• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

jett said:
Beating the maneaters with melee-only made me feel like a BAWSE.

NG+ btw is kicking my ass. It's like the first hours of your first time through, only you never get over the difficulty curve. :|
I just recently got this game, and yes the first few hours of this game is incredibly frustrating. I make one mistake, and I'm dead.

Zzoram

Jimmy Stav said:
Is there anything to be gained from doing PVP? ? Some dude invaded my world, I killed him, and I didn't appear to get anything for it.
Killing invaders makes your character tendency whiter. Dying to invaders makes you lose a level.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Zzoram said:
Killing invaders makes your character tendency whiter. Dying to invaders makes you lose a level.
What about when you're the invader, are there any benefits beside gaining your physical form? also, is there a downside to invading?

Zoe

Jimmy Stav said:
Not that I'm aware of. I was just standing in front of an NPC while looking at something on my laptop. I didn't see anyone around me.

Do you have anything equipped that could harm you?

Zzoram

Jinfash said:
What about when you're the invader, are there any benefits beside gaining your physical form? also, is there a downside to invading?
Invader loses a level if he uses the white eye stone to leave without killing the host or if he dies by falling or getting hit by a trap.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Zzoram said:
Invader loses a level if he uses the white eye stone to leave without killing the host or if he dies by falling or getting hit by a trap.
But if I simply get defeated by the player, I don't lose any levels? I hope not.

Jeramii

Banned
started this game today... i died twice in the first level when you get the the bridge near and that goddamn dragon pops out. didn't see it coming the first time, and got killed on acciden the second time..... thankfully, i was able to save all the souls i lost upon dying. i'm nervous for what is to come. i'm afraid of using my sword at all. i've been trying to use magic whenever i can from as far away as possible.

i'm playing as a royal.

Solo

deVIZtator said:
I just recently got this game, and yes the first few hours of this game is incredibly frustrating. I make one mistake, and I'm dead.

Thats the way the game goes for the first while. Once you've gotten a few better weapons/items/spells and gained a few soul levels, you start progressing a bit more smoothly. In fact, in some ways I think the game's reputation for being mercilessly brutal isn't quite earned. Yes, its most certainly that in the early going, but at Soul Level 65, I've slaughtered the fuck out of each of the last 4 bosses I have fought, taking minimal damage.

As for my own playthrough, RE: Blue Dragon: what is the quickest way to take him down from his SECOND position?

Solo

Sounds good, magic it is. Thats how I beat his first form. Soul Ray + like 30 fresh spices :lol

Another pressing question: where the fuck did Ostrava go? I saved him, he came to the Nexus for a short time, and I haven't seen him since. Before anyone asks, he disappeared long before I freed Yurt, and I killed Yurt as soon as he reached the Nexus, so Yurt didn't kill him.... so where else does he go?

Solo said:
Another pressing question: where the fuck did Ostrava go? I saved him, he came to the Nexus for a short time, and I haven't seen him since.
How many times have you saved him? If the answer is
, you'll meet him soon.

Canova

Banned
Solo said:
Thats the way the game goes for the first while. Once you've gotten a few better weapons/items/spells and gained a few soul levels, you start progressing a bit more smoothly. In fact, in some ways I think the game's reputation for being mercilessly brutal isn't quite earned. Yes, its most certainly that in the early going, but at Soul Level 65, I've slaughtered the fuck out of each of the last 4 bosses I have fought, taking minimal damage.

As for my own playthrough, RE: Blue Dragon: what is the quickest way to take him down from his SECOND position?

Hyper-mode + heavy arrows + sticky compound long bow+5 (if you have high dexterity)

Solo

archnemesis said:
How many times have you saved him? If the answer is
, you'll meet him soon.

I cannot recall. I saved him in 1-1 from some dredgling, in 1-2 I broke him out of prison....whats the other one?

Canova

Banned
Solo said:
I cannot recall. I saved him in 1-1 from some dredgling, in 1-2 I broke him out of prison....whats the other one?

1-3, when you open the big gate (the shortcut), he's chased by 2 red-eye knights. You should help him kill the red-eyes, if not, they will kill him

Ostrava is not in prison in 1-2, he's just stuck in the corner in the passage underneath the bridge. Biorr is the other NPC who's stuck in prison in 1-2

Solo said:
The last one is 1-3 where you help him fight a few soldiers near the gate in the beginning of the level. Approach the gate from the back, kill the Fat Official, open the gate quickly before Ostrava dies and kill all enemies.

