your magic is and what you have equipped it can one hit kill a maneater. If you don't have enough spell memory or MP for firestorm I would recommend using firespray for Maneater. You learn it from Sage Freke after giving Armor Spider's (Hard) demon soul. Just keep retreating while firing and position yourself so that you can dodge to the side when he lunges at you. If you stay focused on the first maneater he should be dead by the time the second one begins to attack.

Solo said:
Thanks for all the tips, everyone! Ill be jumping back in very soon, hopefully with good results!

Another hint for 2-3: If you use a heavy shield, one shield bash (L2) should take out each debris pile.

Solo said:
unlock patches from 4-2. farm 4-2 for souls and just buy the herbs from him (full moon = 1000g, you can easily farm 20-30k souls from 4-2 in about 3 minutes or less without much risk to yourself).

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Rabbitwork said:
unlock patches from 4-2. farm 4-2 for souls and just buy the herbs from him (full moon = 1000g, you can easily farm 20-30k souls from 4-2 in about 3 minutes or less without much risk to yourself).
Ah, I've been looking for a good place to farm for souls, had no idea 4-2 was a good spot. How easy is it though?

What are some of the essential Miracles/Spells for a Dex-based character? I'm going to spend a few skill points in pursuit of at least one of each.

Zoe said:
Hmmm.... is this game known to crash? I've had two reboots over the past day.
I've played three different versions of it and I don't recall it ever crashing. It did freeze once or twice, though.
Jimmy Stav said:
What are some of the essential Miracles/Spells for a Dex-based character? I'm going to spend a few skill points in pursuit of at least one of each.
I guess Warding could be useful, but I never relied on magic with my dex build.

Edit: Oh, I forgot about Evacuate. It's essential to all builds.

Jimmy Stav said:

Besides cursed weapon or light weapon I would say the usual set : second chance, warding, evacuate... No dex centric spell that I can think of...

Jimmy Stav said:
Are all of the spells available from NPCs in the Nexus, or do I have to find them somewhere?

They are all available in the Nexus, but you will need to rescue some NPCs for access to some of them before you can talk to them in the Nexus.

Jimmy Stav said:
Warding
Cursed Weapon use a broken talisman of the beast (using less than the required stats)
Second Chance

should be everything.

Cloak if you want to back stab some fuckers.

all of those are not stat dependent.

Krauser Kat said:
Warding
Cursed Weapon use a broken talisman of the beast (using less than the required stats)
Second Chance

should be everything.

Cloak if you want to back stab some fuckers.

all of those are not stat dependent.

I also seem to be seeing a lot of support for Light Weapon. Now I just need to decide between Warding/Light Weapon/Cursed Weapon. Second Chance is something I'll definitely get.

Solo

Rabbitwork said:

Patches is kinda dead in my game.

Jimmy Stav said:
I also seem to be seeing a lot of support for Light Weapon. Now I just need to decide between Warding/Light Weapon/Cursed Weapon. Second Chance is something I'll definitely get.
Light weapon is very magic stat dependent, and adds magic damage to everything (even pushing) so if you want to put some points into magic use it with an insanity catalyst.
Cursed weapon although takes ups 3 slots will always give you 150% atk DMG.
Sharp Uchi plus cursed or light and just fuck stab some people.

Krauser Kat said:
Light weapon is very magic stat dependent, and adds magic damage to everything (even pushing) so if you want to put some points into magic use it with an insanity catalyst.
Cursed weapon although takes ups 3 slots will always give you 150% atk DMG.
Sharp Uchi plus cursed or light and just fuck stab some people.

So I'm correct in thinking that Cursed Weapon is the way to go?

Where's a good bow that doesn't require a ton of strength? This +1 Compound Short Bow is horrible.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
BaronLundi said:
Dead easy if you have the evacuate spell, a good bow or have a magic character with soul ray.

Just easy otherwise. Very profitable in pure black tendency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWgbba44oME

(I kill the manta first for a little extra, see my post above).
This is amazing. I'm getting 5500 souls per round. I like how there are a couple of white shadows doing the exact same thing with me :lol

Solo

Thanks to whoever mentioned breaking the debris in the 2-3 fight with my shield - after trying that, the fight truly was a joke. Decided to go to 1-3 next, just fought Penetrator for the first time.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I want to turn world 3's tendency into black, I'm assuming I have to play in offline mode and continue suiciding?

Edit: Blah, wiki says suiciding has no effects.

Zzoram

Jinfash said:
I want to turn world 3's tendency into black, I'm assuming I have to play in offline mode and continue suiciding?

Edit: Blah, wiki says suiciding has no effects.
Suiciding works if you're in body form

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I see, well are the extra souls gained from enemies when playing in pure black tendency worth wasting 7 stones of ephemerals?

Jimmy Stav said:
So I'm correct in thinking that Cursed Weapon is the way to go?

Where's a good bow that doesn't require a ton of strength? This +1 Compound Short Bow is horrible.
Yeah cursed weapon is great for low magic builds if you want all your points in dex end vit

if you going dex, long compound sticky bow is the best dex bow. you only 15str to hold it ( i think it only requires 22 str)
Remember all bows automatically use the 1.5 str modifier.
15 =22.5
16=24
17=25.5
18=27

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ugh, enemies' HP is rising, but I'm not getting more souls out of them, or does that only occur in pure black?

Don't tell me I wasted those stones for nothing.

Canova

Banned
Jinfash said:
Ugh, enemies' HP is rising, but I'm not getting more souls out of them, or does that only occur in pure black?

you should get more souls from enemies the darker the world.

Jinfash said:

a full kill of the first manta ray, death, and black skel with the avarice ring should get you 15-16k souls in 2 minutes or so.

i wish i they had a physics based magic air blast spell for trolling pve. blowing that black skeleton off the cliff would be so gratifying.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yes, I finally started getting more souls. Thanks everyone.

I'm assuming pure black is the color of the broken statue in the world tendency menu.

Jinfash said:

Maybe you didn't see it at first because world tendency changes are effective only after a trip back from the nexus.

Solo

Worlds 2 annd 4 complete. Now I just have 1-4, 3-2, 3-3, 5-2 and 5-3 left. Really dreading having to finish World 5. I really fucking hate everything about it. Strange, since the other 4 are so awesome.

Solo

Whoever said to try Firestorm on Maneater was spot-fucking-on. 2 shots to each Maneater, fight over :lol And what the fuck at the World 3 final boss? What a fucking joke! I just blocked all his attacks with my shield and kept hitting him with Soul Ray. Didn't take any damage whatsoever.

Anyways, when I got back to the Nexus, some creepy ass choral, church-like music was playing for some reason unknown to me. I assume its because I've completed 3 worlds. All of 2, all of 3, all of 4 down, and just 1-4 (plus Blue Dragon), 5-2, and 5-3 to go!

Solo said:
Whoever said to try Firestorm on Maneater was spot-fucking-on. 2 shots to each Maneater, fight over :lol And what the fuck at the World 3 final boss? What a fucking joke! I just blocked all his attacks with my shield and kept hitting him with Soul Ray. Didn't take any damage whatsoever.

Anyways, when I got back to the Nexus, some creepy ass choral, church-like music was playing for some reason unknown to me. I assume its because I've completed 3 worlds. All of 2, all of 3, all of 4 down, and just 1-4 (plus Blue Dragon), 5-2, and 5-3 to go!
using fire on maneater makes is such an easier fight. Fire spray also works wonders.

oracrest

Solo said:

Interesting. I first noticed it when I beat the game proper. I always thought it was getting to NG+

It does add a bit of extra coolness to the Nexus to have it playing, especially when it has been so quiet the whole game.

jett

D-Member
Beating the maneaters with melee-only made me feel like a BAWSE.

NG+ btw is kicking my ass. It's like the first hours of your first time through, only you never get over the difficulty curve. :|

Top Bottom