Solo

canova said:
1-3, when you open the big gate (the shortcut), he's chased by 2 red-eye knights. You should help him kill the red-eyes, if not, they will kill him

Ostrava is not in prison in 1-2, he's just stuck in the corner in the passage underneath the bridge. Biorr is the other NPC who's stuck in prison in 1-2

Thats what I meant, under the bridge. Yes, I saved him there. Sadly, I do not recall seeing him when I opened the big gate :( I'm guessing that probably means he is dead and I can't get his key?

Canova

Banned
Solo said:
Thats what I meant, under the bridge. Yes, I saved him there. Sadly, I do not recall seeing him when I opened the big gate :( I'm guessing that probably means he is dead and I can't get his key?

yeah, he's prolly dead. you have to wait for NG+ to access the mausoleum.

next time you see him, just kill him on the spot, to make sure you get the key

Solo

That fucking sucks. My roundabout reasoning for wanting him now is that I wanted his key do that I could kill Doran and get his stamina ring, because from what Im reading, it would prove very beneficial to have in the 1-4 boss fight.

Canova

Banned
Solo said:
That fucking sucks. My roundabout reasoning for wanting him now is that I wanted his key do that I could kill Doran and get his stamina ring, because from what Im reading, it would prove very beneficial to have in the 1-4 boss fight.

nah, that ring is overrated imo, it's almost useless to me.

you'll do just fine without it

jett

D-Member
Solo said:
You don't need that.

The sword that Doran gives you is pretty awesome though...

Solo

Alrighty, I'll see how I fair tonight or tomorrow without it. First off I have to finish Blue Dragon though. Then back to World 5 :(

IrishNinja

as is the armor set, depending on your build.

is it true there's only so many times crystal lizards respawn? im down to just needing marrow stone (gotta keep killing mosquitoes), sharp (need to stop dying in BWT 4-2), and chunks of hardstone, which i need a fuckton of and have like 1. i dont know how many times i can check 2-2 and just keeping hoping.

Canova

Banned
IrishNinja said:
as is the armor set, depending on your build.

is it true there's only so many times crystal lizards respawn? im down to just needing marrow stone (gotta keep killing mosquitoes), sharp (need to stop dying in BWT 4-2), and chunks of hardstone, which i need a fuckton of and have like 1. i dont know how many times i can check 2-2 and just keeping hoping.

yes it's limited

the lizards respawn each time after you kill a boss. so at most, the will respawn 4 times (5 times in world one)

chunk of hardstones are plentiful in 1-3 and 1-4

Gaaraz

Really don't understand this game at all, I completed the tutorial, then played through some of the first level where I played some slightly tedious and out-dated gameplay, died a hell of a lot and after about 3 hours of playing, I'm no further than when I started. Ahh? :(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Cloudius12 said:
It seem it was not Jan 2nd but the 3rd(today) is when the event ends
http://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/statuses/21993300747616258
Argh, I have world 4 set to black to grind souls, I have to get enough asap then log in to convert it back to white, before the deadline. I really don't wanna be stuck on black on that world.

A question about changing the world tendency: when the event ends while I'm offline, I'll retain the PWT right? and if I commit suicide in the Nexus every time I regain my, that won't have any effects unlike if I die in body form in any of the worlds?

Zoe

Jinfash said:
Argh, I have world 4 set to black to grind souls, I have to get enough asap then log in to convert it back to white, before the deadline. I really don't wanna be stuck on black on that world.

? The 3rd has come and gone...

roxya

blizeH said:
Really don't understand this game at all, I completed the tutorial, then played through some of the first level where I played some slightly tedious and out-dated gameplay, died a hell of a lot and after about 3 hours of playing, I'm no further than when I started. Ahh? :(

If you're having lots of trouble with the first level, then maybe you're not learning from your mistakes. Take it slow, be cautious, don't be greedy trying to get that extra hit. Or start again as Royalty, the first level is a lot easier with magic.

I don't think you'll find many people agreeing with your "out-dated" comment, though. I can't think of a game I've played that controls so well. Even the camera is spot on, so many devs can't do a 3rd person camera properly!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
canova said:
yes it's limited

the lizards respawn each time after you kill a boss. so at most, the will respawn 4 times (5 times in world one)

chunk of hardstones are plentiful in 1-3 and 1-4
!!!

So in order to farm as many of them as possible, I should go for a round hunting them after every boss I defeat?

I've wasted so many :\

Lince

Banned
blizeH said:

stuck in 1-1 for 3 hours ? seems to me you're playing this game as some generic hack&slash or something... for the first couple of days with this game you got to be patient, take the game slowly, learn the enemy attack patterns and keep an eye on your stamina at all times or you'll find yourself unable to perform basic actions such as rolling/evading or blocking. Start over again (as a Royal) if you need to, the game of the generation is waiting for you.

jett

D-Member
Man getting spiderstones is a goddamn BEEATCH. I need like 13 shards to get my +5 Sticky Compound Long Bow.

BTW What's a good melee weapon with DEX bonus?

Lince

Banned
Jinfash said:
!!!

So in order to farm as many of them as possible, I should go for a round hunting them after every boss I defeat?

I've wasted so many :\

or you can reload the game after killing and farming one, ie. the 2-2 pit full of lizards you can just drop down cast God's Wrath, get the loot, position yourself in the middle of the pit and reload the game to immediately cast GW again. I usually waited until I had defeated all the bosses in one world to farm the lizards, kill one, position myself and reload to immediately farm the same lizard. Enemies already killed won't respawn while doing this so it's much easier.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Lince said:
or you can reload the game after killing and farming one, ie. the 2-2 pit full of lizards you can just drop down cast God's Wrath, get the loot, position yourself in the middle of the pit and reload the game to immediately cast GW again. I usually waited until I had defeated all the bosses in one world to farm the lizards, kill one, position myself and reload to immediately farm the same lizard. Enemies already killed won't respawn while doing this so it's much easier.
That good to know, but then again that doesn't make them limited when this method is exploited, doesn't it. Also, I thought the game doesn't respawn enemies when you quit and load, I guess I'm wrong on that front too.

Anyhow, thanks for all the tips guys. I get so annoyingly inquisitive when playing these kind kids of games, I wouldn't even help this version of me.

Canova

Banned
jett said:
Man getting spiderstones is a goddamn BEEATCH. I need like 13 shards to get my +5 Sticky Compound Long Bow.

BTW What's a good melee weapon with DEX bonus?

sharp uchi+5 or hitless+5

Solo

One thing I really hope Project Dark (and inevitably, DS2) does better than DS is be a lot less vague about, well, everything. If it weren't for GAF and FAQs, I wouldn't have had any of idea of how much of anything in the game works. Shit, Im still not entirely clear on Tendency.

Lince

Banned
Jinfash said:
That good to know, but then again that doesn't make them limited when this method is exploited, doesn't it. Also, I thought the game doesn't respawn enemies when you quit and load, I guess I'm wrong on that front too.

you don't need to quit, just get the loot from the lizards position yourself and reload the game from the System menu, no need to quit to the main menu. And yes, enemies already killed won't respawn when you do this, only the lizards will.

Canova

Banned
Solo said:
One thing I really hope Project Dark (and inevitably, DS2) does better than DS is be a lot less vague about, well, everything. If it weren't for GAF and FAQs, I wouldn't have had any of idea of how much of anything in the game works. Shit, Im still not entirely clear on Tendency.

oh you have no idea how much you still don't know about this game. Once you engage in hundreds of hundreds of PvP that's when you realize how much depth this game has.

sadly the amount of PvP has shrunk tremendously from the beginning last year when I started playing

jett said:
thanx, I think i have a bunch of bladestones...

edit: only shards, i don't have anything else. FML.
time grind more than you ever have in the game, getting chunks and pure blade stone could take a quite a bit of trips. what is your SL?

jett

D-Member
Krauser Kat said:
time grind more than you ever have in the game, getting chunks and pure blade stone could take a quite a bit of trips. what is your SL?
80-90...I think I'm gonna have to desist in that. I don't like grinding in any game.

oracrest

Solo said:

He is difficult because you can't just open the door and boom they are there fighting. It takes some time.

the last time I opened that door, I was invaded by a black phantom at that same time, and that was probably the most intense fight I had ever had in the game. If I lose, then Ostrava dies too. It was a long and calculated battle, but i managed to kill him, and even then, Ostrava was just getting into a fight with the knights up top of the first flight of stairs.

Just hang around that area for a while next time you open the door, and he will show up (next playthrough.)

Solo

If only there would be a next playthough. I love the game to death but there is no way in hell I'm playing it again :lol

canova said:
oh you have no idea how much you still don't know about this game. Once you engage in hundreds of hundreds of PvP that's when you realize how much depth this game has.

sadly the amount of PvP has shrunk tremendously from the beginning last year when I started playing

That's my point. Why From Software decided to hide so much of what makes the game amazing is frustrating as hell and completely beyond me.

Top Bottom